• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
One of the big issues the Smash Community has is the normalization of the party culture to minors. Almost every story I read that had to deal with personal interaction has to deal with giving alcohol to minors during a party, and then commiting statuary ****.
Party culture was already significantly discouraged in my local Smash scene, but now there's gonna be a *very* hard ban on it as much as possible. Best move that can be made right now for the scene I know, given all that's happened.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, EVO's ****ing done at this point lol.

If it does survive this somehow...

We going back to playing ****ing Melty Blood out of the back of a pickup truck on Dell 2005 models.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I've been following the news on this from work and I'm at a complete loss. Nairo was one of my favorite competitive Smash players, I loved watching him in the Smash 4 days and his rivalry with Zero was one of the main reasons I followed the scene, and now I just learned that the same guy I enjoyed watching was preying on a minor and tried to pay hush money to keep him quiet. It's gutting, and the fact that other Smash players (and Mr. Wizard of EVO) have done the same or similar things makes that feeling even worse.

Still, as said before, it's important that it comes out. You can't allow secrets like this to be held as that is damaging to the people that have been hurt, and it can be damaging to those in the future if these actions are allowed to be repeated. Puppeh and others like him should not have had to deal with the sexual advances and the trauma, and it's a good thing that those who preyed on him and others like him are getting outed from the community so that they can't do this again. Similarly, it's a good thing that options are being explored to prevent things like this from happening again such as splitting up the 18+ events from those that allow minors. If the community can learn from this and evolve the scene into a place that players can feel safe, then at least that can be a silver lining to this dark thundercloud, but there has to be continued growth and the steps that have been taken have to be followed through.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Evo's actually dead guys. Evo online's been cancelled, and Mr. Wiz is gone. And I don't think anyone's really confortable with returning to Evo, given how many allegations are coming out (and Evo itself isn't clean from this). Couple that on top of several disasters that's been piling up over the years, and we're on the way to E3 2.0.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo probably glad to have never truly backed up the competitive scene for Smash

Capcom, Bamco, Warner Bros, etc. all ditching is a good move to have made as well

360°

Smash Rookie
Entire FGC needs a colossal shakeup and wakeup at this point, it ain't just Smash.
Even many years ago, I talked to some people about fighting game communities and they realized, that those are the most toxic and abusive out there. Like the members trashtalking each other and others is not just common, but very common. Especially misogynstic slurs and the whole "we are such big boys" culture.

Gaming has a long way to go until it is fully accepted by society.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I don't post a lot on SB nowadays, but the events since a little over twenty-four hours have been extremely wild and horrifyingly nightmarish. I've lost complete respect today for several people in the community who I pay attention to due to their horrendous actions. The fact that many big-name Smash players are involved in this really shows how bad the rot is within.

I've seen some people wonder if Nintendo being more involved in the community initially would have prevented this from happening. But considering that misconduct and misbehavior can, and still occur even in competitive communities where a video game company invests in it, there could only be so much they could have done about it. Nintendo only learned about Nairo's private affairs today, would them being involved in the community necessarily guarantee they would have caught wind of it earlier or even immediately? Several gaming companies who are more invested in the FGC than Nintendo have only learned about long-standing (and apparently well-known) allegations about Wiz just today. Remember that this isn't just the Smash community that's grappling with this; it's the entire streaming/competitive gaming community.

We also have to remember that the Smash competitive community developed independently from Nintendo's eyes. Melee, the game that really grew the competitive community, was "a happy accident" that gave rise to several players, some former and some still active, that several of us look up to still to this day.

There have obviously been notable smaller incidents like this even before this all broke out, but this is no doubt the big one that will obviously have widespread implications on the entire community. Several big-name people in the scene will disappear or lose their influence in the community. The public perception of the community has obviously taken a huge hit (the fact that some people who aren't involved with Nintendo or Smash know about this debacle grappling at the community is telling of how big this has blown up). And of course, how will this whole debacle affect Nintendo's generally shy relationship with a community around their series/games that developed independently of them?

One can think about the future, but if there's a silver lining to all this, it's a major opportunity for the rest of the community to now address and hopefully eliminate the long-standing (and even glaring) issues that led to this (and several past incidents) happen to begin with. The many victims speaking up helped exposed the rot, how the community as a whole handles it from here on out will dictate its future in the long-term. We're beginning to see several TOs in the general competitive gaming community (Smash included), begin to take the necessary first steps. Hopefully, people don't fall back on those steps.

I hope, in addition to the many victims gaining closure from all this, that all this will help the community become more welcoming, friendlier, and most importantly, heal.

I apologize if I come off as rambling, but I had to let it out due to this mess.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Oh my..seems a lot has gone on today..
I don't even know what to say honestly except just..wow..

Shroob

Sup?
Well..... I got nothing really to say, and cracking a joke like I usually do feels like a bad idea during a bad time.

Guess I'm just posting to make the tension more palatable. :drshrug:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Can someone please explain in detail what happened? I know the basics but I’m still confused on so many aspects.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There's been a bunch of garbage today. It's startling. Gotta work through it as best as we can.

Secondly, the new CEO is effectively in their new position; effective immediately. Their name is Tony Cannon.
huehuehue... Tony Cannon
I mean, EVO's ****ing done at this point lol.

If it does survive this somehow...

We going back to playing ****ing Melty Blood out of the back of a pickup truck on Dell 2005 models.
Ayyyy Bathroom Melty Blood tournament come back

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey friends.

Today has been a...weird day. Weirder than most in a weird year. Today the Smash community was rocked by plenty of cases of sexual assault concerning top community members, and it's truly hit home for many who are within the community. It hurts.

In a community based on common interest, one would like to think that they could feel safe during events in which they are playing their favorite video game with friends and fellow competitors. For a fanbase of diverse backgrounds and ages, it's clear that safety must be a major concern for those who choose to participate.

I have never attended a tournament offline, and I have no connection to any of the folks who were accused today. While it is painful for the community, I cannot understate how important it is that these stories are told. It's uncomfortable to know that people we enjoyed or looked up to have done such grotesque things, but at the same time, we've been blessed with the knowledge that this is happening under our noses.

I'd just like to close in a response to what I've seen some folks say...Smash Bros. is something I have grown up with since I was in Kindergarten. I've played it with friends for years, have posted plenty of comments on message boards for Smash Bros., and I've honestly met some great people through the community, some of which I consider friends. Even though there are some folks who mean to do harm to others, or take advantage in certain situations...always know that there are great people in this community who want to create a positive environment.

Whether folks are arguing about their most wanted fighter getting into Smash Bros, or maybe they're working on becoming the GOAT, please do not lose faith in what truly makes the community awesome. Do not let the actions of a few scumbags taint the image of the rest of the community.

I realize I haven't posted here often, but maybe I'll post here a bit more.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hey friends.

Today has been a...weird day. Weirder than most in a weird year. Today the Smash community was rocked by plenty of cases of sexual assault concerning top community members, and it's truly hit home for many who are within the community. It hurts.

In a community based on common interest, one would like to think that they could feel safe during events in which they are playing their favorite video game with friends and fellow competitors. For a fanbase of diverse backgrounds and ages, it's clear that safety must be a major concern for those who choose to participate.

I have never attended a tournament offline, and I have no connection to any of the folks who were accused today. While it is painful for the community, I cannot understate how important it is that these stories are told. It's uncomfortable to know that people we enjoyed or looked up to have done such grotesque things, but at the same time, we've been blessed with the knowledge that this is happening under our noses.

I'd just like to close in a response to what I've seen some folks say...Smash Bros. is something I have grown up with since I was in Kindergarten. I've played it with friends for years, have posted plenty of comments on message boards for Smash Bros., and I've honestly met some great people through the community, some of which I consider friends. Even though there are some folks who mean to do harm to others, or take advantage in certain situations...always know that there are great people in this community who want to create a positive environment.

Whether folks are arguing about their most wanted fighter getting into Smash Bros, or maybe they're working on becoming the GOAT, please do not lose faith in what truly makes the community awesome. Do not let the actions of a few scumbags taint the image of the rest of the community.

As usual, Jones, you hit a nail on the head.

As far as I'm concerned, you are definitely one of the greatest people in this community.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So... EVO Online was cancelled for good reasons and I'm not gonna act like these allegations are less important then watching commercials. But I do wonder if and when any announcements that would have been made will happen now.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hey friends.

idk fam, gonna be pretty hard for the competitive smash community and evo to bouce back from this.

Not sure sponsers wanna be know for sponsoring something that had several people come out as gross degenerates, some even with 100% proof

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Man, this is crazy. So much to take in. Reading the thread on reddit about it, it’s obvious a few are very fake and I hate that people are taking the opportunity to lie while the smash community is in this state.
You can’t convince me 2020 isn’t the end.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
idk fam, gonna be pretty hard for the competitive smash community and evo to bouce back from this.

Not sure sponsers wanna be know for sponsoring something that had several people come out as gross degenerates
The competitive community will likely comeback at some point, but that's not really my main focus with what I was saying.

My point was moreso that folks who truly feel disgusted have every right to feel that way. There's a certain anger that comes from feeling betrayed. I have a few friends who feel that way because some of their own friends have been found out as guilty for similar accusations.

It's not so much about "save the comp community" as much as truly coming together and understanding what makes this community so great in the first place.

There's so much more to Smash than a small group of horrible people. So much more.

Shroob

Sup?
Man, this is crazy. So much to take in. Reading the thread on reddit about it, it’s obvious a few are very fake and I hate that people are taking the opportunity to lie while the smash community is in this state.
You can’t convince me 2020 isn’t the end.
I mean, it's a small online community of video games.

In a vacuum, sure, it seems bad but

On the wider scale? This is a blip on the radar of existence.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hi Gwen, I understand that this conversation was largely tangential to Smashboards. You're speaking generally about allegations such as these, in light of those that are taking place in the competitive Smash scene at the moment, and using this as an example to articulate your point. And I hope this isn't dragging things up unnecessarily, since I know it's been multiple hours since your post.

However, I also need to be very clear that if allegations were to be made against members of our staff, they will be taken very seriously and investigated. Staffers are not exempt from consequences, absolutely cannot behave that way, and have been dismissed for less in the past. Users can use the Report function on private messages, and those reports can't be altered even by administrators. It's not a feature of our forum software we have or even desire. I would urge anyone to please speak up if something seems wrong, and I can only hope we've fostered an environment where users feel safe to do that.
I'm aware they were taken seriously, as I mentioned, I used a hypothetical scenario where Neo Zero never got taken down. I only found out years after he got permabanned why that action was taken, him having been unbanned last year or so caused some ruckus too

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I mean, it's a small online community of video games.

In a vacuum, sure, it seems bad but

On the wider scale? This is a blip on the radar of existence.
That makes it way worse.
This doesn’t happen with other communities. Tekken or Street Fighter? I don’t keep up with it, but I’ve never heard of anything similar happening.
At this point, it’s just smash. And unless all of these people were like “let’s all be pedophiles together!” then that means all these people just decided on their own to screw a kid or harass a lady. and they all just happened to be professional smash bros players. EVO could recover. Competitive smash? I wouldn’t be so sure.
What I’m saying is, it’s just super freaky. Being a minor myself, it’s scary to think so much has happened so close to me.

Shroob

Sup?
That makes it way worse.
This doesn’t happen with other communities. Tekken or Street Fighter? I don’t keep up with it, but I’ve never heard of anything similar happening.
At this point, it’s just smash. And unless all of these people were like “let’s all be pedophiles together!” then that means all these people just decided on their own to screw a kid or harass a lady. and they all just happened to be professional smash bros players. EVO could recover. Competitive smash? I wouldn’t be so sure.
What I’m saying is, it’s just super freaky. Being a minor myself, it’s scary to think so much has happened so close to me.
I mean, the CEO of EVO was also literally just outed for pedophilia.

This isn't just a Smash problem. It's big in Smash yes, but this affects the entire FGC as a whole.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

This isn't just a Smash problem. It's big in Smash yes, but this affects the entire FGC as a whole.
Could also apply to other games as I was reading how similar things were occurring in the CSGO scene before everything today happened

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well some other interesting news that might cheer people up, we seem to have a lot of announcements coming soon.

Specifically,

1)Detective Pikachu 2 has had a domain registered for the game. A reveal may be soon.

2) According to Nathan Drake( one of the reset era insiders), he believes the next announcement should be a Pikmin collection and it should come soon based on his sources.

3) The Mario Remasters are being speculated about and rumored to be announced by the end of the month.

4) The guy that leaked the Direct that told us an ARMS character was coming, says another direct is coming this month. Likely also a mini because I doubt they could host a full one but that’s speculation.

If the first 3 are all happening then showing up in a mini direct would make sense.

Lastly, this part is full speculation and conspiracy theory, but people who are going with the 77777 smash trailer theory pointed out how the 7th is some famous star festival and as many believe the 77777 reveal of it happens could be Geno since he would have likely been at E3 if in: believe this further makes for a perfect alignment of things for his reveal even though it’s probably not happening.

Obviously the last part is big tin foil hat but a fun theory.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

You’re right, but this doesn’t mean that it isn’t strange. Why Smash? Yes, it affects the entire FGC, but why is Smash the one affecting it? This will probably never be answered and that scares me.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That makes it way worse.
You don't hear about it in other communities because no-one's really ever come forward about any incidents that might exist.

Shroob

Sup?
You’re right, but this doesn’t mean that it isn’t strange. Why Smash? Yes, it affects the entire FGC, but why is Smash the one affecting it? This will probably never be answered and that scares me.
"Why Smash"

Because there's a lot of children that play. Where children and adults mix, creeps will always exist.

Shroob

Sup?
It’s something we need to find the cause of. If we don’t cut out the root it will just keep growing back.
Better supervision.

Don't leave your children around creepy ass 20+ year olds that don't know how to socially interact with others outside of online. TOs are just as responsible as parents to watch their children and their participants to make sure they're not doing anything like this.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
You don't hear about it in other communities because no-one's really ever come forward about any incidents that might exist.
So it’s just coincidence that so many people in Smash come forward first?
I feel that a lot of people who confessed about their experiences recently did so because they realized now is possibly their only chance to. You’d think if this happened equally throughout the FGC, somebody who got sexually assaulted by, let’s say, a Blazblue pro player, would come forward as well?
All I’m saying is, this does affect all of the FGC, but this problem (to this scale, of course) only seems to be in the Smash community.

"Why Smash"

Because there's a lot of children that play. Where children and adults mix, creeps will always exist.
You do have a point, but that applies to many things. Most things Nintendo would apply, really. But (as far as I know,) something to this scale has only ever happened with Smash.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Smash Bros appeals to a wider age range of attendees. Mix that with events that have a largely laissez-faire approach to security and organization, easy access to drinks, and socially awkward top players who are treated like celebrities and allowed to do most whatever they want, and you get the perfect storm.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well some other interesting news that might cheer people up, we seem to have a lot of announcements coming soon.

Specifically,

1)Detective Pikachu 2 has had a domain registered for the game. A reveal may be soon.

2) According to Nathan Drake( one of the reset era insiders), he believes the next announcement should be a Pikmin collection and it should come soon based on his sources.

3) The Mario Remasters are being speculated about and rumored to be announced by the end of the month.

4) The guy that leaked the Direct that told us an ARMS character was coming, says another direct is coming this month. Likely also a mini because I doubt they could host a full one but that’s speculation.

If the first 3 are all happening then showing up in a mini direct would make sense.

Lastly, this part is full speculation and conspiracy theory, but people who are going with the 77777 smash trailer theory pointed out how the 7th is some famous star festival and as many believe the 77777 reveal of it happens could be Geno since he would have likely been at E3 if in: believe this further makes for a perfect alignment of things for his reveal even though it’s probably not happening.

Obviously the last part is big tin foil hat but a fun theory.
I need moar Pikmin, Nintendo.

Gimme MOAR. :olimar:

and that’d be awesome if Geno got announced during the Star Festival day.

Reminder that Super Mario Galaxy, releasing in 2007, also had a star festival. And the Mario Remasters getting revealed this month would also be really awesome :mariomelee:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel that a lot of people who confessed about their experiences recently did so because they realized now is possibly their only chance to. You’d think if this happened equally throughout the FGC, somebody who got sexually assaulted by, let’s say, a Blazblue pro player, would come forward as well?
All I’m saying is, this does affect all of the FGC, but this problem (to this scale, of course) only seems to be in the Smash community.

You do have a point, but that applies to many things. Most things Nintendo would apply, really. But (as far as I know,) something to this scale has only ever happened with Smash.
It's there, it's just that Smash was opening up now, I remember loads of arguments about this at EVO last year, especially with Infiltration being allowed to compete again pissing countless people off

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Because it’s never easy to come forward.

If there are incidents in these other games then the ones from the smash fanbase may give them courage to speak out and fight back finally. People affected like they are terrified of what will happen to them.

Once one person speaks up, others will too because it never happens to just one person. Just look at what led into these smash players coming forward or being outed, it was twitch and you tubers being pitted by people they hurt.

That inspired others to do the same and I’m sure we will continue to see this.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Coming forward about this sort of thing really isn't easy to do at all. These are about extremely harmful experiences and typing it all out means reliving what happened. The way people respond to this sort of thing also tends to be disgusting, victims have to be willing to put up with more harassment from internet ransoms.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Smash Bros appeals to a wider age range of attendees. Mix that with events that have a largely laissez-faire approach to security and organization, easy access to drinks, and socially awkward top players who are treated like celebrities and allowed to do most whatever they want, and you get the perfect storm.
I guess you’re right. But it’s still insanely freaky to think about it. I’ve never known this side of the smash community until now. And I know it isn’t everyone (quite obviously), but it’s just freaky, and i’m probably not in the right mindset right now. I’m sorry if I say something stupid.

It's there, it's just that Smash was opening up now, I remember loads of arguments about this at EVO last year, especially with Infiltration being allowed to compete again pissing countless people off
I understand Smash is only opening up now, but like I said, it’s a process.
1. First person comes out about it.
2. Several more people realize it’s their chance to come out and do so as well
So the next logical step would be for the fictional victim of the Blazblue player to see their chance and come out, right?
But that hasn’t happened yet. It’s still just Smash.
Because it’s never easy to come forward.

If there are incidents in these other games then the ones from the smash fanbase may give them courage to speak out and fight back finally. People affected like they are terrified of what will happen to them.

Once one person speaks up, others will too because it never happens to just one person. Just look at what led into these smash players coming forward or being outed, it was twitch and you tubers being pitted by people they hurt.

That inspired others to do the same and I’m sure we will continue to see this.
If you think that way, I can’t exactly just say you’re wrong. We’ll have to see what happens next. I don’t think it’s been a full 2 days since this started, so I can’t claim that nobody from some other FGC will ever come out about it.

Coming forward about this sort of thing really isn't easy to do at all. These are about extremely harmful experiences and typing it all out means reliving what happened. The way people respond to this sort of thing also tends to be disgusting, victims have to be willing to put up with more harassment from internet ransoms.
If that’s the case, so many people in the smash community wouldn’t have come out. You’re not wrong, but if so many people in the smash community are able to do it, you’d think maybe one person from some other community would be able to. Who knows, like I said before, I may be wrong. Some Tekken fan may come out about something right after I post this.

On another note entirely, do you think the allegation against Zero is true? I don’t want to think it is, but he would’ve been 18 at the time and might’ve made a dumb decision. I’m not sure. Knowing him, it isn’t, but it’s something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom