• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well that's subjective and all given personal opinion but yeah I believe Banjo can't be topped. It's something the fanbase has wanted since the days of Melee like Ridley & K.Rool. Ultimate truly is fanservice incarnate.

As for who I think the last two are, my bet is a 1st party character and Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil. I feel RE is very likely to be on the pass although I have less confidence in a 1st party character.

I also believe Kasumi will be added as a free Echo Fighter for those who purchased Joker and Jill Valentine will be an Echo Fighter for Leon Kennedy.
Only one I can see arguably matching Banjo actually is Geno now that I think about it. Otherwise yeah I can't see anyone else matching the hype and reveal of Banjo.

D

Deleted member

Now I just realized that not counting the alt skins, the Luminary (default Hero skin) is the most recent character in the game with him debuting in 2017.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Who I'd like to see for the last 2 spots:
Shantae and Rayman (edit: Spyro too. Also Glover and Bonk, but they're never happening)

Who I'd like to see from Namco and Capcom (as in, more likely):
Agumon and Phoenix Wright or Morrigan or Leon with a Jill alt.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Who I'd like to see for the last 2 spots:
Shantae and Rayman

Who I'd like to see from Namco and Capcom (as in, more likely):
Agumon and Phoenix Wright or Morrigan or Leon with a Jill alt.
Coincidentally, Shantae and Rayman are in my new hypothetical 2nd Fighter Pass predictions in my sig

As for me... my dream last two are Elma and a Bandai Namco character. Either KOS-MOS or a Tales character would do the trick.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
if we get a namco rep i'd love nightmare

my best possible scenario would be kos-mos but my lungs are too small to hold my breath that long

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Reveals are not the same as no news.
He said there was no news.
And statistically, with E3 being a strong likelihood for two characters, there was only room for one character reveal beforehand.

We had reveals in December.
PP in Feb.
Joker in April.
And now two.

I think the phrase 'information drought' is an emotional way to communicate what isnt true. We went a long time without a reveal, yes- thats what happens when we have 14 months for five characters, with one event in the year nearly requiring multiple reveals.

And to a further point, the inital comments to which I was responding posed that there could be no more speculation, as if we did not still have at least two more reveals.

It just isnt logical.
Honestly people get antsy whenever something new isn’t revealed for 2+ months.

PP and Joker releasing distracted people for a few days, but in the end, they just wanna know who else is in.

If you look at this board throughout 2019, you can see that even with new characters releasing, a lot of people are still stressing over DLC leaks.

That’s just the way it’s gonna be until we know that’s all the characters we’re getting for this game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Only one I can see arguably matching Banjo actually is Geno now that I think about it. Otherwise yeah I can't see anyone else matching the hype and reveal of Banjo.
Well TBH i'm not really interested in Geno so yeah it is a really subjective thing lol.

No disrespect to the Geno fans out there and all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly people get antsy whenever something new isn’t revealed for 2+ months.

PP and Joker releasing distracted people for a few days, but in the end, they just wanna know who else is in.

If you look at this board throughout 2019, you can see that even with new characters releasing, a lot of people are still stressing over DLC leaks.

That’s just the way it’s gonna be until we know that’s all the characters we’re getting for this game.
And when we get them all, people will be antsy for e3 to know if there is a new fighters pass.

But those are feelings. Emotion. That doesnt reflect logic, which shows us that it there has not been an 'information drought.'

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I await whatever leaks could spring up next eventually and speculation for who could be next as the final two DLC characters.

Of course less eagerly now that I have all that I want. :)

When do you guys suppose leaks and speculation will begin springing up again?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So how does Banjo's reveal to Smash affect Steve's and Master Chief's chances?

How does Hero's chances affect any other Square Enix rep's chances?

Do any of those characters still have a shot? What do you all think?
I don't think any one company (sans Nintendo) could ever have multiple character per Fight Pass, excluding Alt characters (see: Hero) and Echo Fighters (see: Simon + Richter) aside.

So I think Steve is probably done for good. Steve is a moderately popular character while his series is absolutely gigantic, but he's not much of a character. I think the Steve dealio is done.

Master Chief will remain one of the most wanted characters if there is DLC post the Fight Pass. His odds look better if we get Master Chief Collection on the Switch too (or even Master Chief Mii Fighter outfit gear).

For Square Enix... I think it's Sora or bust from here (Echo Fighters/clones aside). We got the biggest Square character and basically all of the Enix big characters, and Sora is the biggest post-merger character by a mile from Square Enix's 3rd biggest IP. It could be legal hell or it could not. But it would be next. As for Sora's odds... I don't know. But the Sora demand is going to be sky high.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
And when we get them all, people will be antsy for e3 to know if there is a new fighters pass.

But those are feelings. Emotion. That doesnt reflect logic, which shows us that it there has not been an 'information drought.'
That’s true.

But a lot of people take a more emotional approach to speculation than a logical one, so even when we do get a decent string of new info, most just look at reveals as the true news.

That’s just the way it is.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think any one company (sans Nintendo) could ever have multiple character per Fight Pass, excluding Alt characters (see: Hero) and Echo Fighters (see: Simon + Richter) aside.

So I think Steve is probably done for good. Steve is a moderately popular character while his series is absolutely gigantic, but he's not much of a character. I think the Steve dealio is done.

Master Chief will remain one of the most wanted characters if there is DLC post the Fight Pass. His odds look better if we get Master Chief Collection on the Switch too (or even Master Chief Mii Fighter outfit gear).

For Square Enix... I think it's Sora or bust from here (Echo Fighters/clones aside). We got the biggest Square character and basically all of the Enix big characters, and Sora is the biggest post-merger character by a mile from Square Enix's 3rd biggest IP. It could be legal hell or it could not. But it would be next. As for Sora's odds... I don't know. But the Sora demand is going to be sky high.
Lara Croft is an insanely big character, whose franchise has made more money than Kingdom Hearts, due to three movies having come out, and a fourth on the way. It has an intense legacy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if The World Ends With You got a sequel within the next year or so, and Neku became a DLC promotional Smash pick?

Bam, third Square Enix rep right there, I honestly don’t see Sora really happening anymore. I feel like Geno’s doomed to Mii Costume hell again, sadly.

But eh, that’s my two cents and I’m bloody tired. Night everyone

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I wonder though. How did leakers know Erdrick was in but not luminary the main character with Erdrick just an alt.

Maybe a lot more work needed to be put into his alt

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
For the people who want MUA3, that Blonde lady was Elsa Bloodstone. She started out in her own mini-series in the early 2000's and joined Nextwave. She's not someone I care about, but it is nice that MUA adds more obscure characters here and there. Like Moon Knight in MUA1 and Songbird in MUA2.

I'm still curious if Green Goblin will be playable in this one. I know Venom is, and both of them were in MUA2 as playable characters. If so, doing another play-through with them, Magneto and one other Villain would be sick.

I wonder though. How did leakers know Erdrick was in but not luminary the main character with Erdrick just an alt.

Maybe a lot more work needed to be put into his alt
Maybe Erdrick was the only one said leakers saw?

Well TBH i'm not really interested in Geno so yeah it is a really subjective thing lol.

No disrespect to the Geno fans out there and all.
Same here, I just know it'd make people happy. I'm not too attached to Banjo either, but I know how happy he'd make people, and I could respect the hustle.

Last edited:

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Y’all I’m just gonna throw it out there that I highkey think Leon might be 4th to bat for the DLC.

For the people who want MUA3, that Blonde lady was Elsa Bloodstone. She started out in her own mini-series in the early 2000's and joined Nextwave. She's not someone I care about, but it is nice that MUA adds more obscure characters here and there. Like Moon Knight in MUA1 and Songbird in MUA2.

I'm still curious if Green Goblin will be playable in this one. I know Venom is, and both of them were in MUA2 as playable characters. If so, doing another play-through with them, Magneto and one other Villain would be sick.
Doom as DLC seems like a given tbh

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No... no I don't think that's right.

Just because Banjo has a big history with Nintendo doesn't mean he had an edge at all. Cloud... Joker... Snake. All of them were far more known for their Playstation status, but they got in due to popularity (or personal request in Brawl's Snake). Phoenix Wright's series, up until recently, was never on a competitor's console outside of mobile ports (bad ones might I add), so by that logic, he's basically confirmed.

Banjo got in through sheer fan demand. Don't you dare deny that. He's a third party character now, and that means he has to follow Microsoft's rules. I'm not saying a Resi character can't happen (and honestly, now I expect it), but all I was saying was that point 5 was weak in comparison and is more speculation. My perspective doesn't include that.
Banjo was a specific case that will never happen again. Stop comparing it to other instances, it is the one instance like it. I've been speculating Smash since before Melee came out, I know the demand for Banjo was always there. I was sad when I found out Banjo wasn't in Melee. Most Smash speculation fans were sad Rare got let go by Nintendo, and gave up hope.

I legitimately don't understand your point about Cloud, Snake or Joker. Resident Evil is a bit more tied to PlayStation than Nintendo as well, and people have wanted Leon Kennedy in Smash since legitimately the day Resident Evil 4 dropped. But like Cloud, because of a view that it was "impossible" for a character like Leon Kennedy to happen, most people gave up that hope.

When Snake was initially revealed in Brawl, the demand for Cloud was probably as big if not bigger than Sonic initially. But once "expectations" kicked in, people "realized the reality" is that Cloud "couldn't happen" but "Sonic must happen." Before people even had hope for Cloud... the Smash 4 dev team had realized "hey the demand for Cloud is probably actually huge"

which is why Cloud Strife warranted the biggest reaction for a single character in Smash history. A lot of people wanted him, but they all thought "that's impossible." Expectations aren't reality... that's one of the most important things speculation has taught me.

Banjo had a lot of demand but little talks about him until after Smash 4 came out and ended production. It blew up once we got K. Rool even more. Why? Not because more people wanted Banjo now than before, but moreso because people who wanted Banjo realized Banjo had a shot in the past few months than all other points of time after the Microsoft's buyout of Rare.

That's really what these speculation "Hype trains" are all about... expectations, not reality.

(This is also why we have anti-fanbase form like for Chrom in Smash 4 and why a lot of people wanted Robin and Lucina instead but doubted those character's odds Smash 4; their speculation expectations were their Final Roster reality. This also had an effect that led to Chrom being in Ultimate ironically; people who had grown to expect Chrom grew to like Chrom, and wanted him as a clone for Smash 4 DLC and later for Smash Ultimate)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Y’all I’m just gonna throw it out there that I highkey think Leon might be 4th to bat for the DLC.

Probably, unless it's only the FF themselves. Now I'm really hoping Green Goblin's in.

Venom, Magneto, Doom, Goblin. THAT'S A REAL SPICY VILLAIN TEAM right there my dude.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Finally got back home, I wanted to post earlier but I was at work and with how much was revealed I didn't think it was a good idea to use my phone to post my thoughts.

• Smash: While I'm not a DQ fan, I have to say that seeing the trailer put a smile on my face. The character's magic mechanic looks interesting and depending on how fluid the mechanic is it will be fun to mess around with the different options to fit the situation you're in. I also have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the inclusion of four different DQ protagonists in the form of Luminary, Erdrick, Eight, and Solo. It reminded me of Simon/Ricther's case where while the former was undoubtedly the most iconic, Richter was one that a lot of fans preferred and getting both was a nice treat to fans of Castlevania who wanted their personal favorite Belmont (including me). The same happened here with those four, Erdrick was the most iconic, but people also love Luminary, Eight and Solo so seeing those three join alongside him (or rather, alongside Luminary) was a great present to those fans who wanted their personal favorite protagonist as well. Third Party content has truly gone above and beyond with Ultimate and DQ showcases that even more.
  • As for Banjo, that's the one I'm more excited for. I'm not as attached to them as say Ridley or K. Rool, I do have fond memories of playing Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie with my brother and friends and those memories form a strong part of my childhood, so for me those two still are characters that I did want to see, but felt greatly out of reach. Now, today they managed to beat all perceived odds and joined the roster alongside the rest of the Nintendo family and it's really a great reunion. Between the loyal moveset, the music, the character model, the stage, again the Third Party content looks so good for these two and I can't be happier with how they were adapted. There's really not much else I can say other then: Welcome home you loveable duo.
  • Link's Awakening: The dungeon building feature looks like a lot of fun, I can see myself messing around with that to see what kind of levels I can build with it.
  • Three Houses: The leaks are true! As they implied, the timeskip looks to bring some really interesting gameplay and story developments and it honestly got my hype up higher then before. I look forward to seeing what these changes bring to the formula since it's rather unique among FE games (only FE4 did that before and it didn't focus on the original cast much).
  • Pokémon S&S: In terms of what I've saw of the gameplay, it looks great. The updates they're making look good so far and I like what they did with Nessa's Gym. I did hear of the Home thing and that is disappointing, but I doubt that it's permanent and ideally it will be addressed as time goes on. Also, they did say that they intend to focus on the quality of the existing Pokémon in the game, so I hope they make good on that and the Pokémon are a lot more lively this time around.
  • Spyro: After about a year of teasing, Spyro's finally making his way to the Switch! I want to see a bit more of it before I decide to pick it up, but I'm definitely tempted to since I'd love to have one of my favorite trilogies on the go.
  • Panzer Dragoon: Glad to see this one as well, the game always been one of those games that I felt looked great but due to bad timing and not owning the right system it always slipped through my fingers. Now the opportunity exists for me finally to try it out, and I'll definitely try to pick it up as soon as it releases.
  • MUA3: The roster is still looking pretty good, all of my favorites are in and it's looking like the Expansion pack is going to add even more characters on top of that. Depending on the multiplayer I may pick it up since I'd love to play this with my family, I know my sister will probably love Spider-Gwen while my brother will be using Venom.
  • Finally, BotW2. Basically the perfect teaser as it didn't show a lot, but it shown enough to get me interested in what's going on with its story. The new design of Zelda looks great I have to say, and I do hope that speculation is right about that and it's so that she has a playable role.
All in all, it was a great direct. A good number of games were shown, it had good surprises from Banjo (ignoring leaks) to Panzer Dragoon, and a number of great third party ports to look forward to. There were a couple games that I would've loved to see, but I can't complain with what was offered nonetheless.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
With the inclusion of Hero and Banjo, we now have a total of 12 third party characters playable in Smash. Thats absolutely insane.

Edit: 13 characters. Forgot about Joker.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lara Croft is an insanely big character, whose franchise has made more money than Kingdom Hearts, due to three movies having come out, and a fourth on the way. It has an intense legacy.
The thing about Tomb Raider is the old Tomb Raider games aren't even close to as good as the new ones and yet you can't do the new Lara Croft because the old Lara Croft is the default, and that probably won't change until about 5 years from now at the earliest.

It's a very peculiar situation with Lara. Also again, it's about what players want, and I think deep down more Smash fans or potential Smash fans want Sora than just about any character, and Lara is a very middle of the road wanted character at best.

And yes once perception changes for Lara it will get better for her, but it will never be at this Sora high. Ever since Cloud was revealed in Smash 4, Sora has very much been "The White Whale" for Smash fans along with Banjo (who is now out of the picture, although Master Chief may reach or already be at that status as well).

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
12 alerts.

And if I haven't done a check yesterday, it probably would be 15~.

wow.

Anyway, good morning guys.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Welcome to the club.
I think that's going a bit far. We just got our 1st Western 3rd party character and that was because well... initially said character was a Western Nintendo character (made by the same studio that gave us Diddy and K. Rool).

If both of us are right about Leon and that's it for Capcom characters... There's quite a few other top candidates up there.

Heihachi Mishima or Lloyd Irving from Bamco, Crash Bandicoot from Activision Blizzard (kinda Sonic Part 2), Scorpion from WB Games/NRS, The Dragonborn from TES V: Skyrim from the same studio, Rayman from Ubisoft, a Dark Souls character from FromSoftware (and also kinda Bamco).

The field is looking crowded... and that's if the 5th fight pass character is 3rd party, and I only listed the other candidates I consider the most likely.

That said, I think DOOMGUY is going to be a candidate as long as the DLC for Smash Ultimate continues. DOOM is the classic first person shooter, has strong Nintendo ties, is totally unique and cool and awesome, and DOOMGUY would fit Smash in that weird Mature-rating way Bayonetta, Cloud and Snake do. It's a match made in Heaven HELL!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So is Kirby gonna get a tiny little back pack with a mini Kazooie in his copy or what's his copy gonna be for Banjo?

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's 13 actually.
In order of 1st playable Smash Bros. confirmation:
  1. Solid Snake
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog
  3. Mega Man
  4. PAC-MAN
  5. Ryu
  6. Cloud Strife
  7. Bayonetta
  8. Simon Belmont
  9. Richter Belmont (Echo Fighter)
  10. Ken Masters (Echo Fighter)
  11. Joker
  12. The Hero
  13. Banjo & Kazooie
This list is madness TBH. If you showed anyone even 3 years ago this, they would say you're on crack. Add in that there are now

80 PLAYABLE SMASH BROS. CHARACTERS EVER AND ALL OF THEM ARE PLAYABLE...

...that just sounds impossible. This game still hurts my brain one E3 later.

Last edited:

DavidPuddy

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking in these boards for a very long time, on and off since the Brawl era. I’d never felt it was necessary to say anything, but I’ve been silently watching as users have come and gone, and I’ve always gone here to read reactions to events like today’s direct. Today, I’d like to point out how gobsmacked I am by the reveal of Banjo and Kazooie. Banjo Kazooie has been my all time favorite video game for pretty much my entire life. I remember playing the original Super Smash Brothers, trying desperately to unlock that fourth mysterious shadow, convinced that if you squinted hard enough, it sort of, kind of was an absolute dead ringer for Banjo (It Was Ness). While characters like Link and Mario have grown up with me through the years, Banjo Kazooie has always remained a relic of my past. A piece of my childhood that it seemed for so long like nobody else even remembered. I can’t express how incredible it was to see Banjo and Kazooie turn up today. I don’t know that I’ve ever been so heavily affected by anything video game related, at least not in a very long time. Just another example of Nintendo working tirelessly to please their fans.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The thing about Tomb Raider is the old Tomb Raider games aren't even close to as good as the new ones and yet you can't do the new Lara Croft because the old Lara Croft is the default, and that probably won't change until about 5 years from now at the earliest.

It's a very peculiar situation with Lara. Also again, it's about what players want, and I think deep down more Smash fans or potential Smash fans want Sora than just about any character, and Lara is a very middle of the road wanted character at best.

And yes once perception changes for Lara it will get better for her, but it will never be at this Sora high. Ever since Cloud was revealed in Smash 4, Sora has very much been "The White Whale" for Smash fans along with Banjo (who is now out of the picture, although Master Chief may reach or already be at that status as well).
I agree with all of this (except new versus old... I think the outfit change is really all thats required).
Regardless, I think it would resinate quite intensely- just because the outcry isnt as strong doesnt mean it would not be impactful.

I do hope we get Sora, and Lara, for that matter. But time will tell, should we get another couple of passes.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Seriously though this was the best day for Smash reveals. I got my boy Eight in Smash Bros. He and the boys look so ****ing good, I can’t believe it!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Two quick reminders;

Bashing characters is against the rules too. What it does is create a divide among fanbases. It's flame/troll bait and won't be tolerated. So knock it off.

Please avoid too many embeds, which includes quoting them. If you quote an embed, please edit it out before hitting reply. To clarify, tweets and videos are both types of embeds. Try to be courteous to many others, mobile users and those with bad computers alike.

Thank you for your time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom