• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Like, I don't like the idea of scrapping pokemon forgood. I get it's a ****ton of dev time but the implications are nasty.
I dunno I think it’s more like this:

Okay let’s say you have a Stunky in Pokémon Diamond. You put it in Pokémon Home, but Stunky isn’t in Sword and Shield, so you can’t transfer Stunky there.

However, Diamond and Pearl remakes come out, and Stunky’s in that game. So you can grab the Stunky from home and send it there.

So not erased, just in limbo until a compatible game comes out.

Still not great but, y’know...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I feel like things will be different this time.Nintendo and Sakurai have clearly shown they’ve stepped up on marketing.

Hell its obvious they really want to make this dlc different from base game by giving characters cgi trailers. That shows they clearly upped the budget and want to show how proud they are of the characters they have for dlc.

So ending in two big characters with no salt is possible imo
Crash and Dark Souls. I’m gonna keep hammering that in.

Shroob

Sup?

Okay let’s say you have a Stunky in Pokémon Diamond. You put it in Pokémon Home, but Stunky isn’t in Sword and Shield, so you can’t transfer Stunky there.

However, Diamond and Pearl remakes come out, and Stunky’s in that game. So you can grab the Stunky from home and send it there.

I mean the way that article was worded sounded a lot like "time for a pruning." To me.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
It's not though. Even when people get the character "they want", some people are still bitter. SEE: Banjo

You know something that really bothers me? Some of the logos used in the Smash website. Like, why is it NES Kid Icarus and not Uprising? Why is it specifically Bayonetta 2 and Dragon Quest 11, and to a lesser extent Persona 5, andcto an even lesser extent Final Fantasy. Why can’t it just be Bayonetta on its own, along with Dragon Quest, Persona, and Final Fantasy.

In the grand scheme of things this matters not at all. But if still bugs me. It’s the Bayonetta series. Not the Bayonetta 2 series. The only thing that could even apply to is FFVII.
Same. Not a big deal by any means, but the completionist in me is like, "Why not just list it as a whole series like all the other characters?"

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I feel like things will be different this time.Nintendo and Sakurai have clearly shown they’ve stepped up on marketing.

Hell its obvious they really want to make this dlc different from base game by giving characters cgi trailers. That shows they clearly upped the budget and want to show how proud they are of the characters they have for dlc.

Tbh, I kinda thought if they were to end on a big character reveals/no major salt overall... the Hero and Banjo would've been perfect for that.

But they're characters #2 and #3, not #4 and #5.

How exactly do you follow up pretty much the biggest Japanese franchises not in Smash (pre-E3) and one the biggest 3rd party requests period?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It's not though. Even when people get the character "they want", some people are still bitter. SEE: Banjo

Same. Not a big deal by any means, but the completionist in me is like, "Why not just list it as a whole series like all the other characters?"
Let’s be honest though. Most of the upset Steve fans that were being very vocal were the very abonoxious Steve **** posters in 4chan.

So no I dont really count that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Yeah. It doesn’t really matter. It just irks me.
I’d be pretty ok with those choices. They are definitely big names that would generate hype so I think people would be happy.
Hey. I got Dragon Quest and Banjo correct. That means you all have to treat me with credibility.

Shroob

Sup?
What are you even talking about? They used that exact design in uprising and all the characters from uprising are in the game. There’s even a version of the uprising logo without the subtitle that they used in the ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER FOR SMASH4!
?????? You mean the icon they use to represent their franchise or what?

Bayonetta is 2 since 2 is the game Nintendo co owns

Potato_

Smash Lord
Okay masuda, you really shouldn't have said that.
Are you referring to him saying every game from now on is gonna be like SWSH in regards to the dex?

Cause yeah... that's definitely not gonna stop people's fears that they won't patch in Pokemon later.

At this point I really believe it’s gonna be addressed.

The game will probably come out as is, but down the road I think they’ll release patches or something so every Pokémon is compatible.

Gamefreak can be lazy, but their not malicious about what they do. They’re not sitting in a room going “Alright boys, how’re we gonna **** over the fans tonight?” I believe that when they see that this truly upsets this many people they’ll try and fix it.
I mean they're 100% gonna have to say something. I've been a Pokemon fan for basically my whole life and I haven't seen this big of a deal made over a mechanic ever.

I feel like there's something they're not telling us in regards to why they made this decision. I don't think it's laziness (and trust me I've been very critical of Gamefreak in the past) because they must've anticipated a reaction somewhat like this. I also don't think it's "balance reasons" either, considering every time they add a new gen a good 40% of the Pokemon are clearly fodder not meant to be used seriously in competitive. I don't think it's "animation quality" either considering the animations largely look the same as Gen 7 (not an expert though obviously).

So what is it really? The cynic in me says they wanted to gauge community reaction to it and if it wasn't too bad they'd keep the decision to cut down on dev time, but everything else says it isn't that.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
What are you even talking about? They used that exact design in uprising and all the characters from uprising are in the game. There’s even a version of the uprising logo without the subtitle that they used in the ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER FOR SMASH4!
The design in uprising comes from Smash. They probably just use the retro logo because it was the first one for the series.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Check what captain swampy posted. Masuda said going forward they wouldn't be able to support so many mons anymore and that sword shield was the time to pull the trigger.
Pokémon games have slots now

Gonna be debates on if your favorite gets in like veteran debates in past Smashes

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Check what captain swampy posted. Masuda said going forward they wouldn't be able to support so many mons anymore and that sword shield was the time to pull the trigger.
Hoo boy... it's gonna get interesting from this point on.

It's still gonna sell, but they are gonna lose quite a few people if the Pokemon in the game don't satisfy them.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Tbh, I kinda thought if they were to end on a big character reveals/no major salt overall... the Hero and Banjo would've been perfect for that.

But they're characters #2 and #3, not #4 and #5.

How exactly do you follow up pretty much the biggest Japanese franchises not in Smash (pre-E3) and one the biggest 3rd party requests period?
I could think of several,

Any resident Evil character, Crash, Dark Souls, Phoenix Wright, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, etc.

And if you want to take the approach that no one is confirmed currently(after all grant kirkhope denied any involvement in smash when asked and yet he was clearly lying to bring hype), then there’s two more I can think of,

Sora, and Dante. There’s probably more in that boat but I can’t remember off the top of my head. Although these ones are still likely not happening. There’s definitely options.

There’s also always a chance we could get blown away but something we didn’t even know we wanted. Sakurai has done pretty well so far, I’m sure they have good aces up their sleeves still.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Alrighty, getting late here, think I go for now.

Hope you all have a good time here, I surely had a good one with my family tonight.:ultdiddy:

But enough talking, I gotta catch that hedgedog in my dream so that I can win the race! So, good night folks!

Sonic3eggmanpanic.png

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'll actually be very disappointed if the Gengar line isn't in Sword/Shield.

Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar sad3.gif

Not gonna keep me from enjoying the game, though.

Pikachu is of course going to be in every game so luckily I don't have to worry about him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So before I leave for the night, I wanna shill for just one moment.

My abridged series for Gundam Wing takes a lot of effort and I sacrifice a fair amount of money and free time to making it. It's why I wasn't present much this last week (and why we took a short break from AMAs, between that and E3). While I don't want to spam about it, I'm pretty proud of this latest episode we released on Monday and I wanna share it this one time with anyone who might be interested in internet comedies based on 1995 animes with teenagers in giant killer robots.

If you wanna watch it, that's great. If not, that's great too. But if you quote this post, please delete the embed to be nice to mobile users. 'Kay thanks.
I highly suggest everyone watch and least the first 7 mins. Staindgrey and his crew put a lot of effort into these, and I’m sure they’d appreciate it. That, and it’s just funny, honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yeah but you need to keep paying them until they decide they can get out of limbo as Home isn't free

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I could think of several,

Any resident Evil character, Crash, Dark Souls, Phoenix Wright, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, etc.

And if you want to take the approach that no one is confirmed currently(after all grant kirkhope denied any involvement in smash when asked and yet he was clearly lying to bring hype), then there’s two more I can think of,

Sora, and Dante. There’s probably more in that boat but I can’t remember off the top of my head. Although these ones are still likely not happening. There’s definitely options.

There’s also always a chance we could get blown away but something we didn’t even know we wanted. Sakurai has done pretty well so far, I’m sure they have good aces up their sleeves still.
I'm cautiously optimistic.

I have a feeling Banjo got in mainly due to fan demand/the ballot. Not sure how many other 3rd party characters have as much general support as Banjo did.

If Mii costume theory holds up, then I don't think we're getting 2 reps from the same company.

It also gives Capcom and Namco a slight edge, but the possibility of one or both not getting a DLC character is still there.

While Western 3rd parties are on the table now, not sure if they would add more. Banjo still feels like they're a weird case b/c they were Nintendo property at one point.

So idk... anything can happen I suppose, but I just don't see too many characters that would top either Hero or Banjo for any specific national or worldwide market.

That's my opinion though.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Another possibility I see happening is there is a second pass. If there is I be we get Rex Or eldegard as a stand alone character between passes

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Since the TurboGrafx-16 Mini was announced by Konami, I hope Samurai Ghost and Genpei Tōma Den (The Genji and the Heike Clans) are on it, both are hidden gems in my opinion and Genpei Tōma Den hasn’t seen the light of day in the West since Namco Museum Vol. 4 and it’s kinda sad really. :ohwell:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pokémon games have slots now

Gonna be debates on if your favorite gets in like veteran debates in past Smashes
15 reasons why Arbok should be in Sword and Shield instead of Seviper

I think Wigglytuff is too iconic to cut.

Honestly I think Garbodor replaces Muk well. Both share, like, a type and stuff.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Many of the 3rd parties have a logo based upon what game they based upon when coming in.

Luminary is the face, so it makes sense Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition is used.

Pit actually was somewhat remade for Brawl based upon his NES appearance. Uprising didn't exist yet.

Cloud is hard based upon FFVII.

The franchise banner and the actual series logo are two different things Franchise banner is "first appearance in Smash and what game they're based upon". Logo is pretty much just a catch-all. I think Snake's is the only logo to change too.

Bayonetta 2 could be the sole exception here, and that one has some publishing rights strictly to Nintendo, so that makes sense. Though I think it released before Bayonetta was in?

D

Deleted member

Another possibility I see happening is there is a second pass. If there is I be we get Rex Or eldegard as a stand alone character between passes
It’s possible, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom