• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
In all seriousness it’s messed up and I hope it gets fixed soon.

Why is no one doing anything about it? That’s my question.
An interesting point that came on my timeline--2019 will be the year when a building caught on fire, the media covered it non-stop and billionaires rushed to restore it, the same year the Amazon has been burning for 3 weeks--no media coverage, no billionaires helping out.

The media routinely ignores these types of events because ultimately it's financially profitable to companies with investments in these regions to not cover these topics. It's not that the reporters don't care or are told not to cover it--it's manufactured consent, they were hired because they instinctively know what the company wants/doesn't want them to cover, and rationalize it by saying they're covering as much as public interest allows it. I won't delve too into it, because it can be political, but that's my first thought when that question is posed. People care more about short term profits than long term prosperity.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
An interesting point that came on my timeline--2019 will be the year when a building caught on fire, the media covered it non-stop and billionaires rushed to restore it, the same year the Amazon has been burning for 3 weeks--no media coverage, no billionaires helping out.

The media routinely ignores these types of events because ultimately it's financially profitable to companies with investments in these regions to not cover these topics. It's not that the reporters don't care or are told not to cover it--it's manufactured consent, they were hired because they instinctively know what the company wants/doesn't want them to cover, and rationalize it by saying they're covering as much as public interest allows it. I won't delve too into it, because it can be political, but that's my first thought when that question is posed. People care more about short term profits than long term prosperity.
This. This bolder statement. This is why nothing ever gets fixed. We need to stop caring about wether or not it’s politics and just start helping people.

Or if we can’t, can I at least get a job torturing these people in hell?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This. This bolder statement. This is why nothing ever gets fixed. We need to stop caring about wether or not it’s politics and just start helping people.

Or if we can’t, can I at least get a job torturing these people in hell?
Oh, in other mediums, I have no problem talking about it. Though, on forums like these, I usually try to err on the side of caution. But I agree with the point--we shouldn't be afraid to talk about these matters, particularly environmental ones that (should) transcend polarizing politics, so long as any disagreements are civil.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
That sucks. I have those days too sometimes, maybe you just need to relax a bit.
I can begin truly relaxing once I get hired somewhere. That's the biggest thing on my mind right now. My paychecks from old workplace stop at the end of the month. So I only have about a week and a half left before things get desperate if I don't get any offers.

And by "desperate", I mean a little more on edge. I'm not in a financially dire situation by any means, but I know that I gotta get income from somewhere, and I don't want to be without steady pay.

I know I'm probably exaggerating a little, but my career is a very high priority.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I can begin truly relaxing once I get hired somewhere. That's the biggest thing on my mind right now. My paychecks from old workplace stop at the end of the month. So I only have about a week and a half left before things get desperate if I don't get any offers.

And by "desperate", I mean a little more on edge. I'm not in a financially dire situation by any means, but I know that I gotta get income from somewhere, and I don't want to be without steady pay.

I know I'm probably exaggerating a little, but my career is a very high priority.
I'm sure you'll get something, sometimes it just takes a little time. Don't give up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyone else’s DQXIS demo crash after a certain point in the story? I was trying to get some items for the girl to borrow her dog and then the game crashed

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While we should do something about the planet for our sake (Making it otherwise unhabitable for us) and the animals. Just know earth suffered from worst.

So as a whole the planet will be fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian–Triassic_extinction_event
It reminds me of one of George Carlin's best lines.

"The planet is fine--the people are ****ed."

I'm not as cynical as Carlin, and do believe if we put ourselves in the proper context of all of human history that we have made progress and still can... but admittedly some events make it reeeeeeeally hard to retain that optimism.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So you've become apathetic to the genocide too? Man, I miss when my biggest concerns were **** like if I could beat Egg Emperor or not in Sonic Heroes
To be fair, wild fires aren't anything new. They've been happening long before firetrucks and helicopters existed, and while my heart goes out to the families effected by it, I don't think you're a bad person for not wanting to hop on a plane and fly directly to the Brazilian president and demand that he do something.

No one is obligated to treat every natural disaster as their top priority. If a prayer is the most you feel like doing, that's fine.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, that's another Demo I want to get. DQXI looks rather interesting. I haven't played a DQ game since DQ 2 and Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey. So basically classic Random Encounters(my favorite style).

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I like how in DQB2, the same boy that asked you to make a shower with windows for a bunch of buff men and told you "any depraved thoughts are a product of your own depraved mind" ended up changing his job to a dancer after you come back to the island hes on, bunny suit and all

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, wild fires aren't anything new. They've been happening long before firetrucks and helicopters existed, and while my heart goes out to the families effected by it, I don't think you're a bad person for not wanting to hop on a plane and fly directly to the Brazilian president and demand that he do something.

No one is obligated to treat every natural disaster as their top priority. If a prayer is the most you feel like doing, that's fine.
This is a lot more than a mere wildfire, not to mention wildfires are with dry forests, which the Amazon isn't.

There's a difference between "I don't expect the Brazilian president to do anything about it as he's already pointing fingers and kept saying he wanted to get rid of the Amazon" and complete apathy. The former is being pessimistic. The latter is, to be frank, inhumane

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

This is not just a natural disaster, many of the fires are man made to make space for cattle. Even if it was a natural disaster, it does not change that nothing is being done to stop it.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is a lot more than a mere wildfire, not to mention wildfires are with dry forests, which the Amazon isn't.

There's a difference between "I don't expect the Brazilian president to do anything about it as he's already pointing fingers and kept saying he wanted to get rid of the Amazon" and complete apathy. The former is being pessimistic. The latter is, to be frank, inhumane
I don't think the user you initially responded to was saying they don't care if a large fire consumes the Amazon forest and leaves hundreds of people homeless. Obviously they do care, but not to the same extent as other people who're going on Twitter sharing this with everyone they know.

And that's fine if that's how they truly feel. Again, I don't consider you to be apathetic or inhumane for taking stance. I don't expect anyone to give an equal amount of attention to every bad or controversial thing that happens in their already busy life.

This is not just a natural disaster, many of the fires are man made to make space for cattle. Even if it was a a natural disaster, it does not change that nothing is being done to stop it.
Natural or not, the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't do us any good to point fingers at each other and say, "People are dying! The planet is suffering! Why aren't you taking this more seriously?!"

Yes, action does need to be taken, but I don't think it's fair to dump the problem on anyone else aside from the Brazilian government. If the Brazilian government doesn't want to help, get mad at them, not at the people around you.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't think the user you initially responded to was saying they don't care if a large fire consumes the Amazon forest and leaves hundreds of people homeless. Obviously they do care, but not to the same extent as other people who're going on Twitter sharing this with everyone they know.

And that's fine if that's how they truly feel. Again, I don't consider you to be apathetic or inhumane for taking stance. I don't expect anyone to give an equal amount of attention to every bad or controversial thing that happens in their already busy life.

Natural or not, the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't do us any good to point fingers at each other and say, "People are dying! The planet is suffering! Why aren't you taking this more seriously?!"

Yes, action does need to be taken, but I don't think it's fair to dump the problem on anyone else aside from the Brazilian government. If the Brazilian government doesn't want to help, get mad at them, not at the people around you.
Wait. You think people going "Holy **** this is huge more people need to know this is" is "WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING?!"? Cause uhhh. Nobody's expecting anyone to help, people are just spreading the news because this is a disaster yet it barely gets talked about. If you genuinely believe that actually reporting on stuff that will impact you and your family is looking down on you for not being able to do anything, that's on you

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wait. You think people going "Holy **** this is huge more people need to know this is" is "WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING?!"? Cause uhhh. Nobody's expecting anyone to help, people are just spreading the news because this is a disaster yet it barely gets talked about. If you genuinely believe that actually reporting on stuff that will impact you and your family is looking down on you for not being able to do anything, that's on you
Making more people aware of the issue is fine, and it's something we should be doing.

The only issue I had was with this tone you had with the other user.

So you've become apathetic to the genocide too? Man, I miss when my biggest concerns were **** like if I could beat Egg Emperor or not in Sonic Heroes
You made it sound like they were bad for being aware of the problem but not showing the level of interest that you wanted, which isn't really fair at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Making more people aware of the issue is fine, and it's something we should be doing.

The only issue I had was with this tone you had with the other user.

You made it sound like they were bad for being aware of the problem but not showing the level of interest that you wanted, which isn't really fair at all.
I mean, if the most emotion you can muster at literal genocide and severe destruction of the climate is complete apathy then what would the 'fair' response be? "Ah, sorry to bother you about how extreme **** is happening"? If you don't care about a severe, negative impact to your one and only life, are you even human?

Regardless, I'm off to bed as it's too damn late to be aware of how likely it is I will die before becoming 50

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
notlikethis

help me pick out a name for my character
I always have an existential crisis every time a game asks me to name a character. I usually go with my name, but then Let's Go made me name the rival.

Ummmm... I should probably help... um... Pumpernickle... why is that coming to my mind...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I mean, if the most emotion you can muster at literal genocide and severe destruction of the climate is complete apathy then what would the 'fair' response be? "Ah, sorry to bother you about how extreme **** is happening"? If you don't care about a severe, negative impact to your one and only life, are you even human?

Regardless, I'm off to bed as it's too damn late to be aware of how likely it is I will die before becoming 50
If you are seriously saying "If you don't care about a severe, negative impact to your one and only life, are you even human?" it just sounds like you are undermining someone's value as a person, and that's taking it too far, I won't lie.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, extreme negativity gets EXHAUSTING fast, so I can see why not as much people are talking about the Amazon as they do for any other tragedy that happened way earlier in the year.

I mean, I surely don't feel outraged. Maybe a little upset, but after so kuch negativity being shoved down my throat, I just can't get mad anymore. Literally all Twitter is is the same Trump hashtag that boomers keep repeating, like you can't make up how hamfisted negativity is.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Can you give some context to what you're saying?
He said "We understand the importance of the Amazon for the world – but the Amazon is ours," deflecting any concerns of deforestation by exaggerating that they are better for the environment than other countries, and rather than acknowledging his policies that lead to these wildfires, is blaming everything else, including NGOs (environmental groups).

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Tbh, extreme negativity gets EXHAUSTING fast, so I can see why not as much people are talking about the Amazon as they do for any other tragedy that happened way earlier in the year.

I mean, I surely don't feel outraged. Maybe a little upset, but after so kuch negativity being shoved down my throat, I just can't get mad anymore. Literally all Twitter is is the same Trump hashtag that boomers keep repeating, like you can't make up how hamfisted negativity is.
Pretty much this. I don't watch the news for this reason... I just have to remember that positivity is out there. I feel like this quote from Fred Rogers summarizes what I'm talking about very well.

"To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers ― so many caring people in this world.”

I ****ing love Mr. Rogers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom