• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

>Using the “Pokemon is for kids!” argument

Sorry, but that is where I stopped reading your post.

Yeah, maybe it is aimed at kids. But so is the entire Mario series. And not only did they polish Odyssey to triple AAA, bug free quality, but they deliberately went out of there way to make decisions that they knew VERY WELL would absolutely please the hardcore fanbase. Sure, it may still be “a kids game”. But they went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. And come to think of it, you could throw in Smash or even Zelda into this same category. Technically aimed at kids, but still put in triple AAA quality into those games, and made decisions to please fans who were asking for them for years.

There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If Mario can get that treatment, despite being a “kids game”, we have every right to ask for Gamefreak to give the same love, care, and polish to Pokemon
Not trying to say you're wrong about Pokemon but dawg
>Odyssey
>Bug free
Do you know how many OoB glitches there are in that game? Just play Luigi's Balloon World once and you'll have a pretty good idea.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So basically in order to be good at pokemon you have to practice animal cruelty. It's not about making friends and growing stronger as you journey together like it says it is.
The Pokémon WANT to fight and battling is like a sport to them, like boxing or wrestling and that’s one of the ways your bond grows stronger with your Pokémon. And stuff like this is in the in-game lore.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The Pokémon WANT to fight and battling is like a sport to them, like boxing or wrestling and that’s one of the ways your bond grows stronger with your Pokémon. And stuff like this is in the in-game lore.
I’m not saying I’m against the battling. That’s the point. It was mostly the endless breeding and throwing Pokémon away that felt cruel to me.

I wish there was a mechanic to let a Pokémon go when you wanted to drop it from your team. I hate the idea of putting these little creatures in balls forever instead of letting them roam free.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m not saying I’m against the battling. That’s the point. It was mostly the endless breeding and throwing Pokémon away that felt cruel to me.

I wish there was a mechanic to let a Pokémon go when you wanted to drop it from your team. I hate the idea of putting these little creatures in balls forever instead of letting them roam free.
I mean, there's always the release option.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually speaking of IVs does SwoShi even have bottlecaps and did they remember to make them less rare than a blue moon?
There’s mints for fixing natures and I’m pretty sure there is something like the caps but I don’t remember the name of there are

D

Deleted member

You can release them if you care about the boxing thing that much.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Pokemon media tends to imply that the boxes aren't just a shelf but rather ranches or farms so think of it like that

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, I did say they were my first impressions. If things turn out poorly later, I’ll make note of it.

I also never said people couldn’t “expect more” out of the games, but it also seems as though folks in the community don’t want to have positives considered with the game. As in, if something is cool, like the Wild area, or if somebody thinks it’s cool, it turns into, “Well you just have simple tastes, instead of wanting the most pristine of wishlists”. That kind of attitude gets irritating.

I don’t even think the games are perfect. I already stated that the lack of voice acting feels weird (and that, to me, is a natural next step for the series), and that Nat Dex is something I will miss. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I’m more miffed about it later when I want the more competitive elements.

I think the thing I’m struggling with is the extremes of negativity. It some parts of the internet, you get shamed for wanting to buy the game. You get shamed for thinking something in Sword & Shield is good, or, dare I say, a step in the right direction.

Media is hit all the time with throwing the baby out with the bath water. Sword & Shield is just one game in a collection of many. While there are things that could make Sword & Shield perfect as a Pokémon game, it still has qualities that make it a good, fun game in its own right. It can be appreciated despite its flaws.

But that’s me.
I understand it's frustrating to have people come in and shout at you for liking a video game, good, great, whatever. I think that's wrong. I would never tell someone they are wrong for enjoying a video game. There are so many more important things than that.

But.

From my side of the fence, I have also seen plenty of bad faith arguments from people defending the game, all the way to the pre-release. Mostly not here (there has been some of it here though), but everywhere. To the point of feeling like people are just sticking their heads in the sand saying "it's Pokemon, it's gonna be great, it's Pokemon, it's gonna be great" like it's a mantra. Criticisms have been mired with claims of being toxic and defending harassment. People have thrown themselves at the feet of massive gaming companies to defend them despite forcing developers to work extremely unrealistic timetables and pipelines of yearly releases. People have had their criticisms dismissed with "it's a kid's game," "you're too old for Pokemon anyway," "well, that doesn't bother me, so why does it bother you," etc. People have used hashtags like #ThankYouGameFreak to shield a company from the legitimate development and marketing issues of this franchise.

Where was this defense force when EA/Bioware screwed up with Mass Effect Andromeda? When No Man's Sky was a No Man's Land? When companies continuously release games that are clearly unfinished and filled with microtransactions? Nintendo has learned how to successfully act as if they are part of their consumers' family and consumers feel they must defend them. People call critics "haters" as if Pokemon is a little indie game that is gonna struggle to make a profit if the big internet meanies have their way. There are absolutely bad faith actors, trolls, harassers among the critics. But I think people need to think critically if they are responding to that, or to people who legitimately are upset at how such a massively profitable and successful franchise has been treated by the top brass, and if they feel they have to defend that.

(This tangent probably has nothing to do with you, but I wanted to explain and contextualize why this pre-release cycle discussion has been so frustrating.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty much my reaction to this:
WHAT THE ****KKKKKK

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Playing this game takes me back to when I was a kid and got a game on a Friday night, getting so excited to play it when I got home. I was able to get out of work early today too, and I got home and was real happy to start it up.

Now I’m at dinner, and can’t wait to play more when I go back home. Like I said earlier, I just feel like a kid again.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pokémon were complaining about difficulty in this game and I don’t get why.

it’s not over the top hard but it’s not piss easy either. If you arent working with a full team you can lose moms easily. Also the levels so far seem to actually be pretty balanced. I haven’t been anything but the levels of the bigger opponents such as milo and hop each fight.

Also I looked at the gym uniforms and think I figured out the 8th gym.
its gotta be dark type right? That’s the only type you can’t buy and it isn’t shown with the gym leaders in the opening ceremony. However the 8th was missing. My prediction is team tells leader is the 8th gym as they’ve been using dark type.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Not trying to say you're wrong about Pokemon but dawg
>Odyssey
>Bug free
Do you know how many OoB glitches there are in that game? Just play Luigi's Balloon World once and you'll have a pretty good idea.
I’m mostly talking about the level of polish and care put into the entire game compred to Sword/Shield. And that they did their best to please the “hardcore” audience.

Also, I did play a bit of Luigis Balloon world awhile back, and I didn’t see any bugs in it at all.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait, you can?

I didn’t know you can do that. I just assumed you couldn’t.
The game only prevents you from doing that if they know HMs so you can't get stuck on an island which requires you have Surf or Fly to leave, but HMs don't exist anymore so you can release whatever.

Also there should absolutely be an option to release legendaries and have them rematch you

Shroob

Sup?
Pokémon were complaining about difficulty in this game and I don’t get why.

it’s not over the top hard but it’s not piss easy either. If you arent working with a full team you can lose moms easily. Also the levels so far seem to actually be pretty balanced. I haven’t been anything but the levels of the bigger opponents such as milo and hop each fight.

Also I looked at the gym uniforms and think I figured out the 8th gym.
its gotta be dark type right? That’s the only type you can’t buy and it isn’t shown with the gym leaders in the opening ceremony. However the 8th was missing. My prediction is team tells leader is the 8th gym as they’ve been using dark type.
W-wait, my mom?

D

Deleted member

I’m mostly talking about the level of polish and care put into the entire game. And that they did their best to please the “hardcore” audience.

Also, I did play a bit of Luigis Balloon world awhile back, and I didn’t see any bugs in it at all.
You called?

D

Deleted member

I’m mostly talking about the level of polish and care put into the entire game. And that they did their best to please the “hardcore” audience.

I'm mostly joking, I agree that it's very well polished.
But like 90% of the high-bounty balloons are from people who clipped under the map, depending on the Kingdom you're playing in. For example the Steam Gardens have barely any glitched balloons, but the Mushroom Kingdom has a ton.

D

Deleted member

Im gonna test that.
You called?
Don't you have to go out of your way to even know what releasing does? Pin the blame on the game for not explaining it, not the player who couldn't know
True True, but until Let's Go, you pretty much always needed to go to the box at some point(because of fainting, needing to heal etc), and the button is RIGHT THERE when you click any pokemon. It's not like it's hidden the way Training mode was in Smash 4.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You called?

True True, but until Let's Go, you pretty much always needed to go to the box at some point(because of fainting, needing to heal etc), and the button is RIGHT THERE when you click any pokemon. It's not like it's hidden the way Training mode was in Smash 4.
It's still out of the way and idk about you but if I see I can do something and I have no clue what will happen, I tend to not do it

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You called?
Welp, looks like its been longer than I thought since I last played that mode, lol.

I was mostly referring to the story mode though, the other mode of the game didn’t really cross my mind. Thats like dismissing Smash Ultimate as a whole just because the online sucks.

D

Deleted member

It's still out of the way and idk about you but if I see I can do something and I have no clue what will happen, I tend to not do it
Really? I'm the opposite honestly...

"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" is pretty much my motto at this point lmao.

D

Deleted member

IT ALL BEGAN IN '94
KEPT ON ROLLIN' IN '95
PIECES FELL IN PLACE IN '96
IT CAME TO THE END IN '97

AND NOW IT COMES AND HERE WE GO
THE K O F IS HERE AGAIN

NOTHING's GONNA STOP IT'S 1 9 9 8!!!!!!!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
IT ALL BEGAN IN '94
KEPT ON ROLLIN' IN '95

THE K O F IS HERE AGAIN

it's 2019

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
IT ALL BEGAN IN '94
KEPT ON ROLLIN' IN '95

THE K O F IS HERE AGAIN

I was two years old then. Full of **** and spit, without a care in the world.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Are there any Pokémon you guys would keep as pets or general companions?

It should surprise literally no one that I would have a house full of dog Pokémon (especially Granbull, Yamper, Smeargle and Arcanine) but I’d love to have Pokémon like Lilligant, Flygon, Furret, Sylveon and Primarina as travel companions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom