• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Guess he really, REALLY likes SNK.
Honestly? I can see this. Beating the pants off of some poor guy on his date in KoF inspired Sakurai to create an accessible fighting game. And, allowing myself to speculate for a second, I have no doubt that Sakurai was probably inspired by SNK fighting games like KoF and Fatal Fury/Real Bout for the basic core of Smash's gameplay. Defensive options (background/foreground shifting, standing dodges, and rolls), movement (short hops, full hops, and runs/dashes), and the Real Bout series' infamous trap stages that lead to auto-KOs if you broke down barriers in the corner (leading to essentially ring-outs). Smash has very, very similar mechanics and analogues to all of these things, and I don't think it's a coincidence.

I for one am looking forward to him geeking out, lol

Smooth Criminal

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay, I get that Sakurai could....gush a lot or rant or ramble a lot, but doesn't Nintendo have an editing team for a reason? You can edit out unnecessary info. Lol.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay, I get that Sakurai could....gush a lot or rant or ramble a lot, but doesn't Nintendo have an editing team for a reason? You can edit out unnecessary info. Lol.
That's assuming there's unnecessary info in the 45 minutes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's assuming there's unnecessary info in the 45 minutes.
True, but if it's just him waxing his love for SNK or Fatal Fury or KoF or something? That's not really necessary info. I mean he could just give long winded explanations of everything I suppose.

Shroob

Sup?
Last post today where I ***** about SwSd I promise but

God, it's ****ing surreal looking at how USUM were handled compared to this game. And I don't mean from a gameplay perspective, I mean from a marketing perspective.

This video recently was taken down off the Pokemon's JP channel from what I've heard(How suspicious), and it was a Japanese commercial where the whole premise was "All those Pokemon you have memories of from years ago? You'll get to be with them in USUM, no Pokemon left behind!"

.......and now fast forward to SwSd and 60.6% of the Dex is just.... gone, lol

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Okay but like

How often do we get a snapshot of Sakurai as a person who loves the hell out of video games outside of his (dryly-written, though most of that is probably the barebones translation) Famitsu columns? Doesn't that interest you at all?

Smooth Criminal

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay but like

How often do we get a snapshot of Sakurai as a person who loves the hell out of video games outside of his (dryly-written, though most of that is probably the barebones translation) Famitsu columns? Doesn't that interest you at all?

Smooth Criminal
To a degree yes, I love to see people's personalities.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Sakurai is going to present the entire video while talking Engrish, because he is that big of a fan of SNK & Terry.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The one thing that makes me feel like we could get something is that it's a live stream, if there really isn't anything outside of Terry and some Mii Costumes then I feel like they'd just have dropped it on Youtube like they did with Hero's presentation. That doesn't necessarily mean a character, I'm going to take Nintendo's word for it and expect that we won't get any info on #5 (which we'll probably have to wait until the TGA for now, shrugs), but there could be something else of enough interest that they don't just want to drop it in a Youtube video. What that could be, I have no idea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ya know the more I think about it the more I see doom as a vga reveal again.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ugh if we must wait another month...-_-

I would had thought they'd not do another VGA given that was last minute.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ugh if we must wait another month...-_-

I would had thought they'd not do another VGA given that was last minute.
My dude we're getting a character come out tomorrow with a ****ton of content coming with him. A character we know nearly nothing about even, this is dangerously close to "That's it? No Smash?" Levels

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I’m sorry but I just don’t believe that. These things are still edited. If he kept going off script then why not just cut those parts out and have it be shorter?
Why did we have the Sad Soul segment in the Banjo presentation? Why did we have a bunch of trivia that never mattered? It's going to include the offscript ramblings because it's relevant to Terry and his inclusion

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
My dude we're getting a character come out tomorrow with a ****ton of content coming with him. A character we know nearly nothing about even, this is dangerously close to "That's it? No Smash?" Levels
We’re sick of the drip feed. Sakurai and Nintendo just don’t know how to do DLC and reveals because they think radio silence for months on end is an effective way of building hype.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai is someone who loves to show off his work, and he can be VERY thorough because of that.

I don't think we're getting anything relevant to Fighter #5 or post-pass, and I guarantee you Sakurai can pull 45 minutes of material from just Terry if he wanted to.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here are the many variations of cool and good: (What i like or dislike.)
Below 0 and ultimately awesome
Absolute zero and truly magnificent
Subzero and blissful
Antarctica temperature and spectacular
Freezing and excellent
Cold and great
showing no friendliness toward a person or enthusiasm for an idea or project, and desired or approved of
Room temperature and adequate
Lukewarm and unsatisfactory
Warm and bad
Hot and awful
Scorching and terrible
Blazing and horrendous
Infernal and absolutely horrific

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We’re sick of the drip feed. Sakurai and Nintendo just don’t know how to do DLC and reveals because they think radio silence for months on end is an effective way of building hype.
I mean, that's how Namco does DLC too iirc, the only real issue I had with Terry's reveal is no gameplay shown 2 months ago meaning we have **** all

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why did we have the Sad Soul segment in the Banjo presentation? Why did we have a bunch of trivia that never mattered? It's going to include the offscript ramblings because it's relevant to Terry and his inclusion
That was going over the stage and it’s cameos. Seeing those characters all pretty in HD meant the world to Banjo fans. Of course they were gonna show it off. Terry isn’t like that. Even if the stage does have a lot of cameos, KoF isn’t a dead franchise. We just got a new entry a few years ago.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Who is "we"?

Some of us have a life outside of Smash and doesn't need constant reveals just to stay sane.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, we got Terry info coming tommorow, and that sure is a new fighter.
I’m with Mike on this. This silence is abnormal. And if it were any other fighting game I’d have forgotten about it by now. That’s what happened with Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur 6 without either a consistent known release schedule or announcements before the pass launches. I’ve only stuck on this because it’s freakin Smash Bros.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That was going over the stage and it’s cameos. Seeing those characters all pretty in HD meant the world to Banjo fans. Of course they were gonna show it off. Terry isn’t like that. Even if the stage does have a lot of cameos, KoF isn’t a dead franchise. We just got a new entry a few years ago.
Unpopular opinion but "dead franchises deserve special treatment for being dead" is the worst take I've ever seen.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I’m with Mike on this. This silence is abnormal. And if it were any other fighting game I’d have forgotten about it by now. That’s what happened with Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur 6 without either a consistent known release schedule or announcements before the pass launches. I’ve only stuck on this because it’s freakin Smash Bros.
It seems rather clear to me that Nintendo is just trying to space things out, and not release a rushed, unfinished character, or show one off. You can wait. You’ve waited for every other reveal, and this is no different. I’d suggest taking it easier.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinion but "dead franchises deserve special treatment for being dead" is the worst take I've ever seen.
You wouldn’t be super excited if a franchise you loved that had been functionally dead for nearly 20 years was getting all this fan service and attention in the same way as giants who’ve managed to stick around? You wouldn’t want to see that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom