• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Watching this video, especially the beginning parts, just makes me angry. Anyone else?
Agreed. It actually kinda annoys me to this day that video games are 'a blight on society'. One of the games in the lawsuit was explicitly a police simulator, and they argued it advocated crime. The vast majority of the studies about Mortal Kombat of the time were anecdotal at best, and downright biased at worst. Even now, there was that case where people suggested a school shooting was caused by someone playing Madden, and then there's the recent Twitch controversy about voice chat. The things that get to me more than any other?
1. The fact that there always has been infighting in the industry, be it the bitter rivalry between Sega and Nintendo, the divide between fans of series and such, or the divide between demographics.
2. The fact that the media will always report on sensational headlines to profit, but find it extremely easy to villainise gaming, and thus do - for the sake of a quick buck.
And those kind of people are idiots who will blame anything because they are useless at their jobs and need justification to keep getting the under the table money.

Video games taught me emotion and how to have empathy, enjoy history and more.

Those people are backwards thinking for violence; something that has existed since the first atoms smashing into each other at the dawn of time.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
In what world are Paper Mario fans happy? lol

This always bugged me because it definitely feels forced
I wouldn't exactly say "forced," I'd say "out of left field" because prior to the finale they had one episode where they showed any kind of chemistry in that capacity, and it was split between three pairs of characters because it was a recap episode.

And even then it was done in such a way as the be just vague enough that "One Million Moms" and other "family-friendly" activist groups wouldn't be alerted to "those damn queerosexuals poisoning my kids' minds!" I.E. bending to the pressure of what was most likely the network's demands.

That said, the quieter the voices of the foolish masses, the better and closer the next generation comes to being far more accepting of all people, so it's a bit of a gray area. And that's where I'm gonna stop before I start getting political.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Korra is technically the first real LGBTQ character Nickelodeon has ever had
As much as I appreciate more representation, you can’t just tack it on at the end and expect immediate brownie points or to forgive the flaws of the rest of the series. J.K. Rowling doesn’t get a pass and neither do the writers.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
As much as I appreciate more representation, you can’t just tack it on at the end and expect immediate brownie points or to forgive the flaws of the rest of the series. J.K. Rowling doesn’t get a pass and neither do the writers.
I think Korea will be looked on more fondly in retrospect once we get better and more consistent LGBTQ representation in media in general and we will be far less critical of every single one.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'll give Korra credit over J.K. Rowling in that there were at least some hints to Korra's relationship that could be picked out, they were scattered and still underdeveloped, but they were there in the actual story. I could not do the same for examples like Dumbledore who have no clear indication of an LGBT+ relationship, and thus instead of it being actual representation it instead feels like trying to retroactively make them representation regardless of what was in the story proper.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Today was a nice day, decided to go outside and play with my dogs as well as relax. Eventually took them for an long and decided to extend it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Holy cowabunga, someone else other than me actually REMEMBERS TMNT 2012!
literally every sane person in the multiverse remembers TMNT 2012. Such pure perfection from Nickelodeon
This always bugged me because it definitely feels forced
not forced enough for them to kiss on tv. Took years for them to kiss...via comics...but they crawled so that Loud House could run
idk what you mean with J.K.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
2003 TMNT will always be best TMNT.
yea-nope. That right goes to the 2012 and IDW incarnation of the Turtles. Hell Nickelodeon still uses those Turtles to advertise their stuff instead of the Rise ones

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
yea-nope. That right goes to the 2012 and IDW incarnation of the Turtles. Hell Nickelodeon still uses those Turtles to advertise their stuff instead of the Rise ones
I kinda grew up with that show so that probably plays an part why I think its the best in my opinion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
In what world are Paper Mario fans happy? lol
Nintendo: Introducing Paper Mario-

PM Fans: The Thousand Year Door 2!

Nintendo: and the Origami Ki-

PM Fans:

1589915421662.png

It looks like you kinda get partners in this game, but then again I haven't analyzed anything and have only seen the trailer once.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I kinda grew up with that show so that probably plays an part why I think its the best in my opinion.
I still want what would essentially be a Turtles Forever remake. Into the Turtle-Verse, Crisis on Infinite Turtles, if you will. I want to see ALL of these various Turtle incarnations and how they play off of each other, and despite how different they all are, how at their core the story is still the same. All about brotherhood. The movie would obviously reference primarily the four television shows, but you could easily add in the movies and comics via cameos and tie in material. Like a crossover special where the 90's live action Turtles meet the Micheal Bay turtles, or a tie-in IDW event with the original Mirage, Archie, and IDW turtle continuities.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
why is it that ttyd fans are suddenly the scum of the earth after origami king
No one's saying that, it's just jabbing at them for clinging onto the game for so long. Happened with Smash too when people were roasting the hell out of Melee players before Ultimate released.

I remember when people were saying that the balloon-knockback mechanic in this game was terrible for combos, ended up being the best for them.

D

Deleted member

Speed Weed Speed Weed

It's the same thing with Pokemon Gen 5 fans trashing anything after it. People don't know how to act unless they are wildly yelling at each other like banshees trying to go scorched earth.

Avoid fandoms as much as possible and keep discussions with people you respect and that respect you imo. Anyone with respect will criticize not try to bring something down.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You said "scum of the earth" so I assumed you meant as in fans of the original two bashing the post-Paper Mario games.
Yeah, that too. Yelling at people for liking newer Paper Mario games is basically this.

PngItem_4118812.png

People who like TTYD aren't bad for liking it, I'd say it's the best game in the series, but there are always bad apples in a bunch, and the memes are literally only making fun out of those selective few.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I hadn't watched anything from the Avatar franchise until last year, when I watched TLA due to how consistently praised and fondly remembered it is. But considering I've heard all kinds of opinions about TLOK, I have no plans to check it out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
idk what you mean with J.K.
This seems to sum it up.

So that's 2 leaked characters. At least Omega Shenron is cooler than the forced hetero character
If Roshi actually does get in, I'd be excited. He has a lot to offer from a gameplay perspective, and when it comes to characters who fought in the original Dragon Ball, he's up there with Tao Pai Pai, Demon King Piccolo, and Chi-Chi (she was playable in a PS2 fighting game - think it was called Super Dragon Ball Z) for me in terms of ones that I want to see as playable characters. (and Arale, if we're counting her - having Arale playable in FighterZ would be amazing, and I'd love to see this as one of her supers)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wouldn't exactly say "forced," I'd say "out of left field" because prior to the finale they had one episode where they showed any kind of chemistry in that capacity, and it was split between three pairs of characters because it was a recap episode.

And even then it was done in such a way as the be just vague enough that "One Million Moms" and other "family-friendly" activist groups wouldn't be alerted to "those damn queerosexuals poisoning my kids' minds!" I.E. bending to the pressure of what was most likely the network's demands.

That said, the quieter the voices of the foolish masses, the better and closer the next generation comes to being far more accepting of all people, so it's a bit of a gray area. And that's where I'm gonna stop before I start getting political.
It also just feels weird, like Korra and asami were both dating the same dude at season one, right? The dudes such a bad firebender he froze over two women lol

why is it that ttyd fans are suddenly the scum of the earth after origami king
I honestly struggle to comprehend who would be a fan of the modern Paper Mario games when the first 3 are objectively better in every way.

Sticker star is just a poor mans battle network, a REALLY poor mans battle network.

I can understand why some people don't know why the second game is the best one since it's so rare and Nintendo likes to pretend it doesn't exist but it truly is a high quality game, one of intelligent system's best.

Into the Turtle-Verse. That's something I'd like to see.
Oh my god yes, that would be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom