• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I didn't realize that Nights was that short of a game. Guess paying 5 bucks for it was more than worth it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
GameFreak's Pulseman is owned by SEGA and would be a great out of nowhere throwback.
Not sure how true that is as Game Freak is cited as the publisher for the VC re-release. IDK but it probably doesn't matter as Game Freak has a good relationship with SEGA regardless; Tembo was also published by SEGA, the Pulseman OST was apart of a SEGA collection, and Ken Sugimori is a SEGA fanboy. Would love to see Game Freak do anything with Pulseman.

Ironically Quinty is being re-released for the first time as apart of the latest upcoming Namco Collection; when it was published by Namco in JP and by Hudson in NA.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm making noodles and toast at 4am when I should be asleep.
What am I doing with my life?

Oh right, loud household so can't get routine.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I remember how Gamefreak would weirdly reference Pulseman in the Pokemon games early on, with both Pulseman and Pikachu's signature moves having the same name and Rotom being a clear nod to the character.

Also always liked how Pikachu's final smash had a similar animation to Pulseman's volt tackle.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don’t have that many ideas for games that would be on multiple platforms and I wasn’t planning on including a ton of them anyway, plus it’s not like exclusive characters are that common nowadays. If you don’t have any suggestions or anything to contribute to the initial point of that post, please drop the subject.

Ehh, I don’t wanna limit the game to one console audience, plus with some of the stuff I have in mind, Mario might not be the best fitting guest.

I’m not sure if that would really work and would feel out of nowhere, especially since there are a few human like characters already like Eggman, Erazor Djinn and Merlina. Though this reminds me that I did also have Terry Bogard as an option that I forgot to list and I think it’d be funny if similar to SNK Heroines, he ends up becoming a Sonic style wolf and it would happen to only him.

Not sure about MK or even Bayonetta (depending on how they go about her, just because Smash made her work doesn’t mean everyone can) but I’ll look into Pulseman though
Scorp the Stinger (Scorpion as a Scorpion), Sub-Zero the Penguin, and Bayonetta the Vixen. It just needs to happen.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Kinda do want Gamefreak to look back and give their dead franchises another go instead of being a strictly Pokemon Company. I feel like there are some untapped potential in some franchises they have.

Not Little Town Hero though, you can tell they just dumped it out to go work on the Pokemon DLC ASAP lol.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If you don’t have any suggestions or anything to contribute to the initial point of that post, please drop the subject.
Scrutiny is contribution. Not everyone can agree on everything. At least this isn't a more serious discussion...

Ehh, I don’t wanna limit the game to one console audience, plus with some of the stuff I have in mind, Mario might not be the best fitting guest.
I think out of ANY company that was willing to make a game console exclusive it'd be Sega. If it was Capcom or SNK, that'd be different.

Also Mario wouldn't be a fitting guest for a Sonic fighting game? Huh? I'd love to hear what that "stuff you had in mind" is...

I’m not sure if that would really work and would feel out of nowhere, especially since there are a few human like characters already like Eggman, Erazor Djinn and Merlina.
This is a strange hang-up. Like "too many sword-users" and "cereal mascots" strange.

Not sure about MK or even Bayonetta (depending on how they go about her, just because Smash made her work doesn’t mean everyone can) but I’ll look into Pulseman though
One thing you should note is that Bayonetta in Smash isn't the only instance of toning down a character. I always found "their most defining trait is their M-rated status" to be a convenient cop-out, especially in MK's case when there were a ton of clones back in the day that were just as brutal (if not more so) but never got the controls, background story or charm down :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
Kinda do want Gamefreak to look back and give their dead franchises another go instead of being a strictly Pokemon Company. I feel like there are some untapped potential in some franchises they have.

Not Little Town Hero though, you can tell they just dumped it out to go work on the Pokemon DLC ASAP lol.
Man, LTH was such a weird ride.

Little Town Hero is simply dropped as "Town" in a Direct, it's super hush-hush and secretive, but it gets people EXCITED.

"Town protagonist for Smash?!"

Little Town Hero gets dropped with like 0 fanfare and super mixed-negative reviews.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not sure how true that is as Game Freak is cited as the publisher for the VC re-release. IDK but it probably doesn't matter as Game Freak has a good relationship with SEGA regardless; Tembo was also published by SEGA, the Pulseman OST was apart of a SEGA collection, and Ken Sugimori is a SEGA fanboy. Would love to see Game Freak do anything with Pulseman.

Ironically Quinty is being re-released for the first time as apart of the latest upcoming Namco Collection; when it was published by Namco in JP and by Hudson in NA.
really wish they would just release Pulseman on other systems.... weirdly I don't want it on Switch, but the 3DS.

Scrutiny is contribution. Not everyone can agree on everything. At least this isn't a more serious discussion...

I think out of ANY company that was willing to make a game console exclusive it'd be Sega. If it was Capcom or SNK, that'd be different.

Also Mario wouldn't be a fitting guest for a Sonic fighting game? Huh? I'd love to hear what that "stuff you had in mind" is...

This is a strange hang-up. Like "too many sword-users" and "cereal mascots" strange.

One thing you should note is that Bayonetta in Smash isn't the only instance of toning down a character. I always found "their most defining trait is their M-rated status" to be a convenient cop-out, especially in MK's case when there were a ton of clones back in the day that were just as brutal (if not more so) but never got the controls, background story or charm down :yoshi:
Mortal Kombat in Smash. Please Sakurai-Senpai!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I just heard that the new HBO Looney Tunes cartoons will not have any guns, including for Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam.

I was interested in giving this series a chance but this isn't helping at all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't Mortal Kombat like, either SUPER unpopular or banned in Japan?
The former. They're free to release MK games in Japan if they're willing to censor them, but with such a small fanbase it's not worth it.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I just heard that the new HBO Looney Tunes cartoons will not have any guns, including for Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam.

I was interested in giving this series a chance but this isn't helping at all.
That is upsetting to hear, especially considering Fudd is a hunter. How would he attempt to hunt Bugs without a gun? And Sam firing his guns in the air when he was angry was hilarious.

Despite that however, I would still recommend checking out the series if you're on the fence. It's still got the lovely animation, funny gags, and great music that Looney Tunes is known for. I'm impressed with what I've watched so far.

Shroob

Sup?
just unpopular to the point releasing them there wouldn't be profitable. But Smash is released GLOBALLY. So it's not impossible for them to pick a character that's mostly popular in foreign regions.
It's not impossible, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

If Takamaru got Assist Trophy'd due to a lack of western appeal, I'd say that sentiment goes both ways.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It's been a long time since I made a gif starring Dorothy but here we are today:

StylishHair.gif

Will there be more in the future? Yes!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Man, LTH was such a weird ride.

Little Town Hero is simply dropped as "Town" in a Direct, it's super hush-hush and secretive, but it gets people EXCITED.

"Town protagonist for Smash?!"

Little Town Hero gets dropped with like 0 fanfare and super mixed-negative reviews.
People legit thought that game cut into Pokemon SwSh's development, so it started gaining more of an audience.

And then LTH turned out to be ass, and everyone realized it was probably the opposite. Game flops because it was legit incomplete.

Shroob

Sup?
Hero, Isabelle, Terry, Banjo, Chrom, Dark Samus, the Simon/Richter split.... need I go on?
Isabelle, Chrom and Dark Samus are owned by Nintendo.

Simon was HARD requested since Brawl, and even if Richter wasn't requested like, at all, Richter's one of the most iconic gaming characters of all time just due to it being one of the most iconic memes of all time.

Terry is highly iconic to fighting games. Terry is technically even niche in Japan, he's big to the FGC.

Hero is part of the biggest RPG franchises of all time, which many RPGs take inspiration from period, and it's not like Dragon Quest is this super secret obscure series in the west, especially after 11.

Banjo 1 actually sold extremely well in Japan, Banjo 2 not so much.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I have been watching a lot more movies recently and its a weird feeling. Normally I don't enjoy watching movies but there's so many I haven't sen or are rewatching that it's fun.

Challenge time: I watched the following 7 movies via HBO Max. Guess the order I watched them in (I alphabetized the list so it is not the order I watched them in):
1. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
2. The Goonies
3. Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4. Spirited Away
5. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit
6. The Wizard of Oz
7. Wonder Woman (the 2017 one)

Shroob

Sup?
frick,, don’t tell me then. I’ll figure it out
I mean, you said it yourself, the game's only available via two platforms, right? DS and Phone.

You only have 3 options at this point:

1# Force yourself to play it on your phone

2# Buy a DS and get the game 2nd hand

or the most sensible option

3# Swallow your pride and emul----*This user was confiscated by the Capcom Crusaders*

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I have been watching a lot more movies recently and its a weird feeling. Normally I don't enjoy watching movies but there's so many I haven't sen or are rewatching that it's fun.

Challenge time: I watched the following 7 movies via HBO Max. Guess the order I watched them in (I alphabetized the list so it is not the order I watched them in):
1. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
2. The Goonies
3. Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4. Spirited Away
5. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit
6. The Wizard of Oz
7. Wonder Woman (the 2017 one)
Wallace and Gromit, Spirited Away, Goonies, Dodgeball, Pokemon, Wonder Woman, Wizard of Oz

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Wallace and Gromit, Spirited Away, Goonies, Dodgeball, Pokemon, Wonder Woman, Wizard of Oz
Wonder Woman is in the right spot, the rest are not.

I will give a hint as to what I watched first.

The primary character of my profile picture

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I mean, you said it yourself, the game's only available via two platforms, right? DS and Phone.

You only have 3 options at this point:

1# Force yourself to play it on your phone

2# Buy a DS and get the game 2nd hand

or the most sensible option

3# Swallow your pride and emul----*This user was confiscated by the Capcom Crusaders*
Rightfully so, don't you dare suggest illegal activities, especially for capcom games.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hero, Isabelle, Terry, Banjo, Chrom, Dark Samus, the Simon/Richter split.... need I go on?
Isabelle is not a good example. She may not be as big as she is in Japan, but she still carries a lot of popularity in the west and even ignoring that Animal Crossing is a highly successful series that does well across the globe. She nor her series are anywhere near Mortal Kombat's struggles in Japan and they're nowhere near comparable.

And really, that's the big thing with Mortal Kombat. Unlike most of these examples (only Dark Samus is similar, and she's an Echo so she got in by being easier to add) it struggles in Japan whereas the others at least have some notable presence outside of their market. Dragon Quest for instance has sold a million at least for some of its entries including the recent Dragon Quest 11, Banjo actually did well in Japan and the original sold over 400K there, King of Fighters was a notable feature of arcades even if it wasn't quite to the level of Street Fighter, and so on and so forth. Mortal Kombat by comparison struggles to sell much in Japan and sometimes doesn't even get released there, with the most recent entry (XI) skipping it entirely. So Japan's lack of familiarity with it is a hurdle that it'd have to jump if it has any hope of getting a character in, and it should be kept in mind when talking about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom