• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Ah, the "I'm more mature because I said I was moving on after getting called out for being an ***" defense
I fully admit that I was being an ass, and i apologize. But that's not even your target of offense. You're not calling me out for being an ass, you're calling me out on my belief.

Which for the record I never said was factual.

And your "hit me back" posts aren't adding anything to the conversation. If you want to call me out for being an ass, get to the ****ing point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thread is temporarily locked since people will not quit with the overly aggressive posts.

It'll be looked over.

More to come soon.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi everyone. We are reopening the thread now. Please remember to be civil to other posters and to report any questionable behavior.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It seems tensions got high when discussing the new Pokemon games. Smashboards welcomes folks to discuss games of all types here, but with the caveat that we treat each other with respect and kindness. That clearly didn't happen here. In the future, we urge you to disengage when you feel tensions rising. It got so hostile in here that a thread lock was needed, which is very unfair to those who wish to socialize peacefully. Be more considerate of our social thread regulars and take conversations elsewhere if they get to any sort of depth; that type of discussion is more suited to a NintenZone thread than taking command of this social anyway.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Was actually thinking about buying Sword and Shield but I'm not going to now
I don't want to support bad business decisions.

Anyways considering the site yesterday briefly showed two extra question mark slots I'm going to go out on a limb and say that assuming that wasn't just a glitch and we saw stuff we weren't supposed to, the next two DLC fighters will have echoes.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm going to post this again because I don't know if it got seen and I really want to know how people feel, I hope there isn't a rule against it:

"To anyone saying they expect Game Freak to patch the Pokemon later, why?

If that was the case then wouldn't you think they would at least attempt to be transparent about that? How hard would it have been to say in the Direct "due to the amount of work it takes to develop for a new console, not all Pokemon will be available at launch, but don't worry! We will be adding them slowly throughout the following year". It would be good PR, it would promote trust in the company, and most importantly it would have completely sidestepped this current ****storm."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Can we just change the topic altogether? Clearly neither sides are budging in their mindset.

Some people are upset because they think Game Freak is cheating their players by not including every Pokemon, others think this was bound to happen eventually and think Game Freak had to make a tough decision. Let's have both sides agree to disagree and move on.

Shroob

Sup?
If Game Freak is lazy and incompetent because they have to adhere to a tight schedule and are unable to add every last Pokemon on the first home console Gen, then I suppose we should say similar nasty things about Sakurai when the next Smash game with cuts rolls around.

I mean, it's only fair, right? Sakurai created one of the most successful fighting franchises of all time, so he should have plenty of money to hire more staff. Not adding every single character when we get to a roster of over 100 is completely unacceptable, and it might even be a sign that he's not capable of working on Smash. We'll just have to find a less lazy man who understand what the fans want and doesn't take shortcuts.

Geez, for real though. No one is saying it's not fair to be upset, but you guys are acting like you've actually sat behind a desk and made one of these games before. Have some heart.
Big difference here are fighting games always have a revolving cast. Most people have already accepted that the next smash cannot live up to ultimate.

Criticism is how progress is made. Brawl, despite it's amazing sales, feels dreadful to play, and the community gave Sakurai the biggest middle finger it could by making Project m, effectively saying they could do his job better.

And you know what happened? Smash4, for all its flaws, didn't play like Brawl. Th ecommunity laid out what we wanted, and in the end, we got it because we weren't afraid to criticize what was put before us.

Hell, look at Mariomaker2 and Luigis mansion 3. They listened to fan complaints and worked to improve.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I do hope one day we get a sequel to Pokemon colosseum, or at least a Pokemon similar to it. I'd like a RPG set in the pokemon world that doesn't have the trappings or expectations of a regular mainline pokemon rpg.

Also I want it to have groovy music, such as Miror B's theme.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So, not to detract from the Pokemon discussion, but Mario Maker 2 looks like it might be the best Switch game of the year.

I mean, the fact you can play as Luigi in single player mode just made it a 10/10

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, not to detract from the Pokemon discussion, but Mario Maker 2 looks like it might be the best Switch game of the year.

I mean, the fact you can play as Luigi in single player mode just made it a 10/10
It has... slopes. Freaking slopes. That's the best part alone.

I mean, cool multiplayer and Toadette playable is nice too.

Only thing I will miss the amiibo.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Changing the subject would certainly make it easier for most of you to behave. You're welcome to keep chatting about Pokemon Sword & Shield, but if thread goers can't be respectful about it they will be receiving infractions. If you feel difficulty in engaging respectfully, consider leaving the thread for the meantime until the thread cycles back to one of any number of other topics.

the community gave Sakurai the biggest middle finger it could by making Project m, effectively saying they could do his job better.
Whoa, hold on there! I definitely didn't spend 6 years working on Project M with that in mind. The vision for the pace of combat was certainly different but each game had very different goals. Project M is of course more my cup of tea but Brawl's a good game in its own right. Subspace Emissary is incredible and was a herculean effort from the development team.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I was kind of waiting for this?

It has... slopes. Freaking slopes. That's the best part alone.

I mean, cool multiplayer and Toadette playable is nice too.

Only thing I will miss the amiibo.
This sold it for me.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
One of the games I am excited about is Luigi's Mansion 3. I played Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube a long time ago around when I would play Double Dash all of the time. The game definitely left an impression in my mind. Needless to say, I was excited for Dark Moon to release on 3DS. Unfortunately, after completing a few of the levels and getting a good idea of how the pace of the game was going to go, I ended up not liking it. My biggest problem with it was the fact that there were individual levels that were cut down to size. It didn't feel like one big puzzle anymore.

Now with the Luigi's Mansion 3 trailer out, it looks like having the central hub of a hotel returns back to that form of the original Luigi's Mansion. Adding the Gooigi even adds interesting mechanics to the different puzzles that can be solved, so I'm definitely willing to give this game a go when it releases.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ok. Hear me out.
  • Mighty Number 9 and Mega Man in Smash lead to Mega Man 11
  • Bloodstained and Simon in Smash is leading to all sorts of Castlevania love from Konami
  • Yooka-Laylee and Banjo in Smash leads to....

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hey it’s not impossible, he doesn’t have a spirit, though I agree it’s not likely
People are looking too much at Porky's lack of a spirit and forgetting that he already has an ideal home stage, making him less fit for the structure of Fighter's Pass characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Alright

I’m out until you boys cool down

Something tells me I’ll never be able to discuss my favorite series in a positive light here again, so thanks for that.
We do not even know how many of them there are. It sucks but making new models of 800+ Pokemon seems taxing and they are pressured to be Nintendo's holiday sale.

GameFreak are definitely questionable in terms of decisions but it wont matter unless the majority speak with their wallets. It will still sell over 10m easily as people just like going through the story mode for the most part.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Changing the subject would certainly make it easier for most of you to behave. You're welcome to keep chatting about Pokemon Sword & Shield, but if thread goers can't be respectful about it they will be receiving infractions. If you feel difficulty in engaging respectfully, consider leaving the thread for the meantime until the thread cycles back to one of any number of other topics.

Whoa, hold on there! I definitely didn't spend 6 years working on Project M with that in mind. The vision for the pace of combat was certainly different but each game had very different goals. Project M is of course more my cup of tea but Brawl's a good game in its own right. Subspace Emissary is incredible and was a herculean effort from the development team.
I don't believe you went in with that mindset of course, but project m was also taking brawl and making it "better" to play at a technical level.

Considering Nintendo and their stupidly strict antimodding, fan project, etc and the eventual dma, I don't think they liked its existence at all.

D

Deleted member

I wrote a new essay giving my thoughts and experiences in regards to the confirmation of Banjo-Kazooie and Hero:
https://smashboards.com/threads/ult...onfirmation-of-banjo-kazooie-and-hero.484937/

It is a bit lengthy, being almost 9,000 words, so only read it when you have time. However, there are a few here that seem interested in what I have to say, so I am providing a message here so that they are aware of it.
Great read mate. Made me realise how this really is the end of an era and the beginning of a new one in terms of smash. Most of the major, super popular wants from the fans, from Sonic to Banjo, have made it in. We’re seeing more requests for super out there characters like Doomguy or 2B. Ultimately, Smash is 20 years old, a huge section of the fan base is younger than the series itself, so of course we’re gonna see new big wants from the community. Really is crazy, Ultimate feels like a bookend for the smash we know and love. I have a feeling next time around, we might be seeing something a lot more diffferent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know its a joke, but I'd love for the Killer Instinct reboot to get ported to Switch, its my favorite 2D non-platformer fighting game.
I haven't had a chance to play my Definitive Edition yet. I'm very used to the Street Fighter controls for Fulgore. It'll be interesting to see how different he is.

Speaking of, Fulgore for Smash~

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Big difference here are fighting games always have a revolving cast. Most people have already accepted that the next smash cannot live up to ultimate.

Criticism is how progress is made. Brawl, despite it's amazing sales, feels dreadful to play, and the community gave Sakurai the biggest middle finger it could by making Project m, effectively saying they could do his job better.

And you know what happened? Smash4, for all its flaws, didn't play like Brawl. Th ecommunity laid out what we wanted, and in the end, we got it because we weren't afraid to criticize what was put before us.

Hell, look at Mariomaker2 and Luigi's mansion 3. They listened to fan complaints and worked to improve.
All I'm gonna say is that it's not realistic to expect all 1,500+ Pokemon to return in the Pokemon game 10 years from now. This was bound to happen eventually, and it's nothing new. Just like Sakurai saving time by cutting certain characters or modes like Home Run contest, developers try to spend their time making new and attracting modes rather than laying out the same old content and expecting people to be just as excited. We might've been able to get every Pokemon back if Game Freak prioritized it, but there's no telling what we'd have to sacrifice in order to get it.

People will get over this eventually. More Sword and Shield info will be released, and people will slowly start getting excited again.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Great read mate. Made me realise how this really is the end of an era and the beginning of a new one in terms of smash. Most of the major, super popular wants from the fans, from Sonic to Banjo, have made it in. We’re seeing mroe request for super out there characters like Doomguy or 2B. Ultimately, Smash is 20 years old, a huge section of the fan base is younger than the series itself, so of course we’re gonna see new big wants from the community. Really is crazy, Ultimate feels like a bookend for the smash we know and love. I have a feeling next time around, we might be seeing something a lot more diffferent.
I don't know if the smash community will end up developing wants as big as K. Rool or Banjo again. Sakurai's been doing a great job delivering on the characters that the community wants with this game, and that's probably not going to stop. There's a good possibility that as these "never ever" characters become more commonplace the community won't have a chance to generate this level of demand for certain characters again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, it's Pokemon. We'll see 'em all back, realistically. I can understand why it's not their first priority too. There's a ton of models to make and they take a huge amount of time to do so. That's a lot of animations. Smash is even difficult to return everything as is, but Pokemon takes farrrrrr longer in comparison. There's a lot more to worry about.

Of course, both games take a long time to complete, respectively.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know if the smash community will end up developing wants as big as K. Rool or Banjo again. Sakurai's been doing a great job delivering on the characters that the community wants with this game, and that's probably not going to stop. There's a good possibility that as these "never ever" characters become more commonplace the community won't have a chance to generate this level of demand for certain characters again.
I think that by the time the dlcs is done that most people would be happy with this game being ported forever and just getting balance patches.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Guess Technology isn't as amazing as the dude from Pallet Town said to me 23 years ago.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It seems tensions got high when discussing the new Pokemon games. Smashboards welcomes folks to discuss games of all types here, but with the caveat that we treat each other with respect and kindness. That clearly didn't happen here. In the future, we urge you to disengage when you feel tensions rising. It got so hostile in here that a thread lock was needed, which is very unfair to those who wish to socialize peacefully. Be more considerate of our social thread regulars and take conversations elsewhere if they get to any sort of depth; that type of discussion is more suited to a NintenZone thread than taking command of this social anyway.
I don't know how tensions can get high for a game that has this:

Last edited by a moderator:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Ok. Hear me out.
  • Mighty Number 9 and Mega Man in Smash lead to Mega Man 11
  • Bloodstained and Simon in Smash is leading to all sorts of Castlevania love from Konami
  • Yooka-Laylee and Banjo in Smash leads to....
A Hat In Time.

Duh.

Shroob

Sup?
All I'm gonna say is that it's not realistic to expect all 1,500+ Pokemon to return in the Pokemon game 10 years from now. This was bound to happen eventually, and it's nothing new. Just like Sakurai saving time by cutting certain characters or modes like Home Run contest, developers try to spend their time making new and attracting modes rather than laying out the same old content and expecting people to be just as excited. We might've been able to get every Pokemon back if Game Freak prioritized it, but there's no telling what we'd have to sacrifice in order to get it.

People will get over this eventually. More Sword and Shield info will be released, and people will slowly start getting excited again.
No ones doubting the game will sell well, it's guaranteed to.

But a good selling game doesn't mean its immune to criticism.

If that were the case then RE7 would just be another action game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom