• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
so uh... just got back from Rise of Skywalker...

I understand the film is super divisive and controversial, but uh... I personally enjoyed it

it ain't flawless by any means, you can definitely tell they pulled back from the plans that Last Jedi set, and it felt a little safe at times, but I'd say it was an enjoyable experience and a pretty good conclusion to the Star Wars saga
Now I have to ask what did you think of..
rey almost blowing up chewie
The kiss
Rey being a palpatine?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That's it buster, your choice to go with the incestuous dub has lead me to uninstall RE2
I rob myself of a good experience and you rob yourself of a great experience.

Hardly seems fair.

No the Viz dub is the redub, that one is the DiC dub.
Heh. Heh heh.

"DiC".

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In my defense on the Sailor Moon dub thing.

I lowkey love looking back on terrible 90s dubbing and how egregious the edits are, how poorly the actors are directed, etc. It's a nice reflection of how far the medium has come since, and a reminder of what kind of garbage our parents endured us watching as kids.

I won't watch the WHOLE series in DiC's dub, but I will definitely watch the "the lesbians are actually cousins" bits to see just how the hell they thought that would work.

Also I remember having a minor crush on Jupiter so time to relive those 9 year-old feels.

D

Deleted member

When you change from one Smashboards thread to another through notifications:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Now I have to ask what did you think of..
rey almost blowing up chewie
The kiss
Rey being a palpatine?
Rey almost blowing up Chewie - this is a key example of what I mean when I found the film a little too safe. Right when the film takes bold risks, it immediately backtracks and undoes what it was setting up, in fear of ticking people off. Call me a weirdo, but I enjoyed the tension the scene brought. So for them to straight up show you Chewie's alright only minutes later definitely took out the oomph outta that. I'm not saying they should've kept him dead, they just should've framed it better, like maybe stick with the force visions and not show him alive and well only minutes after his presumable death.

The kiss- was a little outta nowhere, but I totally understand it. It was probably meant to symbolize Ben giving the rest of his life force to Rey. at least it wasn't a Luke Leia situation where they were actual siblings

Rey being a Palpatine - real talk, right when they first announced Palpatine was returning for this one, I knew it was gonna come to this, it just didn't go the way i expected. I thought he meddled with the force to create her in a similar way it's been presumed he did with Anakin. Was not expecting a literal biological connection whatsoever. Tfw even Palpatine got a gf. We gamers really gotta step it up

other random notes:

-They just had to make Palaptine say "do it" at least once, huh?

- Hearing all of the past Jedi voices at the end was pretty sweet. Never thought I'd enjoy hearing Hayden Christensen as Anakin once again, but here we are. They even had characters from the several animated series, so that was a nice touch.

-CHEWIE FINALLY GOT HIS MEDAL!

but yeah, overall, a fun experience, even if it was a little flawed at times

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
so uh... just got back from Rise of Skywalker...

I understand the film is super divisive and controversial, but uh... I personally enjoyed it

it ain't flawless by any means, you can definitely tell they pulled back from the plans that Last Jedi set, and it felt a little safe at times, but I'd say it was an enjoyable experience and a pretty good conclusion to the Star Wars saga
I'm firmly of the belief that the main reason the movie is divisive is because so many people wanted to be bad that they just refuse to accept that it turned out to be an enjoyable movie. I've seen so many people say "but the plot is too convenient!" As if that's not how all Star Wars movies go considering The Force is one of media's most well known Deus Ex Machinas.

D

Deleted member

Finally stopped being lazy and caught 63 Milcery to get one of each Alcremie form. Too bad two of the sweets are unobtainable, which means 18 of them are impossible to get right now. Still though, I already evolved the other 45 ones so the bulk is already done and I'm nearly out of sweets now. Time to wait for the Ribbon and Star Sweet now.

BatCrab

Smash Rookie
Wademan94 Wademan94 beatcha to it.

Still solid though.
Alright. Group vote.

After work which should I watch:
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Sailor Moon
  • Mobile Suit Gundam (the original)
With the catch that all of these will be viewed in their original, awful dubs.

No you cannot change my mind this is how I like to experience anime for the first time.
The only one of those anime's respective dubs I would call awful is the DiC Sailor Moon dub; which is a hardly surprising considering the censorship guidelines of the time and the fact that the voice director for the dub was a French women who could barely speak English.

It's really somewhat dispiriting to see ADV's seminal dub for NGE called 'awful'. It was really quite revolutionary for the time as it was arguably the first time an anime had been dubbed by a team of actual anime fans who thought carefully about casting and translation choices, as opposed to having it be done by indifferent hired goons as had been standard practice before. The dub has always had its detractors but most fans tend to think rather positively of ADV's effort and it's not unheard of to find fans who prefer the dub to the original Japanese (including series creator/director Hideaki Anno who is on record as preferring the dub). Even many of the dub's biggest critics still tend to agree that Tiffany Grant's interpretation of Asuka Langley Soryu is the definitive interpretation of the character. The more recent Netflix dub is arguably more controversial and while some of that is doubtlessly down to a lack of familiarity there are certainly legitimate complaints to be had concerning casting choices, flat delivery and an 'accurate to a fault' translation.

The English dub of the original Gundam is a bizarre oddity. The best way to describe it would be 'inconsistent'; there are episodes in which the dub is fine, everyone seems well cast, the translation seems on point and everyone delivers their lines perfectly...and then in the very next episode just the opposite: nobody seems suited for their character, the translation is clunky at best and the line delivery is dreadful, and it's like this almost all the way through the series. It would be one thing if it started out bad and then improved as it went along (as is common in many English dubs from the period) but it retains this bizarre inconsistency from start to finish...I would still struggle to call it 'awful' as it is still genuinely good enough of the time.

If you want to watch the original Gundam and want a proper awful dub then I would recommend the English dub of the original Gundam compilation film trilogy. Not only is the film trilogy arguably a far better way for someone to experience the original Gundam for the first time (there is a broad consensus that the film trilogy is on the whole slightly better than the TV series), but the English dub (made in the early 80's and the earliest English dub of any Gundam property) is true to the standards of the time and wonderfully awful (regularly pronouncing 'Gundam' as 'Gondom' throught). As a nice little bonus it also features legendary voice actor Steve Blum in his second ever voice role, so you get a nice snippet of English dub history too.

Anyway I don't know why I bother watching English dubs, I can't understand any of them anyway...

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yup we are seeing our first mythical tomorrow:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Me neither. At least, consecutively and paying attention.

It was just "the girl show that comes on before Dragonball Z" in my youth.
I watched both as a kid. Though Dragon Ball and DBZ are still my **** to this day. I remember thinking Sailor Moon was fine. Not my favorite though.

I re-watched YuYu Hakusho though. It's still pretty great.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So some clips of the Boondocks got Coppa'd by Youtube.

This Algorithm Sucks.
This is not the spark that makes our ideas bright. Now we can't tell our lefts from our rights.

Yeah, I think imma give up drawin.
Someone needs a training montage I guess. But I would suggest to not give up and look up tutorials or take up drawing classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom