• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Poison I get, that's an inhumane way to kill someone (though there aren't many humane ways to go about that), but is wearing enemy uniforms to invade enemy territory a war crime due to it being a disturbance to civilians who cannot know to flee ahead of time as a result of the deceit? What's the reasoning for it exactly?
Basically perfidy.

Geneva Conventions article 39 states, "It is prohibited to make use of the flags or military emblems, insignia or uniforms of adverse Parties while engaging in attacks or to shield, favour, protect or impede military operations."

By disguising themselves as Imperial soldiers to gain access to Fort Merceus under the guise of a peaceful meeting (the sending of Imperial reinforcements) to launch a surprise attack, Byleth and Claude basically commit perfidy.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Basically perfidy.

Geneva Conventions article 39 states, "It is prohibited to make use of the flags or military emblems, insignia or uniforms of adverse Parties while engaging in attacks or to shield, favour, protect or impede military operations."

By disguising themselves as Imperial soldiers to gain access to Fort Merceus under the guise of a peaceful meeting (the sending of Imperial reinforcements) to launch a surprise attack, Byleth and Claude basically commit perfidy.
Damn. Weird to think a common trope in media is a war crime. I get it though.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
always thought it was kinda weird that war has rules, like its a game or something

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Whoever the last DLC character is, it's not gonna be someone frequently brought up in conversation.

To date, Banjo has been the only DLC character who a lot of people expected without the aid of a leaker. Practically no one brought up Corrin, Cloud, PP, Joker, or Terry, people only took Ryu and Hero seriously after a leak, and Bayo was occasionally mentioned here and there.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
always thought it was kinda weird that war has rules, like its a game or something
1700s gun warfare was basically one big turn-based RPG.

im serious, look up how britain did that ****

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Earlier this month I bought The King of Fighters '98 on the Switch for reasons you can probably guess why.

While fun, I'm disappointed that the game's intro lacks the singing like in this video:

Does anyone know why?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whoever the last DLC character is, it's not gonna be someone frequently brought up in conversation.

To date, Banjo has been the only DLC character who a lot of people expected without the aid of a leaker. Practically no one brought up Corrin, Cloud, PP, Joker, or Terry, people only took Ryu and Hero seriously after a leak, and Bayo was occasionally mentioned here and there.
Didn't people expect an Dragon Quest character given leaks by Vergeben (Finally said it right).

That said I'll probably agree. The only question who?

I could see an Dark Souls rep being pulled off especially being Namco.

Others that comes to mind are Agumon, Tracer and Ryu Hayabusa (Not brought up that often to my knowledge).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Didn't people expect an Dragon Quest character given leaks by Vergeben (Finally said it right).

That said I'll probably agree. The only question who?

I could see an Dark Souls rep being pulled off especially being Namco.

Others that comes to mind are Agumon, Tracer and Ryu Hayabusa (Not brought up that often to my knowledge).
Tekken. Nobody expects it at all, partly because he has previously said it wouldn't work.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

So you are saying Layton is for sure a character

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's also Katalina or Reimu to consider the least. No one would expect them as the final reveal of this pass.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tekken. Nobody expects it at all, partly because he has previously said it wouldn't work.
Sakurai? I remember him saying adapting Tekken's play style to Smash would be hard, not it "wouldn't work".

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
It's not that no one expected him. It's that no one wanted to accept the truth.

My only issue with Porky is how would he fight? I know that Ridley basically disproved this argument, but Porky's Bed Mecha is huge. It seems like it would be a bit akward as a smash fighter but eh, we'll see. Of course I still want him, or any new Earthbound/Mother rep.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the biggest surprise tbh would be a character who’s currently a Spirit. Like Rayman, Elma, Geno, Bandana Dee, Black Shadow, Shantae or Octoling. With the announcement of more DLC after the pass people are entertaining the idea that Spirits might not necessarily disconfirm, but they’re still not expected to be a pass character per se. THAT would if you ask me blow expectations out of the water, especially since the way the post pass DLC announcement was worded, makes me think this’ll be the only self contained “season pass” and future DLC will be individual.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think the biggest surprise tbh would be a character who’s currently a Spirit. Like Rayman, Elma, Geno, Bandana Dee, Black Shadow, Shantae or Octoling. With the announcement of more DLC after the pass people are entertaining the idea that Spirits might not necessarily disconfirm, but they’re still not expected to be a pass character per se. THAT would if you ask me blow expectations out of the water, especially since the way the post pass DLC announcement was worded, makes me think this’ll be the only self contained “season pass” and future DLC will be individual.
Nintendo: confirms more dlc
Rie: there's basically not gonna be any more dlc

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since the announcement of more DLC though people are on full agreement that Spirits don't deconfirm. Don't expect DLC fighter 5 to be an character already an Spirit but definitely beyond the Pass.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
hype check, whos excited for dqxi
I'm definitely looking forward to it, especially after that roughly 10 hour demo - I'm just not sure if I should play Dragon Quest 1 and/or 3 first (from what I've heard, there are a lot of references to the first three games, even if they're minor ones, and Dragon Quest 1 shouldn't take long to complete).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo: confirms more dlc
Rie: there's basically not gonna be any more dlc
That’s not what I’m saying but ok

I said that future DLC will likely be individually purchased instead of an automatic “season pass” model.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm definitely looking forward to it, especially after that roughly 10 hour demo - I'm just not sure if I should play Dragon Quest 1 and/or 3 first (from what I've heard, there are a lot of references to the first three games, even if they're minor ones, and Dragon Quest 1 shouldn't take long to complete).
I think you should be fine without playing DQ1 or DQ3 first, DQ1 is a bit archaic though. Still if you want to give DQ1 a try, it is relatively short for JRPG standards nowadays. DQ3 is quite fun with the class system so it is worth a try before or after XI.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to watch a few James Bond movies today - Skyfall, Moonraker, and maybe one other one (Thunderball? All I really know is that it has scuba diving, one of the most-parodied Bond villains, and a top tier Bond theme). Of the three of them, I've only seen Skyfall, but it's been a while.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That’s not what I’m saying but ok

I said that future DLC will likely be individually purchased instead of an automatic “season pass” model.
Oh.

Sorry. I misinterpreted.

I really hope that's not true though. I like the season pass. I'm gonna buy them all anyway, and it gives you a discount without having to wait for everything to be out like with Smash4 (that was so frustrating my god, like, Nintendo, I know you think stuff like that is dumb and predatory but it's actually the best option for the consumer. If there is GOING to be a "pass" anyway, let people buy it right away so they can get the discount AND get everything as it releases.)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My only issue with Porky is how would he fight? I know that Ridley basically disproved this argument, but Porky's Bed Mecha is huge. It seems like it would be a bit akward as a smash fighter but eh, we'll see. Of course I still want him, or any new Earthbound/Mother rep.
Porky’s bed mech really isn’t much bigger than Bowser or Ridley, it’s about the same height. It was just upscaled for Brawl and his Smash 4 trophy. It may need to be shrunk just a bit, but Porky would still have room. The original bed mech didn’t have a capsule, Porky just lay in it without anything holding him.

If they go with his EarthBound appearance, I can see them shrinking the spider mech somewhat easily while still keeping the same design, and having Porky himself at Ness’s size.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm going to watch a few James Bond movies today - Skyfall, Moonraker, and maybe one other one (Thunderball? All I really know is that it has scuba diving, one of the most-parodied Bond villains, and a top tier Bond theme). Of the three of them, I've only seen Skyfall, but it's been a while.
I still kind of wish James Bond's Goldeneye 007 incarnation was in Smash.

Imagine if he was just some weird outlier in Melee. Like, he was there, but no other non-gaming characters ever showed up in the series, and he made his triumphant return in Ultimate and we just have this weird legendary Super Spy in Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They could use his spider mech from Earthbound, or a combination of the two.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm honestly not too anxious to know who's the 5th Fighters Pass character is.

I'm confident that the character will be a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom