• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I guess that’s your right. But I can’t help but think there were better ideas
seriously. A big gorilla with a drum is the same thing we all came up with day one. It should take us longer than a day to correctly guess the evolution.

And even then. There were still better ways to do the “drumming gorilla” thing then THAT. That thing is not a friend. It’s not a partner for a grand adventure. That thing is a monster that will kill you the second it escaped its evolution orb.
This might come as a surprise but the "mon" in Pokémon stands for Monster.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I guess that’s your right. But I can’t help but think there were better ideas
seriously. A big gorilla with a drum is the same thing we all came up with day one. It should take us longer than a day to correctly guess the evolution.

And even then. There were still better ways to do the “drumming gorilla” thing then THAT. That thing is not a friend. It’s not a partner for a grand adventure. That thing is a monster that will kill you the second it escapes its evolution orb.
Surely being able to guess what the final evolution looks like from the first stage is a good thing? It shows a cohesiveness in the design and characteristics of each stage and suggests a natural progression in terms of evolution.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So, this character is from a story that’s kinda a mix of a lot of things, including horror.

I just got sent a new image.

Holy crap.
You allowed to share this or? Very curious.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Surely being able to guess what the final evolution looks like from the first stage is a good thing? It shows a cohesiveness in the design and characteristics of each stage and suggests a natural progression in terms
There are hundreds of other types of monkeys. And there are hundreds of things you can do with a stick, even sticking to percussive instruments. It’s a big dumb gorilla because “gorillas are strong and so are final evolutions” and it’s got a drum because “you band drums with sticks”. There are still ways of having a cohesive design process without being boring and predictable.

You said you disliked that it "looked like a monster." They're supposed to be monsters.
Look. Can I just be allowed to not like it? Grookey was my favorite of the three starters apon reveal. Something about it just clicked with me. Even before I read any wild theories about its potential evolutions. And Rillaboom has none of what I liked in Grookey. I wish it had been able to keep some of that.

Like, seriously. How is the idea of a British punk rock drummer monkey girl not more appealing then “big gorilla with single drum”.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
That thing is not a friend. It’s not a partner for a grand adventure. That thing is a monster that will kill you the second it escapes its evolution orb.
To be fair, that was never stated. After all, if anything tells you to not judge things by how they look it’s Pokémon Charizard looks pretty scary, but he’s one of the most loyal Pokémon out there, while Drifloon is cute, and it abducts kids.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are hundreds of other types of monkeys. And there are hundreds of things you can do with a stick, even sticking to percussive instruments. It’s a big dumb gorilla because “gorillas are strong and so are final evolutions” and it’s got a drum because “you band drums with sticks”. There are still ways of having a cohesive design process without being boring and predictable.

Look. Can I just be allowed to not like it? Grookey was my favorite of the three starters apon reveal. Something about it just clicked with me. Even before I read any wild theories about its potential evolutions. And Rillaboom has none of what I liked in Grookey. I wish it had been able to keep some of that.

Like, seriously. How is the idea of a British punk rock drummer monkey girl not more appealing then “big gorilla with single drum”.
How would you even gender code a gorilla without needlessly sexualizing it? The only major difference is the size of the head and the presence of a silver back...and we've only seen Rillaboom from the front.

Nobody is saying you aren't allowed to dislike it. But how can you NOT expect pushback when you say **** like "I wish I could go back in time and prevent these abominations from existing," given how extreme it is?

D

Deleted member

The current state of Smashboards.

[insert pokemon thing here]

D

Deleted member

[insert JDCabrera talking about Godzilla, Marvel, LEGO and support for other users here]

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

insert bamboozle here

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For those who've looked, which of the starters has your favorite final evo?

For me, it's Scorbunny. I'm a little sad though because it seems like a lot of people don't like it at all. Maybe it's just their initial reaction talking, just like how people hated the other two at first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me, it's Scorbunny. I'm a little sad though because it seems like a lot of people don't like it at all. Maybe it's just they're initial reaction talking, just like how people hated the other two at first.
I am really indifferent.

I like the three evolutions almost equally to one another.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
In other news, I just saw Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark last night.

Has anyone else here seen it? I've never read the books but, as a fan of the Horror genre, I have to say that those were some of the most freaking disturbing monsters I've ever seen in film or any form of media.

D

Deleted member

Making an animation for my friends birthday.

It’s going to be someone giving him a birthday present, he opens it, and anime is inside.

He hates anime.

EDIT: It’s a joke anime ruined his last birthday, he doesn’t actually hate it. I’m not that evil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

For me, it's Scorbunny. I'm a little sad though because it seems like a lot of people don't like it at all. Maybe it's just they're initial reaction talking, just like how people hated the other two at first.
Cinderace looks awesome. Easily my favorite. It’s simple, but effective.

D

Deleted member

Has anyone else here seen it? I've never read the books but, as a fan of the Horror genre, I have to say that those were some of the most freaking disturbing monsters I've ever seen in film or any form of media.
I’m not a horror guy, tbh.

Making an animation for my friends birthday.

It’s going to be someone giving him a birthday present, he opens it, and anime is inside.

He hates anime.
Sounds like a fun and innocent joke!

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

For me, it's Scorbunny. I'm a little sad though because it seems like a lot of people don't like it at all. Maybe it's just their initial reaction talking, just like how people hated the other two at first.
Grookey. I've been Team Scorbunny since day one, and I do love Scorbunny's final evolution, but Grookey's became one of my favorite starter designs in general.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

*Raises hand*

I seen it at the end of August with my friend in an double feature with Ready or Not.

To say the least I enjoyed it. Pretty much what the Goosebumps movie should had been. Not a movie I'll get right away once coming out on disc but eventually at some point once the price goes down.

Definitely a movie I'll be watching for Halloween every year whenever I can.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, that was never stated. After all, if anything tells you to not judge things by how they look it’s Pokémon Charizard looks pretty scary, but he’s one of the most loyal Pokémon out there, while Drifloon is cute, and it abducts kids.
Fair point. I don’t know how it acts. But I do know that if I were a trainer in the Pokémon world, and I didn’t know anything about the path of evolution of my starter, and that thing popped out. I’d run away scared.
How would you even gender code a gorilla without needlessly sexualizing it? The only major difference is the size of the head and the presence of a silver back...and we've only seen Rillaboom from the front.

Nobody is saying you aren't allowed to dislike it. But how can you NOT expect pushback when you say **** like "I wish I could go back in time and prevent these abominations from existing," given how extreme it is?
ok. You know there are gender signifiers that go beyond the presence of sexualization, Right? We’re in a fantasy world here.

I don’t know what I expect. I just know how I feel about it.

But whatever. Sword and Sheild is clearly not for me. It’s the most popular media franchise in the world but only a handful of designs appeal to anything other than little boys. That’s just how it works and I shouldn’t have expected more.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Scorbunny's but I think all of them are decent at worst.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

i don’t think I even need to say how I feel.
one is ugly, one is boring, and one’s a betrayal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fair point. I don’t know how it acts. But I do know that if I were a trainer in the Pokémon world, and I didn’t know anything about the path of evolution of my starter, and that thing popped out. I’d run away scared.

ok. You know there are gender signifiers that go beyond the presence of sexualization, Right? We’re in a fantasy world here.

But whatever. Sword and Sheild is clearly not for me. It’s the most popular media franchise in the world but only a handful of designs appeal to anything other than little boys. That’s just how it works and I shouldn’t have expected more.
There you go insulting people who like what you don't again.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm a grown-ass guy but I still loved Alcremie, Wooloo and Galarian Ponyta.

I think you're overgeneralizing here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom