• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Morning, guys... what exactly is going on here??
I recently came back from my first day on the gym and it was fun!

Saddly I am now forced to wait for my father to finish a bath on the beach while I sit with his stuff and I am bored.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Not to drag this on but...

I also met two cis women who have a "condition" (as they put it) that allows facial hair to grow, like a mustache. I would totally get angry if someone assumed they were guys or trans because of it, so this sort of logic annoys me.
I know me and my sister get chin hair from time to time. Its not rapidly growing, just a few tiny hairs lol

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I also met two cis women who have a "condition" (as they put it) that allows facial hair to grow, like a mustache. I would totally get angry if someone assumed they were guys or trans because of it, so this sort of logic annoys me.
From my (admittedly limited) understanding, it's actually not that abnormal for a tiny bit of facial hair to grow. But enough woman remove it and never mention it that it's thought to be unusual.

I know someone who gets it over her upper lip. She's pretty insecure about it because dark hair on white skin makes it fairly visible.
You know, I have no clue on anything FE, so for a second, I thought you guys were arguing if a Mercedes Benz was trans or not.
Most automatic vehicles have transmission systems.

D

Deleted member

I don't like having "reasoning" to explain why I think a character is trans because that falls into the trap of assuming trans people have characteristics that "tell they're trans" because "cis people wouldn't have them".
With that said, Mercedes von Fire Emblem? She's trans. She's trans and there's nothing any of you can do about it.

D

Deleted member

I don't like having "reasoning" to explain why I think a character is trans because that falls into the trap of assuming trans people have characteristics that "tell they're trans" because "cis people wouldn't have them".
If reasoning is a "trap," then that means you have nothing meritable to base your assertion on.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

This game I voice in looks great. Apparently some populars YTers are gonna record early access, and apparently all team members get early access, myself included. I can’t wait!

Luckily my voice is in the opening cutscene, so the YTers who asked for early access have to hesr my voice. >:)
1568291647424.png

D

Deleted member

I mean, am I wrong here? We've spent the last page showing why the traits Gwen listed doesn't strictly apply to trans people. Reasoning is the only way to prove Mercedes is trans here. It's not a trap to ask you for reasoning. It's a simple question.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
"Hmm, today I feel like waking up and arguing on whether or not a fictional character from a somewhat popular game is trans" - This Thread.

Idk what makes you guys decide that thus is a great idea, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

D

Deleted member

"Hmm, today I feel like waking up and arguing on whether or not a fictional character from a somewhat popular game is trans" - This Thread.

Idk what makes you guys decide that thus is a great idea, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
You're right. I should go eat breakfast. Brb.

D

Deleted member

Going to the densist.

If I don’t come back, tell my mom I love her. /s

D

Deleted member

I'm usually fairly easygoing, but being trans myself, I find it pretty disrespectful when people try to claim someone is trans and present it as fact with absolutely no proof whatsoever, fictional or not. It's not "cool and hip" fashion statement to just casually throw out like this. I've seen this happen more and more, usually on Twitter thought, didn't think it would be here, too.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
This game I voice in looks great. Apparently some populars YTers are gonna record early access, and apparently all team members get early access, myself included. I can’t wait!

Luckily my voice is in the opening cutscene, so the YTers who asked for early access have to hesr my voice. >:)
View attachment 237953
Chica eyeballs are going to come right out of her endoskeleton head if they get any bigger.

D

Deleted member

I mean, am I wrong here? We've spent the last page showing why the traits Gwen listed doesn't strictly apply to trans people. Reasoning is the only way to prove Mercedes is trans here. It's not a trap to ask you for reasoning. It's a simple question.
Gwen is not saying those characteristics are necessarily that of tans women.
While I won't say "character is trans because of [physical characteristic]", it's important to note many trans people will find certain characteristics they identify with in characters that will lead them into reading that character as trans.
Thick eyebrows and and sideburns aren't characteristics usually associated with women so seeing a character with those can give a feeling of validation. While the high voice can mean nothing, it can also be read as trying to overcompensate or a result of voice training.
Of course, there will be cis women who identify with those characteristics as well for different reasons but trans women can rarely find representation in fiction so "latching" onto specific examples is more common, and this is not an accusation or anything, just the sad reality of a marginalized and unrepresented group so let them have their character, it's not like this affects you in any way, unless you're to say Mercedes being trans or not affects how you see her. And it's not like there's any "evidence" of her being cis either and you shouldn't assume "cis until said otherwise".

Besides, FE isn't strange to the concept, gender non-conforming characters have a few examples and Radiant Dawn had an openly trans woman(who unfortunately got changed to a cis man in the localization but **** what the localization says)

D

Deleted member

Seems like pictures are working for once, so here's some more Terry Bogard:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Gwen is not saying those characteristics are necessarily that of tans women.
While I won't say "character is trans because of [physical characteristic]", it's important to note many trans people will find certain characteristics they identify with in characters that will lead them into reading that character as trans.
Thick eyebrows and and sideburns aren't characteristics usually associated with women so seeing a character with those can give a feeling of validation. While the high voice can mean nothing, it can also be read as trying to overcompensate or a result of voice training.
Of course, there will be cis women who identify with those characteristics as well for different reasons but trans women can rarely find representation in fiction so "latching" onto specific examples is more common, and this is not an accusation or anything, just the sad reality of a marginalized and unrepresented group so let them have their character, it's not like this affects you in any way, unless you're to say Mercedes being trans or not affects how you see her. And it's not like there's any "evidence" of her being cis either and you shouldn't assume "cis until said otherwise".

Besides, FE isn't strange to the concept, gender non-conforming characters have a few examples and Radiant Dawn had an openly trans woman(who unfortunately got changed to a cis man in the localization but **** what the localization says)
Its not illogical to assume that someone isn't trans until proven otherwise simply due to the fact that trans people are an extreme minority.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
During this week of September back in 1991, Smells Like Teen Spirit was released to the public. This song ended up becoming my favorite rock song of all time.

Time to change things up to honor my favorite song, band, and its front-man. :p

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I can understand wanting more trans representation, but I also think it's just best not to assume these things.

Maybe she could be trans. It's pretty unlikely unless Fodlan has already developed some sort of sex-change therapy, but I suppose it's not fair to entirely rule out the possibility.

But there's no reason to say "yeah she's definitely trans". At the end of the day it's still just a headcanon, not a "true" canon fact.
Stating something as fact when it isn't is just going to confuse people and cause misinformation to spread.

D

Deleted member

we're talking about mirror equations in class and one of the terms is dᵢ and it's giving me cognitive whiplash because of all of the competitive Smash videos I've watched recently LMAO

D

Deleted member

Its not illogical to assume that someone isn't trans until proven otherwise simply due to the fact that trans people are an extreme minority.
That's just transphobia, my man
I can understand wanting more trans representation, but I also think it's just best not to assume these things.

Maybe she could be trans. It's pretty unlikely unless Fodlan has already developed some sort of sex-change therapy, but I suppose it's not fair to entirely rule out the possibility.

But there's no reason to say "yeah she's definitely trans". At the end of the day it's still just a headcanon, not a "true" canon fact.
Stating something as fact when it isn't is just going to confuse people and cause misinformation to spread.
It's a ****ing fantasy land where people shoot out fireballs from their hands, transitioning methods would just be magical.

And again, there's nothing to indicate she's cis either, so what gives?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Ironic how they wanna be respectful to people and yet, assume a woman is trans with absolutly no proof and try to pass it as fact. Thats thats what I call being a clown

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

It's a ****ing fantasy land where people shoot out fireballs from their hands, transitioning methods would just be magical.

And again, there's nothing to indicate she's cis either, so what gives?
How is that in any way transphobic?

D

Deleted member

That's a joke, right? A terrible one, but a joke... right?

Ironic how they wanna be respectful to people and yet, assume a woman is trans with absolutly no proof and try to pass it as fact. Thats thats what I call being a clown
And that's exactly why I'm so bothered by this, respect isn't a one-way street and as I said above, going around and spouting your headcanons as fact, especially about such a touchy subject matter, is very disrespectful.

D

Deleted member

How is that in any way transphobic?
You're saying to assume all characters are cis until stated otherwise. That implies you're assuming cis is the "default".
I'm not saying trans people aren't a minority, because we are, but we're still talking about one(1) character in a game with, what, at least 50 of them? By this logic, at least one of them should be trans.
That's a joke, right? A terrible one, but a joke... right?

And that's exactly why I'm so bothered by this, respect isn't a one-way street and as I said above, going around and spouting your headcanons as fact, especially about such a touchy subject matter, is very disrespectful.
Gwen said what she believed in and got disrespected by it, nothing she said was disrespectful at all so I don't see what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom