• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Crysis remastered is supposedly coming out, PS4, XBOX1, and even the Switch. Never played those games, I mostly know about them for technical prowess and the main dude having a cool suit.
I mostly know it for "Can it run Crysis"? And the answer is yes.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Seeing it makes me raise hopes for Soul Calibur VI to come to the Switch. Really want another fighting game port. Or a Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax sequel.

I never understood the appeal and popularity of him. I just don't get it. Design wise he looks ok but I just don't understand the bigness of him.

I mean honestly, if there was anything close to a character that could represent a Mario Spinoff or something, I would want it to be the Baby Bros or Captain Toad.
It's not about repping a Mario Spinoff. It's about putting a spotlight on a long ignored fan favorite character from a SNES classic. It's about bringing in a character who, while not in the top 10 at first, has been suggested for the game since the original N64 game. That's why people want Geno. Besides, I thought we were trying to distance speculation from the idea of "reps".

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, according to thus graphicView attachment 269405
No DBZ characters in season 2.

I guess Majin Buu is far more important than Gohan.

They really gave us Cell, but no Gohan, how does that make any sense?
You mistook my statement. Jump Force looks like trash. And I have zero interest in playing it. I want THIS game in English.

One of my favorite games, I think an official English patch would be great.

How can you say that? He's all over twitter and he's on every Smash wishlist I've ever seen. Be it a youtuber or website article. Big and small. And it's not just the Smash community who watches and reads those things. I'm not saying he's a household name or anything like that, but he's not completely unknown.
And I'm saying the internet going audience, and people who pay attention to Smash wishlists are a small part of a much larger audience. Hell, I've seen a lot of wishlists, plenty of which don't have Geno. And not all of the 13 million plus sales are people on twitter asking for their characters. And if you really think that Geno's on every list but Waluigi was just some meme that started to pop up in Ultimate you're being kind of willfully ignorant. And that's not getting into other characters like Sora or Pheonix Wright, who have been fairly popular for a long ass time.

And the grander scope of gaming, Geno's no where near most characters level. Does that mean he won't be in Smash? Don't know, I'm not Sakurai. i'm not denying that he's popular with Smash fans. But I can tell you more people give a **** about Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Waluigi outside of Smash. People grew up with Jigglypuff and Pokemon. To this day a lot of Nintendo fans want a new F-Zero.

Both were popular in Brawl, Geno pretty much died in Smash 4, and both are popular in Ultimate, but only after Ridley and K.Rool, much more consistently popular characters got in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Back from my morning play and walk with the dogs.

Came at an good time to see Jump Forces first DLC fighter for the Pass 2.

If rumors are to be true then we'll get Kombat Pack 2 announced next week given MK11's first anniversary.

Speaking of Jump.

Know how I've always considered King K. Rool and Blackbeard as an rivalry for an potential Nintendo vs. Jump Force game. I came upon this.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
It's not about repping a Mario Spinoff. It's about putting a spotlight on a long ignored fan favorite character from a SNES classic. It's about bringing in a character who, while not in the top 10 at first, has been suggested for the game since the original N64 game. That's why people want Geno. Besides, I thought we were trying to distance speculation from the idea of "reps".
Again I just don't see why he is so popular.

I played Super Mario RPG a few years back. I thought it was a nice take on the genre even though it hasn't aged as well as other JRPGs and better than some.

It was just ok. Nothing to write home about for me compared to other SNES RPGs such as Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. Music was great and at the time really was a great preview of what Shimomura would come to compose.

I just don't see why Geno is appealing. That is all.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Again I just don't see why he is so popular.

I played Super Mario RPG a few years back. I thought it was a nice take on the genre even though it hasn't aged as well as other JRPGs and better than some.

It was just ok. Nothing to write home about for me compared to other SNES RPGs such as Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. Music was great and at the time really was a great preview of what Shimomura would come to compose.

I just don't see why Geno is appealing. That is all.
Fair point. I think for a lot of people it’s nostalgia. I don’t have nostalgia for it personally, I just think he’s cool.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm kind of tempted to think of a roster for a Jump Super/Ultimate Stars sequel if it was made now and expanded on the previous games. It probably wouldn't happen, but there's a ton of potential there, seeing as both Naruto and Bleach have ended since then, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has become a lot more popular (so we'd get playable characters beyond part 3), One Piece has had a time-skip, and plenty of new series (like My Hero Academia and Toriko) started.

Though if I'm being realistic, Shaman King characters would probably have to be cut (I'm pretty sure that Kodansha bought the series), and I don't know enough about modern Jump (aside from My Hero Academia) to know who would best represent it.
If anything they should do an "EVERYONE IS HERE!" and Smash equivalent to the Jump game series.

Dutch Raikuna

Fair point. I think for a lot of people it’s nostalgia. I don’t have nostalgia for it personally, I just think he’s cool.
Pretty much.

My point with Geno is I just don't understand his popularity. This is probably my media studies background speaking but explain to me for example why he appeals to certain audiences and reasons why people jumped onto his popularity over time.

Do some people jump onto a fanbase like his for what reasons? I've heard more or less how that fanbase is known to not be as friendly as others. And looking at why some people on places like Reddit and whatnot get even the slightest bit angry over anyone dissing him.

Why is he so high on lists when his background is a party member character in an 90s RPG?

I mean I could probably explain to you at least 5-10 characters in pretty good detail why I would want this character or that character in Smash.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pretty much.

My point with Geno is I just don't understand his popularity. This is probably my media studies background speaking but explain to me for example why he appeals to certain audiences and reasons why people jumped onto his popularity over time.

Do some people jump onto a fanbase like his for what reasons? I've heard more or less how that fanbase is known to not be as friendly as others. And looking at why some people on places like Reddit and whatnot get even the slightest bit angry over anyone dissing him.

Why is he so high on lists when his background is a party member character in an 90s RPG?

I mean I could probably explain to you at least 5-10 characters in pretty good detail why I would want this character or that character in Smash.
Well. I can’t speak for the people with nostalgia. But for me, I saw the popularity of him so I did some investigating. I think he has interesting powers and a potentially interesting moveset with the whole timed hits thing. He has a cool personality and backstory. And I liked his design. That was enough to win me over.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The way I see it I guess is Geno is pretty much an example of an enigma.

Plus Super Mario RPG's popularity and how its considered an classic with Geno probably being among the characters representing it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The way I see it I guess is Geno is pretty much an example of an enigma.

Plus Super Mario RPG's popularity and how its considered an classic with Geno probably being among the characters representing it.
I mean... not really. A lot of people like him, probably for reasons similar to what I outlined plus nostalgia. And when a character clicks with a lot of people, they become popular. That's all that happened.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't hate Geno. I just think that saying he's in the public eye is a big stretch. He's too niche compared to the other popular choices for Smash. Not that its the deciding factor for getting a character into Smash. But people shouldn't be that shocked that Terry and Hero matter to a hell of a lot of people too(and honestly moreso), just because someone didn't vote for them on a poll on twitter that appeals mostly to Western Nintendo fans. He's probably just that character I've gotten jaded against. If anything gets him in, it'll be to appeal to the more hardcore Smash fanbase. Not a bad thing mind you.

As far as being totally biased, I'd much rather see more stuff from the likes of Sonic, Mega Man and Castlevania. Those series are only scratching the surface of what those characters can do. Not that they'd be as fleshed out as Pokemon and Mario, but you get the idea.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't hate Geno. I just think that saying he's in the public eye is a big stretch. He's too niche compared to the other popular choices for Smash. Not that its the deciding factor for getting a character into Smash. But people shouldn't be that shocked that Terry and Hero matter to a hell of a lot of people too(and honestly moreso), just because someone didn't vote for them on a poll on twitter that appeals mostly to Western Nintendo fans. He's probably just that character I've gotten jaded against. If anything gets him in, it'll be to appeal to the more hardcore Smash fanbase. Not a bad thing mind you.

As far as being totally biased, I'd much rather see more stuff from the likes of Sonic, Mega Man and Castlevania. Those series are only scratching the surface of what those characters can do. Not that they'd be as fleshed out as Pokemon and Mario, but you get the idea.
He's not at the center of the public eye. And he's not very big in the frame. He's like, a few inches tall in the bottom left corner poking his head out from behind a few other guys.

Dutch Raikuna

Well. I can’t speak for the people with nostalgia. But for me, I saw the popularity of him so I did some investigating. I think he has interesting powers and a potentially interesting moveset with the whole timed hits thing. He has a cool personality and backstory. And I liked his design. That was enough to win me over.
Fair enough. People like yourself I can understand with it.

Part of the reason why I've avoided him is partially because I've seen how toxic some of his fanbase is. Sending death threats, harassment of other fanbases. Stamping around.
Some trolls just jump on it because that's the only way for them to get their tit milk it seems and it creates a negative image on that character.
It has a knock on effect and pushes me away from that character.

I can understand the nostalgia, just the toxicity of some pushes me away from it.

I can really understand that view. As much as some of my wanted are at least somewhat niche (Travis Touchdown, Estelle Bright, Ragna the Bloodedge) I can understand in a sense the most popular first. Crash Bandicoot, Scorpion, Jill Valentine etc. first before the lot for example I mentioned at it reaches the bigger audience who knows the characters.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Fair enough. People like yourself I can understand with it.

Part of the reason why I've avoided him is partially because I've seen how toxic some of his fanbase is. Sending death threats, harassment of other fanbases. Stamping around.
Some trolls just jump on it because that's the only way for them to get their tit milk it seems and it creates a negative image on that character.
It has a knock on effect and pushes me away from that character.

I can understand the nostalgia, just the toxicity of some pushes me away from it.

I can really understand that view. As much as some of my wanted are at least somewhat niche (Travis Touchdown, Estelle Bright, Ragna the Bloodedge) I can understand in a sense the most popular first. Crash Bandicoot, Scorpion, Jill Valentine etc. first before the lot for example I mentioned at it reaches the bigger audience who knows the characters.
Yeah, don't associate myself with people who do that. They're giving the character a bad name and I wish they would stop.

That being said, it's probably an extreme overreaction to a wave of Geno bashing that started before E3 last year and continues to this day. It was the same thing with Banjo. They were both massively popular in the fanbase almost unanimously, and then when the possibility started to seem likely a bunch of newer fans took it apon themselves to tear down the Banjo and Geno fanbases with really unsportsmanlike behavior and rubbing the fact that they're neiche in our faces like that was the only thing that mattered. That group of people has largely fizzled out and/or moved on to other areas of toxicity, even if that sentiment still colors a lot of the discussions on the character. And while the damage to the Banjo community was healed when he actually got in, the Geno fanbase hasn't really recovered and now many of them act just as toxic as the people who used to bully them.

It's understandable, but not defend-able.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I get it. I'd rather see Spyro than Crash. I'd pop off seeing Mega Man X(while a popular character outside of Smash, isn't highly speculated for good reason, very few Cameo characters pull double duty) get the Chrom treatment before most other characters. Hell, I'm really rooting for Spring-Man and people sandbag him for being boring. Really, each character does have merit, to some extent. And while I'm not a big Sonic fan like I was when I was a dumb kid, Tails and Knuckles are more iconic than a lot of the current roster, seeing them around would just feel....normal. I want to say the same of Mega Man X and Zero as well, though obviously to a lesser extent.

Though again, nothing wrong appealing to the hardcore Smash crowd at all. Just that I think most new characters should have some secondary appeal too. I think Ridley, Mac and K.Rool are good examples of this. Be it Metroid fans, DKC fans or Punch-Out/Retro fans. In my opinion Ryu Hayabusa would be a great example of bringing a wide array of people into/back into Smash.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, this morning I accidentally went to work still wearing my pajama shirt (thank goodness I don't live too far from work).

What makes this hilarious that today also happens to be National Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day.

1587059692897.png

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The MMX5 Maverick Boss theme hits different when you listen to the X-Challenge version.

Krankees

Smash Ace
You mistook my statement. Jump Force looks like trash. And I have zero interest in playing it. I want THIS game in English.

One of my favorite games, I think an official English patch would be great.
Glad Gintama's in this game at least. I would've been a little bit more interested in Jump Force if they had Gintoki in there.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Guys. After this pass, Sakurai will be only 12 fighters away from a 100 character smash roster! I really wish they were gonna keep going. Add an echo fighter pass and a few bonus fighters and you could EASILY get there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom