• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I'm thoroughly convinced I've been transported to some kind of wonderful bizarro timeline where it's possible to fight in Smash with Banjo-Kazooie and Terry Bogard, amongst a ton of other gaming icons, while Megalovania unironically blares in the background. This is amazing.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So I'm definitely expecting Namco and Capcom to get another character either as #5 or in the other DLC.

I'm thinking Capcom's will be Resident Evil for sure, Namco will probably be Tales, but who knows.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Uh... guys "Worlds" can be interpreted in many different ways.

Doesn't necessarily mean "All 3rd Party characters again".

At the very least, wait until at least AFTER the 1st additional character is revealed before jumping to conclusions.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think I missed something. Can someone explain the WoL slots to me?
Early after the game's release, dataminers found a total of 16 additional slots for fighters in the World of Light game mode.

Essentially, there existed 16 additional slots for fighters at that point. This was before Plant, so after the Fighters Pass 10 of those slots will still be open. We can use this as a potential maximum for how many additional fighters we'll be seeing.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Imagine if this leaked on the smash YouTube yesterday:
The community would flip.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Kind of want Three Houses now that it's not taking up the final slot. I still think Fire Emblem has to get a rep on the basis of it being Fire Emblem.
I mean hey, I'd be completely down with getting Edelgard.

I just don't expect it.

Every single character in this Pass, assuming we get Ryu Hayabusa, would be from a series entirely new to Smash. Sure, Sakurai could add a character from a 1st Party series already given a playable character in Smash. But I really don't get how that actually expands the total amount of "game worlds" in Smash.

It would be like adding Monster Hunter. I'm not even trying to be biased here. Monster Hunter, even without a playable character, is in Smash with Rathalos. Adding a Monster Hunter pick, logically, would not expand the "gaming worlds" in Smash, because it's already a part of Smash.

Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if most if not all picks in DLC are 3rd party.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Can we somehow pin this post to the top of the forum? This point needs to be drilled into everyone’s minds. Like a Bill Drill on your brain.

I wonder how many new fighters will join? You think we’ll get another pass of 5? Or will he disseminate the content in some other way?
I don't think there will be another pass, Sakurai didn't seem to like the season pass format even when he announced it. I think it will probably be around five, but really there's no telling how many more characters there will be. Pretty exciting.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay I've calmed down a bit and I give the Smash presentation of the Direct a

HomeRunContestisBackIamOKAYSansUndertale/10

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
So, definitive Direct thoughts.

Overwatch is dope but I'm probably only playing it on comp personally.

LM3 gets a whole segment and I'm still just kinda nodding. Probably give it a go though. Halloween release is a nice touch.

No personal history with the Mana series but Tales looks pretty nice. Maybe after the backlog dies down.

OB-RA-DINN OB-RA-DINN OB-RA-DINN OB-RA-DINN

Seriously y'all don't sleep on Obra Dinn. Great game. Short game, but great game.

Little Town Hero looks aight. Not mindblowing. But aight.

Banjo releasing today was expected and welcomed.

Terry being DLC 4 was also expected and welcomed. The old school trailer warmed my little black heart.

MORE DLC FIGHTERS NOW IN DEVELOPMENT! YOU MAD ********, YOU PULLED A SEASON 2?!

TMS#FE remake was wholly unexpected. But welcomed. Didn't feel it got a fair shake and it'll be good to see it getting another chance. Just hope it doesn't pull a Pokken.

DOOM 64 is actually really cool to me personally. Picking it up when I can.

SWSH intermission:
- Giant. Foxcat. Thank you. Yes of course it's never been in question, it was still nice to see it.
- Outfit customization looks goddamn great. I just hope they let you save outfits so I don't have to keep notes or something.
- Pokemon Camp looks like it might be solid. Depends if it's got Amie's heart in it.
- I'd say something about what the **** this Curry-crafting **** is but I remember berry blending and Imma shut my mouth.
- I don't want to drink ghost tea. That's ****in weird fam.
- Bird looks denser than a bowl of oatmeal and his special ability sounds useless as hell but it's hilarious and I love it all the same.

SNES Online is aight. Lineup's about what you'd expect for a starter set. I'd say I might use it some, but NES Online is gathering dust. RetroPie too, so I got no excuse.

I'll give the DAEMON X MACHINA demo a go.

More than anything I'm surprised to see Jedi Knight II being talked about, much less ported. But y'know what? I respect the history. I'll consider it if the port goes well.

Dauntless feels like someone's mom going "We already have Monster Hunter World at home."

The Outer Worlds coming to Switch sounds fantastic, if I wasn't aiming for it on PC.

New Horizons looks good. Real good. Doesn't get an intermission though, there ain't much new to discuss. Also Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo not gonna lie I was picturing you as the lead there for awhile, pink hair aside.

XC Definitive looks amazing and I'm absolutely on board for another go round. Equally so because it gives me hope for an XCX Definitive. Or XCX 2. Or pull a two-pack, like Bayonetta 1/2? You got options, Monolith.

"So, if you'd like to play Banjo Kazooie today...you can do it on Xbox." My heart, Ninty. My heart. Also I like how Sakurai sits there for two minutes talking about how and why he's dual-wielding Pro Controllers. Zero sarcasm, his is the most wholesome flexing I've ever witnessed and I enjoy every second.

I'm far from professional but Banjo looks mid-tier to me. Nothing seems abusable at a glance, recovery is just okay, specials might get a little campy but not really that much. Figure it'll pretty much mandatory to master RAR with grenade eggs. Literal invincibility sounded great for ten seconds before getting deflated by being horrifically unsafe on shield, but it'll make edgeguarding him a ***** at least. I'll let people far more skilled than me determine anything else.

Spiral Mountain is detailed as ****. Brings me back, I love it.

Sandbag Space Program looks pretty great. Glad to see it back too.

Sans costume coming with MEGALOVANIA is the easiest $0.75 I've spent all day. That Toby's broken bread with Sakurai himself is also a cool story to hear.

The man's face right as he begins talking about how they're working on more DLC fighters. Goddamn. I laughed, but I pity him. Won't stop the new fighter thirst, just...heart goes out.

That's bout all.

D

Deleted member

The Pokémon sub is pissed.

Because of curry.

They’re seriously freaking out because of the curry

Reddit is beyond saving lmao
The pokemon sub? You can't go to them on Reddit; they've been hating on Sword/Shield no matter what's been shown and what listen to reason. You need the Sword & Shield sub if you want good vibes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I'm definitely expecting Namco and Capcom to get another character either as #5 or in the other DLC.

I'm thinking Capcom's will be Resident Evil for sure, Namco will probably be Tales, but who knows.
Honestly, Capcom is between Resident Evil and Devil May Cry if you ask me.

Both would be utterly fantastic, so I can't say I'd be upset if one got in over the other.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Animal Crossing and Pokemon were hype.

Overwatch on the Switch is great.

SNK newcomer didn't surprise me for one second.

The lack of BotW 2 news was disappointing.

More DLC fighters being confirmed is HUGELY exciting, worrying and relieving at the same time.

And I'm ready to have a bad tom. Sans Mii Costume is great.

Also, Toby vs. Sakurai. With Toby either matching him or beating him at Smash. ****ing glorious.

D

Deleted member

I mean hey, I'd be completely down with getting Edelgard.

I just don't expect it.

Every single character in this Pass, assuming we get Ryu Hayabusa, would be from a series entirely new to Smash. Sure, Sakurai could add a character from a 1st Party series already given a playable character in Smash. But I really don't get how that actually expands the total amount of "game worlds" in Smash.

It would be like adding Monster Hunter. I'm not even trying to be biased here. Monster Hunter, even without a playable character, is in Smash with Rathalos. Adding a Monster Hunter pick, logically, would not expand the "gaming worlds" in Smash, because it's already a part of Smash.

Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if most if not all picks in DLC are 3rd party.
Hmm... I see your point. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for interpretation.

I think the only way we're getting a character from a series already represented is if he had huge fan demand and Sakurai had no issues with gaining rights (Geno). Of course, I think for now we should just expect completely new series and wait to be surprised.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I feel like we're reaching MUGEN levels in terms of character roster:
-Sonic
-Pacman
-Megaman
-Terry
-Banjo
-DQ Hero
-Joker
-Cloud Strife
-Mario
-Bayonetta
-Simon
-Ryu
Like, imagine if someone told you 10 years ago that this was the character roster of a fighting game...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hmm... I see your point. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for interpretation.

I think the only way we're getting a character from a series already represented is if he had huge fan demand and Sakurai had no issues with gaining rights (Geno). Of course, I think for now we should just expect completely new series and wait to be surprised.
Geno...I don't know. I feel like they could get away with giving him a unique series symbol and, like, his own series. Maybe. I really don't know how to interpret that.

But I don't think he's out of the running.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Uh... guys "Worlds" can be interpreted in many different ways.

Doesn't necessarily mean "All 3rd Party characters again".

At the very least, wait until at least AFTER the 1st additional character is revealed before jumping to conclusions.
I feel like it was pretty clear he was referring to new franchises. He's said before that he wants to create the greatest crossover game, and more third parties are the way to do that. It's possible there could be new 1st party characters, but I honestly doubt it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And apparently a new sword and shield feature wasn’t in the direct. It’s call r league cards. Every character has one and you collect them and make your own. It lets you have a whole new banner and image for you when you start an online match

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Guess I'll be around for a while, huh?

Obviously not as much as I used to, but this ride is far from over.

D

Deleted member

Geno...I don't know. I feel like they could get away with giving him a unique series symbol and, like, his own series. Maybe. I really don't know how to interpret that.

But I don't think he's out of the running.
His spirit has the Mario mushroom symbol, but his series is specifically labeled under the Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars series. It really is up in the ****ing air with him since his Mii costume isn't back.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know I said the same thing about this current pass, but I think assuming that all the DLC characters are third-party is a bit extreme. There are plenty of fans who want more of Nintendo's own franchises to get characters, and I'm sure Sakurai knows that. His goal has never been, "Let's cram in as many new franchises as possible."

It'd help if we knew exactly how many we were getting, but for now, I'm guessing at least two first-party characters will get in.

D

Deleted member

Guess I'll be around for a while, huh?

Obviously not as much as I used to, but this ride is far from over.
You know what this means, fellow Smashboarders.

MORE GAMBLING

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom