• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pretty sure the uploader blew itself up again

also I haven’t played either but isn’t Roy in both games of blazing and binding bade?
Blazing Blade has a cameo of him as a child as it's a prequel, he only appears at the end as that's when Eliwood settles down

Also Pokemon anime is bad actually

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't even understand why either side is complaining about cartoony characters and anime characters when Ultimate has been pretty even so far.

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:
:ultchrom::ultken::ultjoker::ulthero:Terry

I'm not really sure where :ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus: fall, but they wouldn't change much anyways.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't even understand why either side is complaining about cartoony characters and anime characters when Ultimate has been pretty even so far.

:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:

I'm not really sure where :ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus: fall, but they wouldn't change much anyways.
Because what I like is good and what others like is bad. And I feel the need to assert my superiority.

D

Deleted member

Those four fall in the Metroidvania cathegory.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

The solution? Realistically designed human character! I’ve always wondered how Sakurai would handle a design like that.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Or cartoony punchy dudes who we have just as much of as 'aneem swooerds', if not more
If you wanna be fair, those cartoony characters tend to have more varied movesets, whereas most of the "anime swordsmen" use their swords for almost every move. Like, Pac-Man has punches and kicks but can also summon the ghosts and use fruit, Wario can use his shoulder bash and his motorcycle, etc. I'd imagine that's why the swordfighters get hated on more.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Can you believe were already through half of October? November nears every day and the closer we get to the final DLC fighter for this pass.
October's been a funny month so far.

Literally 99% of the population: October's back, which means halloween and trick or treating and pumpkin spice are back <3
Me, a weirdo: NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE IS BACK YEET

I do like how the weather's cooling down though. Wearing long sleeves feels really comfy in the evenings. When we reach November perhaps it'll be time to swap over to long sleeve full time until April and whatnot.

D

Deleted member

If you wanna be fair, those cartoony characters tend to have more varied movesets, whereas most of the "anime swordsmen" use their swords for almost every move. Like, Pac-Man has punches and kicks but can also summon the ghosts and use fruit, Wario can use his shoulder bash and his motorcycle, etc. I'd imagine that's why the swordfighters get hated on more.
My problem relies mostly on the people who apply the "too human" or "too lacking for a moveset" with characters such as Pauline who do actually have a moveset potential and fit well enough.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You say that but when say, Cloud has more unique moves than a cartoon punchy, they still complain. They just hate swordfighters because they hate everything that isn't exactly what they want

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
That being said, I do think there are still good options for Zelda characters, in an area that is currently untapped in Smash. While Zelda doesn't have many recurring characters, it does have recurring races. We've gotten Hylians (Link, Link, Link, and Zelda), Sheikah (Sheik), and Gerudo (Ganondorf), but we've yet to get any Gorons or Zora. The general Goron and Zora body types are things that aren't really seen in Smash, after all, and the natural abilities of those races work really well in moveset theory crafting. Yeah, Daruk and Darunia may not be recurring, but Gorons are. Mipha and Ruto may be one offs, but the Zora themselves aren't.
This is my biggest gri_e with how Zelda currently stands on the roster right now: not numbers of fighters or however long it's been since the last one, but that the current selection doesn't do justice to the series; you wouldn't be blamed for thinking that the series was mostly blonde elf _eo_le when it's 2 and 3 variations of the same characters

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is my biggest gri_e with how Zelda currently stands on the roster right now: not numbers of fighters or however long it's been since the last one, but that the current selection doesn't do justice to the series; you wouldn't be blamed for thinking that the series was mostly blonde elf people when it's 2 and 3 variations of the same characters
You forgot the P’s in people ;)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You say that but when say, Cloud has more unique moves than a cartoon punchy, they still complain. They just hate swordfighters because they hate everything that isn't exactly what they want
I don’t know where you were, but I saw nothing but happiness when Cloud got announced. Everyone was flipping out about how he changed the very idea of Smash eligibility as we knew it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The solution? Realistically designed human character! I’ve always wondered how Sakurai would handle a design like that.
We already have Snake.

That doesn't explain why people hate on Corrin's moveset.

Noipoi

Howdy!
We already have Snake.

Do people hate Corrin’s moveset? I never saw that.

I just thought people hated Corrin herself. Both because of Fates and because she’s another fremblem.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's circumstantial. While I will admit that I have more faith in cartoony characters being unique than swordfighters, that's not a hard rule. Robin is more unique than Isabelle.

But I don't think you can really get mad at someone for complaining about the Smash attacks and aerials of swordfighters being too similar. If you plan on using a sword for an attack, you're kinda limited to how unique you can make said attack. Even Sakurai himself voiced having a difficulty with making swordfighters feel unique.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We already have Snake.

Snake is primarily based on his MGS1-3 look. While the series did take on a more realistic look as it went on, those first three games are still anime. Very grounded anime, but not as realistic as something like Uncharted or The Last of Us.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do people hate Corrin’s moveset? I never saw that.

I just thought people hated Corrin herself. Both because of Fates and because she’s another fremblem.
There are a lot of "they use a sword, so their unique moves doesn't count" arguments.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Snake is primarily based on his MGS1-3 look. While the series did take on a more realistic look as it went on, those first three games are still anime. Very grounded anime, but not as realistic as something like Uncharted or The Last of Us.
"Anime"? I'm pretty sure they all use 3D models, and pretty realistic ones on top of that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don’t know where you were, but I saw nothing but happiness when Cloud got announced. Everyone was flipping out about how he changed the very idea of Smash eligibility as we knew it.
Then you certainly didn't see how many people whined he looked too similar to Ike or that he's too anime and that we should have gotten a cartoony SE character
It's circumstantial. While I will admit that I have more faith in cartoony characters being unique than swordfighters, that's not a hard rule. Robin is more unique than Isabelle.

But I don't think you can really get mad at someone for complaining about the Smash attacks and aerials of swordfighters being too similar. If you plan on using a sword for an attack, you're kinda limited to how unique you can make it. Even Sakurai himself voiced having a difficulty with making swordfighters feel unique.
*looks at all the sword fighting styles completely absent in Smash as Smash generally uses finesse sword moves or generic slashes alongside the fact games like Guilty Gear or SamSho make their swordies extremely different with said styles*
Sure, Jan

D

Deleted member

The Smash Fandom has been debating for months if Waluigi could get a Fighter moveset to the point that not even Smash Flash 2 could cease the debates by adding Waluigi to their roster.

And at the same time, the Smash fandom refuses to believe for the most part that Pauline has appeared outside Mario Odyssey and the DK arcade to believe she lacks moveset potential. Sometimes extending themselves to claim she is too human-like for a Switch port of 3D World.

Mario characters live in a society where they are oppressed.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
To be fair, I do really wish so many characters didn’t have counters. Even characters like King K. Rool and Joker. I can never get the timing right so it’s basically “strike a pose”. Wish they had actual... attacks.
The whole point of a counter is that they're for when you read what the opponent does and punish them accordingly.
They're pretty common in fighting games as a whole.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Blazing Blade has a cameo of him as a child as it's a prequel, he only appears at the end as that's when Eliwood settles down

Also Pokemon anime is bad actually
That’s what I thought it was like since I knew one was eliwoods story. So I would say that kind of counts too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom