• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I agree on your first two points, but I don't know why a tabletop game would be different from anime, manga, comics, movies, etc. The only exceptions that seems more likely would be "Toys" at best if R.O.B. means anything. As they're often video games anyway(like Digimon).
My main thought here was mostly because of the influence that, say, Dungeons & Dragons or Magic: the Gathering had on video games. Without D&D, the RPG genre as we know it doesn't exist. Without MtG, trading card games - including the Pokemon TCG - don't exist. They might not be video games themselves, but their mere existence has such a huge impact on video games as a medium, enough so that you could justify including them in a celebration of gaming history in a way that doesn't really apply to most popular characters from anime, manga, comics, movies, etc.
I think ones like Epic Mickey/KH Mickey sound like an interesting idea. They're unique enough to separate them aside. You also have others like Starkiller, the different version of Dragon Ball Goku made for the games(likewise with Android 21). Though overall, this still sounds like a licensing nightmare, the only known reason he refuses to use non-game characters.
I mean, I'm specifically talking about public domain characters. Stuff like Dracula, gods from various myths and legends, stuff like that. And when I said tie-in media, I meant, like, tie-in media based on video games rather than original characters from licensed games. My thought there is it wouldn't even be something third-party. It'd be, like, something from a piece of tie-in media for a Nintendo game, or... I guess Nester would fall into this category.

I think when it comes to original characters from licensed games, the biggest factor in my eyes would probably be how much that character stands on their own (e.g. Starkiller and Android 21 are out because they rely heavily on the context of other characters from their respective games' source material), how iconic they are, and how big of an impact the game has had on gaming. I think the only real contenders there would be, like, Sora or maybe Darth Revan, and I don't think the latter would ever make it into Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My main thought here was mostly because of the influence that, say, Dungeons & Dragons or Magic: the Gathering had on video games. Without D&D, the RPG genre as we know it doesn't exist. Without MtG, trading card games - including the Pokemon TCG - don't exist. They might not be video games themselves, but their mere existence has such a huge impact on video games as a medium, enough so that you could justify including them in a celebration of gaming history in a way that doesn't really apply to most popular characters from anime, manga, comics, movies, etc.

I mean, I'm specifically talking about public domain characters. Stuff like Dracula, gods from various myths and legends, stuff like that. And when I said tie-in media, I meant, like, tie-in media based on video games rather than original characters from licensed games. My thought there is it wouldn't even be something third-party. It'd be, like, something from a piece of tie-in media for a Nintendo game, or... I guess Nester would fall into this category.

I think when it comes to original characters from licensed games, the biggest factor in my eyes would probably be how much that character stands on their own (e.g. Starkiller and Android 21 are out because they rely heavily on the context of other characters from their respective games' source material), how iconic they are, and how big of an impact the game has had on gaming. I think the only real contenders there would be, like, Sora or maybe Darth Revan, and I don't think the latter would ever make it into Smash.
...I thought Darth Revan is Starkiller?

Anyway, Sora is a pure game character from a game series. It's not the same as ones like Starkiller. Sora's biggest thing is Disney owns him.

And yeah, I see what you mean by public domain characters. But I think that'd only matter if the character has a game counterpart to take from. Like Dracula's appearance due to Castlevania.

Nester is another great option(I'd love a Captain N costume) since he's a Nintendo-owned character, but also had game appearances. 1st party however is way easier than 3rd parties, so it wouldn't too much matter if they're a tie-in or not in that regard, imo.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So for those who still play the game (which is like 0 of you guys), Jump Force (yeah, remember that) may be getting a season 2.

Apparently, these 2 characters are coming with it:
Krillin
Uraraka
And there's a third character, but that's up in the air on who it may be.
I would like more smash. And jump force looks fun.

I was thinking off brawlstars on switch. (Not download), but i want a single purchase. And it looked like it was not.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Trust me, there is more than that. I think people just want this thread to start fresh without being dragged down from what happened.
Full metal taught me to accept the past and learn from it. Because it will always be there. That and dont trust mad scientists with children and dogs.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Full metal taught me to accept the past and learn from it. Because it will always be there. That and dont trust mad scientists with children and dogs.
That is something I agree with, but if you want full context it's best to be put in the pm chat that has been discussing this. I am sure someone can add you if you ask.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022

Anyway, Sora is a pure game character from a game series. It's not the same as ones like Starkiller. Sora's biggest thing is Disney owns him.

And yeah, I see what you mean by public domain characters. But I think that'd only matter if the character has a game counterpart to take from. Like Dracula's appearance due to Castlevania.

Nester is another great option(I'd love a Captain N costume) since he's a Nintendo-owned character, but also had game appearances. 1st party however is way easier than 3rd parties, so it wouldn't too much matter if they're a tie-in or not in that regard, imo.
Starkiller and Revan's respective games (Force Unleashed and KotOR) take place centuries apart. As for the public domain stuff, that's kinda the point.

Basically, I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is that the only chance of getting a non-video game character or a character from a non-gaming franchise is if we're leaning on weird technicalities. Original characters from licensed games or characters from tie-in media for gaming franchises. Stuff that technically fits under the umbrella of "gaming."

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
That is something I agree with, but if you want full context it's best to be put in the pm chat that has been discussing this. I am sure someone can add you if you ask.
I would like to know atleast. Curiosity mainly.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

Darth Revan is from Knights of the Old Republic, Starkiller is the dude from Force Unleashed

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There is supposed to be a smash fanfiction that is massive. Is it any good? Would it make a g0od anime. I do not plan on reading it. I just know it exists.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
There is supposed to be a smash fanfiction that is massive. Is it any good? Would it make a g0od anime. I do not plan on reading it. I just know it exists.
Well, the first six chapters are remakes. The entire first disc, or first 100 chapters is of very old writing, but as soon as you make it to disc 2 the writing seems to improve and the plot gets so long and a bit intense. Unfortunately he stopped writing it as frequently.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Starkiller and Revan's respective games (Force Unleashed and KotOR) take place centuries apart. As for the public domain stuff, that's kinda the point.

Basically, I guess the overall point I'm trying to make is that the only chance of getting a non-video game character or a character from a non-gaming franchise is if we're leaning on weird technicalities. Original characters from licensed games or characters from tie-in media for gaming franchises. Stuff that technically fits under the umbrella of "gaming."
That always made sense to me for a possible exception. From what I remember, Star Wars had a game universe and a movie universe. Star Killer and Revan were game universe only, so they were feasible enough. Now they're all one big universe thanks to Disney. So it'd be really like choosing Rosalina before Mario. Starkiller admittedly sounds like a promising idea before the game universe wasn't separated, though he's no Vader or Yoda, the big guns of the series.

In the case of Android 21, Goku is just significantly more popular. Android 21 just doesn't compare. The Xenoverse Goku would be interesting though, but that's no less a licensing nightmare, same with 21. Likewise with Starkiller and Darth Revan. Since it's the same IP holders as is, or nearly the same.

Public domain honestly sounds like the most realistic option right now. No licensing issues and they're still more than popular to justify it. Popeye happening to inspire Mario would be more a bonus at that point.

Darth Revan is from Knights of the Old Republic, Starkiller is the dude from Force Unleashed
Yep. Scribe beat you to it, but thanks for the correction nonetheless.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I see. Was it good? Even if it was retelling the game. In the brawl days, i even had fanfiction ideas. To lazy to write anything though.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Honestly, if there were to be a Smash anime, I don't want one based on Smash itself. I want one based on the competitive scene.

Either take the High Score Girl route and use it as the backdrop for a slice of life series or maybe treat it like more of a sports anime.
Looks like I wasn't the only one to think of this idea.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I see. Was it good? Even if it was retelling the game. In the brawl days, i even had fanfiction ideas. To lazy to write anything though.
Well, it was good. There are some things that the author could improve on, and I'm not exactly agreeing with some of his decisions like putting only one OC in his story. I kind of wish there could be a little more interactions between more OCs, even if it's not canon (Perhaps a girl-protagonist). But his story seemed really well-written. I can't blame him.

Also, I actually thought about writing an really long story as well 5 years ago when I was like 9 or so, kind of similar to his. But I only managed to get it up just last year, before the new year and I'm too lazy to write chapter 2.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I anticipate a better future for this site, though I completely understand the reasons anyone has for wanting to leave.

I hope you all find safer places to be elsewhere, and when this place improves, maybe I can hope to see ya'll come back someday. Until then, have a good one! I myself, I'm staying around for some time to come.

___

Late to rejoin the talk about it, but I really have to say I did not like the way Star vs. the Forces of Evil ended. Too many unfortunate implications, unfinished characters arcs, and Fridge Horror to really be satisfactory. On top of that it just felt incredibly rushed. A half-hour runtime was nowhere near long enough for the series finale.

Aside from a few heartwarming scenes, this was one of the worst possible ways to end a really great show, imo.

I also hate the way the Magic High Commission was portrayed in this season.

I would've preferred to see them redeem themselves than get reduced to one-note, barely effective villains. And if they had to still go the villain route, they could've done so much more with them than what they did.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's mediocre. I wouldn't invest time in it. Smash doesn't have a good track record of well written sagas.

AO3 has quite a few good ones, especially Remake and Infuse, Gradually.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I anticipate a better future for this site, though I completely understand the reasons anyone has for wanting to leave.

I hope you all find safer places to be elsewhere, and when this place improves, maybe I can hope to see ya'll come back someday. Until then, have a good one! I myself, I'm staying around for some time to come.

___

Late to rejoin the talk about it, but I really have to say I did not like the way Star vs. the Forces of Evil ended. Too many unfortunate implications, unfinished characters arcs, and Fridge Horror to really be satisfactory. On top of that it just felt incredibly rushed. A half-hour runtime was nowhere near long enough for the series finale.

Aside from a few heartwarming scenes, this one of the worst possible ways to end a really great show, imo.

I also hate the way the Magic High Commission was portrayed in this season.

I would've preferred to see them redeem themselves than get reduced to one-note, barely effective villains. And if they had to still go the villain route, they could've done so much more with them than what they did.
I agree 100 %, that ending left me pretty sour ngl.

D

Deleted member

If your salary gets tripled when you don't get payed, I heard you actually get less :reverse:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So. Goemon. Lets talk about why he deserves to be in smash. 1 is yae would be a sticker.2 is ebisumaru.

Ooo.

Mii costumes for the main 4 would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom