• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean. Yeah. That just means there Story has to be about something other than “how strong I need to be to beat the bad guy”. It’s the fundamental difference between Goku and Superman they talked about in those two episodes. I still like Hal, Green Lantern is one of my favorite comic characters of all time. They just break vs matches like these in two.
Not to mention in DB, only some Marvel characters have beaten some DC characters. That is how OP they are.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know one potential DLC character I don't hear anyone talking about? A character from GameFreak's Town. With that being GameFreak's new IP, I could see them getting a character from that game in Smash as a way to get their new IP off the ground. Anyone else thought about that?
I'm gonna be honest. I completely forgot Town was a thing until you brought it up just now.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah it's a huge flaw with DC, imo. Sometimes interesting stuff is written for their heroes, but not really that often for me at least.
Yeah, sometimes, making characters so overpowered can make them more or less boring, even if they don’t always win, huh?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
After the "VR leak" I think we're gonna get a single Smash character reveal.

Reveal the new VR mode as a push of VR alongside other games likely getting similar treatment, then follow it up with a new Smash character specifically to hype us up.

Then announce the 3rd character sometime in August, like they did with K. Rool and Simon.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Reveal the new VR mode as a push of VR alongside other games likely getting similar treatment, then follow it up with a new Smash character specifically to hype us up.

Then announce the 3rd character sometime in August, like they did with K. Rool and Simon.
In before that one character reveal is Labo Man. Lol

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah it's a huge flaw with DC, imo. Sometimes interesting stuff is written for their heroes, but not really that often for me at least.
It's a flaw of the comic book medium.

These stories stretch forever and jump from creative team to creative team, and each issue that's released on a monthly basis for years is supposed to be exciting enough to warrant a purchase. So each team is going to have their own take and there are bound to be conflicts with canon, poorly thought out and rushed plot points, ludicrous feats for the sake of being "super", etc.

In a "Death Battle" scenario, you pick and choose all of the hero's greatest accomplishments and treat them as peak potential, when really we should probably treat those outstanding moments as outliers and find more of a mean. Half the stuff they showed about Hal Jordan, I turned to my brother and said, "Yeah but" and then brought up a story where he did the exact opposite and sucked.

The best superhero comics are the short term spinoffs where the writer gets full control over the story and doesn't have to worry about ongoing canon.

Or Daredevil in general because he's always somehow been immune to over-serialization and only gets good writers.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I always find that line funniest in Gundam shows. Because, like... You're not getting "stronger". You're becoming a better pilot/upgrading your mobile suit. It somehow comes off as even worse of a trope when you can't actually get stronger.
I think they mean like, mentally or willpower or some **** but it's still super weird.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think they mean like, mentally or willpower or some **** but it's still super weird.
I know. And it's likely a case of the exact Japanese word not translating 1:1 to English.

Still sounds dumb when watching though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

optimistic, but sure :)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So 12 days left until Nintendo's E3! Potentially less if Smash gets it's own presentation again for DLC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Daredevil's great. He's always a somewhat more personal and grounded vigilante as opposed to Batman who can now apparently operate a space station apparently.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Daredevil's great. He's always a somewhat more personal and grounded vigilante as opposed to Batman who can now apparently operate a space station apparently.
It's helped him that he was never the A-lister of Marvel the way Batman is for DC. They progressively had to make Batman more and more absurd to justify him being on the same level as Superman.

Daredevil is just kind of doing his thing, and prominent writers like Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, etc. love the opportunity to work on Daredevil because of what Frank Miller's Daredevil run meant for the medium. Yet he's not immensely popular enough to try and rope into huge Avengers plotlines where he has to fight Thanos and ****.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah, sometimes, making characters so overpowered can make them more or less boring, even if they don’t always win, huh?
Right? This is one reason why I enjoy One Punch Man. The main character is beyond invincible, but the story is more about how this fact saps his life of meaning. It's character exploration instead of just incredible feats.

Honestly, I really do think VR is the future of media. I have so much fun with my PSVR, and I'm getting a PC vr headset in the coming months.

It's truly incredible, and games are starting to really come out that show how old genres can be given new life in VR.

It's a flaw of the comic book medium.

These stories stretch forever and jump from creative team to creative team, and each issue that's released on a monthly basis for years is supposed to be exciting enough to warrant a purchase. So each team is going to have their own take and there are bound to be conflicts with canon, poorly thought out and rushed plot points, ludicrous feats for the sake of being "super", etc.

In a "Death Battle" scenario, you pick and choose all of the hero's greatest accomplishments and treat them as peak potential, when really we should probably treat those outstanding moments as outliers and find more of a mean. Half the stuff they showed about Hal Jordan, I turned to my brother and said, "Yeah but" and then brought up a story where he did the exact opposite and sucked.

The best superhero comics are the short term spinoffs where the writer gets full control over the story and doesn't have to worry about ongoing canon.

Or Daredevil in general because he's always somehow been immune to over-serialization and only gets good writers.
Absolutely, and it's one reason why I'm not the biggest fan of death battles. They kinda have to pick characters who are highly inconsistent in power levels.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Right? This is one reason why I enjoy One Punch Man. The main character is beyond invincible, but the story is more about how this fact saps his life of meaning. It's character exploration instead of just incredible feats.

Honestly, I really do think VR is the future of media. I have so much fun with my PSVR, and I'm getting a PC vr headset in the coming months.

It's truly incredible, and games are starting to really come out that show how old genres can be given new life in VR.

Absolutely, and it's one reason why I'm not the biggest fan of death battles. They kinda have to pick characters who are highly inconsistent in power levels.
Yeah, I meant sometimes. But it can be interesting, like if done in the way of OPM as you said, and perhaps other ways, too.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Yeah, Batman is inconstant in power levels and characterizations in his own comic series and cross-over series.

I love batman, I just wish he would take a more background role in terms of omega level threats like Darksied and most space/cosmic stuff. I always thought it was kind of weird that Batman is a public member of the Justice League anyway, seems to kind of conflict with his mysterious "creature of the night" persona that he uses to strike fear into criminals. I want Batman to interact with the rest of the D.C universe, but I guess I wish he would take a backseat a bit, he could be more like the Justice's Leagues spymaster rather than it's main strategist, leader, etc.

?????????????

Smash Master
I was posting my moveset ideas in the last thread, so I thought I’d continue here! Here’s my new one:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Nothing I can really do now, but I've never thought Suzaku Castle was a good representation of the Street Fighter series even though it's Ryu's stage and wish we would have gotten Battle Harbor (Ken's stage) instead.

When I think of the locations of Street Fighter, I think of well.... a street fight with a crowd gathered to watch and cheer on the fight. Suzaku Castle seems so lifeless and bland compared to most Street Fighter locations, no audience and it looks like it could fit in any random ninja game. Plus Battle Harbor is home to the most iconic bonus stages in gaming as a whole, the destructible car!

Just Imagine if the Smash stage had a car you could destroy! That seems a lot more fun than Suzaku's walkoff and random platforms.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Can we get to E3 already? I'm ready to be a gaymer.

The Drag Race fandom is exhausting me right now leading up to the finale and I need to be some type of other gay for a while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SSBUBot said there’s some sort of Smash Ultimate VR thingy.

This can only mean one thing. Labo VR Headset for Smash.
Huh, neat I guess. Wonder how that will work. It should be coming out before E3 based on the timeframe, but the fact that they're releasing an update so close to E3 makes me wonder whether a character will be revealed, idk.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Huh, neat I guess. Wonder how that will work. It should be coming out before E3 based on the timeframe, but the fact that they're releasing an update so close to E3 makes me wonder whether a character will be revealed, idk.
the 3.1.0. notification also runs until june 17, meaning we're not getting an update before then (so no e3 shadow launch) - it'll be a week between reveal and launch at the very least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom