• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm bored
Recommend me a video game to play
Well, what consoles do you have?

Maybe I phrased this wrong- a digimon char would be cool, and people would like it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the support for digimon comes from wanting the general concept of pokemon vs digimon in smash and not from actually wanting to play as agumon.
Perhaps, but that concept applies to a lot of characters. Many people that want a specific character in Smash are also fine with other characters as their franchise is still represented. I know for a fact many people were fine with either Slime or a Dragon Quest protagonist as a playable fighter making an appearance into Smash.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
speculation scene: characters need a decent amount of support to be viable picks for the remaining few characters
sakurai, c. feb 2019:

1560712157075.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I played Quest 64 like a decade ago lol
I also played battle and the adventure games. I'm kind of looking for something new.
Have you played all the core Dragon Quest games(numbered ones)? All the Dragon Quest Monster games?

You could try out the updated Gameboy port called Quest: Brian's Journey. Somewhat easier than the Japanese version, being called Jack no Daibouken. Just like with Eletale Monsters(Japanese version of Quest 64), it has various improvements.

Let's see, did you play all three Sonic Advance games?

Shroob

Sup?
I'd be lying if I said that I wasnt looking forward to september to see character 4 in the september direct.

I was already content with the base game but seeing how each new series gets incorporated into smash is just so cool. The wait for February to see our final character sucks.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'd be lying if I said that I wasnt looking forward to september to see character 4 in the september direct.

I was already content with the base game but seeing how each new series gets incorporated into smash is just so cool. The wait for February to see our final character sucks.
how do you know the dates of the reveals?
are u a wizard? because wizards are scary.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon is my childhood, and I never played a Digimon game nor watched the anime ( I know someone who has saw the anime. ).
You know I side with Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

I played Quest 64 like a decade ago lol
I also played battle and the adventure games. I'm kind of looking for something new that I haven't played.

If I'm busting out Doom again then it's gonna be with mods, got any mods in mind?
There's this one Doom II mod called Death Foretold that adds the new mobility options from Doom 4 into the classic game for a faster experience. Heard good things about it, maybe check it out.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

bold of you to assume september isn't just banjo's release and we're not waiting until october at the earliest for challenger pack 4

Noipoi

Howdy!
I never cared for any Pokémon vs Digimon stuff. I’m not into Digimon but I never disliked it.

That being said, I’m pretty sure the Pokémon series is my life source. Without it I’d wither away into nothingness.

So yeah Pokémon for me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
how do you know the dates of the reveals?
are u a wizard? because wizards are scary.
We know that the time frame for the fighter's pass goes up until February 2020, meaning there's a good chance the last character will be revealed then.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Jackie Chan Action Kung-Fu
It's one of those cheap hardcore NES games isn't it?

Well, what consoles do you have?
Ehh I have about every good console, although my Xbox 360 broke a long time ago so that's off the table.

Have you played all the core Dragon Quest games(numbered ones)? All the Dragon Quest Monster games?

You could try out the updated Gameboy port called Quest: Brian's Journey. Somewhat easier than the Japanese version, being called Jack no Daibouken. Just like with Eletale Monsters(Japanese version of Quest 64), it has various improvements.

Let's see, did you play all three Sonic Advance games?
Not all the DQ games, only 3,5,8, and currently 11. Haven't played the Monster spin-offs. I did play the Sonic advance games.
Also Quest 64 had a port on the Gameboy???

Earthbound from the epic Super Nintendo Entertain System with revolutionary 32 bit graphics and a totally radical soundtrack.
or play Plok, I dunno.
Played Earthbound like a bajillion times. Also what's Plok?

Don’t play super smash bros

I hear that game is ****
Must be a terrible game, duly noted.

There's this one Doom II mod called Death Foretold that adds the new mobility options from Doom 4 into the classic game for a faster experience. Heard good things about it, maybe check it out.
Seems interesting, gonna look it up.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
We know that the time frame for the fighter's pass goes up until February 2020, meaning there's a good chance the last character will be revealed then.
isn't it more that the last character will be released then?

corrin/bayo were revealed in december and released in february

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm bored
Recommend me a video game to play
Ever play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones? I'm doing a run of the game right now so it was the first thing to come to mind.

D

Deleted member

It's one of those cheap hardcore NES games isn't it?

Ehh I have about every good console, although my Xbox 360 broke a long time ago so that's off the table.

Not all the DQ games, only 3,5,8, and currently 11. Haven't played the Monster spin-offs. I did play the Sonic advance games.

Played Earthbound like a bajillion times. Also what's Plok?

Must be a terrible game, duly noted.

Seems interesting, gonna look it up.
Play Enter The Dragonfly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
2D remake. Same general gemeplay, just less controls. And it's more robust so you need to put something in each element to get combined spells. You want Healing Lv 1? Put some in both Water and Earth. Etc. Other important thing is that stat goes up very differently, though some similarities, and you need to finish a battle for them to count. I can go into it more if you want me to.

Magic is also wayyyyyyyyy stronger. It's more challenging, especially with a Game Over factor. On the other hand, it has a better start menu.

DQ Monsters is fun, not super different from usual team battle games, probably akin to DQIII. I haven't played beyond 2 among the regular DQ series. It's kind of akin to Golden Sun(in DQM1) where you restore MP by walking around. Many similar spells/abilities are there. You start off with Terry, the younger version of the DQVI hero, as your trainer of sorts. Then you get Slime as a starter. You're able to catch more Monsters with types of Meat. Main issue is a very limited monster set. Your ranch has a pretty small amount. So if you intend to have one of each monster, it's impossible. Pokemon didn't have that option till later due to not enough boxes, but you could keep a lotttttt of them. DQM unfortunately has... what was it, around 40 max? A "ranch where everyone is asleep", your regular ranch, and well, 3 current party members. I might be thinking of the differences from the second game though. That said, the biggest weakness of these games is your ranch(not the asleep one) gains experience, but not any monster abilities. So if you don't rotate them out, you can't train them well. :/

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ever play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones? I'm doing a run of the game right now so it was the first thing to come to mind.
Second Fire Emblem I played actually. First one was the Blazing Blade.

Play Enter The Dragonfly.
The Spyro PS2 game?
Finished it a long time ago.

Xenoblade Chronicles X... if you have a Wii U.

If not then idk
Don't have a Wii U unfortunately, I only played on the console with my friend when I visited him in his home.

Pretty much, it's quite decent gameplay-wise but is hard as ****.
Very interesting, I'm down for a hard game.

Undertale, then Deltarune.

Meep.
Played both

Well then try out the Devil May Cry Games, all conveniently bundled on the PS4 with the latest entry being a standalone title.
Already played the entire series

Platform game about a thing that kills things in a thing world.
Here's some confusing screenshots:
Hmm, looks interesting.

Minecraft or Smash Ultimate.
Played them heavily for the last few months that I'm burned out and taking a break.

2D remake. Same general gemeplay, just less controls. And it's more robust so you need to put something in each element to get combined spells. You want Healing Lv 1? Put some in both Water and Earth. Etc. Other important thing is that stat goes up very differently, though some similarities, and you need to finish a battle for them to count. I can go into it more if you want me to.

Magic is also wayyyyyyyyy stronger. It's more challenging, especially with a Game Over factor. On the other hand, it has a better start menu.

DQ Monsters is fun, not super different from usual team battle games, probably akin to DQIII. I haven't played beyond 2 among the regular DQ series. It's kind of akin to Golden Sun(in DQM1) where you restore MP by walking around. Many similar spells/abilities are there. You start off with Terry, the younger version of the DQVI hero, as your trainer of sorts. Then you get Slime as a starter. You're able to catch more Monsters with types of Meat. Main issue is a very limited monster set. Your ranch has a pretty small amount. So if you intend to have one of each monster, it's impossible. Pokemon didn't have that option till later due to not enough boxes, but you could keep a lotttttt of them. DQM unfortunately has... what was it, around 40 max? A "ranch where everyone is asleep", your regular ranch, and well, 3 current party members. I might be thinking of the differences from the second game though. That said, the biggest weakness of these games is your ranch(not the asleep one) gains experience, but not any monster abilities. So if you don't rotate them out, you can't train them well. :/
Thanks for the info!
Would you recommend Monsters to someone who enjoys Pokemon and Dragon Quest?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
All this RPG talk reminds me that I have to continue Golden Sun: TLA because I haven't touched that game since I bought it.

That hour I spent copying that password won't go to waste.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thanks for the info!
Would you recommend Monsters to someone who enjoys Pokemon and Dragon Quest?
Absolutely. 1st game is overall easier.

Second games(Cobi's Journey and Tara's Adventure) have the annoying factor that your MP won't go back up while in a dungeon as you move. This makes it extra difficult.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
88CFC122-3641-4AB3-98E2-DF08F57F3486.png
Looks like it’s just you and me in this ghost town TheMightyP TheMightyP

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Reminder that Pokemon can breed, so these guys also qualify as dads:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:
Reminder that Pokemon can inbreed, so these guys also qualify as dads to their sisters.

...Dang IV breeding is really messed up if you think about it. I guess it's not all that different from real life dog breed breeding though so bonus points for realism there.
Is that show Hilda worth watching?
It's a cute, fun little show. I enjoyed it, so yeah, I'd say it's worth checking out.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Dunno, I always felt that the Digimon-Pokemon rivalry was one sided from part of the Digimon fans. Digimon never reached the same amount of popularity Pokemon had, and even nowadays its impressive to look back and see the phenomenon that Pokemon was on 98 when it was released on the west and how it continues today.
In the west Digimon was actually on par with Pokémon in a lot of areas in its prime. Digimon Adventure had ratings that were close to, if not surpassing Pokémon's Orange Island arc in the same time frame, to the point that it was not only the saving grace for the Fox Kids block it was on for a couple years, said block pushed it to a huge extent in response. Additionally, similar to Pokémon the anime led to a huge spike in merchandising where it had a huge amount of presence among toylines and the like. The only major area it faltered in was the games where Pokémon was completely dominant, but considering that a major driver for Pokémon's success was the multimedia presence it does still show how huge Digimon was to compete with it in its most lucrative areas.

It has fallen off greatly, that is definitely true, but it can't be denied the presence it had on culture during that time nor the impact it did leave. There is a reason why it still has a loyal fanbase while other Mon franchises like Monster Rancher virtually disappeared, or why a common complaint with Pokémon fans is 'That Pokémon looks like a Digimon' and that Death Battle between Charizard vs. Greymon video got hugely heated due to the result. It's kind of Sonic to Mario in a sense, it's not at its prime anymore, but the lingering effects it had still remain to this day and it'll likely always have that mark as long as that nostalgia exists.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Oh, are you guys talking about Digimon? Have you checked the video of Digimon Survive where the creator talks about his experiences with not only the games but also the anime and how he wants to do the best possible game and that he has been paying attention to the comunity and what they want and is thanks to them that the game will be not only on PS4, but also on XBOX, Switch and PC?

D

Deleted member

In the west Digimon was actually on par with Pokémon in a lot of areas in its prime. Digimon Adventure had ratings that were close to, if not surpassing Pokémon's Orange Island arc in the same time frame, to the point that it was not only the saving grace for the Fox Kids block it was on for a couple years, said block pushed it to a huge extent in response. Additionally, similar to Pokémon the anime led to a huge spike in merchandising where it had a huge amount of presence among toylines and the like. The only major area it faltered in was the games where Pokémon was completely dominant, but considering that a major driver for Pokémon's success was the multimedia presence it does still show how huge Digimon was to compete with it in its most lucrative areas.

It has fallen off greatly, that is definitely true, but it can't be denied the presence it had on culture during that time nor the impact it did leave. There is a reason why it still has a loyal fanbase while other Mon franchises like Monster Rancher virtually disappeared, or why a common complaint with Pokémon fans is 'That Pokémon looks like a Digimon' and that Death Battle between Charizard vs. Greymon video got hugely heated due to the result. It's kind of Sonic to Mario in a sense, it's not at its prime anymore, but the lingering effects it had still remain to this day and it'll likely always have that mark as long as that nostalgia exists.
If we're talking about their prime, Digimon still doesn't scratch the Behemoth that was Pokemon. I seriously don't know about the US, but the series that was big by the time I was 11-12 (2000ish) was still Pokemon and I even remember that our teachers had to give space between classes so we could trade stuff like stamps or cards. The Digimon anime where I lived wasn't as popular as you needed cable to watch it unlike Pokemon which was on regular TV alongside Dragon Ball.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Reminder that Pokemon can inbreed, so these guys also qualify as dads to their sisters.

...Dang IV breeding is really messed up if you think about it. I guess it's not all that different from real life dog breed breeding though so bonus points for realism there.
Keep in mind you can shove a Ditto into the family tree somewhere, messing everythjng up.
But yeah, breeding in Pokemon is messed up, do it ethically kids. Do not make the father Pokemon also the father of his daughter's Pokemon child.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If we're talking about their prime, Digimon still doesn't scratch the Behemoth that was Pokemon. I seriously don't know about the US, but the series that was big by the time I was 11-12 (2000ish) was still Pokemon and I even remember that our teachers had to give space between classes so we could trade stuff like stamps or cards. The Digimon anime where I lived wasn't as popular as you needed cable to watch it unlike Pokemon which was on regular TV alongside Dragon Ball.
I can't speak for your area, but in the US in general it was that big. Ratings they were on par, merchandise was high for both, and there was a large debate among kids on the playground over whether Pokémon or Digimon was better. I still remember the debates I used to have with the kids in my school over how Pokémon was so much better then Digimon (ironic considering I like both nowadays) and there are many kids that had that same experience. Culturally Digimon was very much the accepted rival to Pokémon, and part of that came through the fact that both shared the same success and impact on kids during that time period.

Edit: Here's a news report from the timeframe, according to this Digimon actually beat Pokemon in ratings and merchandising over certain months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom