• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Give me one of the best movies of ALL TIME that I haven't seen. I'm talking top 100 of all time on IMDB. Not about genre; it's about quality. S tier quality.
Oh, here are some of my favorites if we're talking legit cinema: Forrest Gump, Life is Beautiful, Memento, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Departed.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Terminator 2: Judgement Day- Haven't seen, but REALLY want to
Predator- Haven't seen
Commando (I'm an Arnold Schwarzenegger fan; what can I say?)- Haven't seen
Halloween (1978) - despite being a horror movie, it has very little blood and not much in the way of jump scares- SEEN! It's really good (aside from a few real shaky performances. Jaime Lee Curtis is POGGERS though)
Frankenstein (1931)- Haven't seen but want to
Ghostbusters- Seen. Egon is the true hero of the story <3
Kill Bill (or pretty much anything by Quentin Tarantino)- Haven't seen Kill Bill but I have seen other works by QT (Pulp Fiction, namely)
Goldfinger- Haven't seen
Army of Darkness (or Evil Dead 2, though I preferred Army of Darkness)- Never heard of until now
Street Fighter: The Movie (not a good movie, but an entertaining one, and worth it for Raul Julia's performance alone)- Heheheh, I've seen the memes
Escape from New York- Never heard of until now.
The Big Lebowski- On my watch list, but not overly curious of it
Die Hard- Ah, Peralta's favorite movie. I'll consider
Rocky (if there are any Rocky movies that you haven't seen; any of them aside from Rocky 5 are pretty good)- Rocky 1 is a classic! I haven't seen the others though.
Casablanca- One of my favorites <3 Seen
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy- Idk who this is
Die Hard is great - it's the best Christmas movie.

As for Escape from New York, it inspired Solid Snake. (the main character, played by an eyepatch-wearing Kurt Russell, is Snake Plissken) It takes place in the distant future of 1997, where New York City has become a walled-off prison colony. The President's plane has crashed in the middle of it, and Snake is sent in to rescue him.

For Army of Darkness, it's best to just watch it, since I'm not sure if any description that I make can do it justice - it's a horror-comedy (more emphasis on the comedy; the series started as horror but moved towards comedy as it went on), and Bruce Campbell is great in it. (you might have at least seen his character, Ash Williams, referenced somewhere - he's got a chainsaw for a hand, and his attitude and quotes inspired Earthworm Jim, Duke Nukem, and quite a few others) While it's the third movie in a series, it was the first Evil Dead movie that I watched, and I had no trouble with following it. (there's a recap at the start) Here's the start of the movie, if that helps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Getting 2nd place is a mixed bag.

I do not know whenever to feel happy, or whenever to feel salty that I did not get 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Oh, here are some of my favorites if we're talking legit cinema: Forrest Gump, Life is Beautiful, Memento, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Departed.
I've seen all of Forrest Gump twice or three times. I've seen scenes from Memento. I haven't seen the others.
The Princess Bride and Singin in the Rain are two must watches if you somehow haven't seen em already
Watched both and enjoyed both.

D

Deleted member

Here's a small lil doodle I made: what do you think?
sketch1597885111061.png

probably coulda make it look a bit more like the Pikachu is walking but this is just a warm up so I didn't really bother.

D

Deleted member

Here's another quick doodle I drew for practice.
sketch1597886709007.png

... don't ask how I think of these things. Although I have to say for something that took around 15 minutes it's not half bad... I'm definitely improving, piece by piece.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Minecraft. Here’s some advice. I know everyone already likes you for some reason. But if you want even more people to like you, I have two words. Mission Mode. Just something bare bones like in Sims or Zoo Tycoon. Just hire an intern to write out a list of objectives and missions that take the characters through the game, summoning the Wither and going to the end, all the stuff you can reasonably do. Maybe make a special item or two for completing it. You know, stuff that could probably be done in a week or less. All of the sudden then a tonne of people who don’t like you as you are will be able to have a good time and then you sell even more copies! Okay? You wanna try that out? No. You want me to go suck a what? Well, there’s no need to be rude.

D

Deleted member

Minecraft. Here’s some advice. I know everyone already likes you for some reason. But if you want even more people to like you, I have two words. Mission Mode. Just something bare bones like in Sims or Zoo Tycoon. Just hire an intern to write out a list of objectives and missions that take the characters through the game, summoning the Wither and going to the end, all the stuff you can reasonably do. Maybe make a special item or two for completing it. You know, stuff that could probably be done in a week or less. All of the sudden then a tonne of people who don’t like you as you are will be able to have a good time and then you sell even more copies! Okay? You wanna try that out? No. You want me to go suck a what? Well, there’s no need to be rude.
That's not really a big issue when the big appeal of Minecraft is that you can do whatever you want. Even then, I imagine most people will ignore it or avoid it, because for one, it's not really relevant to veterans, who likely have done the things in the checklist 1000x over, and newbies(the kinda players you want to drag into the game)would very likely go outta there way to avoid everything in that book(trust me, I'm one of those people when I play mods that just throw books at you and expect you to read them all)

as a side note, this is another one of THOSE.. "this game is garbage and I refuse to play it because it doesn't have this one tiny item!" scenarios, isn't it. -_-

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Do you guys think I would like the Bloodstained games?
Probably? I'm not 100% sure of what you've played in the past, but I know you've played the Mega Man games, so I think you'd like the Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games. (they're inspired by the older Castlevania games, not Mega Man, but it's a similar retro platformer aesthetic like what Mega Man 9 and 10 had)

Not sure what your opinions on Metroidvanias are. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was great, but from what I recall, you prefer linearity. (though I'm not sure if that's just with 3D games)

At the very least, look into Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's not really a big issue when the big appeal of Minecraft is that you can do whatever you want. Even then, I imagine most people will ignore it or avoid it, because for one, it's not really relevant to veterans, who likely have done the things in the checklist 1000x over, and newbies(the kinda players you want to drag into the game)would very likely go outta there way to avoid everything in that book(trust me, I'm one of those people when I play mods that just throw books at you and expect you to read them all)

as a side note, this is another one of THOSE.. "this game is garbage and I refuse to play it because it doesn't have this one tiny item!" scenarios, isn't it. -_-

Kind of yeah. I just.... I can’t help it. I see a game and I immediately think of additional things that could be added to it, even if it’s a game I actually like. And when it’s a game I don’t... it kind of goes overboard. I just... I just want to like something that’s THAT popular. But I don’t. And it doesn’t have any interest in dealing me in. And that sucks. I know you guys are sick of me venting my emotions. But it’s true that I feel really alone all the time.
Probably? I'm not 100% sure of what you've played in the past, but I know you've played the Mega Man games, so I think you'd like the Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games. (they're inspired by the older Castlevania games, not Mega Man, but it's a similar retro platformer aesthetic like what Mega Man 9 and 10 had)

Not sure what your opinions on Metroidvanias are. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was great, but from what I recall, you prefer linearity. (though I'm not sure if that's just with 3D games)

At the very least, look into Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1.
I’ll take a look at the first one then. Would you believe it, I’ve never even played a Metroidvania. I will say though, it’s harder to have boring open design in 2D then it is in 3D because you still have to move across the screen to progress, you can’t just... go around. So I might try Ritual of the Night too. Wonder if there’s a series bundle.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Kind of yeah. I just.... I can’t help it. I see a game and I immediately think of additional things that could be added to it, even if it’s a game I actually like. And when it’s a game I don’t... it kind of goes overboard. I just... I just want to like something that’s THAT popular. But I don’t. And it doesn’t have any interest in dealing me in. And that sucks. I know you guys are sick of me venting my emotions. But it’s true that I feel really alone all the time.

I’ll take a look at the first one then. Would you believe it, I’ve never even played a Metroidvania. I will say though, it’s harder to have boring open design in 2D then it is in 3D because you still have to move across the screen to progress, you can’t just... go around. So I might try Ritual of the Night too. Wonder if there’s a series bundle.
If you haven't played a Metroidvania, I'd recommend Super Metroid, Metroid: Samus Returns (the 3DS remake of Metroid 2), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or Ori and the Blind Forest. While Ori's the only one that you can buy on the Switch, you can play Super Metroid through the SNES Online app if you have that.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is another great one, though it's much more expensive than Curse of the Moon, so maybe look into footage of the game first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you haven't played a Metroidvania, I'd recommend Super Metroid, Metroid: Samus Returns, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or Ori and the Blind Forest. While Ori's the only one that you can buy on the Switch, you can play Super Metroid through the SNES Online app if you have that.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is another great one, though it's much more expensive than Curse of the Moon, so maybe look into footage of the game first.
Would Terraria count as Metroidvania?

I have played Bloodstained though, I need to finish that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Heyo, Z25 Z25 , have you caught the latest episodes of Amphibia and The Owl House?

I watched the former just yesterday and caught the latter last weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed both, and I feel that Amphibia's mid-season finale was a serious hype game changer. The show's vastly different from how it started out, and I mean that in a good way.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Do you think that ports of No More Heroes 1 and 2 for Switch would keep the mandatory motion controls?
No More Heroes: Paradise removed the Motion controls, They might just use the control scheme from that but if you play with 2 joycons the motion controls might be an option. That's my theory at least

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
has anyone here ever used Desmume? I've tried to run some games using it, but it's miserable. The frame-rate is 15FPS at best, and it sometimes causes my entire computer to lag incredibly. Does anyone know how to fix this, or if there's a better DS emulator?
It runs well for me (though I have a higher-end PC), just kinda sucky at highest definition, you may need to tamper with the settings somewhat. There’s other DS emulators, but I’m not sure how good they are.

I’ve learned Desmume sucks for Pokémon, though. Apparently the emulator’s devs don’t like Pokémon so much that they don’t fix any bugs in other games that would cause a bug to be fixed in a Pokémon game. I had to find a different build from this year (I assume others have been working on the emulator since the official Desmume website‘s latest dev build is kinda old, but idk) just to get Pokémon Heart Gold (randomized) to work without any graphical glitches (besides some black dots in the terrain, but they’re minor) and crashes. Kinda sucks the build doesn’t have higher definition options for graphics, but meh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Only a few more days and we’re going back to school... yay...

3 days of the week we’ll be at home, and 2 days we’ll be in school.(with required masks of course)

That and the new school building is gonna make this year really... really different, that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom