• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
or that SAO isn't that bad people just jelly of its success weeb stuff
You probably shouldn't accuse people who have legitimate reasons for disliking it of being jealous of its success. I'm not gonna lie. the show has some issues that could be solved, and they understandably can ruin the experience for people.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
You probably shouldn't accuse people who have legitimate reasons for disliking it of being jealous of its success. I'm not gonna lie. the show has some issues that could be solved, and they understandably can ruin the experience for people.
True, I feel the same discomfort with Dragon Ball Z though people will go by the sword to defend it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Like you know I wanted to give future seasons of SAO a chance after the Fairy Dance arc left a really bad taste in my mouth but aside from the Mother’s Rosario arc, which I felt was done really well,
both GGO and Alicization have scenes of attempted sexual assault just for the man to swoop in and save the victim. JUST like what turned me off in Fairy Dance. That **** might have been marginally acceptable in the 90s and early 2000s (and even then it’s terrible storytelling and reeks of the **** you’d find in like 50 Shades of Grey) but it sure as hell doesn’t fly today and is just. Why man.

At least the side anime SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online, the one with the female protagonist, doesn’t have that issue from what I hear. Probably because it’s written by a woman who isn’t pushing the whole male power fantasy thing

osby

Smash Obsessed
Didn't notice this until yesterday, but can I say I'm glad the unpopular opinions thread got closed?

Nothing against that kind of threads, but there's a point when they solely exist so naysayers can complain about things everyone is currently excited about, and that kind of stuff is honestly pretty childish to me.
That's great but now people have to act like dunking on FE is a bold take on other threads now.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Like you know I wanted to give future seasons of SAO a chance after the Fairy Dance arc left a really bad taste in my mouth but aside from the Mother’s Rosario arc, which I felt was done really well,
both GGO and Alicization have scenes of attempted sexual assault just for the man to swoop in and save the victim. JUST like what turned me off in Fairy Dance. That **** might have been marginally acceptable in the 90s and early 2000s (and even then it’s terrible storytelling and reeks of the **** you’d find in like 50 Shades of Grey) but it sure as hell doesn’t fly today and is just. Why man.

At least the side anime SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online, the one with the female protagonist, doesn’t have that issue from what I hear. Probably because it’s written by a woman who isn’t pushing the whole male power fantasy thing
I did like the Fairy Dance Arc.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Vile indeed. xD

I also find it good to start with some pre-made models and toy around with those.
I think after I got to the iciing, and even added the colors that's where I just couldn't continue. xD There were parts where I got so frustrated that I swear I wanted to throw away my laptop out the window. owo Sometimes I got nothing of patience...but I indeed learned something at least! Maybe if I had stuck around I would have figured out how to put the textures right on the models I got from plenty of games.

xD Like the one of the monkey head this guy sets on fire in one of the videos?

The only thing I use Blender for now is just to see Omega/Meta Ridley for reference, and also get the forms' textures to try and replicate them.

RID SKIN.png

I was doing this a long time ago, but drawing each of the forms I got based for the painting was a really complex tast. xD Specially ones that I haven't adapted to my style like Proteus Ridley.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yeah, this was always a pretty big issue. Even from a storytelling standpoint, it's still incredibly uncomfortable, and it can rub viewers off the wrong way. Or maybe that's just my take on it, I don't know if it bugged anybody else.

D

Deleted member

I think after I got to the iciing, and even added the colors that's where I just couldn't continue. xD There were parts where I got so frustrated that I swear I wanted to throw away my laptop out the window. owo Sometimes I got nothing of patience...but I indeed learned something at least! Maybe if I had stuck around I would have figured out how to put the textures right on the models I got from plenty from plenty of games.

xD Like the one of the monkey head this guy sets on fire in one of the videos?

The only thing I use Blender for now is just to see Omega/Meta Ridley for reference, and also get the forms' textures to try and replicate them.

View attachment 232192
I was doing this a long time ago, but drawing each of the forms I got based for the painting was a really complex tast. xD Specially ones that I haven't adapted to my style like Proteus Ridley.
If you’d like, I can rip Ridley’s model and send some refs!

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Yeah, this was always a pretty big issue. Even from a storytelling standpoint, it's still incredibly uncomfortable, and it can rub viewers off the wrong way. Or maybe that's just my take on it, I don't know if it bugged anybody else.
It does make people feel uncomfortable but we seen worst in anime and in movies. Why can't we let villains act like horrible people?

AndreaAC

If you’d like, I can rip Ridley’s model and send some refs!
:3 Awww, thank you, Taylor! xD But don't worry! I got mostly all of the forms (except Proteus) down. And well, when I get back home, the gorgeous Ridley amiibo is indeed helpful! I deeply appreciate the offer, tho!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It does make people feel uncomfortable but we seen worst in anime and in movies. Why can't we let villains act like horrible people?
Villains are allowed to act like horrible people, but tbh if they have to resort to that, it just feels cheap and a cop out.

Especially when it comes to romance-based stories. Like I said in 50SoG (and no I didn’t and would never actually read it, I only learned this from the Tumblr blog 50shadesofwhy), the “rival” love interest to Christian Grey, that uhhh Latino dude, he starts getting, let’s just say, a liiittle too close to Anastasia and Christian comes and beats the other dude up just to be the Knight In Shining Armor(TM). It’s the cheapest drama trick in the book if you ask me

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Because sexual assault is almost never treated tactfully, especially in heroic power fantasy media. It's often tacky if not downright exploitative.

I'd say a good example of doing it well is Kilgrave in Jessica Jones.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because a lot of people are tired of women being sexually threatened in media.

When you show only one gender in one particular position, it feels like you are contributing a conception if you just dump in there, regardless of how you present it.

Also, it's cliche and boring.

EDIT: And let's not turn this into a debate, I said my piece.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Because sexual assault is almost never treated tactfully, especially in heroic power fantasy media. It's often tacky if not downright exploitative.

Which reminds me I need to watch S3 sometime of Jessica Jones... sad to see it go. I liked how realistically Jessica’s trauma was portrayed and how she dealt with it.

It’s not even a thing restricted to heroic fantasy media either. I’ve played an otome visual novel where one guy’s route involves him kidnapping the female protag, locking her in a cage, and even getting so obsessed there’s a part where he attempts to... assault her. I hate that the good ending involves going along with his bs (and it upsets me personally cause I’ve had obsessive stalkers of both sexes irl)

And then there was that one yuri anime that was going so well until THAT part. Even though the perpetrator who was the main girl’s partner was manipulated and gaslighted into doing that, and the main girl forgave her, it was kind of. Yeah.

...anyway we should change the topic.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Why can't we let villains act like horrible people?
You can... in moderation. If your villain is being too crazy, then it's going to make viewers uncomfortable. Your viewer should be entertained. They shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable when watching a show. If your putting your audience in a scenario that they don't like, that won't be good.

StormC

Smash Hero
Which reminds me I need to watch S3 sometime of Jessica Jones... sad to see it go. I liked how realistically Jessica’s trauma was portrayed and how she dealt with it.

It’s not even a thing restricted to heroic fantasy media either. I’ve played an otome visual novel where one guy’s route involves him kidnapping the female protag, locking her in a cage, and even getting so obsessed there’s a part where he attempts to... assault her. I hate that the good ending involves going along with his bs (and it upsets me personally cause I’ve had obsessive stalkers of both sexes irl)

And then there was that one yuri anime that was going so well until THAT part. Even though the perpetrator who was the main girl’s partner was manipulated and gaslighted into doing that, and the main girl forgave her, it was kind of. Yeah.

...anyway we should change the topic.
I only saw season 1 of JJ but I really loved it and thought Kilgrave was one of the most terrifying villains I've ever seen. He's a lot more realistic than most depictions of sexual predators. I once heard someone say "every woman has met a Kilgrave" and I think it's very true.

But yeah. Uh. Maybe if Hero is coming out on July 29th (July 28th for us) we'll get his video this week? Here's hoping!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Because a lot of people are tired of women being sexually threatened in media.

When you show only one gender in one particular position, it feels like you are contributing a conception if you just dump in there, regardless of how you present it.

Also, it's cliche and boring.

EDIT: And let's not turn this into a debate, I said my piece.
unrelated but Remeber when people got mad when a female villan in an anime falsely accused a male MC of something just so she can ruin his Reputation, and everyone hated the man in thr end and stood up for the girl?

they werent mad because she decided to be petty and ruin the dude, they were mad because she was treated like the villien she was made to be.

good times

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I will just say one thing:

You can do whatever you want in fiction, but there has to be some degree of realism for believability and a solid story. And sensitive topics should be handled with care and not as cheap drama devices.

Anyway uhhhh

So how’s that Comic Con?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
To be completely honest, I'd still rather have that than sexual assault on males if only because I don't ever get to see women get a comeuppance for attempt at **** ever.

Not that I approve of either, nor am I fan of them in entertainment media.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do we really have to answer this right now?

:3 Awww, thank you, Taylor! xD But don't worry! I got mostly all of the forms (except Proteus) down. And well, when I get back home, the gorgeous Ridley amiibo is indeed helpful! I deeply appreciate the offer, tho!
Haha, totally cool.

I’ve been trying to port some models myself but some are a little funky. Maybe I’ll try again when the new Blender version comes out.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can... in moderation. If your villain is being too crazy, then it's going to make viewers uncomfortable. Your viewer should be entertained. They shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable when watching a show. If your putting your audience in a scenario that they don't like, that won't be good.
Eh, not evey media has to be entertaining. Sometimes you want to make people go out of their comfort zone.

Of course, there's a difference between doing this purposefully or just being edgy for the sake of it.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Villains are allowed to act like horrible people, but tbh if they have to resort to that, it just feels cheap and a cop out.

Especially when it comes to romance-based stories. Like I said in 50SoG (and no I didn’t and would never actually read it, I only learned this from the Tumblr blog 50shadesofwhy), the “rival” love interest to Christian Grey, that uhhh Latino dude, he starts getting, let’s just say, a liiittle too close to Anastasia and Christian comes and beats the other dude up just to be the Knight In Shining Armor(TM). It’s the cheapest drama trick in the book if you ask me
It is cheap, however many tropes also follow the same cheapness its how its used that makes them interesting. Anime is full of them, from the ophaned hero, to the pervy master to the spontaous power up all tried again and again but though we seen them dozens of times we still love them when used correctly.

True sexaul assault is never protrayed well in media the scars don't heal after the assailant is gone it lingers, like a foul stench in the air.

StormC

Smash Hero
To be completely honest, I'd still rather have that than sexual assault on males if only because I don't ever get to see women get a comeuppance for attempt at **** ever.
what the hell are you talking about dude

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guys guys PLEASE

let’s drop the subject ok?

Man I really hope that patch update video drops soon

D

Deleted member

Guys guys PLEASE

let’s drop the subject ok?

Man I really hope that patch update video drops soon
I second this. This is making people uncomfortable. Is stopping to much to ask?

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
So if we're getting Hero Sunday night to go with a 29th release in Japan... Thursday night video maybe?

I just want to see if the Geno costume returns, truthfully.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if we're getting Hero Sunday night to go with a 29th release in Japan... Thursday night video maybe?

I just want to see if the Geno costume returns, truthfully.
Same tbh

And any other Mii costumes if any

Not counting on a tease for fighter 4, but it would be nice

AndreaAC

Haha, totally cool.

I’ve been trying to port some models myself but some are a little funky. Maybe I’ll try again when the new Blender version comes out.
xD Though, I am curious, still! What other models are you planning to get?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't know what's going on beside that we are talking about vilain.

All I say about this topic is my vilains, Hota & Alicia are good sibling to each other.
Hota & Alicia sleeping.gif

Look at those adorable shapeshifting alien that have absorbed thousand if not more of innocent peoples.

D

Deleted member

xD Though, I am curious, still! What other models are you planning to get?
At the moment I’ve ported 3 FNAF VR characters, but I eventually hope to port some Smash Bros. models, as well as soke Hat in Time models,

I desperately want some A Hat in Time models but I can’t find them for the life of me. I hope there’s a file dump somewhere. lol

Memes don’t make themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom