• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Never got why Miyamoto suggested replacing the Kremlings for DKCR. It's not like Mario ever deals with a new main enemy in platformers, and K.Rool's gimmick is usually swapping outfits/personas so he's rarely(uh ha ha), doing the same exact thing. At least the Snomads in Tropical Freeze were pretty sick, so that's a new group of villains that actually worked out.
I'm part of the minority who liked the change.

I love Bowser, and while he's one of my favorite villains, his goals rarely deviate from kidnapping Peach and conquering the Mushroom Kingdom (or the universe, or the Sprixie Kingdom, etc). Odyssey was the most he's strayed from his normal plans in decades, and even then, it involved kidnapping Peach.

I actually appreciate the Tiki Tak tribe, and I loved the whole concept. The Snowmads weren't as interesting IMO, but I still liked them and their whole winter theme. King K. Rool mainly appeals to nostalgia, and while they can still add a few twists and turns with the Kremlings, the story just isn't as intriguing as it is with an entirely new cast of villains who we know nothing of. Not knowing much about the final boss is cool too, whereas you would already know exactly who it was if Kremlings were involved in any way.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I love Bowser, and while he's one of my favorite villains, his goals rarely deviate from kidnapping Peach and conquering the Mushroom Kingdom (or the universe, or the Sprixie Kingdom, etc). Odyssey was the most he's strayed from his normal plans in decades, and even then, it involved kidnapping Peach.

I actually appreciate the Tiki Tak tribe, and I loved the whole concept. The Snowmads weren't as interesting IMO, but I still liked them and their whole winter theme. King K. Rool mainly appeals to nostalgia, and while they can still add a few twists and turns with the Kremlings, the story just isn't as intriguing as it is with an entirely new cast of villains who we know nothing of. Not knowing much about the final boss is cool too, whereas you would already know exactly who it was if Kremlings were involved in any way.
That's a jalapeno hot take if I've ever seen one.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Ok. But what if Bowser was just dropped? Forever. Wouldn't that feel wrong?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I definitely disagree with this sentiment.

Sure, K.Rool is in large part to nostalgia, I won't deny, but he also has something that the other 2 lack.

Actual character development.

The snowmads and Tiki Tak have only ever appeared in one game; they're basically blank slates, and it doesn't help at all that their leaders are basically big bads with 0 dialogue.

K.Rool's not only talked in game, but he's had a 'lot' of games to build up what kind of creature he is.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Sure, K.Rool is in large part to nostalgia, I won't deny, but he also has something that the other 2 lack.

The snowmads and Tiki Tak have only ever appeared in one game; they're basically blank slates, and it doesn't help at all that their leaders are basically big bads with 0 dialogue.

K.Rool's not only talked in game, but he's had a 'lot' of games to build up what kind of creature he is.
I do think it’d be cool to see K. Rool return for the next DKC game and we got to see more development out of him and the Kremlings. Like maybe he’s acquired some strong forces to combat the Kongs and do some visual storytelling by us getting to see in the levels what he’s been up to and how he acquired them

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I do think it’d be cool to see K. Rool return for the next DKC game and we got to see more development out of him and the Kremlings. Like maybe he’s acquired some strong forces to combat the Kongs and do some visual storytelling by us getting to see in the levels what he’s been up to and how he acquired them
What if there was an alternate campaign where you could PLAY as him after you beat the main story!

Shroob

Sup?
People underestimate how far character development goes.

We love Bowser. We love to hate Bowser, but we also love to love Bowser.

We've seen him as just a generic 'bad guy' in the early days, but he's developed into so much more sense, and that's memorable.

K.Rool's not at 'that' level yet, but he's definitely got a handful of development under his belt.

...Likewise, while I remember Lord Frederick, I couldn't tell you what Tiki Tong looks like at all.

Neither character really 'does' anything in their games, they're just shadowy end-bosses you fight and then they never show up again, with no real personality to themselves aside from "Boss".

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I liked the Tiki Tak Tribe's aesthetics and the whole musical instrument theme they had going for them.

As characters, they don't have too much going for them. I'd kind of like to see them incorporated into a future DKC nonetheless, that would give them a chance to get fleshed out more. Maybe as supporting villains? Allies to the Kremlings?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if a new dkc game is even coming any time soon. It's been so long.
Retro Studios is too busy fixing Metroid Prime 4 to have time for another DKC game, I'm afraid...
It's been 5 years since Tropical Freeze. They only started Metroid Prime LAST year. They have to have been up to SOMETHING for FIVE years.
As long as it has music comparable to the NES/Remake, sure.
Considering DuckTales is KNOWN for it's music, I'd be surprised if they didn't prioritize it. Maybe have Jake Kauffman work with Dominic Lewis (the composer from the Reboot?)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ok. But what if Bowser was just dropped? Forever. Wouldn't that feel wrong?
I doubt that'd ever happen. All I want is a new face for once. Heck, I'd even settle for the return of Wart. I'm just tired of Bowser, his son, and the Koopalings being used so frequently.

You're exaggerating how much character development matters in a DK game. Bringing back K. Rool doesn't mean we're getting an elaborate backstory with an evil scheme that's rooted in something deep. The most likely scenario is that he returns, steals the banana horde for whatever reason, and makes little to no interaction with the cast. In this case, he'd honestly be no different than the previous two villains. The only reason you'd think he was better is because of his past appearances, something the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads don't have.

Shroob

Sup?
I doubt that'd ever happen. All I want is a new face for once. Heck, I'd even settle for the return of Wart. I'm just tired of Bowser, his son, and the Koopalings being used so frequently.

You're exaggerating how much character development matters in a DK game. Bringing back K. Rool doesn't mean we're getting an elaborate backstory with an evil scheme that's rooted in something deep. The most likely scenario is that he returns, steals the banana horde for whatever reason, and makes little to no interaction with the cast. In this case, he'd honestly be no different than the previous two villains. The only reason you'd think he was better is because of his past appearances, something the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads don't have.
I mean...

To take this out of context a bit...

Aren't you one of the most staunch "I don't want characters I don't know, I want characters I do!" in regards to DLC

And you're advocating that "I don't want characters I know, I want something new!" in a game not Smash?

Bit hypocritical when looked at it this way, ain't it?:dr^_^:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Speaking of Lord Fredik:

I can tell you all from experience that there was a period in time where we speculated that this guy was actually King K. Rool in disguise. I was there for it.

(Broken image, should still appear if you quote the post lol)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean...

To take this out of context a bit...

Aren't you one of the most staunch "I don't want characters I don't know, I want characters I do!" in regards to DLC

And you're advocating that "I don't want characters I know, I want something new!" in a game not Smash?

Bit hypocritical when looked at it this way, ain't it?:dr^_^:
And aren't you the guy who advocates for weird and obscure characters because they're so random and unexpected?

We're comparing playable characters in a fighting game to villains of platforming games. One involves a plot, the other does not. They're two completely different things, but even if they weren't, your logic is just as hypocritical as mine.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And aren't you the guy who advocates for weird and obscure characters because they're so random and unexpected?

We're comparing playable characters in a fighting game to villains of platforming games. One involves a plot, the other does not. They're two completely different things, but even if they weren't, your logic is just as hypocritical as mine.
I mean, how so?

Your logic is that:

"You only like K.Rool due to his prior appearances", and while that's half true, I still enjoy that unlike the other characters, he actually has development as a character.

I love the Kremlings because they're enemies that are super customizable. Whatever K.Rool decides his new alter-ego is, the Kremlins follow suit.

They're perfect blank slates that can be built around whatever persona K.Rool adopts per game and, I love that.

And that's what I love about K.Rool as well.

You wouldn't expect Lord Frederick to drop the ice-job and suddenly become a mad scientist or boxer, but K.Rool has and did.

K.Rool has a personality, but he also is enough of a blank slate that you can build him however you want, since his general design isn't so forced into one direction, unlike say, Tiki Tong.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Its a possibility but it’s not like they can’t do something different this time around, bringing him back doesn’t mean they’ll go the exact same route as before.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I’ve never even fully played any of the original DKC Trilogy or DK64. I just think K. Rool is better, and him coming back after being gone for so long is what would make his appearance special.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’ve never even fully played any of the original DKC Trilogy or DK64. I just think K. Rool is better, and him coming back after being gone for so long is what would make his appearance special.
Imagine if they acknowledged his disappearance in game in the story and did something like incorporate some elements into the stages that hint at what he was doing all this time.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, how so?

Your logic is that:

"You only like K.Rool due to his prior appearances", and while that's half true, I still enjoy that unlike the other characters, he actually has development as a character.

I love the Kremlings because they're enemies that are super customizable. Whatever K.Rool decides his new alter-ego is, the Kremlins follow suit.

They're perfect blank slates that can be built around whatever persona K.Rool adopts per game and, I love that.

And that's what I love about K.Rool as well.

You wouldn't expect Lord Frederick to drop the ice-job and suddenly become a mad scientist or boxer, but K.Rool has and did.

K.Rool has a personality, but he also is enough of a blank slate that you can build him however you want, since his general design isn't so forced into one direction, unlike say, Tiki Tong.
I don't see how it's even possible to argue that K. Rool would be more of a blank slate than a villain who's never appeared in a game before. That's as blank as a slate as you can get.

But I don't see a point in debating this since it's clearly an opinion we're both not budging on. I'll just say that the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads get a lot of undeserved flak just because they're not K. Rool. I thought it was a nice getting new antagonists who I knew nothing about because I as I played the game, I wanted to learn more about them. I don't mind K. Rool returning, but I don't think he'll make the plot substantially better like everyone thinks he will.

Its a possibility but it’s not like they can’t do something different this time around, bringing him back doesn’t mean they’ll go the exact same route as before.
I know, but it doesn't guarantee they'll try something new either. If Miyamoto is giving input in any way, then that alone gives me reason to doubt K. Rool will be significantly different.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Whose to say:ultkrool:return isn't a sign and response to future appearances in games (Future DK games and Mario spin-offs) especially supposedly the final of the DKCR trilogy they've been secretly building up to for an decade since his absence?

Shroob

Sup?
I don't see how it's even possible to argue that K. Rool would be more of a blank slate than a villain who's never appeared in a game before. That's as blank as a slate as you can get.

But I don't see a point in debating this since it's clearly an opinion we're both not budging on. I'll just say that the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads get a lot of undeserved flak just because they're not K. Rool. I thought it was a nice getting new antagonists who I knew nothing about because I as I played the game, I wanted to learn more about them. I don't mind K. Rool returning, but I don't think he'll make the plot substantially better like everyone thinks he will.

I know, but it doesn't guarantee they'll try something new either. If Miyamoto is giving input in any way, then that alone gives me reason to doubt K. Rool will be significantly different.
I think it comes down to a simple idea:

People love a repeat villain, it gives you someone that you love to hate and build a 'relationship' with. They become an outlet for your ire.

So when you get a one-off villain, unless they leave an actual lasting impact, it usually comes down to a:

"Who the hell's this guy?"

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Watched Scooby Doo Return To Zombie Island. It wasn't too bad. Had some funny moments, I liked all the easter eggs to previous stuff, and it still leads you wondering. I'd say its worth checking out if you liked the original, but it's very different.

Have a fun Scooby Reaction Image though:
Scooby's not mad, just disappointed in you.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it comes down to a simple idea:

People love a repeat villain, it gives you someone that you love to hate and build a 'relationship' with. They become an outlet for your ire.

So when you get a one-off villain, unless they leave an actual lasting impact, it usually comes down to a:

"Who the hell's this guy?"
And the only reason I don't believe that is because I can guarantee you people would be extremely interested in a Mario game that isn't Bowser. There's something intriguing and mysterious to new villains that makes people want to learn more about them. Bowser is not a character who stimulates those feelings.

And this isn't even exclusive to villains. Any new character who's handled properly can instantly be a fan favorite. How did Rosalina became so loved after a single game?

Shroob

Sup?
Watched Scooby Doo Return To Zombie Island. It wasn't too bad. Had some funny moments, I liked all the easter eggs to previous stuff, and it still leads you wondering. I'd say its worth checking out if you liked the original, but it's very different.

Have a fun Scooby Reaction Image though:

Scooby's not mad, just disappointed in you.
Wait...

They made....

A sequel?

Oh no

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I didn't find the designs for the Tiki Tak tribe interesting myself. I like the Snomads because they had an interesting theme and had members of a crew. And while you could say K.Rool mostly appeals to nostalgia, that's because he was dropped, as opposed to Bowser or Ganon or Ridley, who are semi-regular at the worst. If they stuck with him, it'd seem less nostalgic.

I'm not really sure I'd say the story could be interesting in DKCR, because it still amounted to some clown stealing DK's Bananas. Again, the Snomads wanting a new place to set-up shop is more interesting than the Tiki Tak tribe. Granted I think more people would throw a fit if Bowser never showed up again.

That said, if they brought back the Snomads again, I wouldn't complain because I like their gimmick more. New villains are fine as long as they are about as cool as those that preceded them. But of course that's a person to person basis.

On the opposite end, I think people would be okay if Andross took a hike. But that's more so an issue with half the Star Fox titles telling the same story as Star Fox 1.

It's fine if you disagree though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom