• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m glad your all happy. I’m glad you all loved E3. I’m glad you all loved The Game Awards. I’m glad you all love The Isle of Armor and the Crowned Tundra. I’m glad you all love Byleth.

But I need to go cry.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ended up waking up in the middle of the Direct, so I managed to catch the rest.

Firstly, while not my preferred TH character, I'm still glad it got a character. Three Houses was one of my favorite games to come out of last year and its cast is similarly excellent, so it getting representation in Smash is fantastic to me. Byleth also looks fun, I do like the use of the Whip Sword and making use of the fact that the characters can use all four weapons in TH to get the Weapon Triangle in is a nice touch. The stage looks great and I'm happy the Three Houses leaders, Hilda, Dedue, Dorothea, and some of the others are present. The only complaint I have is that God Shattering Star didn't make it in, most of the other great tracks did (ex. Apex of the World, Heaven and Earth), but that one being missing was the only bit I was a little disappointed.

With the Mii Costumes, I'm glad Cuphead got the Sans treatment. I've been hoping they'd do more of that as there's great music to some of the series that get the costumes, so I'm glad Cuphead got at least one track. As for the rest, we got the Mega Man costumes back, which leaves Monster Hunter, the Namco batch, Geno, and Chocobo as the only MIA ones. Most of them are pretty odd omissions, so I imagine we'll see them in some capacity over the next two years.

Happy we got six more characters to look forward to, but them being spread out over two years is a little surprising considering we got five within the span of one. I'll probably won't follow it as closely as this pass, but I look forward to seeing what characters they have up their sleeve. Also, I'm glad to see First Party discussion is opened up again. I understand why Third Parties dominated when the focus of the pass has been on them, but I never felt that they were completely off the table and all it took was just a character or franchise appealing to Sakurai in a way that he wanted to have represented in the game. TH and Byleth turned out to be just that in this Fighter Pass, and there are other options who could feasibly do the same with this next one so we may see some others sneak in with the next pass.

All in all, a nice surprise to wake up to. It definitely wasn't what everyone expected (or apparently wanted), but it was something I was happy to see myself.

And now people on leddit are trying to say they're clone

Bruh what
This is the same fanbase that insisted Lucario and Ike were clones because they shared one move with another character in the same franchise.

Reaching is not a foreign concept.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
My biggest impression I got from Byleth gameplay wise is that they're going to play like a Samurai Shodown character. Lots of commitment, spacing, and footsies involved. In fact, their down B reminds me of Darli Daggers hammer swing, though it seems they can't move around with it unfortunately. I hope it shield breaks at least though. I'm hoping that when spaced properly, f-smash is safe on shield. I hope in general that the character rewards a lot of positional awareness. People are saying this character is bad because they lack movement and have slow moves but I think they still can work to be viable.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi B*tches Loves.

Multi-weapon character? Yeah, I'm into it.
Possible Byleth main :)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
How many times i gotta say that these attention whores aren't credible and never will be? Smh.

Also since everyone else is doing DLC opinions I'll do the same

:ultjoker: 6/10 I like persona, not a fan of Joker. I would have preferred P4 or P3's Mcs. Getting my ass whooped by his meta ass probably took a point or two off tbh

:ulthero: 7/10 I have no personal attachment to this character, or dragonquest tbh. But I can understand the significance behind his inclusion, and his playstyle is pretty unique.

:ultbanjokazooie: 7/10 I liked Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie back in the day, but i've never really wanted banjo in smash. He's a pretty cool legacy character but i was never a massive fan of him even back when I played the games.

:ult_terry:11/10 Above perfection. Finally a character that I liked back when I was a kid, and still like now from multiple franchises that I like, with amazing gamplay to boot. This is the kind of DLC that I've been asking for since Smash 4 Bayo. The pass was worth it just for Terry

Byleth: 5/10 It was a safe pick, and even though I like three houses Byleth was definitely lower in priority than Lord Dimitri in my eyes. Glad that he got in over Edelgard, though so that's a win in my book. He doesn't look particularly fun to play from what we've seen but that may change before release.

:ultpiranha: -2/10 **** this *****
I mean I’ve been saying Sabi literally hasn’t gotten anything right that wasn’t piggybacking. They are good with Sony and Microsoft soft but they clearly don’t have Nintendo sources.

Verge was still doing pretty good track record wise and I respect that he kept quiet after E3. His deconfirmation list was ridiculous though and wrong. So his info is starting to fall off.

MainJPW

M.T.A
And now people on leddit are trying to say they're clone

Bruh what
Now I’m just seeing that reaction image of Sakurai flipping the bird being spammed everywhere...and now this:

I don’t think the planet can contain this much salt. It’s a **** flinging war zone.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Considering 3H wasn't nearly as controversial as Fates, it's quite a welcome change of pace.
Might want to remove the Tweet by Fawful's Minion, considering that it's censor-dodging.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Since it’s a new page I’m reposting.

Anyone know if the mii hat leak ever had its angle recreated?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Just found out Cuphead was developed by a Canadian indie studio
There’s Canadian representation
My country has a presence in Smash
Let's ****ing go
Technically there already was Canadian made content in Smash, anything related to the Mario Strikers games, designs from the Wii Punch-Out, and anything from Luigi's Mansion 2 or 3 (most notably Luigi's new grab). Next Level Games is from Vancouver.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I mean, technically we had Kazooie and Terry does have a female alt not in the game, but yes.

I'd rather a full female fighter. I mean, we still got 2B, Kos-Mos, maybe Amaterasu, Reimu, and Lara left. I dunno if there's any popular female reps outside of those, but there's also nothing saying First Party gals can't get in. Do I hear a Dixie Kong?

D

Deleted member

The duality of man.

Screenshot_20200116-095653_Opera.jpg

No offense Goth

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Like I said, Dragon Quest 11 has a free demo, and Terry's games are about $9 each. (I'd recommend King of Fighters '98 if I had to pick one) That's not hundreds of dollars.

At the very least, you could look up Youtube videos for the games to get an idea of what they're like.
*sigh*
you know, what, screw it, if I'm gonna come out with an unpopular opinion I've been keeping secret for a long time, may as well out myself. :drshrug:

I don't care about "trying games to learn more about a fighter in smash" because I feel that's stupid and dumb. Like, I'm not gonna spend money(or waste time playing demos) just to learn what amounts to small little fun facts about characters. Same logic applies to Youtube videos; not gonna waste my time watching Let's Plays or walkthroughs for games I literally don't give a **** about.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, technically we had Kazooie and Terry does have a female alt not in the game, but yes.

I'd rather a full female fighter. I mean, we still got 2B, Kos-Mos, maybe Amaterasu, Reimu, and Lara left. I dunno if there's any popular female reps outside of those, but there's also nothing saying First Party gals can't get in. Do I hear a Dixie Kong?
There's Elma - she's at least popular enough to represent her entire game in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and she's a Nintendo character.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So if I had ti rank the pass from fav to least fave
:ulthero:, I have a lot of fun playing as Erdrick, and he's unique to boot
:ult_terry:-I always liked the Shotos, but Terry just feels better in every way.
:ultjoker:-Fluid and Fast, but I'm not too big on his moveset.
:ultpiranha:-This one is actually my second favorite reveal of the DLC fighters, and his moveset is creative, but it is so CLUNKY to play. Not a fan of his movement.
Byleth- Could care less, but I'm not miffed. Plus, he seems unique even though everyone's calling him another Marth for some reason.
:ultbanjokazooie:-Didn't really care for him, and he's also clunky to play.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I... Did not see that coming. I guess the release order stuff was just a coincidence after all.

And first patties are back on the table, that's good.

D

Deleted member

I count Kazooie as a female, but I understand that a bird is probably not what people have in mind.

E: Oh you say that anyways. I jumped the gun

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I really was expecting one more 3rd party character, like i think most people were.
Another sword character would've been disappointing, so the way they went to me is satisfying, tho i know lots will still be disappointed. I wanted at least one female, and here's one with lots of potential :)

Shroob

Sup?
I’m glad your all happy. I’m glad you all loved E3. I’m glad you all loved The Game Awards. I’m glad you all love The Isle of Armor and the Crowned Tundra. I’m glad you all love Byleth.

But I need to go cry.
>E3: yeah p.good, NGL

>TGA: No that **** was lame

>Pokemon DLC: Not for me but better than a 3rd version

>Byleth: You bet I do

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
*sigh*
you know, what, screw it, if I'm gonna come out with an unpopular opinion I've been keeping secret for a long time, may as well out myself. :drshrug:

I don't care about "trying games to learn more about a fighter in smash" because I feel that's stupid and dumb. Like, I'm not gonna spend money(or waste time playing demos) just to learn what amounts to small little fun facts about characters. Same logic applies to Youtube videos; not gonna waste my time watching Let's Plays or walkthroughs for games I literally don't give a **** about.
How would you know it's a series you don't give a **** about if you don't give it a ****ing chance?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And in other news. Society dared to release a new trailer for Joker in MK11. Though I'm pretty sure I can't embed MK11 vids without them getting deleted.

D

Deleted member

Was bored, made this
image (13).png
go nuts, use it for your predictions

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I mean, like literally the two biggest names of Dante and Sora are swordsmen. Sora has magic and supports from Goofy and Donald blah blah blah but Robin exists.

I get that FE has become a bit oversaturated to some people, but it's a big series with probably the largest cast sans Pokémon and they at least represented the Weapons Triangle whicb is what people have been asking in an FE character for a while now.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well, might as well take a break from my relevant thing and get to work on my thoughts on the DLC so far.

:ultpiranha: 9/10: The plant was something literally nobody saw coming. Many fans were so stuck up that they thought they knew exactly how Sakurai operated, only for this little man to completely flip the table. It helps that he's actually a quirky and fun little fellow with a TON of love for the Piranha Plants across the entire Marioverse.
:ultjoker:8/10: This was one of the biggies in terms of Smash reveals; all we had until his release was an animation, and the wait was well worth it. The Rebellion gauge applies a fascinating take on tanking damage for a purpose, and his FS is possibly the most satisfying in the franchise.
:ulthero:8/10: The reactions from Japanese fans alone make me love the Heroes, but factor in their incredibly unique moveset and you've got yourself a massive cocktail for an amazing fighter. What with all the spells and planning needed, they're easily one of the most intricate yet fun additions to the series.
:ultbanjokazooie:10/10: I'm not a 90's kid, that much I'll admit, but I still grew up with Banjo on the 360. Now that I'm older and wiser, knowing that these two are back on Nintendo for even a moment's time is something heartmeltingly cathartic. Their moves translated beautifully, and they have great power without being too gimmicky.
:ult_terry:9/10: I enjoyed Ryu and Ken before Terry made himself known, but they fell to the wayside when he did. His attacks are both easier to pull off and more fun to land, especially when your super specials are available. Just try not to smile when a successful Buster Wolf lands.
:ultbyleth: Undecided: I haven't played much 3H, plus they're not even out yet, so I can't say for sure how Byleth is gonna land. Based on what I've seen, though, I feel like they'll land a pretty 8 or 9 on my list, no sense rocking the boat just yet.

Don't @ me, this is only my honest thoughts, and I'm a notable altruist.

D

Deleted member

*sigh*

If something doesn't interest you, that's fine.

I think most people's issue is when someone asks what makes a fighter good, and then after someone explains it respectfully, they just go, "**** that" instead of looking into it. It comes across as disingenuous, because they weren't actually interested. They just ultimately wanted to trash it.

Now I'm not sure whether you do that or not, but that's the beef people have with that mentality.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
*sigh*

It helps to expand your horizons. If you refuse to give any new/unfamiliar series a chance, and only support a small handful of characters, then of course you're going to be disappointed with most of the Smash reveals.

You might find a new favourite if you learn about characters through Smash and give their series a shot. I got into games like Metal Gear Solid, Fire Emblem Awakening, Earthbound, and Persona 5 because of their Smash appearances, and all of them were amazing games. It would certainly help to show you why they were included in Smash to begin with.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What was the general reaction when it happened?
(curious which page it was on too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom