• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I knew tros would be bad but 57? Ouch. As a Star Wars fan it makes me sad to see Disney ruin such a good franchise. Star Wars should’ve stopped after return of the Jedi. Or at least revenge of the sith. Oof.
It's a shame, because I want these movies to succeed. I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time, and the sequel trilogy started out with much promise. Say what you will about Force Awakens, but even with its flaws it was still a very nicely put together movie; very enjoyable. But now... the sequel trilogy will certainly be mired in infamy no matter what.

We'll see how I like Rise of Skywalker. I personally liked FA a lot, but with Last Jedi I STARTED out enjoying it quite a bit, but going through it again, it's aged like milk. I'm now very mixed on LJ. We'll see how RoS does for me, but I will be entering the film a bit apprehensive.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
It's a shame, because I want these movies to succeed. I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time, and the sequel trilogy started out with much promise. Say what you will about Force Awakens, but even with its flaws it was still a very nicely put together movie; very enjoyable. But now... the sequel trilogy will certainly be mired in infamy no matter what.

We'll see how I like Rise of Skywalker. I personally liked FA a lot, but with Last Jedi I STARTED out enjoying it quite a bit, but going through it again, it's aged like milk. I'm now very mixed on LJ. We'll see how RoS does for me, but I will be entering the film a bit apprehensive.
Yeah, I enjoyed force awakens too but the last Jedi. I don’t have any idea what they were going for. Snoke was my biggest disappointment tbh he had ten minutes of screen time and we learned absolutely nothing about him.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Being honest here, the Star Wars movies are the part of the franchise I know the least about, like I watched all of them at least once, but my memories of them, beside 7 & 8 are really small outside of some scenes here and there. It's the animated show that made me interested in the series for some time, to be precise, this one & this one.

Sooooooooo, I don't know if I care personally what happen to Star Wars if ROS fail, but what I know is that I be quit sad for long time fan who had to deal with mediocre to controversial movies for years now.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
A tomatometer score isn't the average score that reviewers have given a movie, it's the percentage of reviewers that have given it s positive score.

I'm also inclined to ignore reviews within the first few days of a movie like Star Wars, especially after how divisive The Last Jedi was, because there are so many people who want the movie to fail (yes, I would even say some professional reviewers are that petty).

So, I'm going into it tomorrow night just as excited as I have been for the last month because I ****ing love Star Wars.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Too bad regardless of how bad Rise of Skywalker is GA is still gonna flock over to see it because "Star Wars" and "Disney" still make a billion.

Disney, Star Wars and the MCU are pretty much the fast food/McDonalds of cinema at this point.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Just had to talk my sister out of adopting a puppy again.

It really sucks because I actually really need an animal in my life right now, but we don't have the money for it right now. My sister is in debt and I haven't had any spare money to put into my savings account for months. 50 dollars pet rent + pet food + vet check ups + toys/training pads/accessories ect would just be too much for us right now.

...I could really use the companionship though. Sigh.
and also Id say adopt a full grown dog and not a pupper. With an adult, you dont need to be with it all the tine 24/7 because an adult can handle itself when your gone

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
and also Id say adopt a full grown dog and not a pupper. With an adult, you dont need to be with it all the tine 24/7 because an adult can handle itself when your gone
I'm with Pumpkaboo here.

I feel there's also an absolute need that people should be adopting rescue dogs that are need of forever loving homes. That's what I plan for my next down in the future.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Yeah, I enjoyed force awakens too but the last Jedi. I don’t have any idea what they were going for. Snoke was my biggest disappointment tbh he had ten minutes of screen time and we learned absolutely nothing about him.
Here's how all the Star Wars films rank in my live-action movie ranking:

1. Empire Strikes Back (1st/206)- My favorite movie of all time.

2. A New Hope (3rd/206)- Classic

3. Return of the Jedi (75th/206)- Has some pacing issues but is overall a very worthy conclusion to a brilliant trilogy.

4. Force Awakens (82nd/206)- Rey isn't *as* big of a Mary Sue in this film as she is in LJ, but there are still some negative signs. The story is also quite similar to ANH, but overall it's a very competent, entertaining film.

5. Revenge of the Sith (137th/206)- A very engaging entry in the series at times, but it's also slow at the start of the film aside from the star fleet fight. Anakin is finally likable in the prequels, and McGregor continues to kill it as Obi-Wan. The acting performances in general in this film are significantly better than the other prequel films, even with the at-times shoddy script. It's got glaring flaws, but has potential for enjoyment. I personally like it overall, even with the glaring flaws.

6. Solo (139th/206)- This is kinda the opposite of ROTS. I still like it overall, even with its glaring flaws. However, the difference with Solo is that while ROTS has many big highs, but also a few extreme lows, Solo is moreso "decent" consistently, without much variance. Seeing Han and Lando's backstory was really interesting, and I enjoyed the "heist" feel to it, but not much stands out. It's competently made, but not that memorable.

7. Last Jedi (143rd/206)- I still don't know how to feel about this film. I like how Luke proved to grow in maturity even in his old age, and come to terms with his own frustration and cynicism... but the execution of showing such was... eh? Some points of Luke's character development were shown beautifully, while others felt jarring. Poe's story had potential, and I'm glad he finally got focus, but execution was once again... eh? The Finn and Rose storyline unfortunately was boring and lasted for far too long. On the upside, I REALLY liked Kylo Ren in this film. Driver's portrayal of the character I think gets forgotten, and I enjoy the route his character took. It shows that Kylo Ren may try to be a villain, but in actuality there's still some good in him and in reality Kylo Ren is more of a conflicted anti-villain, as much as he hates to admit it. The character's biggest flaw is uncertainty of himself, and I think it's shown nicely in this film. And, we already got the threatening, super serious villain in Vader... with Kylo Ren, we see a different kind of villain and tbh I think it's pulled off well. In any event, you can tell I'm very mixed on LJ.

8. Phantom Menace (177th/206)- Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon was great... other than that, the story is just bland. There's not much there to like at all.

9. Rogue One (180th/206)- Not sure what the hype is about this film. You can't get attached to the characters because the actors were ordered to basically not have much variance in emotion so the audience doesn't get attached, and that's a shame because I WANT to like these characters and feel something when they all die from the Death Star plan delivery mission. But unfortunately... I don't care about any of them, except for Churrit. Why? Because it's nice to see a force user that doesn't use a lightsaber for once. Churrit is a neat character, but everyone else is very bland and forgettable. Worst cast in the Star Wars series, imo. The story pacing is also deadfully slow for a lot of it, but the third act is thankfully salvagable, especially with Vader doing awesome Vader things.

10. Attack of the Clones (189th/206)- "I don't like sand... it's rough, coarse, irritating, and it gets everywhere."
The meme says it all... what was this movie?

D

Deleted member

It's that bad!?

Oh come on! Nothing can be worse that Last Jedi right? Just narratively, it should be more focused, making it a better movie...

Right?
from what i can tell, people don't like it because it's too plot-focused
which.. makes sense, considering that the trilogy never had a cohesive plot planned out from the beginning and changed directors twice- it's like they had three separate plots per movie without feeling like a cohesive whole, so the end of this trilogy has a very hard time feeling like a conclusion

to put it in better words, it's like they have to create and end a trilogy in one single movie, and that bloats the **** out of any screenplay

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
star wars sequel trilogy turned out so sloppy it made the prequels look like ****ing masterpieces and that's impressive

say what you will about the quality of episodes 1/2 but at least lucas had a cohesive vision for the world he was creating and the story he was telling

Shroob

Sup?
A tomatometer score isn't the average score that reviewers have given a movie, it's the percentage of reviewers that have given it s positive score.

I'm also inclined to ignore reviews within the first few days of a movie like Star Wars, especially after how divisive The Last Jedi was, because there are so many people who want the movie to fail (yes, I would even say some professional reviewers are that petty).

So, I'm going into it tomorrow night just as excited as I have been for the last month because I ****ing love Star Wars.
The irony here is how against Sword/Shield you've been when Star Wars has it just as bad if not worse.

D

Deleted member

i read all the spoilers for the movie and it seems.. pretty whelming
not overwhelming or underwhelming, just
whelming
still probably gonna see it with friends at some point but i ain't holding my breath for the plot
at least the action setpieces are probably gonna be fun

Shroob

Sup?
I don't really see how they're similar, as far as I know JJ Abrams never spouted outright lies about the movie.
They're both series that have come to a point where their newest installments have become incredibly devisive among fans and who's direction seems utterly clueless at times.

I love Star Wars, but I'm not gonna blindly defend everything star wars.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Here's how all the Star Wars films rank in my live-action movie ranking:

1. Empire Strikes Back (1st/206)- My favorite movie of all time.

2. A New Hope (3rd/206)- Classic

3. Return of the Jedi (75th/206)- Has some pacing issues but is overall a very worthy conclusion to a brilliant trilogy.

4. Force Awakens (82nd/206)- Rey isn't *as* big of a Mary Sue in this film as she is in LJ, but there are still some negative signs. The story is also quite similar to ANH, but overall it's a very competent, entertaining film.

5. Revenge of the Sith (137th/206)- A very engaging entry in the series at times, but it's also slow at the start of the film aside from the star fleet fight. Anakin is finally likable in the prequels, and McGregor continues to kill it as Obi-Wan. The acting performances in general in this film are significantly better than the other prequel films, even with the at-times shoddy script. It's got glaring flaws, but has potential for enjoyment. I personally like it overall, even with the glaring flaws.

6. Solo (139th/206)- This is kinda the opposite of ROTS. I still like it overall, even with its glaring flaws. However, the difference with Solo is that while ROTS has many big highs, but also a few extreme lows, Solo is moreso "decent" consistently, without much variance. Seeing Han and Lando's backstory was really interesting, and I enjoyed the "heist" feel to it, but not much stands out. It's competently made, but not that memorable.

7. Last Jedi (143rd/206)- I still don't know how to feel about this film. I like how Luke proved to grow in maturity even in his old age, and come to terms with his own frustration and cynicism... but the execution of showing such was... eh? Some points of Luke's character development were shown beautifully, while others felt jarring. Poe's story had potential, and I'm glad he finally got focus, but execution was once again... eh? The Finn and Rose storyline unfortunately was boring and lasted for far too long. On the upside, I REALLY liked Kylo Ren in this film. Driver's portrayal of the character I think gets forgotten, and I enjoy the route his character took. It shows that Kylo Ren may try to be a villain, but in actuality there's still some good in him and in reality Kylo Ren is more of a conflicted anti-villain, as much as he hates to admit it. The character's biggest flaw is uncertainty of himself, and I think it's shown nicely in this film. And, we already got the threatening, super serious villain in Vader... with Kylo Ren, we see a different kind of villain and tbh I think it's pulled off well. In any event, you can tell I'm very mixed on LJ.

8. Phantom Menace (177th/206)- Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon was great... other than that, the story is just bland. There's not much there to like at all.

9. Rogue One (180th/206)- Not sure what the hype is about this film. You can't get attached to the characters because the actors were ordered to basically not have much variance in emotion so the audience doesn't get attached, and that's a shame because I WANT to like these characters and feel something when they all die from the Death Star plan delivery mission. But unfortunately... I don't care about any of them, except for Churrit. Why? Because it's nice to see a force user that doesn't use a lightsaber for once. Churrit is a neat character, but everyone else is very bland and forgettable. Worst cast in the Star Wars series, imo. The story pacing is also deadfully slow for a lot of it, but the third act is thankfully salvagable, especially with Vader doing awesome Vader things.

10. Attack of the Clones (189th/206)- "I don't like sand... it's rough, coarse, irritating, and it gets everywhere."
The meme says it all... what was this movie?
I’d rank them pretty much the same, although I might put rogue one higher idk. I still never saw solo, idk if it sounds silly but the fact that they couldn’t find an actor that at least looked like Harrison Ford always bothered me

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
They're both series that have come to a point where their newest installments have become incredibly devisive among fans and who's direction seems utterly clueless at times.

I love Star Wars, but I'm not gonna blindly defend everything star wars.
I'm not going to blindly defend Star Wars either, I'm just saying that I won't personally believe early reviews and that I would much rather see the movie myself before I let outside forces cloud my opinion of it.

I also have a few issues with some decisions with the movies, like I may have enjoyed The Last Jedi far more than most, but it did cripple the trilogy a little by sacrificing acohesive overarching story. Solo was better than I expected, but it never should habe existed in the first place, and if it absolutely had to be made, then they should have stuck with their original plan of having every movie release in December. Attack of the Clones is garbage.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Wow guys Guardians of the Galaxy is horse****, I mean, it was made by the same director as the live action Scooby Doo movies, how could it possibly be good
bold of you to imply the live action scooby-doo movies are a bad time

D

Deleted member

Not a huge Star Wars fan or someone who blindly defends stuff, but I wouldn’t call the franchise dead if Rise Of Skywalker does turn out really bad.

The movies may not be as good, but at least the new line of comics by Marvel and some of the videogames such as Jedi Fallen Order have made some people still a bit interested on the franchise.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I have no opinion on Star Wars but Solo flopped due to other movies in the cinemas, Bob Iger admitted to that and it explains why Solo sold like hot cakes when it was on dvd
...I mean, they aren't that good, but I liked the two Scooby Doo movies made by him...

....it's guilty pleasure, yes, but still...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Correction. James Gunn was an writer not the director.
First of all that grammar error pisses me off more than it should.

Second, they're both incredibly important for the movies, and the idea anyone in the industry can only be inherently good or inherently bad it bull****. Hell, a friend of mine disliked Last Jedi but he loved Knives Out despite them sharing the same director

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This ones gonna be a fun war between toxic shills and the fandom. I'll grab my popcorn

I have no opinion on Star Wars but Solo flopped due to other movies in the cinemas, Bob Iger admitted to that and it explains why Solo sold like hot cakes when it was on dvd
I've learned never to take statements like this at face value, especially when they come from the boss.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
To be fair. I think it was really funny how everyone had been endlessly speculating over and over again about him and Rey’s parents and they both ended up just not mattering. It felt like a troll and I respect that. Even as someone who’s a fan of theory crafting. So what, we were all wrong. It’s not the first time and it’s certainly not worth docking points for.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
bold of you to imply the live action scooby-doo movies are a bad time
They were bad though especially when in general the first movie made the Mystery Gang being terrible people especially given whether you love or hate him you can't deny it was damn messed up for them to just abandon Scrappy just because he was annoying when bringing him back to his parents could had been an option. The real mystery gang we all know and love they'd never do that.

Though it didn't excuse Scrappy to try and murder them its still messed the gang didn't show any regret and acknowledging what they did to him was wrong nor at least apologize for what they did and getting away with it not learning from that mistake.

Also making Scrappy the villain was dumb as ****.

That said the only good thing about the movies is Matt Lillard plays a good Shaggy.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, and the 2 he directed were excellent movies, Star Trek (2009) and Super 8.

And you make it sound like "only produced" means anything, as if he wasn't involved in the creative process of those movies, each one of them still feels distinctly JJ in their own way.
Remember. You’re talking to the guy who thinks Thor: Ragnorok is bad. His movie logic isn’t the same as yours.
There has to be something I can do to end this dumb argument.
Pictures of KITTENS!

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Tbh I just hate when good franchises get milked. I wish Star Wars would have ended before the sequels just like I wish DragonBall would have ended before Super (sorry super fans).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom