• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Hey! No one reads my day planner but me!

Seriously. No game should get a character in Smash just by existing. Zelda is Nintendo’s number two and it has so few characters competitively.
I mean:

Said it once, said it again.

Zelda, and Smash in general, has main character bias, and Zelda's main characters are the triforce trio.

I'd love another one-off character like Sheik, but it's abundantly clear that Smash likes keeping Zelda focused around the core philosophy of the Triforce.

Likewise, Fire Emblem is like Pokemon, it's a revolving door of "This is the new FotM".

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Maybe Sakurai should just make a dedicated Fire Emblem game and get it all out of his system.
I mean:

Said it once, said it again.

Zelda, and Smash in general, has main character bias, and Zelda's main characters are the triforce trio.

I'd love another one-off character like Sheik, but it's abundantly clear that Smash likes keeping Zelda focused around the core philosophy of the Triforce.

Likewise, Fire Emblem is like Pokemon, it's a revolving door of "This is the new FotM".
And like I’ve said before. That’s cheating.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe Sakurai should just make a dedicated Fire Emblem game and get it all out of his system.

And like I’ve said before. That’s cheating.
No it isn't.

If Hero were a Nintendo property, he'd probably be the same.

You can't expect an RPG series that's existed for 20 years to just focus on 1 small bunch of characters unless it's a series that only focuses on 1 small bunch of characters.

RPGs are vastly different from your Zeldas and Marios. You KNOW who to expect in a Zelda or Mario game. Every RPG, unless it's a direct sequel, is a brand new world entirely.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No it isn't.

If Hero were a Nintendo property, he'd probably be the same.

You can't expect an RPG series that's existed for 20 years to just focus on 1 small bunch of characters unless it's a series that only focuses on 1 small bunch of characters.

RPGs are vastly different from your Zeldas and Marios. You KNOW who to expect in a Zelda or Mario game. Every RPG, unless it's a direct sequel, is a brand new world entirely.
If it has to be that way, then make the slot a revolving door. Keep Marth and Ike for nostalgia and gameplay, and then the third slot is for this weeks new generic FE protagonist. Don’t keep them around piling up till there’s 8 of them.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
RLM let the cat out of the bag when they said that and there's no going back. So should we not scrutinize corporate decisions and just take any scraps given to us? :yoshi:
You should question, it's good to get clarity.

My issue is that image has been so misused to the point where it's nothing more than an ad hominem at the best.

Shroob

Sup?
If it has to be that way, then make the slot a revolving door. Keep Marth and Ike for nostalgia and gameplay, and then the third slot is for this weeks new generic FE protagonist. Don’t keep them around piling up till there’s 8 of them.
Why does number matter outside of your perceived bias?

Having 8 Fire Emblem characters doesn't take anything away from the roster.

Cutting characters that are entirely unique just because they're from a series you're not a fan of?

Jesus Snake, I thought you were all about inclusivity, starting to sound like the talking Peach here.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Shiny Gardevoir... was not expecting that to be my first Shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Sword.

The only downside it has is that its stuck with Telepathy because the Ability Capsule doesn't flip Hidden Abilities, but that's fine. I'll make it work regardless.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Thie one's pretty good too:

IMG_20200116_190851.jpg

I feel like discussion about Byleth is pretty much going in circles. Heck, I was just posting in the speculation thread about it and was debating it for a while before I realized how pointless it is to debate it.

I'm just gonna wait for the 28th in peace. I'm not gonna try to change anyone's mind: If they don't like it, they don't like it. It's just gonna lead to pointless arguments and that's of course, a waste of everyone's time.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why does number matter outside of your perceived bias?

Having 8 Fire Emblem characters doesn't take anything away from the roster.

Cutting characters that are entirely unique just because they're from a series you're not a fan of?

Jesus Snake, I thought you were all about inclusivity, starting to sound like the talking Peach here.
For a split second I thought you were talking about the VeggieTales character and I was like “the **** does he have to do with it”.

And it’s the same reason I want Injusticd to limit Batman characters or Marvel vs Capcom to limit X-Men characters. If one part of a crossover gets disproportionately big, then it throws the whole crossover idea out of wack.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 258222

I feel like discussion about Byleth is pretty much going in circles. Heck, I was just posting in the speculation thread about it and was debating it for a while before I realized how pointless it is to debate it.

I'm just gonna wait for the 28th in peace. I'm not gonna try to change anyone's mind: If they don't like it, they don't like it. It's just gonna lead to pointless arguments and that's of course, a waste of everyone's time.
Just be like me with Hero and wait for everybody to accept them begrudgingly. It works.

Shroob

Sup?
For a split second I thought you were talking about the VeggieTales character and I was like “the **** does he have to do with it”.

And it’s the same reason I want Injusticd to limit Batman characters or Marvel vs Capcom to limit X-Men characters. If one part of a crossover gets disproportionately big, then it throws the whole crossover idea out of wack.
Someone tried using this logic about 3rd party characters as well, saying they "Ruined the purity of the roster"

They ended up being a legit white supremacist irl

Just saying

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I just realized from Byleths reveal that the usual loud people causal Smash community are soo...

Drone-like.

Like I get people get upset but these guys seem to never ever say it like it “Aww man” it’s always has to be “GRRRAAHHH”.

It’s just soo ****ing shallow, it’s like that’s almost all they do, they yell, yell, yell and yell again. Either from excitement from mostly just their MW or outright thirst of rage for something they don’t like. Why they get called out, they throw in the “I have the right to be disappointed” ****, trying to throw the narrative to their favor for their immaturity

The fact that thousands do this (At least in Twitter) kind of says something other than being probably a minority (At least Byleths has more likes still).

Sure I can’t be soo down especially since it’s the opinions of some like this but I’m seeing this everywhere. They just won’t stop, no matter.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Someone tried using this logic about 3rd party characters as well, saying they "Ruined the purity of the roster"

Just saying
Look. If you want to get me to stop then calling me evil isn't a good way to do it. I am not a racist for thinking Fire Emblem has to many characters compared to it's size and compared to how many other bigger franchises have. It's not evil to want a crossover to feature everyone somewhat equally and not just be "X-Men and Friends vs. Capcom" or "Batman and some other guys: The game".

Shroob

Sup?
Look. If you want to get me to stop then calling me evil isn't a good way to do it. I am not a racist for thinking Fire Emblem has to many characters compared to it's size and compared to how many other bigger franchises have. It's not evil to want a crossover to feature everyone somewhat equally and not just be "X-Men and Friends vs. Capcom" or "Batman and some other guys: The game".
I'm not calling you evil

I'm just saying that evil people have openly expressed your same line of thinking regarding this matter.

Like, ignoring this is a video game for a second, if you completely ignore that, then you get:

"Wow, you guys are from there? We already have too many of you"

Yeah, there's no good way to make that not sound horrible.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just realized from Byleths reveal that the usual loud people causal Smash community are soo...

Drone-like.

Like I get people get upset but these guys seem to never ever say it like it “Aww man” it’s always has to be “GRRRAAHHH”.

It’s just soo ****ing shallow, it’s like that’s almost all they do, they yell, yell, yell and yell again. Either from excitement from mostly just their MW or outright thirst of rage for something they don’t like. Why they get called out, they throw in the “I have the right to be disappointed” ****, trying to throw the narrative to their favor for their immaturity

The fact that thousands do this (At least in Twitter) kind of says something other than being probably a minority (At least Byleths has more likes still).

Sure I can’t be soo down especially since it’s the opinions of some like this but I’m seeing this everywhere. They just won’t stop, no matter.
Hey, up until now I've been cooperative. I've said numerous times that I'd be okay with, even excited for, anyone except another Fire Emblem character.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

My issue is that image has been so misused to the point where it's nothing more than an ad hominem at the best.
It was used a lot during post-The Last Jedi and it was absolutely relevant then. The amount of apologetics and logic skirting around that movie was palpable and it seemed like it was the investment these people put into Disney Star Wars that was the main problem.

I can absolutely see this happening with Smash where the weight of--hmm, not "bad" per se but "strange"--decisions starts to crash through the floor and there will still be those that think everything Sakurai does is the best, 4D chess, perfectly-foreseen move. That quote would be relevant in that case. :yoshi:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm not calling you evil

I'm just saying that evil people have openly expressed your same line of thinking regarding this matter.

Like, ignoring this is a video game for a second, if you completely ignore that, then you get:

Except it IS a video game. I don't talk or think like this about real people! That would be horrible!

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Hey, up until now I've been cooperative. I've said numerous times that I'd be okay with, even excited for, anyone except another Fire Emblem character.
I don’t mean you, I just mean the loud group from stuff like twitter and YouTube. It’s already draining me.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I got the new sombre skin out of my free loot box for the even! Let’s ****ing go!

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

View attachment 258222

I'm stealing this! It's prefect!
Marth is there because he's the original; Chrom and Lucina are there because they're massively popular and their game saved the franchise; Ike, Robin, Corrin, and Byleth are there because they have drastically different gameplay from the others and they're from the newest game at the time of their original inclusion; and Roy is our boy.

It would make no sense to completely cut an interesting, diverse moveset because "this series takes up too many slots," and also, there are 8 Fire Emblem characters for the same reason there are 80+ characters, 3 Links, and a useless rat that injures itself: "EVERYONE IS HERE."

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm not calling you evil

Shroob. Don't. That's guilt by association :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
Except it IS a video game. I don't talk or think like this about real people! That would be horrible!
So then, what's the problem?

Mario has 10 characters, almost 20 if you count off the series that spun off from Mario.

Almost a 4th of the roster could be said to be "Mario" yet no one complains.

And no "They all play the same!" is factually incorrect. Over half the Fire emblem characters are completely unique.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don’t mean you, I just mean the loud group from stuff like twitter and YouTube. It’s already draining me.
It's been draining me too. My honest advice? Leave the Smash parts of the internet for a while. I'm honestly thinking about leaving for a while if things don't calm down.

I thought the hate wouldn't bug me, but I'm not gonna lie, seeing something you like cause so much strife, disappointment, and arguments is a legit bummer. I'd much rather leave and keep my hype for Byleth than stay and start feeling bad for liking it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Just saying
People regularly had this opinion in the Brawl era simply because they liked the fact that it was a crossover of Nintendo characters and they thought it lost its charm when other companies got involved. Before Snake it was entirely common.

Trying to equate it to white supremacy is ridiculous. You're not a racist because you don't want Goku or Iron Man in Smash Bros. Sakurai doesn't want Goku or Iron Man in Smash Bros.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So then, what's the problem?

Mario has 10 characters, almost 20 if you count off the series that spun off from Mario.

Almost a 4th of the roster could be said to be "Mario" yet no one complains.

And no "They all play the same!" is factually incorrect. Over half the Fire emblem characters are completely unique.
I can't answer that. Because no matter what answer I give you're gonna turn that into "that's how the racists think" and I do NOT need another reason to be depressed.

D

Deleted member

In the end, it's not really about who Fighter #5 is...

It's about the friends we made along the way.
Your real friends will be the ones who meme Baboom after a fighter reveal. If they don't do that, are they really healthy for you?

Shroob

Sup?
People regularly had this opinion in the Brawl era simply because they liked the fact that it was a crossover of Nintendo characters and they thought it lost its charm when other companies got involved. Before Snake it was entirely common.

Trying to equate it to white supremacy is ridiculous. You're not a racist because you don't want Goku or Iron Man in Smash Bros. Sakurai doesn't want Goku or Iron Man in Smash Bros.
I'm moreso relating that to a very certain user who thankfully was banned ages ago.

I can't answer that. Because no matter what answer I give you're gonna turn that into "that's how the racists think" and I do NOT need another reason to be depressed.
It's fine to just admit "I don't like Fire Emblem".

Spoilers, neither do I, but the "waaaah fire emblem" whining that this fanbase does consistently honestly makes me stan it moreso out of defiance.

If you don't like/care for it, that's more than okay, but trying to say "We have too many" in a game that's probably going to have close to 90 characters is ludicrous.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
It's been draining me too. My honest advice? Leave the Smash parts of the internet for a while. I'm honestly thinking about leaving for a while if things don't calm down.

I thought the hate wouldn't bug me, but I'm not gonna lie, seeing something you like cause so much strife, disappointment, and arguments is a legit bummer. I'd much rather leave and keep my hype for Byleth than stay and start feeling bad for liking it.
Yeah, that’s true. Which is surprising since I only just came back to the smash scene recently (Like a few days ago) and maybe it’s not that it’s draining me and more like I realized a bit more of the problems of the casual Smash community. They don’t seem to stop.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm moreso relating that to a very certain user who thankfully was banned ages ago.

It's fine to just admit "I don't like Fire Emblem".

Spoilers, neither do I, but the "waaaah fire emblem" whining that this fanbase does consistently honestly makes me stan it moreso out of defiance.

If you don't like/care for it, that's more than okay, but trying to say "We have too many" in a game that's probably going to have close to 90 characters is ludicrous.
Okay. But I will say this. I said it before. But it’s like adding a Shoto to Street Fighter. No matter how differently they play, if your not a fan of them, they’re all gonna feel redundant.

Like, I frequently forget that Ike’s not a clone. And the only reason I don’t with Robin and Corrin is the book and the rage.

I just don’t feel like I can talk about not liking things. Because people always ask for reasons. And if I say anything other then “personal preference”, like say why it doesn’t align with my personal preference, or mention that it’s personal preference every 5 words, then people keep trying to tear down and invalidate those reasons until I’m angry. Like there’s no reason to not like something other then “just because”.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

I've never seen it be used correctly to be honest. Just a cheap lazy way to put down people that express their like for something.

But of course it's from RLM so it further poisoning the well when it comes to discussing media isn't surprising.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bada-bing, bada-baboom!
Bada-bing, bada-baboom!

Honestly while I do understand FE fatigue now as Ultimate gave FE more overall representation, I feel validated as hell for Byleth despite having actively said they wouldn't happen. I think that at some point, people complaining about Fire Emblem just turned into white noise for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom