• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Alright, my first impressions on Pokémon Sword.

1) Nobody buys Pokémon for the visuals, and to be completely honest I think this first few hours of gameplay has me ignoring the haters at this point. Yeah, the trees are lower quality than maybe what people wanted. I don’t care. I get to run around in an area that feels actually lived in.

2) Exp thing is nice, and in my humble opinion shows the removal of tedium that Pokémon has always had. Granted, I think it’s not asking a lot for it to be turned off for those who seek a challenge, but I think it’s a good addition. However, the only negative is that I’m at the first city and I feel overleveled.

3) The dude who complained about length of the game...I’m at 2-3 hours of gameplay and not even at the first gym. I’m enjoying exploring for now, and I would think half the gameplay is fighting, catching, and exploring the wild area. Why anybody would speed run Pokémon is beyond me.

Seems to me that the complaints were all spastic and not making an impact on the current gameplay experience I’m having. This, now in hindsight, screams of , “Play the game before freaking out”, which is exactly what I expected to happen with this. This game wasn’t going to fail.

I hope they expand on stuff, like I think it’s weird that characters mouths are moving but there’s no sound for example.

I think folks need to remember that this series is mainly directed at kids. Kids don’t care about a low quality tree, a shadow that cuts in awkwardly, or frames per second (which I haven’t noticed whatsoever in terms of frame drops). Kids want to have fun catching new monsters, or getting that one they like that isn’t as new.

I don’t know. I feel the complaints were over the top. But I also expected that this would happen, because that’s the way the internet is.
I’ve seen the game streamed and the problems in the game run much deeper than mediocre graphics or frame rates. People didn’t base their opinions on the first route. People who have finished the game have shared similar sentiments. This is a pretty dismissive way to talk about people who have legitimate grievances with the priorities of this game, the constraints of its development, and the developers’ refusal to address the fans’ concerns in a meaningful way.

People want better and know the series has been better in the past.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's lame. They really didn't do anything then all things considered. Just cause people can see the problems doesn't mean they'll actually change anything.
The point of the ending is the Phantom Thieves have shown the world the problems within it and have left it to them to fix those problems. They aren’t gods. To me that’s a much more meaningful resolution than a magical happily ever after. This how change has to happen in the real world.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I kinda burned out on the series back in gen 6, still not really interested in picking it up. I like a lot of the designs, but if I really want to mess around with the new Pokemon I can just play Showdown. Plus, why would I want to play a British Pokemon game in the first place? Living here in real life is a challenge enough.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh haha okay nice prank here's your like have good day ( '-')/
:240: no one to blame but yourself if you truly doubt me

Shroob Shroob is a scholar on my antics

I'm sorry for being able to empathize with fictional characters.
you're empathizing with animals who willingly choose to do this **** just cause capturing them equals obedience forever and ever

huh

i wonder if pokeballs do mind control or something

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I think folks need to remember that this series is mainly directed at kids. Kids don’t care about a low quality tree, a shadow that cuts in awkwardly, or frames per second (which I haven’t noticed whatsoever in terms of frame drops). Kids want to have fun catching new monsters, or getting that one they like that isn’t as new.

I don’t know. I feel the complaints were over the top. But I also expected that this would happen, because that’s the way the internet is.
Thats an awful excuse

"This game is ALLOWED to have problems because it's for kids!"

That kind of narrative is the reason 3D sonic games have been mediocre for the last decade.
Stop using that and just admit the game has issue's that people wont like.

D

Deleted member

Thats an awful excuse

"This game is ALLOWED to have problems because it's for kids!"

That kind of narrative is the reason 3D sonic games have been mediocre for the last decade.
Stop using that and just admit the game has issue's that people wont like.
I thought the reason Sonic games sucked was rushed development cycles and attemps to please every side of the fandom without success.

Besides that, I agree that the "it's for kids" argument is just plain awful.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, if this was any other series it would be one thing, but it's pokemon.

The game where you disown hundreds of babies until you make the perfect child.
That sounds horrible. Why would anyone do that and feel good about it?
The point of the ending is the Phantom Thieves have shown the world the problems within it and have left it to them to fix those problems. They aren’t gods. To me that’s a much more meaningful resolution than a magical happily ever after. This how change has to happen in the real world.
I had a response to this. But I deleted it before I posted because it was just me venting. And usually when I vent it just starts an argument.
I hate when other people are right too.
I hate always being wrong. No matter what I do I'm just wrong and I either have to change who I am or just continue to never get anything that I like or could help me.

I wish there was some kind of search engine for online communities. Just type in a thing you like and it takes you to the people who also like it.

Shroob

Sup?

I had a response to this. But I deleted it before I posted because it was just me venting. And usually when I vent it just starts an argument.

I hate always being wrong. No matter what I do I'm just wrong and I either have to change who I am or just continue to never get anything that I like or could help me.

I wish there was some kind of search engine for online communities. Just type in a thing you like and it takes you to the people who also like it.
Well

IVs

For one thing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Cause Pokemon is **** fighting but the roosters like it and love you alongside no actual murder

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
My thing with SwSh is I told myself in the build up to them 'okay the dex cuts are poop and the visuals aren't exactly stunning' but I still thought I could enjoy it if the new Pokemon were cool, there was a lot of new stuff to do and there were difficulty options which allowed it to be more challenging than normal. Maybe I was being naive but I still felt disappointed that only one of the three met expectations (props to James Turner)

I think I'm just salty that the Battle Frontier is never coming back

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ve seen the game streamed and the problems in the game run much deeper than mediocre graphics or frame rates. People didn’t base their opinions on the first route. People who have finished the game have shared similar sentiments. This is a pretty dismissive way to talk about people who have legitimate grievances with the priorities of this game, the constraints of its development, and the developers’ refusal to address the fans’ concerns in a meaningful way.

People want better and know the series has been better in the past.
I mean, I did say they were my first impressions. If things turn out poorly later, I’ll make note of it.

I also never said people couldn’t “expect more” out of the games, but it also seems as though folks in the community don’t want to have positives considered with the game. As in, if something is cool, like the Wild area, or if somebody thinks it’s cool, it turns into, “Well you just have simple tastes, instead of wanting the most pristine of wishlists”. That kind of attitude gets irritating.

I don’t even think the games are perfect. I already stated that the lack of voice acting feels weird (and that, to me, is a natural next step for the series), and that Nat Dex is something I will miss. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I’m more miffed about it later when I want the more competitive elements.

I think the thing I’m struggling with is the extremes of negativity. It some parts of the internet, you get shamed for wanting to buy the game. You get shamed for thinking something in Sword & Shield is good, or, dare I say, a step in the right direction.

Media is hit all the time with throwing the baby out with the bath water. Sword & Shield is just one game in a collection of many. While there are things that could make Sword & Shield perfect as a Pokémon game, it still has qualities that make it a good, fun game in its own right. It can be appreciated despite its flaws.

But that’s me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My thing with SwSh is I told myself in the build up to them 'okay the dex cuts are poop and the visuals aren't exactly stunning' but I still thought I could enjoy it if the new Pokemon were cool, there was a lot of new stuff to do and there were difficulty options which allowed it to be more challenging than normal. Maybe I was being naive but I still felt disappointed that only one of the three met expectations (props to James Turner)

I think I'm just salty that the Battle Frontier is never coming back
For real despite how I'm likely to never buy a Pokemon game unless there's some big changes, Turner's been an absolute champ with all these designs

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I thought the reason Sonic games sucked was rushed development cycles and attemps to please every side of the fandom without success.

lizuka mentioned that Forces was made in mind for kids while Mania was for hardcore older players.
That kind of thinking is one of the reasons why sonic games are the way they are now.

People tend to forget that mostly EVERYTHING in media was made for kids to buy toys and merchandise

Batman, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Every Shonen anime, every comic book character, etc
That doesnt mean you should half-a** your work, your suppose to be giving children the BEST of the BEST.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Cause Pokemon is **** fighting but the roosters like it and love you alongside no actual murder
So basically in order to be good at pokemon you have to practice animal cruelty. It's not about making friends and growing stronger as you journey together like it says it is.

I think that's why I was so attracted to playing Pokemon this gen. I wanted a friend. I try but the people I meet on Campus are really just tolerating my presence. They're friendly towards me, but it's not like they'd miss me when I'm gone. Same with most of my old friends from highschool.

I can't even have a pet on campus to take care of without spending hundreds of dollars on registering them as an emotional support animal.

D

Deleted member

lizuka mentioned that Forces was made in mind for kids while Mania was for hardcore older players.
That kind of thinking is one of the reasons why sonic games are the way they are now.

People tend to forget that mostly EVERYTHING in media was made for kids to buy toys and merchandise

Batman, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Every Shonen anime, every comic book character, etc
That doesnt mean you should half-a** your work, your suppose to be giving children the BEST of the BEST.
Oh, now I get your Sonic comment.

It is all cool then.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Also concerning Sonic 06 in particular wasn't a certain amount of the team pulled to work on Sonic and the Secret Rings?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Alright, my first impressions on Pokémon Sword.

1) Nobody buys Pokémon for the visuals, and to be completely honest I think this first few hours of gameplay has me ignoring the haters at this point. Yeah, the trees are lower quality than maybe what people wanted. I don’t care. I get to run around in an area that feels actually lived in.

2) Exp thing is nice, and in my humble opinion shows the removal of tedium that Pokémon has always had. Granted, I think it’s not asking a lot for it to be turned off for those who seek a challenge, but I think it’s a good addition. However, the only negative is that I’m at the first city and I feel overleveled.

3) The dude who complained about length of the game...I’m at 2-3 hours of gameplay and not even at the first gym. I’m enjoying exploring for now, and I would think half the gameplay is fighting, catching, and exploring the wild area. Why anybody would speed run Pokémon is beyond me.

Seems to me that the complaints were all spastic and not making an impact on the current gameplay experience I’m having. This, now in hindsight, screams of , “Play the game before freaking out”, which is exactly what I expected to happen with this. This game wasn’t going to fail.

I hope they expand on stuff, like I think it’s weird that characters mouths are moving but there’s no sound for example.

>Using the “Pokemon is for kids!” argument

Sorry, but that is where I stopped reading your post.

Yeah, maybe it is aimed at kids. But so is the entire Mario series. And not only did they polish Odyssey to triple AAA, bug free quality, but they deliberately went out of there way to make decisions that they knew VERY WELL would absolutely please the hardcore fanbase. Sure, it may still be “a kids game”. But they went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. And come to think of it, you could throw in Smash or even Zelda into this same category. Technically aimed at kids, but still put in triple AAA quality into those games, and made decisions to please fans who were asking for them for years.

There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If Mario can get that treatment, despite being a “kids game”, we have every right to ask for Gamefreak to give the same love, care, and polish to Pokemon

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So basically in order to be good at pokemon you have to practice animal cruelty. It's not about making friends and growing stronger as you journey together like it says it is.

I think that's why I was so attracted to playing Pokemon this gen. I wanted a friend. I try but the people I meet on Campus are really just tolerating my presence. They're friendly towards me, but it's not like they'd miss me when I'm gone. Same with most of my old friends from highschool.

I can't even have a pet on campus to take care of without spending hundreds of dollars on registering them as an emotional support animal.
Oh it purely depends on what player you are. You want to be the very best like no one ever was? Use your favourites or the ones you jusy find along the way to beat the Champion. Want to be even better? Learn about the meta, theorycraft strategies, balance your strategies and get those asshole IVs and natures alongside possible egg moves and abilities. Both of these are valid and others like Nuzlockes which are partially done for challenge and partially for trying something you wouldn't normally do are valid. The best thing about Pokemon is that the games are made so that there's not really a wrong way to play casually

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Also concerning Sonic 06 in particular wasn't a certain amount of the team pulled to work on Sonic and the Secret Rings?
Sonic 06 dev hell situation came from that plus the amount Sonic Team employees dead tired of making sonic games every year and Naka leaving the company during development.
sonicteam2006.PNG

This was back in 2006 however, the issue with current sonic games is much different from this

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
jesus guys i think mr. hahn over here gets the point of why he shouldnt have said its for kids

we dont gotta teach the teacher 10 times over :drflip: 2 or 3 i understand but he's already dead, man

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh it purely depends on what player you are. You want to be the very best like no one ever was? Use your favourites or the ones you jusy find along the way to beat the Champion. Want to be even better? Learn about the meta, theorycraft strategies, balance your strategies and get those asshole IVs and natures alongside possible egg moves and abilities. Both of these are valid and others like Nuzlockes which are partially done for challenge and partially for trying something you wouldn't normally do are valid. The best thing about Pokemon is that the games are made so that there's not really a wrong way to play casually
Unless you do gen 1 Magikarp only.

That **** is literally impossible due to Lavender Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom