• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's really somewhat dispiriting to see ADV's seminal dub for NGE called 'awful'. It was really quite revolutionary for the time as it was arguably the first time an anime had been dubbed by a team of actual anime fans who thought carefully about casting and translation choices, as opposed to having it be done by indifferent hired goons as had been standard practice before. The dub has always had its detractors but most fans tend to think rather positively of ADV's effort and it's not unheard of to find fans who prefer the dub to the original Japanese (including series creator/director Hideaki Anno who is on record as preferring the dub). Even many of the dub's biggest critics still tend to agree that Tiffany Grant's interpretation of Asuka Langley Soryu is the definitive interpretation of the character. The more recent Netflix dub is arguably more controversial and while some of that is doubtlessly down to a lack of familiarity there are certainly legitimate complaints to be had concerning casting choices, flat delivery and an 'accurate to a fault' translation.
Well, full disclosure, I'm not that big of an anime guy. I've retroactively tried to get into it in the last few years, but before I turned 27 I'd only watched five anime shows to completion: Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z/GT, Rurouni Kenshin, Ghost in the Shell SAC, and Cowboy Bebop. All dubbed, all on Toonami.

As I now abridge one of those, I've found that I know significantly less about the... well I guess you can't call it "genre" but, like, anime as a whole than most all of our subscribers and followers. So while I've increased my total anime watched to about 15 or so, I'm trying to look back further and get more into "where it started".

For Christmas I found an underpriced DVD set of the original Eva dub and got it, but I'm two discs in and I still don't understand the hype. Asuka just came into things and I admit that her performance so far is the best part of the show, but it has yet to hook me past the animation of the kaiju/robot fights and how I've turned "shots of telephone lines with cicada noises in the background" into a drinking game. (Not really but I swear I'm gonna.)

Sailor Moon I have a vague knowledge of but have never sat down to watch it, and its impact on anime and specifically the "magical girl" genre makes me feel like it's a necessary watch. I also feel like finally watching the OG Gundam is important to my work as a Gundam Wing re-dubber. Know where you come from and all that. So that's why I'm choosing between these three.

Any other suggestions? You seem to know your ****.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I never thought of this.

Can I use that scene in Liar Liar when he says "stop breaking the law, asshole" whenever I see someone breaking da rules?

I feel like it's a necessity.
As an unbiased third party, I think you should report the content instead of flaming users. :happysheep:

On another note, why does staindgrey hate all the thread titles sob emoji

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
ChArAcTeR lOoKs cArToOnY, mUsT bE fOr KiDs.

-YouTube Bots and algorithm
Yeah, so far nothing's happened on my channel, but I'm worried since we use Gundam Wing footage throughout.

Granted there's also occasional adult humor and censor bleeps, but I can't trust Youtube's algorithms to account for that.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, so far nothing's happened on my channel, but I'm worried since we use Gundam Wing footage throughout.

Granted there's also occasional adult humor and censor bleeps, but I can't trust Youtube's algorithms to account for that.
A series of Transformers Abridged parodies I tend to watch from time to time hasn’t been Coppa’d as of now.

So thankfully it seems Abridged stuff is safe from Coppa.

Also my favourite LEGO and Action figure reviewers (Just2Good and ShartimusPrime) are safe from Coppa too.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’ve set up a casting call for a project that I’ve been working on for a few months now. I have gotten several private messages asking if people can audition.
90FBD395-5E68-468D-B1F8-504B3EDCC539.jpeg

I mean... I set all voice listings to be public, so yeah.

A series of Transformers Abridged parodies I tend to watch from time to time hasn’t been Coppa’d as of now.

Also my favourite LEGO and Action figure reviewers (Just2Good and ShartimusPrime) are safe from Coppa too.
To be fair, just because something hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

D

Deleted member

Played Blazblue today and just as I expected, I suck, but so far I'm really loving Adachi, especially when paired with Hazama. Those two are a perfect for each other. Also nice seeing Yu & Yosuke again, as well as Ragna's and Rachel's banter.

Speaking of Rachel, I very much doubt I'm going to main her. I really can't get used to how Silpheed works, due to the simplified control scheme compared to the main BB games. Kind of a shame, but there are so many characters I haven't even tried yet, there's bound to be someone else instead.

I guess I'm gonna give Platinum and Teddy a spin next, I always liked those weirder characters. Kinda miss Arakune though and Rise would made a good addition as well.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Are those funny? I really like DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh abridged.

D

Deleted member

Are those funny? I really like DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh abridged.
Idk, I’m a really odd man when it comes to rating comedy (since I suck at it).

Doh Dragon Ball Abridged is indeed a really fun thing and I’m glad it exists.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Well, full disclosure, I'm not that big of an anime guy. I've retroactively tried to get into it in the last few years, but before I turned 27 I'd only watched five anime shows to completion: Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z/GT, Rurouni Kenshin, Ghost in the Shell SAC, and Cowboy Bebop. All dubbed, all on Toonami.

As I now abridge one of those, I've found that I know significantly less about the... well I guess you can't call it "genre" but, like, anime as a whole than most all of our subscribers and followers. So while I've increased my total anime watched to about 15 or so, I'm trying to look back further and get more into "where it started".

For Christmas I found an underpriced DVD set of the original Eva dub and got it, but I'm two discs in and I still don't understand the hype. Asuka just came into things and I admit that her performance so far is the best part of the show, but it has yet to hook me past the animation of the kaiju/robot fights and how I've turned "shots of telephone lines with cicada noises in the background" into a drinking game. (Not really but I swear I'm gonna.)

Sailor Moon I have a vague knowledge of but have never sat down to watch it, and its impact on anime and specifically the "magical girl" genre makes me feel like it's a necessary watch. I also feel like finally watching the OG Gundam is important to my work as a Gundam Wing re-dubber. Know where you come from and all that. So that's why I'm choosing between these three.

You didn't actually ask me, but I recommend Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Steins;Gate as some good serious anime

Soul Eater and Kill La Kill as some somewhat serious, but still pretty comedic anime.

Space Patrol Luluco if you enjoy those 2 and are interested in a short little parody of that kind of anime.

If you're looking for something that's all comedy and no action definitely Lucky Star and K-On.

And my personal favourite, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, apparently it's aimed at people who already have a deep understanding of anime tropes, so maybe not? (Although, fun fact: it was one of the first animes that I watched and it stayed my #1 ever since, so your mileage may vary haha)

D

Deleted member

I'm firmly of the belief that the main reason the movie is divisive is because so many people wanted to be bad that they just refuse to accept that it turned out to be an enjoyable movie. I've seen so many people say "but the plot is too convenient!" As if that's not how all Star Wars movies go considering The Force is one of media's most well known Deus Ex Machinas.
My observation is it's hard for me to tell what Star Wars fans ultimately want from a new trilogy. Maybe they don't even want one at all given the reaction.

From where I stand, I didn't grow up with the series. I only watched the original trilogy just before college and thought it was nice popcorn fun. Some of the visuals were distractingly outdated and the pacing was occasionally bad, but it was fun.

Now if you sat me down in front of the original trilogy movies and told me to nitpick them all, you'd bet I would have a list spanning over multiple pages in a word document, but that's not the point of these movies. I clearly am not expected to think about this kind of ****, and that applied to me in TRoS. Like what else is Star Wars supposed to be besides a dumb space adventure?

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Panty and Stocking got Coppa'd too btw. Never seen the show, but uh, idk if that's what kids should watch...
Source?

I seriously wanna see if this is true.

D

Deleted member

Haven’t modelled in a while, but I’m back at it again, and things are going pretty well I’d say.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Lol, places like GameXplain and GoNintendo are reporting that the West Sea Gastrodon is a "new leaked form" for Sword and Shield.

Shroob

Sup?
Lol, places like GameXplain and GoNintendo are reporting that the West Sea Gastrodon is a "new leaked form" for Sword and Shield.
I mean, they're technically correct in that it's new to Sword/Shield.

Probably a big selling point of the Direct is going to he about Home and what you can transfer to SwSd.... which we already knew from day 1.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
This Panty and Stocking talk makes me want to binge watch the show again.

Too bad about the "ending", tho.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's Luigi comforting Waluigi who didn't get into Smash Ultimate: (this is my headcanon.)
Df4eg3AU0AEZSA3.jpeg
Also I found said picture on the Internet.

BatCrab

Smash Rookie

In terms of 'general anime' I wouldn't say that I know much more than anyone else who watches it for a hobby. I'd like to think I've seem most of the 'required viewing' titles, a smattering of the older classics and a handful of more obscure titles but I would not presume to be any sort of authority on the subject. Being honest, I'm not too familiar with Sailor Moon either; I've seen a handful of episodes of the 90's anime (both in my youth and later in life) and I think one of the movies. Most of my knowledge that pertains to my previous post comes from reading about the bizarre circumstances of the DiC dub (perhaps the only English anime dub to have a whole book written about it).

Now 'mecha anime' specifically is a different story, that I am very well versed in (especially Gundam). Evengelion is certainly required viewing for any burgeoning anime fan (those interested in mecha tend to come to it a bit earlier obviously) but the thing to remember is that whilst Evangelion is generally regarded as a classic...it's also an incredibly divisive series and debates over its quality and true influence continue to this day. The important thing is to see it to acquire an informed opinion on the series...even if it's a negative one. I don't know how much of a Gundam fan you consider yourself if your only real exposure to the franchise is Gundam Wing, but I can say as a very committed Gundam fan (who has spent many years interacting with other fans online) that (western) Gundam fans tend to (with astonishing regularity) find Evangelion to be rather overrated or even downright bad. So if you do find yourself disliking the series you may find yourself in good company.

Speaking personally on the matter of NGE: I find the first 19 episodes of the series to be nigh flawless...I don't have any real complaints towards the series up to that point. It's everything after episode 19 (episodes 20-26 + End of Evangelion) that tends to be the 'make or break it' part for most people. Eva post episode 19 is an undeniable mess (brought about by a lack of planning, lack of budget and the mental breakdown of its director, plus a whole host of other factors) but whether it's a fascinating mess that allows the series to plunder new depths of characterisation, psychology and philosophy, all wrapped up in an impressive audio-visual feast...or a self-indulgent slog that squanders its characters and plot points and isn't half as clever as it thinks it is...is something that each individual viewer has to decide for themselves. In my opinion, while I wouldn't want to imply that both viewpoints don't have merit...I personally would lean towards the latter as my personal viewpoint; I find Evangelion to be very overrated on the whole. As an addendum I will tentatively recommend Eva's manga adaptation as something to look into after finishing the anime. In my opinion it's the best interpretation of the story and goes out of its way to correct most of the more prominent issues the series had.

As for Gundam, well watching the original is a great idea no matter how you go about, but speaking as a very knowledgeable fan I would strongly advise watching the compilation films over the TV series. Many anime fans I know tend to baulk at such a suggestion having long been conditioned into finding compilation films to be cheap cash-grabs which end up being vastly inferior to the series they're complied from, and in general they're not wrong but the original Gundam's film trilogy is the ultimate exception. Most Gundam fans broadly agree it to be better than the TV series and especially better for new watchers as the films cut most of the weaker episodes and goofier stuff while retaining all the important parts of the narrative and improving them with sprinkles of higher quality animation. If the TV series is the only convenient way for you to watch the original Gundam then go for it, both versions are fantastic but do watch the film trilogy if at all possible.

If you want to learn more about Gundam I would also recommend Gundam's first full length sequel 'Zeta Gundam' (50 episodes, 1985) which is broadly agreed to be the best Gundam series, or at least the benchmark from which all subsequent Gundam series are measured. A word of warning however: both the original Gundam and Zeta Gundam are very different in style, execution and overall tone than what you may be used to from Gundam Wing. A more familiar Gundam I will kick in your direction is 'Gundam 00' (50 episodes + movie, 2007), an (in my opinion) excellent series that whilst to call it a 'spiritual successor' to Gundam Wing would be going too far, certainly had aspects of Wing in mind during conception and it might be a good place else to look in the Gundam franchise if you want more familiar footing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The thing with EVA is that it's one of those shows that over time seems less special. It stood out by being edgier, with EVA 101 looking significantly less heroic than literally any other mech back then, and it was so successful that people copied it, making it seem very average as people kept doing what made it stand out.

Anyway a personal recommendation is Dirty Pair's original series, though it wasn't dubbed, not sure what people think of the one that was dubbed as I never actually watched it. I hear Tekkaman Blade is good **** and it might be more up your alley, again, never watched that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom