• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Correct me if I’m mistaken but I saw someone in the Geno thread saying that the DLC characters in fact, do NOT fill up the WoL slots...?

That or it was something about the alts, that Joker’s school uniform, the other three Heroes etc. don’t take up slots. Man I’m confused

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just realized that I could use Gold Coins to get the Sans costume for free.

Finally My Nintendo is useful for something other then buying stamina potions.
That’s how I got the costume. I also use those points to shave off the tax on digital purchases. It’s pretty useful.

Also I wonder if Verge’s source really did mix up Minecraft with the Cube pig spirit.

If Not is was FP 2 planned way longer in advanced?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Oh believe me, beyond hyped over here. Played a butt ton of Banjo-Kazooie with MEGALOVANIA.

I’ve also realized that frankly, I’m not going to care who gets in really. The fact that we’re getting more after Pick 5 is insane.

I just think folks gotta be careful with 1st parties. A ton of folks thought we’d get 1st parties after what Reggie said, and now after Sakurai has said something similar, it’s happening again. Not my job to make sure people avoid disappointment, but throwing it out there.

To be fair, Joker isn’t exactly the same situation as Ridley or K.Rool were at the time. The latter two characters were among the most requested and added for the base game. Joker was the first pick of the Fighter Pass, setting the tone of the DLC and shocking folks in general. It was meant to be surprising.

In terms of the spark a character creates, it all depends on context. With Terry, he may not be a big deal on Smashboards or in the West. However, KoF and Fatal Fury are huge in Mexico and other countries. The characters added appeal to new audiences, as have other DLC Fighters.

It’s also not as if the series available are just “any old series”. We’re talking about series that have gaming legacy or communities involved, like Resident Evil or Tekken respectively. These picks, as they are new series to Smash, bring in more than, say, Mario character #13 or #14.

My point remains that Sakurai can essentially pick whoever he wants to add to Smash at this point. We know he’s now said that he wants to “expand upon the record as much as possible”. This record, in terms of series crossing over, only expands if it’s a new series, first or third party. If he wanted to add Waluigi he could have. But instead, he made him into an Assist Trophy. Adding him now doesn’t expand there crossover element.

If anyone is taking my argument as me saying, “wanting 1st parties is bad” that’s not my intention. I have a handful of 1st parties I’d like to see myself. I’d even be sad if I didn’t see them. My argument is more that expecting this Pass to cater to Nintendo fans because the first pass was all 3rd party characters seems to dismiss some of what he said at the end. He wants to expand the crossover. He can do that with select 1st parties, but there’s more shock value of “He added that non-Nintendo series to Smash!?” Vs. “He added a Nintendo series to Smash?”

Again, nobody should feel bad. Everybody has their preference. I simply don’t think there’s as much value in adding 1st parties at this point in terms of expanding the record, especially with characters like Leon/Jill/Chris, Dante, Heihachi, or even Sora left on the table.
I know you aren't trying to make it seem like third-parties and characters from new franchises are the only characters of value. The main thing we can't agree on is the impact of first-party characters, and I feel like some characters like Ridley and K. Rool had more of an impact than any third-party character could ever have. They mean a lot to people, and that's because both were extremely iconic and people knew exactly who they were. Obviously not everyone has that same level of popularity, but I believe there are plenty of new characters from existing franchises who would be worthwhile; characters who could encourage people to try a game from that franchise that they may have not been so sure of.

In my eyes, the company who created the character shouldn't be more important than the character itself, and I don't think it's a good idea to put an emphasis on "expanding the record" or "shocking" people when that shock usually wears off almost immediately. The quality of the franchises and the number of people familiar with said franchises should be prioritized over the quantity.

But I digress. We both see the situation differently, and there's not much we can do to change each other's minds until the next wave of characters begin. Guess we'll just agree to disagree for now.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Correct me if I’m mistaken but I saw someone in the Geno thread saying that the DLC characters in fact, do NOT fill up the WoL slots...?

That or it was something about the alts, that Joker’s school uniform, the other three Heroes etc. don’t take up slots. Man I’m confused
They do take up slots(see plant) but it’s as you said alts do not

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Who do you guys think will be the last character in the first fighter pass? I'm kinda hoping for doomguy.
I've haven't decided on this myself, been thinking of Crash as the last one if there's the chance of another character from a western developer.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Who do you guys think will be the last character in the first fighter pass? I'm kinda hoping for doomguy.
I'm expecting Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, but I'm hoping for Doomguy/the Doom Slayer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They do take up slots(see plant) but it’s as you said alts do not
There are 16 WoL slots, but 31 “regular” slots and alts don’t occupy the regular slots...

THIS MEANS THEY CAN IN FACT ADD MORE WOL SLOTS

1567703264849.gif

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
For those curious on what the SNES Online is releasing with tonight:
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • F-Zero
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Mario World
  • Star Fox
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Super Metroid
  • Kirby’s Dream Land 3
  • Pilotwings
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Tennis
  • Brawl Brothers
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Super E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2
  • Breath of Fire
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
For those curious on what the SNES Online is releasing with tonight:
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • F-Zero
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Mario World
  • Star Fox
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Super Metroid
  • Kirby’s Dream Land 3
  • Pilotwings
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Tennis
  • Brawl Brothers
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Super E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2
  • Breath of Fire
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
No Donkey Kong

B3839A71-05DF-479C-9DF6-3875E337B67B.jpeg

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also, I didn't pay enough attention to what Sakurai said during the "more DLC" announcement, but people are saying he specifically mentioned fans.

So, I think there's a good chance we'll be getting more fan-favorites, including first- and third-parties.

There are 16 WoL slots, but 31 “regular” slots and alts don’t occupy the regular slots...

THIS MEANS THEY CAN IN FACT ADD MORE WOL SLOTS

View attachment 236985
Unique alts. (including Plant's pipe) take up regular slots, but not WoL slots.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also, I didn't pay enough attention to what Sakurai said during the "more DLC" announcement, but people are saying he specifically mentioned fans.

So, I think there's a good chance we'll be getting more fan-favorites, including first- and third-parties.

Unique alts. (including Plant's pipe) take up regular slots, but not WoL slots.
I mean, Terry is a fan favourite too, he just wasn't discussed often

An entire crowd of Nintendo fans cheering for Terry

D

Deleted member

I mean, Terry is a fan favourite too, he just wasn't discussed often

An entire crowd of Nintendo fans cheering for Terry
tbf Sakurai could reveal Ninjabread Man and the people at Nintendo NYC would probably still treat him like he was the next coming of Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
For those who want to compare the 21 games on SNES classic vs the 20 on SNES online...
Classic:
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Kart
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
  • F-Zero
  • Super Metroid
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Mega Man X
  • Kirby Super Star