• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just saw the "casuals can't possibly tell sword fighters apart!!!" argument a few pages ago and...really?

I'm as casual as they come and I'm asking myself what kind of person would think Robin and Lucina fight remotely similar. Not to mention one of the reasons Ike and Roy became so popular was their contrast with Marth.

Last edited:

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
Fellas, does anyone know if the presentation tomorrow is going to be a livestream or just a video uploaded at the time?

Shroob

Sup?
Grant Kirkhope

He straight up said don’t get your hopes up for Banjo when he knew the whole time
Makes ya wonder just how long he knew.

If Microsoft discussions were happening all the way back during and before E32018, surely Grant would have some knowledge.

Played us like a damn fiddle for over a year he did.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Thought of this little scenario at work for my Paper Mario ideas and I’m considering doing more writing for it if I like how it turns out. Thoughts?
Daisy first appears dressed in her sports attire wearing roller skates and wielding a tennis racket (both would be used in her moves) and after she agrees to join Peach’s party, she changes into her princess dress still wearing the roller skates, skating around Peach in circles.
:ultpeach:: “Are you...still wearing your skates?”
:ultdaisy:: “Yep. Practice with them all the time in my dresses. Only tripped once.”
:ultpeach:: “Don’t your gowns get dirty or torn?”
:ultdaisy:: “I had them all laminated.”
:ultpeach:: “I’m just surprised you’re not sticking with your sport clothes for this.”
:ultdaisy:: “ I thought about it, but if I did, those mobs would think I’d have a tennis racket on me if I wore that. They’d never suspect I was carrying both that and my rollerblades under my dress. They’d come across us thinking “Oh hey look! A couple of princesses walking by unsuspectingly. They can’t be armed, LET’S GET THEM!” They challenge us to a battle and BAM! One rollerblade kick and tennis racket beating later, that start reevaluating their personal biases.”
:ultpeach:: “...”
:ultdaisy:: “Well, let’s get a move on! I always wanted to kick Bowser’s shell!”
Unnamed pencil character: “She’s quite a character, isn’t she?”

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if any tracks from BK or DQ will get the Aria of the Soul treatment and have a super energic remix of a calm track.

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder if any tracks from BK or DQ will get the Aria of the Soul treatment and have a super energic remix of a calm track.
I mean, it's already happened to Spiral Mountain.

Spiral Mountain's pretty relaxing and slow paced in the original game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So, I'm probably going to start the hunt for a job next month. At the very least sometime before the end of the year.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous about the prospect of it.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But see, this is the problem I'm trying to emphasize. You're still talking about it from an expert/competitive level, not on a casual level (or if you don't like my terminology, attentive casual vs passive casual). All the moves felt like "swinging a sword" to me, except for the one I mentioned, which actually felt unique when playing. But if I have to go into training mode and test out every option, or go on the Wiki to tell moves a part, to "feel" like they're different, they're not unique enough to me and are interchangable from my perspective. It's why I picked those two specifically (and for comparisons sake, I played them both against K Rool on a random Battlefield stage).

We don't disagree on any factual matters. But the test was whether or not those characters could "feel" different to me, a subjective question, and my incredibly unscientific test that I did for my own personal use that I mentioned casually concluded no. The same for whenever those characters popped up in random scenarios. I *am* playing the game, just how I like to play it, and if others want to play it differently, that's up to them. :upsidedown:
Iunno, the way you're describing it seems more like you're confusing the word "feel" with "look".
i literally just said you need to play a few games as those characters to understand they cannot be played the same way. the only semblance of something "competitive" i said was that you could use marth and ike's fair the same way more or less, 'cept ikes will always kill and marth has to be spaced right. if you put time into playing a character you will grow to learn them, that goes for any situation casual or competitive. i could literally play k rool and dk, look at some of their moves and animations and just assume k rool is literally dk with projectiles. but if you spend time with any character you will figure out what makes them different from everyone else. that comes with playing the game.

why do people play the best with their main character? its generally because its the one they've played the most and understand most of their options/what they can and cant do in certain situations. why aren't you good with other characters compared to your main? generally because you havent spent nearly as much time on them as others, so you dont know what to do with them or what you can get away with. that said, it's not very fair to say you think two characters are too similar if (assumingly) you've spent little to no time one or the either.

like if you wanna just see that the character visibly looks different from everyone sure i get that, but its still a 70+ man video game so you will see overlap in every regard. ike wields a two-handed blade with one hand, and visibly you can see and feel the power in each swing compared to marth. there's an sort of elegance into each swipe for him, whilst ike's slashes are much more rigid and abrupt. i think he looks different enough as is, so i mean if all you're getting from the character is "guy uses sword" then just dont play the character and call them unoriginal because you're not really putting a lot of thought into the argument from a visible standpoint either.

of course the characters feel samey to you, im pretty sure you barely play either of them

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I for one can't wait for the Death Metal cover of Freeze Easy Peak.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, I'm probably going to start the hunt for a job next month. At the very least sometime before the end of the year.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous about the prospect of it.
Ayyy nervous job hunt buddies

Thought of this little scenario at work for my Paper Mario ideas and I’m considering doing more writing for it if I like how it turns out. Thoughts?
Daisy first appears dressed in her sports attire wearing roller skates and wielding a tennis racket (both would be used in her moves) and after she agrees to join Peach’s party, she changes into her princess dress still wearing the roller skates, skating around Peach in circles.
:ultdaisy:: “Yep. Practice with them all the time in my dresses. Only tripped once.”
:ultpeach:: “I’m just surprised you’re not sticking with your sport clothes for this.”
:ultdaisy:: “ I thought about it, but if I did, those mobs would think I’d have a tennis racket on me if I wore that. They’d never suspect I was carrying both that and my rollerblades under my dress. They’d come across us thinking “Oh hey look! A couple of princesses walking by unsuspectingly. They can’t be armed, LET’S GET THEM!” They challenge us to a battle and BAM! One rollerblade kick and tennis racket beating later, that start reevaluating their personal biases.”
:ultdaisy:: “Well, let’s get a move on! I always wanted to kick Bowser’s shell!”
Cute

Call the pencil sketch

Call the notepad scribble

Sketch n’ scribble

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's great lol. It's a perfect way to showcase Daisy's personality in that scene and help flesh it out. Plus it's also a funny exchange.

Nice idea, nice writing!

Ayyy nervous job hunt buddies

Cute

Call the pencil sketch

Call the notepad scribble

Sketch n’ scribble
Yeah, I have some ideas for possible careers but I don't know if I'm ready to go that mile just yet.

I'd like to get a feel for the workforce and just help keep the house standing (and get some money for myself) for starters, but for the most part people keep telling me the first thing I should go for should be completely relevant to my strongest interests, including my folks. I just don't know if I'm ready to launch into any of those things.

Also those names ideas are clever lol.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
When you play similar characters and feel them out you will feel the differences between them.

Ike and Marth can seem similar but they do not at all play the same in how they operate, killing, recovery, combo, etc.

A lot of people are annoyed at the "anime swordsman" type in smash but frankly, characters like Corrin, Robin and the Hero don't play like an A-typical anime swordsman. Usually Fire Emblem but how they operate and play is incredibly different. Especially when you play one of them for a while.

Even Echos like Marth versus Lucina, you will feel the difference between them even if they are Echo from each other due to that tipper difference.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's great lol. It's a perfect way to showcase Daisy's personality in that scene and help flesh it out. Plus it's also a funny exchange.

Nice idea, nice writing!
Thank you very much! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ve been trying out writing lately for my own stuff and a few things like this and you have no idea how much that means to me.

D

Deleted member

I just saw the "casuals can't possibly tell sword fighters apart!!!" argument a few pages ago and...really?

I'm as casual as they come and I'm asking myself what kind of person would think Robin and Lucina fight remotely similar. Not to mention one of the reasons Ike and Roy became so popular was their contrast with Marth.
Most of the time I feel these arguments are huge stretches and just tend to ignore a lot of what the character has to offer just for the sake of complaining.

Shroob

Sup?
So can I just say how.... impressed I am about how Nintendo ****ed EVERYTHING up about Hero's release?

Timeline of events:

September 2018:

Vergeben first mentions hearing about a Square Enix character in the game, unsure if it's DLC or base.

January(?) 2019:

Vergeben shares "The list"

Late December/Early January:

The datamine, revealing that "Brave" exists.

E3 2019:

Hero is revealed... surprisingly NO ONE said he'd be at E3 unlike Banjo, everyone just assumed.

July 2019:

"New releases for July!" video goes up, quickly renamed.

NoE leaks Hero's release date of 07/31

I gotta give credit to Nintendo.

At least they're consistent when they **** up.

D

Deleted member

Makes ya wonder just how long he knew.

If Microsoft discussions were happening all the way back during and before E32018, surely Grant would have some knowledge.

Played us like a damn fiddle for over a year he did.
IIRC it was only around January/February that he finally knew that Nintendo wanted him to compose a track/tracks for Smash.
Still though, that's 4 to 5 months that he had to keep quiet, and he was being cynical about the possibility of Banjo pretty much until the very end.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Resident Evil 4 and REmake are on sale on Switch and the sale ends in two days... but I wonder if there is a chance if the sale could go lower (both are 33% off right now, 20 dollars instead of 30).

Sometimes I buy stuff on sale then I get burned because the next month it's suddenly even cheaper. But for games this relatively cheap, maybe I shouldn't be such a penny pincher.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To go back to the "Ado leak", how exactly did SMT prove he was the poster? Especially when this discrepancy got pointed out.
The Adeleine imagine was posted on July 6th originally.
https://twitter.com/inkuusan/status/1015079436297875456
He may have saved it from the Twitter directly. Or a thread may have been pruned which had it. I'm sure the explanation for what happened is far less interesting than anyone is hoping.

I know you're probably thinking "well someone could easily take credit for all this" and you're right, and as the "debunker" I do feel stupid for not using a Tripcode or getting him to post it himself so a stronger evidence base could be formed (after all I can't even confirm I debunked it outside of getting a mod to check the IP and providing my own IP). But the fact it was an anonymous post from ages ago means it was always going to be hard to claim ownership of it.

Still, I think the Adeleine/Sylux thing should help prove it, combined with the fact his actual taste and experience with games would match up with the post he made. It was definitely not impossible for someone's taste and opinion to align so closely - which is why the Adeleine/Sylux angle is so helpful. It's the one weird outlier that not everyone would have.

Take the Dragon Quest thing. It's not that hard to guess them if you're familiar with the franchise (which SMT is, for the record).
1: Plausible, but a descendant of 3 who overshadows him.
2: Cannot use magic. Doesn't fit the mold.
3: Most popular in Japan, so he's a shoe in.
4: Plausible.
5: Uses a staff in official art, so he doesn't fit the mold.
6: Plausible.
7: Too short to fit the mold.
8: Western debut and fairly popular.
9: Customizable character, so it has no 'set' hero.
10: MMO, so it has no 'set' hero.
11: Newest, so he's a shoe-in.

So it was only a toss up between 1, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 11. Why 3 over 1? More iconic. Why 8 over 6? Western Appeal. Why 11? It's the newest. But why 4 over 6? It's just the one SMT likes best... And Sakurai happened to agree with the choice. If SMT's taste was slightly different, the post would've have even been noticed. (Again, sorry I can't provide more definitive evidence.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom