• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
R.I.P. my dreams of Wario Land ft. Waluigi.

This is extremely odd, a new franchise they're making or at least making a title for (it being "new" in that they haven't worked on it before maybe) and yet it's being revealed in a Nintendo presentation that's primarily about Paper Mario?
I got it! Paper Mega Man

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's 2020, can we stop pretending that Mario 64 is the magnum opus of 3D Mario?
I was never pretending. I'm sincere in that regard.

Odyssey comes close but I think 64 manages to incorporate other elements beyond exploration a little better.

That said, 3D Mario games in general are superb so you could choose a different game as the best and it wouldn't matter.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
alright so someone in a discord i'm in had a legitimately good suggestion

what if it's metal slug

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It clearly is, though. What, you think I'm gonna play a newer game without BLJs and parallel universes? At least L is real in Galaxy, though.
And are there any personalized Odyssey copies with the Wario Apparition? I didn't think so!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's 2020, can we stop pretending that Mario 64 is the magnum opus of 3D Mario?
I tried to play Super Mario 64 seriously for the first time before Super Mario Odyssey came out, since I'd played Sunshine and Galaxy pretty thoroughly but never 64, and while it was certainly fun and does hold up in a lot of ways... It was just a bit too simplistic for my tastes. Compared to how much personality and creativity are bursting forth from Sunshine, Galaxy, and later Odyssey, Super Mario 64 felt rather basic in its overall design. Makes sense, obviously, for the progenitor of all 3D platforming, but it didn't grab me by the collar as the best game of all time.

It's one of those things where, at the time, a game is incredible, it was a landmark achievement for the genre or industry, and it still holds up and is fun today, but newer players going back and playing it fresh might not find the same enthusiasm about it as those that grew up with it.

Another example for me is when I tried to play Morrowind after hearing certain fanboys praise it as the best Elder Scrolls game and trash talk Skyrim and sometimes Oblivion, so I went and played it, and... yikes, that game is rough if you aren't very familiar with its quirks or how games like that were back then.

Same thing with Super Metroid for me. I'm a big Metroid fan, but I only really play the Prime games. Last year, I went through and decided to play all the 2D ones I hadn't played: Zero Mission, Super Metroid, and Fusion, in that order. I thought Super Metroid was good, but I've seen some people literally say "Super Metroid is the best game ever made, period," and that was not what I felt while playing it. It certainly holds up, but there's a lot of things about it that I think are antiquated and have been improved upon by Metroidvanias that came after it. I definitely still prefer the Prime games.

I think about that kind of thing a lot with my favorite games. They're all my favorites because I played them when they were fairly new, but someone going back and playing them for the first time 15 years later won't get the same effect. They'll have played games of that genre that have refined and modernized some elements, and they might be put off by some of the old-fashioned details in these games from long ago.

The only exception to that kind of thing in my case, I think, is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I've beaten that game about a dozen times, two of them being 200.6% runs, and it's always a joy to come back to. I played it for the first time in 2011, 14 years after it was released. Nothing about it felt outdated to me, and I don't know what anyone else could say that might be offputting about it in the present. That game is pretty much as timeless as it gets (though the voice acting and writing are certainly dated--but in a charming way).

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Conspiracy time: all of the theories about the Wario apparition and the every copy is personalized theory were started by nintendo, in order to get people talking about Mario 64 right before they release it and other N64 games for switch.

Just kidding, haha.
Those were set up by Nintendo because they thought it would be funny

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sunshine has always been my fave 3d mario, and still is. Mario 64 is a classic tho, it's still a good game of its genre. But sure it might be simplistic these days, especially if you already know how to get all the stars.

Ocarina of time is a bit the same, and i find still hold up today as a great zelda game even if it doesnt beat breath of the wild or anything :p
N64 was just a great period.

Remake Mischief Makers XD

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Sunshine has always been my fave 3d mario, and still is. Mario 64 is a classic tho, it's still a good game of its genre. But sure it might be simplistic these days, especially if you already know how to get all the stars.

Ocarina of time is a bit the same, and i find still hold up today as a great zelda game even if it doesnt beat breath of the wild or anything :p
N64 was just a great period.

Remake Mischief Makers XD
Sunshine would probably be my favorite 3D Mario if it wasn't for pachinko and that damn watermelon festival.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Went to sleep for a few hours and I've woken up with a bad headache now.

I've died down and calm. However no caffeine, Father Ted and George Carlin like the last few nights.

Time for a pfp change I think.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sunshine would probably be my favorite 3D Mario if it wasn't for pachinko and that damn watermelon festival.
It's not that bad :p

I think it's normal to have a few gripes about any game. I dont like whenever something has a time limit. I mean, i dont mind short ones like the blue coin graffiti in sunshine, but in general i dont like time limits. Which is why I have a love/hate relationship with Majora's Mask.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I hated the water lily level too
I'm assuming this is the one with the poison river?

I hate that level. It's the worst in the game for me, everything else is very easy in comparison even with the varied difficulty. I think I was finally able to beat it at one point, but goodness was it annoying trying to grab all the red coins while still going fast enough for the lily to not disappear.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Do you guys ever think we're getting a 3D Kirby anytime soon? If at all?

So far, it's the last major classic (NES/GB era) Nintendo franchise to make the leap into the 3rd Dimension, and I do feel as if the series is suffering by playing it way too safe recently.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

So far, it's the last major classic (NES/GB era) Nintendo franchise to make the leap into the 3rd Dimension, and I do feel as if the series is suffering by playing it way too safe recently.
I kinda hope not, just for the fact that they should keep a franchise from going into 3d.
Unless it's really fun of course.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
DC better know what they’re doing if they're gonna continue moving forward with 5G

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Depends on how they handle it, as even with that one Planet Robobot minigame they did, I’m not sure if it’s enough. I do wanna see them try their hand at a full 3D Yoshi game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom