• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just as I was thinking of playing through Thousand year door again they dropped this new game announcement

I think Paper Mario is trying to be Mega Man Battle Network. You know, item based combat, leveling up dependent on collectibles and not experience, etc.

Except that series had a more active battle system :yoshi:
That's exactly what the modern games remind me of. Battle network and Star force handles their gameplay a LOT better. Oh... And they had a thing called a story.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Origami Peach looking more intimidating and scary then Bowser ever was in his 40 year career as the main Mario adversary.

It looks good so far. Also, that Metroid joke at the end. Hilarious and....can't help but feel like they were going somewhere with that...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What rumor are you talking about, may I ask?
Trying to find it but there's an tweet rumoring the ARMS rep will release on June 16th in response to the games 3rd year anniversary.
It’s bogus. It says Spring Man with a Hero sitch of 7 others as alts. Twintelle is one of the alts so you know it’s BS
If the ARMS rep is Spring Man I suspect it'll go more the Hero route with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Minmin.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Paper Mario is trying to be Mega Man Battle Network. You know, item based combat, leveling up dependent on collectibles and not experience, etc.

Except that series had a more active battle system :yoshi:
You do know gaining experience is still a thing in Color Splash, right? It's just done a bit differently, but it's after each battle, where you collect paint instead of getting static experience points. I wouldn't call it better or anything, but it's definitely an experience-based game for leveling up regardless.

The only time you do not gain traditional experience in any way is Sticker Star(where it's items in the overworld or story to level up your giant book).

Not saying they're favorable, but it actually never went the way you're thinking of. It did it for one game and changed it up the next game. SS is the outlier of a lack of gaining any traditional experience.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Origami Peach looking more intimidating and scary then Bowser ever was in his 40 year career as the main Mario adversary.

It looks good so far. Also, that Metroid joke at the end. Hilarious and....can't help but feel like they were going somewhere with that...
There was also a DK hat. It probably just means there are Nintendo cameo costumes like in SMM.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Maybe the trailer wasn't ready yet?

The Direct Mini was quite a while ago.
I guess that makes sense, it was almost two months ago (hard to believe, it hardly feels like two weeks have passed). It's just that the Direct Mini was very... dry, and the new Paper Mario would've helped.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
That Paper Mario reveal came out of nowhere but looks interesting.

However, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the last two games with their god awful battle systems, generic Toads being the only NPC's, and no original enemies so it's possible I could pass on this.

D

Deleted member

Uh, what, New Paper Mario, excuse me?

Like, I’m not complaining, but dang.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That Paper Mario reveal came out of nowhere but looks interesting.

However, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the last two games with their god awful battle systems, generic Toads being the only NPC's, and no original enemies so it's possible I could pass on this.
They seem to have more NPC variety but it looks like generic versions of other Mario races like Snifits.

D

Deleted member

Please let this new Paper Mario have an good story like the first 3 games.
Please let this new Paper Mario have actual partners with unique designs and personalities.
Please
don’t bring back the consumable attacks based battle system.
And most importantly....at least to me....
Please don’t have the characters be aware of the fact that they’re made of paper.

Yaaaay, Sticker star is in the same world as thousand year door.
How and why??

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
But if The Origami King fails to impress me, I'm willing to try a TTYD spiritual successor called Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling.

I'm hearing it's very good.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Color Splash irks me on how close it was to being a good game. It’s definitely a better Sticker Star though that’s not saying much.
I hope it’ll be a good game, but I’d still would rather have the series return to its stylistic roots.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Alright, hot take:

I don't care if the series never returned to TTYD style, as long as the games are good regardless. And the only one I'll consider bad is Sticker Star, but that was moreso dissapointing than bad. Color Splash was decent (could have been better), and Super was... eh.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Unfortunately, I have the original 3DS, so while I have amiibos, I can't use them. (I know there's an adapter or some kind of device that lets me use them, so I might look into that)

Shame that Smash Ultimate was removed from the EVO line-up. Not sure if that's due to the game's poor online (I didn't have many issues, but then again, I only played enough games to complete all of the challenges, and I didn't care if I won or lost), or because of a lack of announcements. (Nintendo seems to ignore EVO, unlike the other companies that are involved - the best that we've gotten is a Smash-specific Direct being announced for a later date - then again, the ARMS announcement would be less than a month before this, so that probably plays a part)

Not sure if Marvel vs. Capcom is getting new content (whether it's a new game or a re-release) or not (it looks like they're still holding the Tournament of Champions, or 20urnament of Champions, though the MvC2 logo is unusually absent), but I'm assuming that the other games are. (not sure when Capcom or Namco are going to move on to Street Fighter 6 or Tekken 8, but a new Dragon Ball FighterZ character seems really likely since there are still three unknown ones)
Like always, I’ll just watch any trailers after they get posted on YouTube. Even as someone who loves fighting games, I’ve never liked watching it competitively.

So, they just shadowdropped a new Paper Mario
Please don’t be like Sticker Star, please don’t be like Sticker Star...
Ok. Is it just me or does this look like a perfect marriage of the classic and modern versions? The story is dark and twisted but it has that weird paper stuff that SS and CS brought. Plus I am pretty sure there were partners in that trailer. And did my eyes really spit Geno, or am I just imagining things?
Unpopular Opinion Alert
Sony should make a new PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, but actually good.
Some ideas?
1. Take a leaf from Smash Bros. - rather than being pretty much a form of advertising, which makes the game now seem pretty dated, try using more of the history of PlayStation as a format, thus making the game more representative of the history.
2. Try and get some of the licenced characters from its history - like Cloud, Squall, Jill Valentine, Snake, Crash, Spyro, or Joker. Yes, these all may be in Smash, but they're good examples of characters that are important to PlayStation history - perhaps with the possible exception of Joker, but Persona probably ought to be represented.
2.5. Characters don't have to have been on PlayStation alone, but have to have been important to the history of the consoles, which is why characters like Jill Valentine make sense.
3. For a game like this, don't use the Smash style of gameplay. PlayStation was famous for traditional fighting games like Tekken, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and King of Fighters '98 (yes, some of these were arcade titles, but these were also very important titles on the original PlayStation.)
4. Bosses should probably be enemies from actual PlayStation games - because Polygon Man doesn't make sense as a climatic boss, really. Have things like a Metal Gear REX, or Sephiroth, or stuff like that.
5. Stages should also reflect the history of PlayStation.

I'll admit, I don't know much about PlayStation as a whole, but I'll say that these would likely be good changes and additions.
Any thoughts? Am I completely wrong (which is probable lmao) Feel free to tell me.
This is pretty much what PSASBR fans want. What I want them to do is make a big roster, everyone from game one and a crap tonne of new ones. With a tonne of new stages. I actually liked the whole “stage invasion” idea and would gladly see it return.

Also, Polygon Man was cool. But it should have additional bosses from PS history as well.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All I want is a Paper Mario game with a story and the aesthetic of the first 2 games, where toads and Koopa's were more than just Toads and Koopas and where there's an actual story, is that too much to ask for? IS IT!?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Honestly pretty amusing that Nintendo announces a new Paper Mario on the day Sony has a showcase for Ghost of Tsushima and it releases on the exact same day as it

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I just realized that my new profile picture has Wademan energy. Reminds me of his old Mewtwo icon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I need to learn Blender physics so I can do stupid stuff with the New Horizons models.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly pretty amusing that Nintendo announces a new Paper Mario on the day Sony has a showcase for Ghost of Tsushima and it releases on the exact same day as it
I wonder if this is even a coincidence, considering that Xenoblade DE and the TLOU2 were gonna release on the same day as well, and we all know how that turned out.
Probably is a coincedence lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Recently I saw a tweet which has made me question a lot of stuff I have done in the past.

The tweet was arguing that people with ADHD tend to ruin a lot of social relationships by talking about their life experiences to solve problems because "that way they make everything about themselves and end up annoying everyone near them".

Since I read that I am still concerned about whether or not I have really done good stuff all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom