• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I like Steven Universe, but honestly the hiatuses have dimmed the light I used to see in it. Right now the only gripping thing is "Steven is depressed and acting irrationally with new powers that never showed up before when he acted irrational so wHaT's ThE dEaL?"

The potential corruption is neat, but I feel like the writing in terms of other characters has fallen to make room for our troubled protag. I guess I shouldn't feel mad because their arcs have passed somewhat, but I still feel like there's more to be done and the story is progressing really quickly as well. Perhaps when Steven goes corrupt we'll get some development from the other characters as they deal with him.

D

Deleted member

Very nice! Also, try finding a Blender Guru tutorial to help you render these. :)
Yeah, hoping to in the near future make some rough draft animations.

Also, I've been trying literally every model I could think of on Modeler's resource, and I think either I don't understand or something is wrong with Blender 2.8.2, all of the models I tried are janked to hell and back.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
THIRD TIME WITHIN THE SPAN OF A MONTH

SNOW

AHHHHHHHHH!

Thankfully, the forecast actually caught it for once, but still

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like Steven Universe, but honestly the hiatuses have dimmed the light I used to see in it. Right now the only gripping thing is "Steven is depressed and acting irrationally with new powers that never showed up before when he acted irrational so wHaT's ThE dEaL?"

The potential corruption is neat, but I feel like the writing in terms of other characters has fallen to make room for our troubled protag. I guess I shouldn't feel mad because their arcs have passed somewhat, but I still feel like there's more to be done and the story is progressing really quickly as well. Perhaps when Steven goes corrupt we'll get some development from the other characters as they deal with him.
Nani? the plot is that Steven is getting corrupted essentially?

Well gee, a plot where the main character becomes corrupted and (maybe) evil along with dragging his friends along for the ride?
I wonder what that reminds me of.... sounds familiar, no?
That's because that's literally the plot of Vanguard Legion-hen lmao. :p

D

Deleted member

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Been busy for most of the afternoon. I went down to my place to do more work taking the dogs with me then had to do some groceries and get my meds as well.

Finally relaxing now.

What's currently up?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
IDK why the format keeps putting my text in spoilers so I'll have to do this the hard way...
Hat N' Clogs Hat N' Clogs
I actually wrote a guide on how to fight :ultyounglink: yesterday:
https://smashboards.com/threads/guide-how-to-beat-young-link.500694/

For a video critique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0WYywHYbo&feature=emb_logo
(You're :ultness: right?) You need to practice spacing your attacks, especially aerials, so they hit. You like to throw out attacks that have no chance of hitting the opponent; these can be wiff punished. Work on basic movement so all your attacks either hit or force an option from the opponent. Ness has good disjoint on aerials like Fair and can pressure opponents if it's spaced. Each attack has proper spacing. Nair is a close range GTFO tool, also use it Out of Shield. Jab and Tilts are also close range moves. Fair/Dash Attack/Dash grab are zone breakers that let you approach. PK Fire at a range that will hit but not too close; it's a mid range tool. Each attack has purpose.

First work on landing attacks then work on following up with another attack. Fair can chain into another Fair for example. After a while you get a flow chart worked into your muscle memory. Be ready to tech chase rolls and pressure the opponent from an advantage state. At 1:07 you did really well.

Also work on your recovery DI. Near the end at 2:46 you could have drifted back in range of the ledge. Try not to overshoot the ledge too.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Been busy for most of the afternoon. I went down to my place to do more work taking the dogs with me then had to do some groceries and get my meds as well.

Finally relaxing now.

What's currently up?
Watching anime (Re Zero cause of course) and checking over coursework for tomorrow where a Canadian sub teaches my class again.
So the chav side of the class will be mocking the accent again cause they aholes.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think you are looking things from a superficial perspective.

The act of Steven helping others wasn't bad, but the way he does is seriously unhealthy. The show made it very obvious that Steven helps people because of his repressed problems and focuses on others to avoid confronting himself.

Steven isn't a hero. He's a character. He's allowed to save the day and not be perfect.
I'm not asking for him to be perfect. It's honestly not the fact that they're diving more into his character that bothers me (even if I think they're doing the wrong thing with it and giving bad implications), it's that they're ONLY doing this with nothing else really interesting happening. I for one need something more when I watch a show then watching a good young man break down until he physically and mentally disfigures himself to find a show entertaining and interesting. This is just sad and disturbing and honestly it feels out of character. They never gave these sort of implications at any point in the story beforehand, to the point that it almost feels like Flanderization.
That’s literally not the lesson though.

Stevens helping is fine, but he has nothing else outside of that. Something we saw time and time again. That’s why Stevens mind State is so bad, he had nothing else. And now everyone around him has physically aged and mentally aged enough to the point where they can help themselves.

That’s why the final conflict will involve them helping him.

While those other options would be neat, setting up something entirely new in 20 episodes would be pretty hard to pull off and probably feel rushed.

Making Steven the final conflict and him coming to a realization rose wasn’t always a bad person, they truly tried to change but they couldn’t handle their own problems. Something Steven is now doing and can connect with rose a lot more on coming to a much better closure with his mother’s actions.

It’s something that makes so much sense.

Besides the show is probably my getting an HBO special or more movies down the line like Adventure time. That’s plus be the better place to explore the gem creator or another alien race imo.
Considering the fact that THIS is what they're doing and insisting that this is the last season despite the fact that the greedy execs at CN would want to milk it for as much money as it's worth, i doubt Sugar and the rest of the Crewniverse even want to do anything more with this franchise. It just feels like they're done with it, which is why they refuse to set up anything new.

Other shows have done more with the same concepts as what I highlighted in way less time. They don't need 5 seasons worth of buildup to set up and defeat a new villain. For responses to the rest of your post, see above.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm not asking for him to be perfect. It's honestly not the fact that they're diving more into his character that bothers me (even if I think they're doing the wrong thing with it and giving bad implications), it's that they're ONLY doing this with nothing else really interesting happening. I for one need something more when I watch a show then watching a good young man break down until he physically and mentally disfigures himself to find a show entertaining and interesting. This is just sad and disturbing and honestly it feels out of character. They never gave these sort of implications at any point in the story beforehand, to the point that it almost feels like Flanderization.

Considering the fact that THIS is what they're doing and insisting that this is the last season despite the fact that the greedy execs at CN would want to milk it for as much money as it's worth, i doubt Sugar and the rest of the Crewniverse even want to do anything more with this franchise. It just feels like they're done with it, which is why they refuse to set up anything new.

Other shows have done more with the same concepts as what I highlighted in way less time. They don't need 5 seasons worth of buildup to set up and defeat a new villain. For responses to the rest of your post, see above.
-Adventure time finale advertised as the end to hell and back with a big ass marathon.

-6 months later it’s coming to HBO.

Su being hyped to hell and back, biggest cash cow they have, it’s getting something. All official products for the movie list it as steven’s first movie adventure.

Note the word first. If only one was planned they would have just said movie, not first. Rebecca already mentioned how she always has stories with Steven and even has planned potential spinoffs.

The odds of more content especially if it gets hbo max subscriptions is very high a few months from now. They don’t need to set anything up, because any successor can do just that. Adventure time’s last season had an entire arc that wrapped up everything in the show and concluded with the finale.

Now it has 4 hours of completely new stories coming.

Literally nothing stops Steven Universe from doing the same. Hell the fact it got a movie to begin with over adventure time should tell you something

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
-Adventure time finale advertised as the end to hell and back with a big ass marathon.

-6 months later it’s coming to HBO.

Su being hyped to hell and back, biggest cash cow they have, it’s getting something. All official products for the movie list it as steven’s first movie adventure.

Note the word first. If only one was planned they would have just said movie, not first. Rebecca already mentioned how she always has stories with Steven and even has planned potential spinoffs.

The odds of more content especially if it gets hbo max subscriptions is very high a few months from now. They don’t need to set anything up, because any successor can do just that. Adventure time’s last season had an entire arc that wrapped up everything in the show and concluded with the finale.

Now it has 4 hours of completely new stories coming.

Literally nothing stops Steven Universe from doing the same. Hell the fact it got a movie to begin with over adventure time should tell you something
Nothing is stopping it, except the crew not wanting to do it. And I honestly don't think they do. If they did they wouldn't be doing this with the story. Believe me, I want to see more. But I'm almost certain more isn't coming. I know when a cartoon is licked.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Also I can’t believe they did this. Press f to pay respects:
No. They. Didn't. I am really tempted to flip this show the bird, but I feel like I need to at least give it the benefit of the doubt.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played Animal Crossing in so long, my town has probably so much weed by now that it would make even Snoop Dogg blush. Having said that, New Horizons looks so damn good.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Nothing is stopping it, except the crew not wanting to do it. And I honestly don't think they do. If they did they wouldn't be doing this with the story.
You really don’t understand how animation works do you?

The crew can and will tell whatever story they want. If anything the currently story should back up your so called idea. Not giving us any of those things leave the perfect opportunity for continuations. Rebecca Sugar is absolutely down time always do more like I literally just said. I’m sure the crew would stick to it to, they love their jobs and it’s a stable income if they stay. I don’t think anyone would decline coming back.

The crew came into future with a story they wanted to tell. If they got a new special deal, they would go back to their outlines and think of the next story they wanted to tell. It’s that simple. Nothing proves they won’t do it, just like nothing proves they definitely will. But there’s more evidence and logic to dictate they would do it.

I really don’t understand why you choose to just be the most negative on something and never see logical outcomes in a situation

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You really don’t understand how animation works do you?

The crew can and will tell whatever story they want. If anything the currently story should back up your so called idea. Not giving us any of those things leave the perfect opportunity for continuations. Rebecca Sugar is absolutely down time always do more like I literally just said. I’m sure the crew would stick to it to, they love their jobs and it’s a stable income if they stay. I don’t think anyone would decline coming back.

The crew came into future with a story they wanted to tell. If they got a new special deal, they would go back to their outlines and think of the next story they wanted to tell. It’s that simple. Nothing proves they won’t do it, just like nothing proves they definitely will. But there’s more evidence and logic to dictate they would do it.

I really don’t understand why you choose to just be the most negative on something and never see logical outcomes in a situation
Maybe because I've had false hope about this before. Especially with CN shows. Life has taught me that, between the thing you want and the thing that would most disappoint you, 9 times out of 10 the universe has the latter in store for you.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I'm having trouble, I can't decide if I should make a male character or a female character next month. Usually in games I make a female character (Pokemon, RPGs, fighting games, etc), but I'm conflicted because with Animal Crossing it's a lot more like your character is YOU.

What a predicament.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
No. They. Didn't. I am really tempted to flip this show the bird, but I feel like I need to at least give it the benefit of the doubt.
Oh they definitely did. The entire point of this series to show how Steven is being left behind because he doesn’t have his future outlined. On top of making his emotional state go down as much as possible. So this seemed likely weather you agree with it or not.

Still I can’t believe they actually went there damn. Well the spoilers give us a good idea of the endgame anyway so.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Zinith Zinith seems like your new favorite villager is getting a lot of love.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh they definitely did. The entire point of this series to show how Steven is being left behind because he doesn’t have his future outlined. On top of making his emotional state go down as much as possible. So this seemed likely weather you agree with it or not.

Still I can’t believe they actually went there damn. Well the spoilers give us a good idea of the endgame anyway so.
This feels like I'm watching the origin story of a supervillain more then anything else. I don't know why people find this idea entertaining. It looks like they're not gonna stop until Steven takes a life or something.

Oh jeese, they're not gonna kill him off are they?

D

Deleted member

^ I'm not gonna say anything, not gonna say anything....

On a more serious note, I got things to do, places to be, see ya'll later!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This feels like I'm watching the origin story of a supervillain more then anything else. I don't know why people find this idea entertaining. It looks like they're not gonna stop until Steven takes a life or something.

Oh jeese, they're not gonna kill him off are they?
I already told you how obvious the endgame is.

steven will feel isolated from everyone. It gets worse and worse when he won’t open up.

Steven gets so bad he becomes the giant monster( maybe because of a jasper fusion, everyone friends and gems has to come together to help him.

They probably sing the corruption song with a change, the power of love and friendship reaches Steven, and the day is saved. He finally opens realizes it’s ok to be unsure about his future, leaves beach city to see the world. I would bet almost al of this happens. They definitely aren’t killing him and he isn’t taking lives( although he probably burns little home world to the ground.)

It is a sort of super villain story but he becomes a monster instead. Seeing the spiral and how this all happens and the messages that go with it are why the idea is so well like by people

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I already told you how obvious the endgame is.

steven will feel isolated from everyone. It gets worse and worse when he won’t open up.

Steven gets so bad he becomes the giant monster( maybe because of a jasper fusion, everyone friends and gems has to come together to help him.

They probably sing the corruption song with a change, the power of love and friendship reaches Steven, and the day is saved. He finally opens realizes it’s ok to be unsure about his future, leaves beach city to see the world. I would bet almost al of this happens. They definitely aren’t killing him and he isn’t taking lives( although he probably burns little home world to the ground.)

It is a sort of super villain story but he becomes a monster instead. Seeing the spiral and how this all happens and the messages that go with it are why the idea is so well like by people
I don't think it's that obvious. And even if it is, I still don't understand why anyone would want to see it happen or think this would be a fun thing to watch.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don't think it's that obvious. And even if it is, I still don't understand why anyone would want to see it happen or think this would be a fun thing to watch.
Even if we don’t fully agree with how it’s handled here, but there is merit in seeing heroes and protagonists experience great adversity and being pushed to their limits so it’s more satisfying to see them get back up and grow stronger, gives the viewers reason to believe in them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if ee don’t fully agree with how it’s handled here, but there is merit in seeing heroes and protagonists experience great adversity and being pushed to their limits so it’s more satisfying to see them get back up and grow stronger, gives the viewers reason to believe in them.
Honestly, that's my favorite kind of plot.

Protagonist gets beat to the dust and has to adapt? That's the kinda story I love.

Hell, I can think of at least 5 shows that have done this off the top of my head:

One Piece
Vanguard
Buddyfight(Hundred specifically)
MTG(technically true because of the sick L O R E)
One Punch Man(maybe? I mean the premise counts, no?)

Goddamnit it I can only think of 4 off the top of my head lmao

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Honestly, that's my favorite kind of plot.

Protagonist gets beat to the dust and has to adapt? That's the kinda story I love.

Hell, I can think of at least 5 shows that have done this off the top of my head:

One Piece
Vanguard
Buddyfight(Hundred specifically)
MTG(technically true because of the sick L O R E)
One Punch Man(maybe? I mean the premise counts, no?)

Goddamnit it I can only think of 4 off the top of my head lmao
You need to expand your horizons.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Guys this could get the bury but need some anime recommendations again.
Maybe animated in general as well, need to expand beyond anime.

Need something like Re Zero with a good male and female equal lead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom