• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
How do you make an alien monster based off of a penguin without the audience going "that's just a penguin"?
Well you can introduce some fantastical and odd anatomy with the creature, theres a Penguin Alien in subnautica that looks pretty freaky despite having some distinctive Penguin features.

Are you going more cute or more freaky?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Where's Dunsparce.

Gimme Dunsparce and I unironically will consider buying.
Galarian dunsparce with an evolution please. If Stunfisk and corsola can get one then it’s time for dunsparce

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Well you can introduce some fantastical and odd anatomy with the creature, theres a Penguin Alien in subnautica that looks pretty freaky despite having some distinctive Penguin features.

You know what that thing is missing? Laser beams attached to its head!

Outside of that, its from Subnautica?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
There better be a dolphin Pokémon in theses expansions.

I still don't understand how in the hell we don't have one as long as this series has been around..

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Well it’s a Ben 10 alien, so kind of a blend. Like, it needs to be freaky enough to be a “believable” alien race that could exist out in the universe, but it needs to be “cute” enough that it won’t feel weird watching it as a repeated character in a show (and for kids to still wanna buy the toy).
Take Larry Niven's Puppeteers

He took minor aspects that are easily describable and shifted anatomy :yoshi:
Wow. That’s a cool design. I’ll look into his work. Should help me out.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
IMO, I love the expansion passes over "third versions". Makes sense too. They're doing more work, and gasp, are getting paid for it.

Though to be honest, it's hard to say if they could actually get more Pokemon in with the ridiculous deadline from the base game. Either way, they're a pretty well-priced purchase for a major game expansion, and you are only paying half the price of a full game too. Maybe it could be possibly a bit cheaper by 10 bucks each, but a lot of time developers get underpaid due to the price of games being way lower than they should be, so this is a pretty reasonable price, imo.

------------------

On another note, finally figured out my Mega for a ToyAgumon line. It's a LEGO Crocodile with Paper Teeth. Idea is that it's a heroic subspecies of Leviamon, and smaller too, of course. Still very large on its own, but isn't supposed to be towering over the entire Digiworld. It also takes notes from MetalPiranimon, having a similar biting attack. Name is still being worked on, but Resindilemon is a beta one. Resins comes from Polymers, which comes from Plastics. I'm thinking of calling another attack Plastique Tail.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
IMO, I love the expansion passes over "third versions". Makes sense too. They're doing more work, and gasp, are getting paid for it.

Though to be honest, it's hard to say if they could actually get more Pokemon in with the ridiculous deadline from the base game. Either way, they're a pretty well-priced purchase for a major game expansion, and you are only paying half the price of a full game too. Maybe it could be possibly a bit cheaper by 10 bucks each, but a lot of time developers get underpaid due to the price of games being way lower than they should be, so this is a pretty reasonable price, imo.

------------------

On another note, finally figured out my Mega for a ToyAgumon line. It's a LEGO Crocodile with Paper Teeth. Idea is that it's a heroic subspecies of Leviamon, and smaller too, of course. Still very large on its own, but isn't supposed to be towering over the entire Digiworld. It also takes notes from MetalPiranimon, having a similar biting attack. Name is still being worked on, but Resindilemon is a beta one. Resins comes from Polymers, which comes from Plastics. I'm thinking of calling another attack Plastique Tail.
It’s the same thing with Street Fighter and Kingdom Hearts (and people still complain about dlc). Although, strangely, all three of these franchises most recent installments had critsisms of feeling “unfinished” at launch.

Honestly, a game is a game. The price is the price. If you wanna pay less, use a coupon or a gift card or rewards points. You want them to release the dlc for free because you (like all humans, or at least Americans) are cheap? Suck it up. Even at $60 they’re still undercharging you for how much games cost to make (msrp would need to be set around $80-$100 per title to have it be profitable without dlc and ain’t no way that’s ever happening). Things cost money. If you want the things, you pay the money. It doesn’t matter if it “should” have been in the base game or not. Nothing “should” be in the base game. What’s base game is what the developers said is in the base game. And what’s dlc is what the developers said is dlc. And how they choose to structure their project plans is not your concern.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It’s the same thing with Street Fighter and Kingdom Hearts (and people still complain about dlc). Although, strangely, all three of these franchises most recent installments had critsisms of feeling “unfinished” at launch.

Honestly, a game is a game. The price is the price. If you wanna pay less, use a coupon or a gift card or rewards points. You want them to release the dlc for free because you (like all humans, or at least Americans) are cheap? Suck it up. Even at $60 they’re still undercharging you for how much games cost to make (msrp would need to be set around $80-$100 per title to have it be profitable without dlc and ain’t no way that’s ever happening). Things cost money. If you want the things, you pay the money. It doesn’t matter if it “should” have been in the base game or not. Nothing “should” be in the base game. What’s base game is what the developers said is in the base game. And what’s dlc is what the developers said is dlc. And how they choose to structure their project plans is not your concern.
Oh, that's true. The prices are super fair.

That said, I felt like Sword and Shield are very finished games too. The worst might be some graphical issues and a few bugs here or there(game was rushed for launch due to an unreasonable timeline, so I expected this anyway). There's a lot of games unfinished at launch(Sonic 06, which sadly never got patches, to name an easy example. Ironically Rise of Lyric got it worse. Since it had no meat to it after the patches fixed the glitches. 06, being filled with bugs and a small amount of glitches, still was a way bigger campaign and had tons of content even then).

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Well it’s a Ben 10 alien, so kind of a blend. Like, it needs to be freaky enough to be a “believable” alien race that could exist out in the universe, but it needs to be “cute” enough that it won’t feel weird watching it as a repeated character in a show (and for kids to still wanna buy the toy).

Ok I get you, alien but still appealing looking enough to not be considered overly ugly.

The key characteristics of a penguin are their smooth plumage, flippers, and their vertical silhouette. As long as you keep those traits it will be roughly penguin-like, everything else you can tweak to your liking. Maybe change the eyes to be exotic and alien, make it have an odd color, make completely change the feet to be un-birdlike, etc.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

You know how famous he is? One of his stories got adapted into a Star Trek episode

Albeit the animated show and the story fits into the Star Trek universe about as well as an iguana in the Antarctic, but still... :yoshi:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth So Madolche just got a searchable Double Summon....

Aaaaaaand their goes all their prices up since TCG Konami refuses to reprint them.

Mother ******.
Not true. They were reprinted in OTS/Astral Packs, and the previous MegaTins.

Oh, reprint them now? Well, most archtypes don't get jack-all anyway. Problem is there's few chances for a reprint.

They should get a structure. I also can't see them coming to Speed Duels cause they'd tear up the place with non-targeting spin removal. That's not counting it's an Xyz, either. They also are a reason we may never get a version of Ultimate Offering there either, or back ever again. Albeit, Gadgets too, but still. Speaking of, just erratum Ultimate Offering to a hard (or soft) once per turn, Konami. That'll still be a really damn good card, as proven by Double Summon and Seraphendite.

Shroob

Sup?
Not true. They were reprinted in OTS/Astral Packs, and the previous MegaTins.

Oh, reprint them now? Well, most archtypes don't get jack-all anyway. Problem is there's few chances for a reprint.

They should get a structure. I also can't see them coming to Speed Duels cause they'd tear up the place with non-targeting spin removal. That's not counting it's an Xyz, either. They also are a reason we may never get a version of Ultimate Offering there either, or back ever again. Albeit, Gadgets too, but still. Speaking of, just erratum Ultimate Offering to a hard (or soft) once per turn, Konami. That'll still be a really damn good card, as proven by Double Summon and Seraphendite.
I mean some were sure like Angelly(Though even that is pushing 15 bucks atm)

But Mageliene, their ****ing Stratos, has never been reprinted and she's almost FOURTY BUCKS atm.

And then their Puddingcess XYZ is crazy expensive too since, never reprinted.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean some were sure like Angelly(Though even that is pushing 15 bucks atm)

But Mageliene, their ****ing Stratos, has never been reprinted and she's almost FOURTY BUCKS atm.

And then their Puddingcess XYZ is crazy expensive too since, never reprinted.
Indeed. That Xyz I think I have one or two of as well?

Yeah, I agree with your overall point. Though what can they reprint them in besides OTS packs? Side sets have to be based upon something. Legendary Duelist doesn't work. Maybe a new Duel "D" thing? That would be a great spot.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ok I get you, alien but still appealing looking enough to not be considered overly ugly.

The key characteristics of a penguin are their smooth plumage, flippers, and their vertical silhouette. As long as you keep those traits it will be roughly penguin-like, everything else you can tweak to your liking. Maybe change the eyes to be exotic and alien, make it have an odd color, make completely change the feet to be un-birdlike, etc.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll do some sketches tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
You know how famous he is? One of his stories got adapted into a Star Trek episode

Albeit the animated show and the story fits into the Star Trek universe about as well as an iguana in the Antarctic, but still... :yoshi:
So....
B4039DB5-16DC-43BD-A3E3-98A22E6224F9.png

Arctiguanna?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Indeed. That Xyz I think I have one or two of as well?

Yeah, I agree with your overall point. Though what can they reprint them in besides OTS packs? Side sets have to be based upon something. Legendary Duelist doesn't work. Maybe a new Duel "D" thing? That would be a great spot.
What about those March sets we've been getting.

Ya know where they vomited all those Nekroz reprints?

Battles of Legend would work too.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about those March sets we've been getting.

Ya know where they vomited all those Nekroz reprints?

Battles of Legend would work too.
Duel "D" sets is more or less what I mean by where the Nekroz stuff was.

Battles, yeah, true. Great spot for 'em.

Shroob

Sup?
Duel "D" sets is more or less what I mean by where the Nekroz stuff was.

Battles, yeah, true. Great spot for 'em.
Really I just like the archetype but way back when I was way too poor to afford 'em, and when I finally started getting back into the game, well, Mageleine's never been reprinted once in almost a decade.

Lemme play with the dollies, damnit :drsad:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So Fantasy Flight Games just recently laid off it's entire RPG team, they make all the Star Wars tabletop RPGs (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny).

It's my primary system I play so it sucks that we probably won't get any Star Wars RPG stuff in the near future and it sucks that all those people lost their job. The system was basically complete in that it had over 20 supplemental books that have released, so it's not like it got cut short, but I would have love to seen more.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Really I just like the archetype but way back when I was way too poor to afford 'em, and when I finally started getting back into the game, well, Mageleine's never been reprinted once in almost a decade.

Lemme play with the dollies, damnit :drsad:
I mean, Shaddolls exist if you want dollies~

What do you mean they're all evil abominations and basically game-defining despite not being truly overpowered compared to the rest of the current Duelist Alliance stuff?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. Need some help with this, or at least another brain examining it. So, when I was a kid, I read this ben 10 fanfic that introduced new aliens. One was a bird monster with hypnosis powers names Vertigo. I remember it was based on some specific monster or creature, but I don’t remember what specifically because 10 year old snake thought it was lame after looking it up so I imagined it very differently. And now that fanfic is deleted.

I remember this one specific picture of it on, I guess the monsters Wikipedia page. It was large and phorusroachid esque in design, only with a wider neck and with no visible wings (at least in the picture) and no head crest. In the photo it head was level with its body like it was charging something in front of it.

I just want to know the name of that monster so I can find reference photos for drawing. But I’m stuck. Especially because all traces of that fanfic have been erased from planet earth (and they say the internet is forever).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
.......and there goes Anjelly as we speak.

Konami, please do it this year rofl.
Speaking of, I don't think the Shaddolls have evil counterparts of any Madolche monsters, are they?

I also seriously want them to release Vishwar Randi(I'm a huge fan of the Succubus Knight set of cards. Garma Sword is her Ritual upgrade. I'm probably noted this to you before) and re-release Garma Sword in Speed Duels. Worse you could do is rename Succubus Knight, really. She was named at a time when people barely knew a lot of that stuff, and it was more popular in European regions anyway. Plus, Succubus is far less known than stuff like Hell or Blood. It's obvious it was never reprinted outside of the EN rewording in the set numbers of LOB. And they can't use Demoness Knight either. They did re-edit its description to sound slightly less dark. But otherwise. I feel like the big thing is they want to re-release it all at once instead, and you know, a good rename. I love the name Ghostrick Socuteboss. On the other hand, Dorklord being renamed to Angel of Mischief was just lame.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of, I don't think the Shaddolls are evil counterparts of any Madolche monsters, are they?

I also seriously want them to release Vishwar Randi(I'm a huge fan of the Succubus Knight set of cards. Garma Sword is her Ritual upgrade. I'm probably noted this to you before) and re-release Garma Sword in Speed Duels. Worse you could do is rename Succubus Knight, really. She was named at a time when people barely knew a lot of that stuff, and it was more popular in European regions anyway. Plus, Succubus is far less known than stuff like Hell or Blood. It's obvious it was never reprinted outside of the EN rewording in the set numbers of LOB. And they can't use Demoness Knight either. They did re-edit its description to sound slightly less dark. But otherwise. I feel like the big thing is they want to re-release it all at once instead, and you know, a good rename. I love the name Ghostrick Socuteboss. On the other hand, Dorklord being renamed to Angel of Mischief was just lame.
Shaddolls are the corpses of Duel Terminal monsters.

There's a ****load of lore about the wars in the Duel Terminal word from the Fabled spawning the Lswarm virus after being wiped out by the Jurrac Impact and then the Lswarm virus mutating into the Shaddoll curse after Gem Knight Crystal forcibly absorbed his fellow Gem Knights....

You know, the usual Wednesday at the office.

And don't get me started on all the religious symbolism in the Qliphorts and Infernoids, one Infernoid straight up being called Satan in Japanese iirc.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Shofu didn't like the Direct much. You'd think he'd love GF for making his favorite 'mon a ****ing god

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shaddolls are the corpses of Duel Terminal monsters.

There's a ****load of lore about the wars in the Duel Terminal word from the Fabled spawning the Lswarm virus after being wiped out by the Jurrac Impact and then the Lswarm virus mutating into the Shaddoll curse after Gem Knight Crystal forcibly absorbed his fellow Gem Knights....

You know, the usual Wednesday at the office.

And don't get me started on all the religious symbolism in the Qliphorts and Infernoids, one Infernoid straight up being called Satan in Japanese iirc.
That's true. I still find it hilarious 4Kids went with Demoness Knight in the Capsule Monsters dub. Like, why? That's ten times worse. Tons don't know what Succubi are anyway. I wonder what you could easily call her, though... Shadow Sword Knight? She's often a Shadow attribute in the DDS-style games. Kind of fits?

Anyway, true. The lore is grrrrreat. I also gotta finish up how I plan to do the Zelda-Ritual archtype. Called Tri- itself. You have ones like Tri-Celtic Defender, which is a Celtic Guardian and Link combo. Among others. I plan to have the Tingle variant directly be a Field Searcher, and possibly also a Ritual Spell/Monster searcher too for the archtype. I got the core characters already done via that(Link, Zelda, Ganon, Ganondorf, Fierce Deity Link, Sheik, Din, Naryu, Farore, and I'm working on ideas for Skull Kid/Majora's Mask too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom