• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It is that time again!
ID: 2MSVF
Password: 2019
Edit: Arena's down.

Last edited by a moderator:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I don’t know if you guys have heard yet, but NYPD have officially confirmed that etika has passed away, it’s a shame it really is prayers go out to his family and friends[\spoiler]

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
**** man...I didn't have to wake up to this...

Didn't know the guy but even the loss of one innnocent human life is too much. Condolences to his friends and family...:(

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Terrible news..

Really hate to say this but the famous Smash youtuber and reactor, Etika has officially declared dead on June 25, 2019.

I watch his reactions and was a fan of him but I am devastated that he has taken his own life. I subscribed to him since many years and I always watch his streams.

Suicide is not a joke. It is a non fixable solution to a temporary problem.

RIP Etika, you will always be remembered.

#JoyConBoysForever

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Etika, AKA Desmond Amofah has been confirmed dead.
Words cannot describe right now how heartbroken I am. I kept trying to tell people he needed help. But people don't understand how mental illness works. And they treated him like a laughingstock, like garbage, instead of consoling him and pushing him more to get help. Please don't make the same mistake that both Etika and his community made. You're never without people who care for you and want to help you. And when you see someone who you know needs help, don't stop trying just because they pushed you away initially, because they likely don't know themselves yet that they're unwell until it's too late.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Etika, AKA Desmond Amofah has been confirmed dead.
Words cannot describe right now how heartbroken I am. I kept trying to tell people he needed help. But people don't understand how mental illness works. And they treated him like a laughingstock, like garbage, instead of consoling him and pushing him more to get help. Please don't make the same mistake that both Etika and his community made. You're never without people who care for you and want to help you. And when you see someone who you know needs help, don't stop trying just because they pushed you away initially, because they likely don't know themselves yet that they're unwell until it's too late.
Oh my god.

I have no words.

D

Deleted member

Edit: I apologize for the bad timing.

D

Deleted member

As much as I promised myself to not be here at all today, I felt the need to share my condolences to Etika and any possible relative he had here.

This day will be hard for many.

D

Deleted member

My condolences go out to Etika's friends, fans and family.
I am so sorry to hear all of this.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll be honest, I didn't imagine Etika's situation to escalate to the point of him taking his own life. I feel horrible for not taking this situation as seriously I should've, and I of all people should know better, given how I work in the field of healthcare. As someone who's see this sort of thing on a regular basis, I know how devastating this can be for family and friends. There's this horrible feeling of "What if I had done this?" and "If only I had chose to..." that persists for the rest of your life.

My prayers go out to Etika's closest friends and loved ones. I can only hope that they understand that this is not their fault, and that because of them, Etika had a life worth living during his time here on earth.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Oh my god.

I have no words.
I'm deeply hurt. This could have been prevented, the signs were as early as October. But people didn't have the patience or understanding. It really is surreal in the worst way possible that we've lost him. It feels like a nightmare that I desperately want to wake up from. But I know that this is the reality we live in because there wasn't enough done for him.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Situations like these prove some people can't understand the extent to which poor mental health can eat away at people. Considering how many people took to all of this as a joke (not everyone) even days prior, he was not going to get much help online at this point. All the rumors made right before that didn't relate to this are now shown to be just as silly as they seemed. Very unfortunate that this happened at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is awful.
Let this be a sign that mental health is not a joke. Treating it like one only causes people to feel worse and worse.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones, this is something no one deserves or should have to go through. Rest in peace.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Kurt Cobain, Robin Williams, and now Etika

All victims of suicide, believing their lives never really mattered when they most certainly did.

Suicide is like the worst possible way to go, because it pretty much means you declared defeat and let life get the best of you.

Please, if you ever have suicidal thoughts and see it as a viable option, get some help immediately.

Rest in peace Etika. Never really watched you all that much personally, but no doubt about it, you touched a whole bunch of people and it's gonna be sad to realize you won't be here to react to all the other crazy announcements in the future.

My condolences go out to his family, friends, and multitude of fans as well

Also, please, don't go liking this post all willy nilly, I don't wanna gain from something like this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I found Etika way over the top and extremely annoying; only saw a video of his once and absolutely hated it.

Still, never would wish this kind of pain on anyone. Sucks he would feel so badly as to think taking his own life is the only option. I hope his family gets the time and privacy they need to recover from this shock; or at least adapt to it since 'recovering' from a family death is not really possible; not fully anyway.

What is it with people who get a lot of attention and fame; even as a simple youtuber, that can lead to depression?
Tons of celebrities have had depression; Robin Williams took his own life to it as well. Even other youtubers like the Game Grumps (I believe both Danny & Arin have said they've wrestled with Depression from time to time) and members of TeamFourStar. It's like the more attention and fame you get, the more likely you are to suffer from depression.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
The possessions found by the bridge and the body being found in the river were bad omens, but it didn't really hit until they announced it just now

Cos even if you know the worst is true, a small part of you - no matter how irrational - wishes it was otherwise until the very end

If something can be learned from this awful situation, I hope it's that people more widely start accepting and understanding that the brain is just another organ, and gets sick just like the rest of them - you can no more 'get over' mental illness than you can over heart disease

Rest in peace, Etika

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Smash reveals aren't gonna be the same without Etika going ballistic. :( Wish he got the help he needed.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Delete this.
Yes and he was in a mental hospital a few times this past year. The problem is he’s an adult and didn’t seem completely unable to take care of himself, so he was able to check himself out whenever.

Unfortunately this isn’t good as I think if he stayed at them, it could have really helped him feel better.

It’s sad to see him go. I never watched a lot of just stuff, but occasionally I did laugh at some of his later reactions. It’s not something that should ever happen though so it’s sad to see that he got to this point. He had a huge following, but it’s usually the happiest ones that have some trouble on the inside. I hope his close friends and family can mourn privately and hopefully they are able to think back on how many people really did like him and how much he impacted the internet. May he rest in piece

D

Deleted member

Knew little about the man, but this is tragic news. Wish his friends and family well.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
A lot of the big names like keemstar who were talking ****, hopefully feel pretty bad now. If anything I hope this lets people learn to always extended help to a situation, because you never know when it’s really real. Knowing you could have maybe helped but chose to ignore isn’t good.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I found Etika way over the top and extremely annoying; only saw a video of his once and absolutely hated it.

Still, never would wish this kind of pain on anyone. Sucks he would feel so badly as to think taking his own life is the only option. I hope his family gets the time and privacy they need to recover from this shock; or at least adapt to it since 'recovering' from a family death is not really possible; not fully anyway.

What is it with people who get a lot of attention and fame; even as a simple youtuber, that can lead to depression?
Tons of celebrities have had depression; Robin Williams took his own life to it as well. Even other youtubers like the Game Grumps (I believe both Danny & Arin have said they've wrestled with Depression from time to time) and members of TeamFourStar. It's like the more attention and fame you get, the more likely you are to suffer from depression.
Fame can make it harder to maintain a normal social life, which in turn will mean that when you are dealing with actual internal struggles, you might not have anybody to actually turn to for help. Fans aren't a substitute for friends. So you can have all the popularity in the world, and wind up being extremely lonely. This was Etika's situation, because while he had a large fanbase, he had nobody that he had a personal connection to who he could talk about his mental issues with, which lead to his mental state getting worse and worse.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, I'm seeing this thrown around a lot on Twitter, but if you guys are feeling suicidal, please look up and call the nearest suicide hotline prevention center. It ain't worth it my dudes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom