• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
This may be unpopular, but I kinda want to see Infinite again. His fate is highly ambiguous in Forces and for that to be all there is to him would feel... wrong. I feel he'd make for a more welcome rival and character used in spinoffs than ****ing Zavok, at least, who they've yet to develop even a morsel of his character.
I’ve been thinking of ways to develop Infinite and fix up his character a bit in my ideas for my Sonic fighting game. I’m thinking of having him be a secondary antagonist to Classic Eggman taking on a Injustice 2 Scarecrow kind of role by playing off characters fears, also using illusions of the Jackal Squad from the tie in comic which would be used in full force when he’s facing Shadow since he’s supposed to be the one who took them down.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well, it's possible.

Infinite was one of the only actually liked things to come out of it (his... laughably pathetic backstory in Episode Shadow notwithstanding).

With the removal of Pontac and Graff from the Writing Staff (who I am convinced were a net negative for the Franchise, whoever thought hiring two people who self-admittedly knew little to nothing about Sonic to write for Sonic is... well, not smart, or actively trying to undermine the series) there's a reasonable chance that if we do get him he'll get more depth to him.

Jesus, when even your meek best friend is giving you lip you know you've fallen pretty far.

Toriyama was always a somewhat conservative writer, which meant that characters like Yamcha and Tien just faded into the background once their stories were done.

I wouldn't expect characters like them to ever really return in a big way (even "That time I reincarnated as Yamcha" was basically miraculous).
Tbh, i don't have much hope for Yamcha & Tien, especially Tien. Yamcha is somewhat popular due to him being such a legendary loser, but Tien? Nah, dude is just a mauve shirt at this point.

Also, hey, nice to see you again! :)

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Tbh, i don't have much hope for Yamcha & Tien, especially Tien, Yamcha is somewhat popular due to him being such a legendary loser, but Tien? Nah, dude is just a mauve shirt at this point.
The irony is that Toriyama could have kept Yamcha and Tien competitive if he really wanted to (e.g. giving them both the Kaioken).

He just didn't want to.

He didn't have to character assassinate Yamcha in the process of getting rid of him, though, that was just mean. It's implied that Bulma and Yamcha were increasingly getting at each other's throats over petty crap anyway, Toriyama could have just said they split for that reason, rather than Yamcha suddenly gaining "infidelity" as a character trait out of nowhere.
Also, hey, nice to see you again!
I'd say "Good to be back." but considering the last time I returned I left again for six months... don't expect me to stick around. XD

I'll try but I can't make any promises.

I actually missed this place but it's easy to get distracted when a thing like Discord exists.

Loudly.

D

Deleted member

This may be unpopular, but I kinda want to see Infinite again. His fate is highly ambiguous in Forces and for that to be all there is to him would feel... wrong. I feel he'd make for a more welcome rival and character used in spinoffs than ****ing Zavok, at least, who they've yet to develop even a morsel of his character.
Let's go one step at a time. I just want a great 3d Sonic game again.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The irony is that Toriyama could have kept Yamcha and Tien competitive if he really wanted to (e.g. giving them both the Kaioken).

He just didn't want to.

He didn't have to character assassinate Yamcha in the process of getting rid of him, though, that was just mean. It's implied that Bulma and Yamcha were increasingly getting at each other's throats over petty crap anyway, Toriyama could have just said they split for that reason, rather than Yamcha suddenly gaining "infidelity" as a character trait out of nowhere.

I'd say "Good to be back." but considering the last time I returned I left again for six months... don't expect me to stick around. XD

I actually missed this place but it's easy to get distracted when a thing like Discord exists.

Loudly.
Still good to see you again in any shape or form, if it's only for a little bit.

Also, to be back on topic, I don't know if he said it before somewhere to confirm what I'm about to say, but Toryiama treatement of Human character post DBZ always felt mean spirited for the most part. Not to say they were all useless, my boy Krilin definitly did quit alot in the Frieza & Sayian saga, but you can tell that the rising of power level made most of them jokes or even stop existing. Still salty that Launch is treated like she doesn't exist in Super.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, it's possible.

Infinite was one of the only actually liked things to come out of it (his... laughably pathetic backstory in Episode Shadow notwithstanding).

With the removal of Pontac and Graff from the Writing Staff (who I am convinced were a net negative for the Franchise, whoever thought hiring two people who self-admittedly knew little to nothing about Sonic to write for Sonic is... well, not smart, or actively trying to undermine the series) there's a reasonable chance that if we do get him he'll get more depth to him.

Jesus, when even your meek best friend is giving you lip you know you've fallen pretty far.

Toriyama was always a somewhat conservative writer, which meant that characters like Yamcha and Tien just faded into the background once their stories were done.

I wouldn't expect characters like them to ever really return in a big way (even "That time I reincarnated as Yamcha" was basically miraculous).
To be fair the writers don't need to know the source material to work with it, Warren Ellis knew nothing of CastleVania before writing the Netflix show and he's gotten Legion, Ice Needle, Leon Belmont, etc. The issue is that the writers need to care beyond a paycheck

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

He just didn't want to.

Loudly.
Oh hey, i'm Ty. I don't think we've met. I started posting regularly here in like. August? But anyway welcome back!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Let's go one step at a time. I just want a great 3d Sonic game again.
Considering Sonic Team are apparently afraid of their own Shadow now (pun most definitely intended) regarding the Adventure style and Physics-based Platforming, even truly 3D Sonic (and not the Pseudo-3D that is the Boost style) will have to be baby steps as well.
Still good to see you again in any shape or form, if it's only for a little bit.

Also, to be back on topic, I don't know if he said it before somewhere to confirm what I'm about to say, but Toryiama treatement of Human character post DBZ always felt mean spirited for the most part. Not to say they were all useless, my boy Krilin definitly did quit alot in the Frieza & Sayian saga, but you can tell that the rising of power level made most of them jokes or even stop existing. Still salty that Launch is treated like she doesn't exist in Super.
The most mean-spirited Toriyama has ever been on the Human Character question is the first half of the Android Arc (the Trunks, 19 & 20 and 17 & 18 stuff).

The biggest example (after Yamcha suddenly being an adulterer when it would have been more believable that Bulma would be the one more likely to engage in that kind of behaviour, just based on how they acted in the previous arcs) being Yamcha and Tien just happening to be the ones who were most suspicious of Trunks, uncharacteristically so, in fact.

I beat the game a few weeks ago (after playing it constantly for like a week straight), had to stop for a while because of Joy-Con Drift.

I forgot to do the Fishing Island so I started on that just today. I only have two of the Isle of Awakening side quests left to do (unfortunately, they're the ones that are the biggest pains in the butt: breed three animals and the highest tier of "sell stuff".

I was building a big house on the Post-Game custom island (forgot it's name) when I stopped playing, should probably get back on that...

---

Speaking of Joy-Con Drift, did you know it's actually possible to fix/mitigate Joy-Con Drift? Joy-Con Drift is caused by moisture or detritus (can be basically anything, usually water from the air or oils from your skin) getting under the analog stick and messing with the contacts, clean the contacts with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-tip and you solve the problem.

I'm not sure if it's possible to actually get to the contacts in order to clean them properly, but jamming the Q-tip under the soft plastic of the Analog Stick is actually sufficient to do the job, though it's mostly a temporary solution.
Oh hey, i'm Ty. I don't think we've met. I started posting regularly here in like. August? But anyway welcome back!
Hi.

I actually recognise the username "DerpingPikachu", but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I think this is an uncommon opinion, but I really enjoyed Frozen 2. The music, in my opinion, is a lot more enjoyable than the first one and good god are the visuals beautiful.

Just felt like saying that, I've been listening to the soundtrack for days now.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, I would also like to see Infinite back again. I know a lot of people are down on him after how Forces and the Team Shadow episode went down, but I did like his abilities and backstory with the Jackal Squad from the comic was interesting. Expanding on what happened with him afterwards would be interesting since as you said there are some loose threads that they could address with that, and personally I would like to see his relationship with the Jackal Squad explored further since it would add a neat dynamic to the character.

As for Zavok, what annoys me the most about the character isn't that he keeps coming back, it's that they have him come back and just do nothing with him. I don't mind someone bringing back an unpopular character since you can make them better with proper development, Ahsoka from Star Wars is a good example of that. Yet for all his returns the only thing I can really give him is some admittedly decent quips in Team Sonic Racing, which pretty much everyone in the cast got anyway. If they're going to keep using him, then actually use him and develop him as right now he just kind of feels like a filler slot.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I was gonna ask how you'd get in, but then I remembered that pole vaulting is now a thing
I use to do the same thing in Minecraft until they added Drowned Zombies.

I still do it sometimes, just because of force of habit.
Imma make it look like a spooky house on thr outside if thst possable and rhen when you have the balls to pole vault inside, its gonna be thr most comfy house ever.
That previous page, it scares me.

Anyway, the New Horizons guide book has over 400 pages and looks pretty snazzy, too. Tagging Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo again.
When I get a good amount of disposable money, I know Imma buy that
beat the game a few weeks ago (after playing it constantly for like a week straight), had to stop for a while because of Joy-Con Drift.

I forgot to do the Fishing Island so I started on that just today. I only have two of the Isle of Awakening side quests left to do (unfortunately, they're the ones that are the biggest pains in the butt: breed three animals and the highest tier of "sell stuff".

I was building a big house on the Post-Game custom island (forgot it's name) when I stopped playing, should probably get back on that...
I played that game for weeks and weeks when I got it then once I got to pist game, I played for weeks and weeks on thr Buildertopias lol

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
To be fair the writers don't need to know the source material to work with it, Warren Ellis knew nothing of CastleVania before writing the Netflix show and he's gotten Legion, Ice Needle, Leon Belmont, etc. The issue is that the writers need to care beyond a paycheck
(Missed this one, sorry, Gwen)
True.

Hiring non-knowledgeable writers is always going to be a dangerous game, with both positives and negatives inherent to it.

Hiring someone who has been a fan of the franchise in question is usually better, but if they're allowed to run away with it it can lead to continuity lockout for newcomers as the fan writer goes... well, to put it simply, mad with power (see: Steven Moffat's run on Doctor Who, which certainly had it's ups and downs).

Pontac and Graff definitely felt like the kinds of writers who only cared up to the paycheck, though; they generally treated the cast as interchangeable character archetypes and not actual "people" with unique personalities, histories and backstories of their own.
Tails became a snarky "Smart Guy" under their helm, and they eventually had him cowering before Chaos, something the Yuji Naka-era Tails would have never done (just compare how Tails reacts to Sonic's death in Adventure 2 compared to how he behaves in Forces).
Knuckles went full ham on the "Dumb Muscle" trope, when Knuckles was never really like that; he was naive/uneducated, not stupid.
Shadow had all nuance regarding his brooding loner and rival character shtick stripped from him.
(To be fair, Tyson Hesse is also guilty of the Knuckles and Shadow stuff)

Amy... well, I don't think any writer outside of Sonic Team has ever respected Amy's actual personality, at least Fleetway had the excuse that the changes made to her were editorial mandate (and some people think that version of Amy was better, though your mileage may vary, the actual writers of the comic didn't like her, mostly because she wasn't allowed to make mistakes and stuff like that, which is incredibly limiting for writers).
Pontac and Graff were especially mis-hired because the second game they were hired to write for was an anniversary title that involves time travel and returning to old locales.

Kind of want someone familiar with the franchise history for stuff like that...
I played that game for weeks and weeks when I got it then once I got to pist game, I played for weeks and weeks on thr Buildertopias lol
Dragon Quest Builders is hella addictive.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of Animal Crossing, I feel like I'm gonna be paralysed with choice when it comes to designing my town, like - 'no this would work best here ... hmm maybe I should go for more this of an aesthetic'
... and then I go and see other people's towns and go 'damn, why isn't my village this impressive'

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have over 1,000 hour clocked in on the game already
*checks play time*

Dragon Quest Builders - Over 165 Hours.

...Well.

Alright then.

Crash Team Racing - Over 640 Hours.
Sounds about right.

DQB is actually my fourth most played game after CTR, Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Smash in that order.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Tbh, I can only see him slightly below Hero tier at best. Even though he has the range and kill power, his frame data is abysmal, and he has no mobility in the slightest.
I still find the absolute funniest thing of the tourney to be Salem's match against Leo going "Salem wins game 1 with Hero, loses game 2/3, Salem swaps off Hero and does incredibly worse." Leading almost everyone to think Salem should have stayed on Hero the whole set rather than go with a more solid secondary (Snake or Shulk) than Samus. I applaud him for trying, but that was not the play.

I think Byleth themselves is alright, but I've had enough just seeing the Competitive section implode on itself at the mere thought of the character being decent rather than attributing it to just Leo being Leo.

Hi everyone, how's it going? I haven't talked here in a while lol
The only perpetual mood on weekdays for me is this image.

Nice avatar, btw.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
(Missed this one, sorry, Gwen)
True.

Hiring non-knowledgeable writers is always going to be a dangerous game, with both positives and negatives inherent to it.

Hiring someone who has been a fan of the franchise in question is usually better, but if they're allowed to run away with it it can lead to continuity lockout for newcomers as the fan writer goes... well, to put it simply, mad with power (see: Steven Moffat's run on Doctor Who, which certainly had it's ups and downs).

Pontac and Graff definitely felt like the kinds of writers who only cared up to the paycheck, though; they generally treated the cast as interchangeable character archetypes and not actual "people" with unique personalities, histories and backstories of their own.
Tails became a snarky "Smart Guy" under their helm, and they eventually had him cowering before Chaos, something the Yuji Naka-era Tails would have never done (just compare how Tails reacts to Sonic's death in Adventure 2 compared to how he behaves in Forces).
Knuckles went full ham on the "Dumb Muscle" trope, when Knuckles was never really like that; he was naive/uneducated, not stupid.
Shadow had all nuance regarding his brooding loner and rival character shtick stripped from him.
(To be fair, Tyson Hesse is also guilty of the Knuckles and Shadow stuff)

Amy... well, I don't think any writer outside of Sonic Team has ever respected Amy's actual personality, at least Fleetway had the excuse that the changes made to her were editorial mandate (and some people think that version of Amy was better, though your mileage may vary, the actual writers of the comic didn't like her, mostly because she wasn't allowed to make mistakes and stuff like that, which is incredibly limiting for writers).
Pontac and Graff were especially mis-hired because the second game they were hired to write for was an anniversary title that involves time travel and returning to old locales.

Kind of want someone familiar with the franchise history for stuff like that...
If I had the opportunity to right for a Sonic game, be it something like the fighting game I have or a new game in general, I don’t wanna just sweep all that under the rug and start anew, I want to work with and fix up what was left by Pontac and Graff and craft their material into something better.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Heyhey!

So I got a question for anyone here who likes Persona.

I'm working on a D&D-esque tabletop gaming system based on the series, and I was looking for people to assist me in building this system. Doing a brainstorming session over Discord tonight! Message me or quote this if you're interested in helping.

KMDP

Smash Legend
KMDP you crusty *****, wassup?

Good to see you’re alive.
I've been good (also, yes, alive).

I'm afraid I can't stick around to really catch up, since I'm about to head off to bed, but I'll try to show up more consistently here (rather than the not at all that has been the norm for the last few months).

D

Deleted member

Alright. It’s been a hot minute since I posted a doodle of mine, so here’s a ludicrously late valentines day drawing. Now with scented markers.
A love story told in zero words, staring two of gaming’s greatest blobs:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Alright. It’s been a hot minute since I posted a doodle of mine, so here’s a ludicrously late valentines day drawing. Now with scented markers.
A love story told in zero words, staring two of gaming’s greatest blobs:
10 out of 10.
Greatest story ever!

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
If you are going to change his expression, you could also try a different pose. And if he's a wolf that is being pet, you should go for a more dog-like pose, maybe sitting down the way they do and a wiggly tail or something. I mean I don't know of that would help to get rid of the other mental image.
I actually did try that, though it does look a bit odd with his proportions. On top of that the character does still maintain more human-like posture. I am doing a wagging tail once I add that, though. Thanks for the feedback!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Hmmmm.... in a hypothetical Diddy Kong Racing remake, if they added a Conker Cup... are there any areas in that game that would work with an E-10 rating?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I actually did try that, though it does look a bit odd with his proportions. On top of that the character does still maintain more human-like posture. I am doing a wagging tail once I add that, though. Thanks for the feedback!
Anytime! :) Good luck finishing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom