• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Well. They might have not quite understood Ben 10. But I’m glad they did a great job with Static here. Milestone definitely needs more love.
No. They understood Ben 10; people just don't care to listen.

Though I can't blame them. DC is pretty much expected to win in every match they come up in so I understand the ire, if a bit irrational.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Good morning :p

Actually now that I think about it I don't recall ever meeting you, unless you're @GothFluttershy in disguise.
Nnope :v I've been here for a while just not as active as I was. I've been using the name Arrow of Light, or Fluttershy of Light, or Cadance of Light. I've been jumping around a lot :'v
The more accurate question is... "who are YOU?!"
But seriously, hiya. What's been going on with you? Which games?
I don't know who am I :dazwa:.
That Star Wars game that came out (the graphics look off..) pokemon Sword, another RPG game that I can't remember the name of, Super Mario maker 2, smash.. And a few mobile games

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't check out Death Battle too often anymore, IDK just lost interest after awhile.
I still think it’s fun. Even if I feel like they do too many comic book and anime matches. Like, they’ve been clear that they do a lot of those be they get a lot of views, but it feels like they’re picking the DC, Marvel, and Shonen Jump catalogues bone dry.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
generic background music
take that back

I don't care if that's not your thing, but to call the tracks in rivals generic is severely cutting it short.
practically every song is a banger.
https://youtu.be/NWwA9fLDauQ
https://youtu.be/vqmzN-FCafs
https://youtu.be/iVpM8tn1gn4
https://youtu.be/5eSaNfbToRA

The arrangements of Luna Acension / Shovel Knight Medley are fantastic too, even though they are arrangements of preexisting compositions (though flashygoodness did compose tower of heaven too).

- - - -
But please, be more open minded like jeez.
Rivals is a different beast from Smash all together in gameplay. No ledges, no grabbing, no shielding. I would argue it's pretty much what the Melee scene is trying to be.
The fighters also all have pretty big stage manipulation mechanics in their toolkit, to call it a mere knockoff really shows that you haven't put the time into taking a real look at it.

I highly recommend you try it out, it's actually very fun to play. And while the earlier characters are mostly blank slates, the characters added for the DLC are given a lot more love in character building department (Elliana is pretty great).

And I mean if going through all that still doesnt sell you just buy the steam version so you can have Ronald McDonald fight against Reimu on melee final destination

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Wasn't the only thing I posted about.

Doesn't matter anyways. I need to find something new to play.
Pokemon talk doesn't interest me and I didn't have much to add about your RoA comment since I've never played it.

What kinda games are you in the mood for?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Got an update on my best friend earlier today.

It's been super stressful for me, but thankfully good news: while he's still in the mental hospital, his mental health is improving. He's expected to be released and go back to his life late this week.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
One more day until the end of the Fighters Pass Vol. 1!
And we’re probably not getting a direct unless they surprise us with an announcement sometime today (and it’s way past time for them to do that, it usually happens by now). So, probably February till we know.... hey, forget Fighter 5, till we know ANY of Nintendo’s Q1 announcements.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And we’re probably not getting a direct unless they surprise us with an announcement sometime today (and it’s way past time for them to do that, it usually happens by now). So, probably February till we know.... hey, forget Fighter 5, till we know ANY of Nintendo’s Q1 announcements.
Earliest were seeing is probably March/April tbh. Still having a feeling its E3 though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Earliest were seeing is probably March/April tbh. Still having a feeling its E3 though.
I do not believe that even for a second. Maybe we won’t see Fighter 6 till then. I can buy that. But there’s gotta be a Quarter 1 direct. No way they’re gonna go till June without announcing anything at all. Independent of when we get the next smash reveal.

D

Deleted member

GOD IM ****ING BORED LMAO

Maybe I'll play some Terraria for now. Get back to that project I was working on.
Same here, super bored.

Doesn't help that I have things i'm gonna need to return later today, and it's my first time.

Alright well it looks like I'm being ignored today. That's k. Have a good day folks.
Now you know how I feel half of the time :dazwa:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do not believe that even for a second. Maybe we won’t see Fighter 6 till then. I can buy that. But there’s gotta be a Quarter 1 direct. No way they’re gonna go till June without announcing anything at all. Independent of when we get the next smash reveal.
Just remember the gap between:ultjoker:and:ulthero:/:ultbanjokazooie:

D

Deleted member

Nnope :v I've been here for a while just not as active as I was. I've been using the name Arrow of Light, or Fluttershy of Light, or Cadance of Light. I've been jumping around a lot :'v
I was making a joke, I really shoulda put an emote or something there so it was more clear :v

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Byleth, sweetie, I applaud your creativity but I don’t think that’s going to end as well as you think it will...
Reminds me of this old gem.

The ultimate Wyvern Killer.
y'all do realize it's okay for people to have opinions, right?
At the same time when someone insults something other people like, they'll feel inclined to defend it.

There are ways for people to state their opinions and ways for them not to.

D

Deleted member

After all the snow I shoveled today I wish I could sleep the rest of the day.
I'm just hoping my mom doesn't realize when I go to return the item I bought yesterday that I also bought a pack :dazwa:
Knowing her, she will, but the question is will she ask me and/or punish me?

oh yeah also pretty sure some cards should get here today so hoping that's the case too

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I wouldn't call the characters ROA made "abominations" if anything they're unique enough that I like em.

Alright, I really don't think half of the stuff you say here is accurate. Let me look at these one-by-one:

"I'm not saying they have to be competitors, I'm saying why should I play a mechanically inferior one, with characters I don't like, on stages that are bland, with generic background music?"
I see you're point in the first half(the underlined part) but to call the stages and music bland isn't really accurate.
Sure, the ost and design gets stale after awhile, but that's not that big of a deal considering this is a indie game, not a AAA game studio that can afford entire orchestras and hire people to design for them.

"Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla are fine? They work? But when you compare them to their inspiration, they have nothing on it? It's literally the "we have Smash Bros at home" meme made into a game."
This is not true at all. ROA takes the classic Smash style gameplay and expands upon it via the combo system and stage design. The basic summary is that every stage has the same general layout(a solid platform with drop-offs on the side and a few platforms), just different things affecting and changing that layout. I don't remember how the combo system works off the top of my head, unfortunatly.

It's completely different to a game like, say, Bloodstained, where it's filling a void left by a dead franchise.
That doesn't mean that the game is quality thou? A game filling the void left by another /=/ good.

I.E., in my eyes, Rivals has no reason to exist. It's a cheap knockoff of a far better game.
So, assuming I'm getting this right, you hate ROE because it takes Smash's design, adds its own characters, and then expands on it, with no prior series or place to start from?
That's not very sound logic. And knockoff is a bit disingenuous, at the very least it innovates on the fighting genre, if by a little bit.

Regarding the "OC" issue, the main reason I love Smash in the first place is the characters that I already know and live interacting with each other. That doesn't exist when everyone already exists in this universe exclusively. The guest characters are cool, but they're only 2 out of 14, meaning I actively like two out of fourteen characters.

Alright, again, I see you're point in the first half(the part I underlined) but in order to forge that connection, you need to know the characters already.
"Why should I care about the OCs?"
So, if you care about the OC's, you can forge that connection and come to enjoy them. Everyone's journey starts somewhere, so at some point, you would have no knowledge of the Smash characters you love, and didn't have that connection. Learning about new things is just the way to start that chain of events to learn to like them.
Being an indie game doesn't give it an excuse to have bland music. Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bloodstained, A Hat in Time, Pizza Tower, and more all prove you can have wonderful music as an indie.

Just because a game's filling a void doesn't make it good? Well obviously, but Rivals of Aether doesn't need to fill a void anyway, because there's already a superior option available.

And I don't hate Rivals, I just find no point in it, because there's a better option available.

And frankly, I find the designs of the characters bland at best and offputting at worst (a killer whale with legs? That's just creepy.).

take that back

I don't care if that's not your thing, but to call the tracks in rivals generic is severely cutting it short.
practically every song is a banger.
https://youtu.be/NWwA9fLDauQ
https://youtu.be/vqmzN-FCafs
https://youtu.be/iVpM8tn1gn4
https://youtu.be/5eSaNfbToRA

The arrangements of Luna Acension / Shovel Knight Medley are fantastic too, even though they are arrangements of preexisting compositions (though flashygoodness did compose tower of heaven too).

- - - -
But please, be more open minded like jeez.
Rivals is a different beast from Smash all together in gameplay. No ledges, no grabbing, no shielding. I would argue it's pretty much what the Melee scene is trying to be.
The fighters also all have pretty big stage manipulation mechanics in their toolkit, to call it a mere knockoff really shows that you haven't put the time into taking a real look at it.

I highly recommend you try it out, it's actually very fun to play. And while the earlier characters are mostly blank slates, the characters added for the DLC are given a lot more love in character building department (Elliana is pretty great).

And I mean if going through all that still doesnt sell you just buy the steam version so you can have Ronald McDonald fight against Reimu on melee final destination
I actually have the Steam version of the game, believe it or not. Mods actually make my opinion on it worse.

I dislike the fact there's no shielding, or grabbing. It removes some of the strategy of Smash without a replacement mechanic that meshes well. Stage manipulation is cool, but it doesn't add the same strategy of depth.

But the important thing here is this is just my opinion, you are free to enjoy it to your heart's content. I just don't see a reason to play it when I don't like the things it changed, and it doesn't have the things I like about the thing it's copying.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! or F

Yo, VO Bros.

Let’s assume I hypothetically wanted to start a YouTube channel where I ramble about video games or something, and let’s also assume I hypothetically just got enough cash to afford a decent mic. What kinda mic should I go for?
I use a Blue Snowball. It’s one of the cheapest mics you can find with good audio quality. I’ll send you a few examples of my recording with that microphone as an example later. If you are going to get one, though, I also suggest purchasing a pop filter. You can find some good ones for a cheap price.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, you've heard my recordings for Fritz. You know what it sounds like.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just remember the gap between:ultjoker:and:ulthero:/:ultbanjokazooie:
JESUS CHRIST! Are you even reading my words? I’m not just talking about them announcing Fighter 6! They don’t HAVE to announce a fighter at a direct. I want a direct to see things like Bayonetta 3 or weather or not all these rumors about Pikmin and Metroid are true. There’s more to Nintendo directs then just smash. They can get away with not showing fighter 6 till E3. But they NEED to give us a direct for the other things.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
JESUS CHRIST! Are you even reading my words? I’m not just talking about them announcing Fighter 6! They don’t HAVE to announce a fighter at a direct. I want a direct to see things like Bayonetta 3 or weather or not all these rumors about Pikmin and Metroid are true. There’s more to Nintendo directs then just smash. They can get away with not showing fighter 6 till E3. But they NEED to give us a direct for the other things.
I apologize. I didn't read your post carefully I thought it was regarding FP6.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, I know this forum is centered around Smash and it's totally understandable for most discussions to revolve around Smash, but some of us actually want Nintendo Directs for more than just news on the latest character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom