• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Different strokes for different folks.

Min Min doesn't interest me in the slightest, but I'm not upset at her inclusion, nor am I disappointed.
I admit, I overreacted when that post happened. But I still think that revealing Byleth the way they did was a mistake, as was the ordering of the characters in the pass. Byleth should not have been the grand finale (although I've been told that concept is not really a thing in japan and the idea of "saving the best for last" confuses the Japanese).

And on a bad day, I might say Byleth's inclusion at all was a mistake as well. But only on a bad day when I'm feeling salty. But I can't argue why without making people mad, I know from experience.

Wish they would just put their arms in their damn sleeves. I don't know why but that one design element annoys me so much. It's like a 13 year old edge-lord trying to be cool.

Shroob

Sup?
I admit, I overreacted when that post happened. But I still think that revealing Byleth the way they did was a mistake, as was the ordering of the characters in the pass. Byleth should not have been the grand finale (although I've been told that concept is not really a thing in japan and the idea of "saving the best for last" confuses the Japanese).

And on a bad day, I might say Byleth's inclusion at all was a mistake as well. But only on a bad day when I'm feeling salty. But I can't argue why without making people mad, I know from experience.

Wish they would just put their arms in their damn sleeves. I don't know why but that one design element annoys me so much. It's like a 13 year old edge-lord trying to be cool.
You're overthinking it.

It's a marketing ploy and nothing more. Why would you put the weakest link first and then build up to the big **** when you can get pre-orders right away?

Do you think E32018 would have ended on such a bang if they had shown off Isabelle instead of Ridley? They know what they're doing.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You're overthinking it.

It's a marketing ploy and nothing more. Why would you put the weakest link first and then build up to the big **** when you can get pre-orders right away?

Do you think E32018 would have ended on such a bang if they had shown off Isabelle instead of Ridley? They know what they're doing.
Oh no. He shouldn't have been number one. He should have been like... number 2 or 3.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh no. He shouldn't have been number one. He should have been like... number 2 or 3.
2 and 3 landed right during E3, the time where they had the whole world watching them. It made perfect sense to release Banjo and Hero during that time.

As much as I love Terry, and I do, let's not kid ourselves, if him and Byleth's spots were swapped, people would still consider the ending "Underwhelming".

D

Deleted member

Before Smash Ultimate wasn't Ridley like... the top 10 in terms of wants? Obviously we don't have the data but I definitely remember there being alot of people asking for him only for "hurr durr he's too big" to be muttered in respones.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Before Smash Ultimate wasn't Ridley like... the top 10 in terms of wants? Obviously we don't have the data but I definitely remember there being alot of people asking for him only for "hurr durr he's too big" to be muttered in respones.
I'm talking about the DLC. Not the base game. Although there too I think the order of reveals was bad.

Base game should have gone Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, King K. Rool.

DLC should have gone Joker, Hero, Byleth, Terry, Banjo.

Would that second order have made people really mad? Probably yes. Would we have gotten all that rage out of the way and ended on a very high high? Absolutley.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm talking about the DLC. Not the base game. Although there too I think the order of reveals was bad.

Base game should have gone Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, King K. Rool.

DLC should have gone Joker, Hero, Byleth, Terry, Banjo.

Would that second order have made people really mad? Probably yes. Would we have gotten all that rage out of the way and ended on a very high high? Absolutley.
And then you potentially lose out on pre-orders.

Snake, darlin', you keep avoiding the reality that Nintendo is a business, they want your money not tomorrow, not in three days or a week from now, but right now. What benefit do they have financially from saving reveals until the end? By that point, you've already pre-ordered the game, if you're angry.... so what?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You're overthinking it.

Waitaminute, are you telling me Incineroar WASN'T the biggest reveal and hypebomb?? :urg:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
And then you potentially lose out on pre-orders.

Snake, darlin', you keep avoiding the reality that Nintendo is a business, they want your money not tomorrow, not in three days or a week from now, but right now. What benefit do they have financially from saving reveals until the end? By that point, you've already pre-ordered the game, if you're angry.... so what?
You make them mad like that right at the end and they might not be so inclined to pre-order your second season. That's the way I see it at least. It's why you end on a high not. So people leave with a positive mindset and are more inclined to buy your next product. It's insurance. One of my film teachers told me that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
He was part of the "Elite Four" - the characters everyone and their mothers wanted. Palutena, Ridley, Isaac, and King K. Rool... and we've got three out of four now.

Shroob

Sup?
You make them mad like that right at the end and they might not be so inclined to pre-order your second season. That's the way I see it at least. It's why you end on a high not. So people leave with a positive mindset and are more inclined to buy your next product. It's insurance. One of my film teachers told me that.
It's Smash.

It's going to sell no matter what.

You remember how Sword and Shield were being panned as horrible games and frankly are from a technical standpoint? And how it's now one of, if not the most successful Switch game period?

A very vocal minority of angry people online means absolutely nothing if something's going to sell regardless due to brand recognition and FOMO.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Waitaminute, are you telling me Incineroar WASN'T the biggest reveal and hypebomb?? :urg:
No. He was cool. He was just.... not a mind blower you know? We were all expecting a Gen 7 Pokemon so there wasn't much of a wave of hype. Although Piranha Plant was a pretty good closer NGL. I might be unique in this, but I was only mad about him for like a half second before I realized how funny the damn thing was.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's Smash.

It's going to sell no matter what.

You remember how Sword and Shield were being panned as horrible games and frankly are from a technical standpoint? And how it's now one of, if not the most successful Switch game period?

A very vocal minority of angry people online means absolutely nothing if something's going to sell regardless due to brand recognition and FOMO.
OK. Your two points kind of contradict each other. If it's guaranteed to sell regardless, then why would they care about doing the big ones first to ensure pre-orders?

If they know it will sell regardless, then they might as well do what they can to make the process of reveals as fun and exciting and consistent for the people who do care.

Shroob

Sup?
OK. Your two points kind of contradict each other. If it's guaranteed to sell regardless, then why would they care about doing the big ones first to ensure pre-orders?

If they know it will sell regardless, then they might as well do what they can to make the process of reveals as fun and exciting and consistent for the people who do care.
Because it's good business.

"Put your best foot forward" and all that. It's going to sell regardless, but let's get those people on the fence to go our and pre-order now. "Hey, you hardcore fans! EVERYONE IS HERE! 103 STAGES! OVER 1k MUSIC TRACKS! RIDLEY! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT RIGHT?!"

Targeted marketing and all that jazz.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Japan

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I brought this on myself.
Japan
I really shouldn't respond and should just drop it but I have to say how I think it is extremely short sighted for a company that sells to a global audience to hyper-focus on their own region like that. Especially when that leads to decisions that are fine in one place but damage the brand in others but that's all imma say about that!

Please read all of that at double speed.

Shroob

Sup?

I really shouldn't respond and should just drop it but I have to say how I think it is extremely short sighted for a company that sells to a global audience to hyper-focus on their own region like that. Especially when that leads to decisions that are fine in one place but damage the brand in others but that's all imma say about that!

Please read all of that at double speed.
I mean, the Japanese, at least the comments I've seen online, think Smash focuses too much on the AMERICAN fanbase.

Like, everyone remembers Ridley being called "Captain America."

The West thinks Nintendo panders too much to Japan
The East thinks Nintendo panders too much to America

It's like pottery

D

Deleted member

I really shouldn't respond and should just drop it but I have to say how I think it is extremely short sighted for a company that sells to a global audience to hyper-focus on their own region like that.
You do know that's kinda how companies work right? Why pander to other regions when you can pander to your own region and likely make more money?

Shroob

Sup?
Hell, I vividly remember the 2ch(or whatever it's called nowadays) posts mad as hell about Incineroar, and blaming its inclusion on the West because "Incineroar is popular in America."

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, the Japanese, at least the comments I've seen online, think Smash focuses too much on the AMERICAN fanbase.

Like, everyone remembers Ridley being called "Captain America."

The West thinks Nintendo panders too much to Japan
The East thinks Nintendo panders too much to America

It's like pottery
The difference is that one is true and one is just not. Compare all the characters in the game. How many are popular explicitly in Japan and how many for America? The Japanese fans, if that quote is true, sound like rich one percenters complaining about poor people getting more money. Like, why do you care if someone else gets something for once? You already have hundreds of millions of things already. It's like King George and the Ducky.

Shroob

Sup?
The difference is that one is true and one is just not. Compare all the characters in the game. How many are popular explicitly in Japan and how many for America? The Japanese fans, if that quote is true, sound like rich one percenters complaining about poor people getting more money. Like, why do you care if someone else gets something for once? You already have hundreds of millions of things already. It's like King George and the Ducky.
I feel like the question here is:

What qualifies as a "Western" pick and an "Eastern" pick, because the two easily overlap.

To say that NO ONE wanted a 3H rep or Byleth is very wrong, because I remember people on this very forum clamoring for Edlegard or Byleth. What exactly makes one specifically Western and one Eastern?

Shroob

Sup?
Tell that to all the american film and game studios who have taken an extreme turn towards pandering to japan and china lately........

I need to stop.
Because China's a huge market and love movies.

America's a big market to Japan, but there's a lot of things in Japanese culture that don't transition well into American culture due to a difference in a lot of things.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I feel like the question here is:

What qualifies as a "Western" pick and an "Eastern" pick, because the two easily overlap.

To say that NO ONE wanted a 3H rep or Byleth is very wrong, because I remember people on this very forum clamoring for Edlegard or Byleth. What exactly makes one specifically Western and one Eastern?
The bad answer is anime aesthetics. But even a bad answer has a colonel of truth to it.

The more in depth answer is it's a mix of regional popularity/sales figures on both sides, mainstream recognition/previous exposure in a particular region, and history. Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox have consistently been more popular in America and not much in Japan; hence Ridley being called Captain America. Japan tends more towards RPGs and anime aesthetics, hence the American complaints of "too many anime swordsmen". Is it 100% in any case? No. There were plenty of Americans who actually wanted Byleth and Hero and plenty of Japanese who were loosing their minds over K. Rool and Banjo. But in this case you kind of have to back up and look at the whole painting instead of just focusing on all the individual brushstrokes. You zoom in enough on one color in a painting and you'll find that it's anything but uniform and has all sorts of random colors in it at certain levels. But when you look at the whole thing, it's just blue. Is my metaphor working?

Shroob

Sup?
The bad answer is anime aesthetics. But even a bad answer has a colonel of truth to it.

The more in depth answer is it's a mix of regional popularity/sales figures on both sides, mainstream recognition/previous exposure in a particular region, and history. Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox have consistently been more popular in America and not much in Japan; hence Ridley being called Captain America. Japan tends more towards RPGs and anime aesthetics, hence the American complaints of "too many anime swordsmen". Is it 100% in any case? No. There were plenty of Americans who actually wanted Byleth and Hero and plenty of Japanese who were loosing their minds over K. Rool and Banjo. But in this case you kind of have to back up and look at the whole painting instead of just focusing on all the individual brushstrokes. You zoom in enough on one color in a painting and you'll find that it's anything but uniform and has all sorts of random colors in it at certain levels. But when you look at the whole thing, it's just blue. Is my metaphor working?
Not really no.

I feel like you're generalizing a whole lot here tbh. Donkey Kong Country was rather large in Japan from what I remember, hell, I remember a lot of Japanese streamers clapping their hands over their head when they saw K.Rool's neutral going "KAPTAIN K.ROORU!"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Because China's a huge market and love movies.

America's a big market to Japan, but there's a lot of things in Japanese culture that don't transition well into American culture due to a difference in a lot of things.
I will never pander to China, I don't care if it costs me industry clout or not. It's the one thing I won't budge on.

And I gotta say.... the past decade of my life has given me a very.... what's the best way to put it.... it's given me a very Earthworm Jim attitude for how I want to portray Japan. I love the country and want to visit it and learn more about it but.... there is so much there that they just need to be made fun of for. Just like America. Just like any other country.

Shroob

Sup?
I will never pander to China, I don't care if it costs me industry clout or not. It's the one thing I won't budge on.

And I gotta say.... the past decade of my life has given me a very.... what's the best way to put it.... it's given me a very Earthworm Jim attitude for how I want to portray Japan. I love the country and want to visit it and learn more about it but.... there is so much there that they just need to be made fun of for. Just like America. Just like any other country.
Or we could just, ya know

Not

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not really no.

I feel like you're generalizing a whole lot here tbh. Donkey Kong Country was rather large in Japan from what I remember, hell, I remember a lot of Japanese streamers clapping their hands over their head when they saw K.Rool's neutral going "KAPTAIN K.ROORU!"
My point is... sometimes you kind of have to generalize. Because if you don't then you'll never really get anything done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom