• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since there's probably 5 additional characters being added after the first fighter pass, I'm really hoping for at least one additional female character, since the last true new female addition that isn't a clone/echo fighter (Isabelle-even though she has her own slot, Dark Samus) or an avatar swap (Inkling, Pokemon Trainer) was Bayonetta, and that was 4 years ago. No wonder this is called Super Smash BROTHERS...I legitimately believe Nintendo has done horribly when it comes to female characters in Smash. From what I can tell, Smash is almost exclusively a boys club, with 97% of the roster being male characters, and hardly any female Smash players on various circuits, and this site is almost exclusively male. I hope I'm wrong, I hope that there's. That's kind of why I was somewhat disappointed when Terry was revealed as SNK's Smash rep instead of Mai. In terms of female characters I'd hope at least get consideration( 2B, Lara Croft, Kitana, Kassandra, Tracer, Kerrigan, Sylvanas, Aloy or Liara T'soni), I really doubt there will be any female newcomers, not even from a Nintendo IP.
You realize that in order to make your argument, you had to say Inkling, Daisy, Dark Samus, and Isabelle "don't count", right?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Since there's probably 5 additional characters being added after the first fighter pass, I'm really hoping for at least one additional female character, since the last true new female addition that isn't a clone/echo fighter (Isabelle-even though she has her own slot, Dark Samus) or an avatar swap (Inkling, Pokemon Trainer) was Bayonetta, and that was 4 years ago. No wonder this is called Super Smash BROTHERS...I legitimately believe Nintendo has done horribly when it comes to female characters in Smash. From what I can tell, Smash is almost exclusively a boys club, with 97% of the roster being male characters, and hardly any female Smash players on various circuits, and this site is almost exclusively male. I hope I'm wrong, I hope that there's. That's kind of why I was somewhat disappointed when Terry was revealed as SNK's Smash rep instead of Mai. In terms of female characters I'd hope at least get consideration( 2B, Lara Croft, Kitana, Kassandra, Tracer, Kerrigan, Sylvanas, Aloy or Liara T'soni), I really doubt there will be any female newcomers, not even from a Nintendo IP.
97% is overstating it, we have a lot of characters with gender options or ambigious genders. And this site is far from being exclusively male.

And even if more girls would be cool, it's at least not as bad as Brawl.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I honestly don’t think we have enough to go on. We have basically nothing. We don’t even know if it will be another Fighters Pass or individual characters like Piranha Plant.

4 out of 5, and probably soon 5 out of 6 of the characters are third party, but it’s just not enough to go off of. We have no clue what’s in store after character 5.
Honestly, I don't have the slightest idea what we'll get.

I want to say we'll get a nice mix-and-match of popular first-parties, promotional/newer first-parties, and third-parties, but we have literally nothing to go off of.

I stand firm in my belief that we're not getting strictly third-parties, but that's only an opinion, not something I can back up with evidence.
I agree that we could use more info, though the remaining DLC could turn out like the Fighter's Pass, where they don't tell us obvious information like everyone being a third-party, and they just let us realize it by ourselves. We could get more info that makes things clearer, or they could just leave things vague. I'm just interpreting the little info we do have.
Curious question, since I'm re-learning Spanish (again): how many users here speak Spanish at least semi-fluently?
I took Spanish for six years, though for some reason I started getting worse at it around my fifth and sixth years. Ironically I'm probably better at Japanese, even though I only took it for four years.

D

Deleted member

Based on everything we've seen so far, I'm guessing we'll get an even mix of popular first-parties and surprising third-parties.
I seriously hope you're right but as others have said we have nothing to go off of so far. We could get what you're saying and I'd love that but we haven't seen a single additional DLC character yet and we probably won't until January or February.

D

Deleted member

Since nothing bad happened when I shared it on the newcomer thread, I may as well share this screenshot of a Discord post I made yesterday on this thread too.

It is literally a full summary of my life inside the Smash fandom, which happens to take the form of a cycle:
CDA3E41F-8F0A-42AB-92D2-53190653916F.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Since nothing bad happened when I shared it on the newcomer thread, I may as well share this screenshot of a Discord post I made yesterday on this thread too.

It is literally a full summary of my life inside the Smash fandom, which happens to take the form of a cycle:
View attachment 237843
The Smash fanbase really be like that sometimes. Jokes on them though you're only one away from getting most if not all the characters you wanted and so far Crash has a decent chance.

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's wild how you wished Eight into existance.

Love what you love and ignore the haters (or laugh at them like I do).

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Calling it now:

Our final fighter is Rosalina's Crown. As a separate fully fledged fighter.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In all seriousness, I'd love Sakurai if he added Pauline to the roster and gave her a quirky moveset involving music and Cappy transformations.

I can picture her tilts and Smash attacks involving her swinging the mic stand around while she does various poses.

D

Deleted member

In all seriousness, I'd love Sakurai if he added Pauline to the roster and gave her a quirky moveset involving music and Cappy transformations.

I can picture her tilts and Smash attacks involving her swinging the mic stand around while she does various poses.
She should use the minis from Mario vs Donkey Kong too.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

Heh. I remember when I added Pauline to my roster prediction thing years ago and people thought I was crazy. Now that Odyssey's a thing I think she has a pretty good chance to get in next game. I think she'd be a very interesting character, too.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
After hearing so much talk about some "KFC dating sim", I finally gave the trailer a watch. It's... not what I expected at all, that's for sure. But it truly is far to good for this world. We don't deserve a game like this.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
From what I can tell, Smash is almost exclusively a boys club, with 97% of the roster being male characters, and hardly any female Smash players on various circuits, and this site is almost exclusively male.
If you think Smash has a horrible gender ratio, you should look up any other game in the FGC. Women don't seem to be drawn to fighting games a lot compared to other genres sadly.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Alrighty, so in terms of the newcomers I've unlocked so far, I'm really enjoying both :ultinkling: and :ultridley:

:ultinkling:'s moveset is appealing to me a whole lot, and :ultridley: is just dang fun

:ultsimon:'s pretty great for the most part while :ultisabelle::ultkrool: are a bit underwhelming for me...

the only non echo base newcomer I need to unlock is :ultincineroar:, who's been pretty much my most anticipated newcomer
I love everything about Ridley except for his terrible recovery and weird down-air. His side-B is soooo much fun to use and he just hits like a truck on a bunch of his moves.

So glad that he's in the game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Figured I'd take a plunge and grabbed the K-ON! limited edition set.

I have always loved this series!

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
But female Inkling is the default skin, and is the mascot of the franchise so I think she should count as a new female character.

And saying Isabelle doesn't count as a new female character just because she's similar to someone else is like saying Toon Link doesn't count as a male character. That's sounds like cherry-picking to me.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Alrighty, so in terms of the newcomers I've unlocked so far, I'm really enjoying both :ultinkling: and :ultridley:

:ultinkling:'s moveset is appealing to me a whole lot, and :ultridley: is just dang fun

:ultsimon:'s pretty great for the most part while :ultisabelle::ultkrool: are a bit underwhelming for me...

the only non echo base newcomer I need to unlock is :ultincineroar:, who's been pretty much my most anticipated newcomer
Yeah, Inkling is one of the most fun characters in the game, and probably has my favorite gimmick alongside Hero's MP spells.

However, you called Isabelle underwhelming, so you lost human rights privileges.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
After hearing so much talk about some "KFC dating sim", I finally gave the trailer a watch. It's... not what I expected at all, that's for sure. But it truly is far to good for this world. We don't deserve a game like this.
My friend did a let's play of Date a Fidget Spinner.

Unsurprisingly, when the KFC game was announced, it was the best day of his life.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
You just HAD to remind me that that exists didn’t you

if you think that’s weird there’s now a dating sim for literal REFRIDGERATORS
Next there will be a Smashboards dating sim!

Wait... that doesn’t sound too good actually.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But female Inkling is the default skin, and is the mascot of the franchise so I think she should count as a new female character.

And saying Isabelle doesn't count as a new female character just because she's similar to someone else is like saying Toon Link doesn't count as a male character. That's sounds like cherry-picking to me.
Ultimate has done a fairly well with female characters.

Male: :ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultkrool::ultken::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
Female: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie:
Genderless/Unknown: :ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

That's 8 and 1/2 vs. 4 and 1/2. Compared to most fighting games, this isn't too bad.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And even if more girls would be cool, it's at least not as bad as Brawl
It's weird looking back on Brawl. After ZSS was as announced and we had that comment about adding more female characters everyone hyped themselves up for the possibility of more female characters like Dixie and Krystal, only for ZSS to be the only female addition added.

Smash 4 and even Ultimate were a lot better in that regard, both in terms of newcomers and expanding on the amount of female alts like :ultpokemontrainerf:.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Ultimate has done a fairly well with female characters.

Male: :ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultkrool::ultken::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
Female: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie:
Genderless/Unknown: :ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

That's 8 and 1/2 vs. 4 and 1/2. Compared to most fighting games, this isn't too bad.
And keep in mind that Banjo is both a male and female character in one, so he could technically be included in both categories. Edit: oops, you already did that. I didn't notice before posting, lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom