• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Thinking of recruiting Petra & Cyril in my GD playthrough.

Gotta make sure the Almyra Gang stay strong, that, and Cyril was a beast on my BL run, and Petra just seem to be a cool character, so let's hope I don't get too many problems recruiting them.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ehh, I don't like this concept for the new anime.

For starters, we're giving Kanto more time in the spotlight, and Lord knows it'll get a lot of screentime. Second, how is SwSh gonna be handled? Will they go in chronological order and show us Galar right when Gen IX is on the horizon? Is is going to share what should've been an anime entirely dedicated to Galar with seven different regions?

I dunno. Seems like a lot of people are excited, but it's not clicking with me. I enjoy seeing new regions and a new cast of characters with each Gen. Revisiting what we've already seen and focusing on old characters who we've already met just feels like them pandering to nostalgia.
Who said it’s chronological?

It could be a different story in a different region each time. Hell, it could focus on different characters too. We don’t know what they’re doing with Ash.

It sounds pretty rad to me. We’re finally escaping the traditional anime’s formula and getting something new.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Who said it’s chronological?

It could be a different story in a different region each time. Hell, it could focus on different characters too. We don’t know what they’re doing with Ash.

It sounds pretty rad to me. We’re finally escaping the traditional anime’s formula and getting something new.
Personally, I liked the formula we already have. Focusing on multiple main characters across multiple regions for about three years? That just feels cramped, and it'll take away from a lot of the meaningful relationships characters build with each other. Hard to make the viewers grow attached to someone if there's multiple casts all trying to share the spotlight. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I just can't see this turning out to be good like people are picturing it in their heads.

I'm still hoping for something more traditional, but if this is some type of reboot that drops Ash's 20+ year history and doesn't spend a majority of it's time in Galar, then I've already lost interest.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
That, friend, is a weird way to spell
Rhea
That is another weird way to spell

Those who slither in the dark's ancestors...

Ok that name may be too big like :ultridley:, but you get the point

Noipoi

Howdy!
Personally, I liked the formula we already have. Focusing on multiple main characters across multiple regions for about three years? That just feels cramped, and it'll take away from a lot of the meaningful relationships characters build with each other. Hard to make the viewers grow attached to someone if there's multiple casts all trying to share the spotlight. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I just can't see this turning out to be good like people are picturing it in their heads.

I'm still hoping for something more traditional, but if this is some type of reboot that drops Ash's 20+ year history and doesn't spend a majority of it's time in Galar, then I've already lost interest.
Meanigful relationships
In the Pokémon anime

Lol

But I feel like you’re not really seeing the possibilities here! This has the potential to blow every other anime series out of the water!

At least wait till the trailer before writing it off, I bet you’ll be surprised.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ehh, I don't like this concept for the new anime.

For starters, we're giving Kanto more time in the spotlight, and Lord knows it'll get a lot of screentime. Second, how is SwSh gonna be handled? Will they go in chronological order and show us Galar right when Gen IX is on the horizon? Is is going to share what should've been an anime entirely dedicated to Galar with seven different regions?

I dunno. Seems like a lot of people are excited, but it's not clicking with me. I enjoy seeing new regions and a new cast of characters with each Gen. Revisiting what we've already seen and focusing on old characters who we've already met just feels like them pandering to nostalgia.
Assuming it focuses solely on kanto is a big stretch tbh.

Yeah they love kanto, but there’s 7 other regions to cover. Assuming we see the plot of every game carried out through different protags, then there’s no way kanto can take more time. Not to mention it has the least amount of story.

Plus look at generations, we got looker thrown into different stories, it’s very likely we will see some neat story changes that could make it really fun.

Also if I had to bet there won’t be an order. Each week we focus on a different region, slowly building the story till all of them are at the climaxes. It would make sense to alternate each week to build hype and what not. Either way I say wait till the trailer there is so much potential here

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Meanigful relationships
In the Pokémon anime

Lol

But I feel like you’re not really seeing the possibilities here! This has the potential to blow every other anime series out of the water!

At least wait till the trailer before writing it off, I bet you’ll be surprised.
The Pokemon anime really has made some touching scenes over the years. Even in Sun and Moon, there's been a handful of episodes that almost make you cry, like the death of Litten's mentor, Stoutland, or Mallow getting the chance to apologize to her dead mother for saying that she hated her right before she passed away.

But back to the new series, I'm trying to keep an open mind. As of now though, dividing the story up between eight regions in weekly 22 minute episodes doesn't sound promising. It sounds really complicated and hard to follow.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Dear friend. There's only one way to settle this. Who has the better hips?
If hips are your thing, then I suppose Rhea. However, as the prophecy foretells “hips don’t lie”. But Rhea does.

I literally cannot see Rhea as anything other than an equal in villainy as Those Who Slither. She lies, she manipulated those around her, and effectively takes advantage of the crest system to remain in power.

Are there things Edelgard did that I don’t agree with? Yes. Is she wrong to go to war? I don’t think so. I can’t take the idea of her sitting in a room with Rhea to talk things out seriously. Yeah, sit with the Pope and discuss the exploitation of people under her rule. She’ll totally agree and change everything as it has been.

Children and teens aren’t taken seriously. Nobody would take Edelgard seriously, she couldn’t confide in friends...it’s literally a high school. Gossip travels. She’d be blown in, and of course you don’t trust everyone considering what your childhood was like.

I like Dimitri. I feel for him. But he’s a lapdog to the Church. He wouldn’t do anything to change the world order, because he can’t see it. Even Claude agrees with Edelgard in terms of reasoning and vision, but not the means. However, nothing changes without a war, that’s a simple fact in terms of Three Houses if you ask me.

Obviously things change between paths, as Edelgard goes nuts in BL (though she doesn’t throw her knife at Dimitri because she hates him: her ambition, her vision, what she strives for, is completely incompatible with a world ruled by Dimitri. She cannot bear living in a world where her vision will not come to pass, where she must live with her failure). I actually feel that’s quite brave.

I’m not done with Golden Deer yet, and I’ll learn more as I do. But i’m still with Edelgard on this one.

There’s much more I could say. But as of right now I really can’t see myself siding with Dimitri or Rhea.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Assuming it focuses solely on kanto is a big stretch tbh.

Yeah they love kanto, but there’s 7 other regions to cover. Assuming we see the plot of every game carried out through different protags, then there’s no way kanto can take more time. Not to mention it has the least amount of story.

Plus look at generations, we got looker thrown into different stories, it’s very likely we will see some neat story changes that could make it really fun.

Also if I had to bet there won’t be an order. Each week we focus on a different region, slowly building the story till all of them are at the climaxes. It would make sense to alternate each week to build hype and what not. Either way I say wait till the trailer there is so much potential here
Never said Kanto would get most of the focus. Just that I really don't want it to get a focus at all.

Generations worked okay because it was meant to be a short series where you could relive your favorite Pokemon games. This isn't the same. If we focus on a different region each week, that still means you're gonna have a long break in between the story. Wanna see how that battle between Red and Blue ended? You'll get your answer in eight weeks after the other seven Gens get their episode.

Unless they spit a 22-minute episode into eight parts and give us 3-4 minutes for each Gen, but that sounds equally bad.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey y'all am'a back from watching both Happy Death Days. Solid flicks overall. Tree's pretty much became one of my favorite characters. Never liked such a female lead so much.

Can't wait to eventually get them on disc when Christmas rolls by. :grin:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s that time again!

ID: M0LL8
Password: 42069

Arena title: Character 4 is Farquaad (with 1 “a”)

Set for 4 player FFA

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If hips are your thing, then I suppose Rhea. However, as the prophecy foretells “hips don’t lie”. But Rhea does.

I literally cannot see Rhea as anything other than an equal in villainy as Those Who Slither. She lies, she manipulated those around her, and effectively takes advantage of the crest system to remain in power.

Are there things Edelgard did that I don’t agree with? Yes. Is she wrong to go to war? I don’t think so. I can’t take the idea of her sitting in a room with Rhea to talk things out seriously. Yeah, sit with the Pope and discuss the exploitation of people under her rule. She’ll totally agree and change everything as it has been.

Children and teens aren’t taken seriously. Nobody would take Edelgard seriously, she couldn’t confide in friends...it’s literally a high school. Gossip travels. She’d be blown in, and of course you don’t trust everyone considering what your childhood was like.

I like Dimitri. I feel for him. But he’s a lapdog to the Church. He wouldn’t do anything to change the world order, because he can’t see it. Even Claude agrees with Edelgard in terms of reasoning and vision, but not the means. However, nothing changes without a war, that’s a simple fact in terms of Three Houses if you ask me.

Obviously things change between paths, as Edelgard goes nuts in BL (though she doesn’t throw her knife at Dimitri because she hates him: her ambition, her vision, what she strives for, is completely incompatible with a world ruled by Dimitri. She cannot bear living in a world where her vision will not come to pass, where she must live with her failure). I actually feel that’s quite brave.

I’m not done with Golden Deer yet, and I’ll learn more as I do. But i’m still with Edelgard on this one.

There’s much more I could say. But as of right now I really can’t see myself siding with Dimitri or Rhea.
But then we run into the problem where

the war that killed thousands of lives was definitely unnecessary. BL shows this by having Rhea step down for Byleth who then leads the continent for better things. Some students also take measures to lower the importance of the class system like Sylvain. Theoretically, everything would have corrected itself if she did wait because Byleth is just that much of a champion of the people.

It's unrealistic for Edelgard to see that coming, but it's unrealistic to humor the idea of believing in a teenager who declared war on the entire continent, and has made an attempt to kill me and worked with the organization that killed my father and turned innocent students into black beasts.

In a real world scenario, that **** wouldn't stand with anybody and you're asking me to put faith into a teenager who just tried to kill me by trusting she will be a good ruler or abdicate her throne, believing that working with the dark cult of assholes is a means to an end that she can take care of, actually succeed in her plans to establish a successful post-war effort, and not lose the war.

It says a lot when three of the four routes has Edelgard as an antagonist, and that you can choose to say **** you to her in the BE route instead of siding with her. In those instances where she loses, her little war really messed **** up for the worse and really did just lead people into a horrible couple of years.

Now if she wins, she's a hero. History written by the winner yadda yadda. However, if a powerful state or group of states declared war on the entire USA and you didn't live/side in that factoo (in which the ensuing carnage causes you to go out of commission for five years and thousands have died while you were asleep), you'd probably see why Edelgard's violent revolutionary attitude is problematic at best and repulsive at worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman

Feels kinda disingenuous to harp on Rhea if you haven't played Golden Deer or Church yet. Those are the paths where you get the most info about Rhea.

Though I'm confused as to what the Church did that's so bad. Like, besides being a popular religious organization. They aren't even responsible for the Crest system, really (quite the contrary, actually, but you'll learn more about that). They're generally fairly peaceful, don't involve themselves much in politics unless they're being threatened, and Rhea as a person is shown as generally being kind (there's a bit of child experimentation going on but it happened once, and the child was going to die otherwise). The thing is Edelgard doesn't know Rhea's side of the story because neither of them have any communication skills to speak of, so she kinda takes TWSITD word for everything.

Dimitri is also the lord who canonically institutes a form of democracy, and I'll take that over Edelgard's meritocratic system any day, Crests or no Crests (let's not forget Hanneman is on route to solving the Crest issue on every path). Also for that reason, I don't think their goals are actually that incompatible, Edelgard is just fatally stubborn.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm nearing the end of Super Mario World - I'm one stage away from Larry's castle, and I'm pretty sure that means I'm two stages away from Bowser's castle.

I unlocked Blue Yoshi by accident, and I find it kind of funny - the developers have all of these intricately designed puzzles based around timing your jumps and platforms that only move for a certain amount of seconds when you land on them, and yet give Mario a Cape Feather, go through the level on Blue Yoshi, and if the level contains any Koopa shells whatsoever, then it pretty much breaks all platforming challenges. I'm on one of the last levels of the game, and yet I was able to fly over 4/5 of it like I was playing Kirby.

I'm proud that I made it this far - Mario World is a game that I've been meaning to play for a while now (I've owned it for a while, but my cousins had a 100% save file, which made it tough to find the motivation to play it start to finish when I could play any level whenever I wanted), and aside from having to look up how to get out of the Forest of Illusion, it's been a ton of fun and an extremely well-designed game with no frustrating moments.

I've lost a lot of lives and taken a lot of hits, but it always felt fair, which is what I want out of a game. (as opposed to feeling like the developers wanted to screw the players over with annoying enemy placement, frustrating jumping mechanics, etc.)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

the war that killed thousands of lives was definitely unnecessary. BL shows this by having Rhea step down for Byleth who then leads the continent for better things. Some students also take measures to lower the importance of the class system like Sylvain. Theoretically, everything would have corrected itself if she did wait because Byleth is just that much of a champion of the people.

It's unrealistic for Edelgard to see that coming, but it's unrealistic to humor the idea of believing in a teenager who declared war on the entire continent, and has made an attempt to kill me and worked with the organization that killed my father and turned innocent students into black beasts.

In a real world scenario, that **** wouldn't stand with anybody and you're asking me to put faith into a teenager who just tried to kill me by trusting she will be a good ruler or abdicate her throne, believing that working with the dark cult of ******** is a means to an end that she can take care of, actually succeed in her plans to reestablish a post-war continent, and not lose the war.

It says a lot when three of the four routes has Edelgard as an antagonist, and that you can choose to say **** you to her in the BE route instead of siding with her. In those instances, her little war really messed **** up for the worse and really did just lead people into a horrible couple of years.

Now if she wins, she's a hero. History written by the winner yadda yadda. However, if a state declared war on the entire USA and you didn't live in that state (in which the ensuing carnage causes you to go out of commission for five years and thousands have died while you were asleep), you'd probably see why Edelgard's violent revolutionary attitude is problematic at best and repulsive at worse.
That and
Let's not forget that Seiros/Rhea became the person she is today because of those asshole cult's ancestor, if her species wasn't almost extinct, Sothis didn't die and they weren't made into weapons by using their bones, I don't think Seiros be so paranoiac around everyone, even her fellow kin. The event of the Red Canyon traumatized in some parts, and while it doesn't make her innocent since she still did alot of pretty bad things, I can't see her as the ultimate evil of this story. At the very least, she tried to do put peace in the world in some part, even if her ambition to see her mother got in the way, she even spared the Ten Elites, despite them working with Nemesis and using Seiros' kin bones as weapons, yes, it was to pass on their crests and help her plans, but how many peoples wouldn't have killed them on the spot if they used your family remain to kill you? That, aand the possibility of the world knowing who Nemesis & the Ten Elites truly were could have been much, much worse. Meanwhile, what did The Slithers did to help the world ? Invented dubstep?

That, and on that note, Dimitri want to change the noble system, albeit not as drastically as Edel, as one of his dialogue say he isn't too happy with the crest system and that he like to find a way to change it if it's possible. In fact, the greatest tragedy of 3H is that all 3 lords to share similar interest for the world and how to change it, but their way to go about it drastic so much that none of them can really trust the others, which make it all sadder to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't believe I'm finding myself agreeing with you 100%. Please keep bringing out the 3H essays, my man.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, last year's Super Sentai made a movie on that and I believe BBC Sherlock has been screwing with copyright stuff
It’s not BBC Sherlock. It’s the Conan Doyle estate. They insist on trying to maintain ahold of the copyright to the character despite being in the public domaine by most readings of the law. Some people can afford to keep their lawyers away. Which is how we get things like Sherlock and Elementary. Others can not, mostly Japanese companies, which is why things like that movie and that one Ace Attorney game can’t leave Japan. As such Britain is the only place where the character is not in public domain.

Also, BBC Sherlock is long canceled if memory serves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The day people make disgusting nsfw fan fiction of my characters...

That’s when I’ll know I’ve made it.
As in “I’ve made it big” or as in “I have made the disgusting stuff.” /s

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

In a real world scenario, that **** wouldn't stand with anybody and you're asking me to put faith into a teenager who just tried to kill me by trusting she will be a good ruler or abdicate her throne, believing that working with the dark cult of ******** is a means to an end that she can take care of, actually succeed in her plans to reestablish a post-war continent, and not lose the war.

It says a lot when three of the four routes has Edelgard as an antagonist, and that you can choose to say **** you to her in the BE route instead of siding with her. In those instances, her little war really messed **** up for the worse and really did just lead people into a horrible couple of years.

Now if she wins, she's a hero. History written by the winner yadda yadda. However, if a state declared war on the entire USA and you didn't live in that state (in which the ensuing carnage causes you to go out of commission for five years and thousands have died while you were asleep), you'd probably see why Edelgard's violent revolutionary attitude is problematic at best and repulsive at worse.
Rhea steps down because she wanted you to be her successor anyway, because then she technically stays in power.

She wants you, no, her mother to be in power. That’s what she wanted from the beginning.

Basically, yes, war is bad. But living under the rule of a being that kills folks who think differently in a regime that is effectively Church and State combined? No thanks.

Change doesn’t happen unless the steps that are taken, are taken. More people disagreeing with somebody doesn’t make them right by default. The entire continent buys into the faith of the region because it makes decisions for them and tells them what to think (not so different from some folks in the real world to be fair).

I’ve yet to see any reason to believe Rhea would willingly give up her throne to the people. The BE ending is the only one where that actually happens, because she’s removed from power, after she herself sets fire to an entire city, the capital of the people who follow her closest...just like she takes advantage of Dimitri and leaves him to die after she fails.

I’m the context of Three Houses, I’m still with Edelgard. The world needs to change and frankly, not incrementally.

Really comes down to ideology.

Plus this “she killed thousands” is unfortunate. But as she fights, is she the one saying to “kill them all”? Rather she seems to save those she can by taking out the leaders first.

It comes down to this: fight for what you believe in against an oppressor, or letting the oppressor continue to oppress.

I see Rhea as the oppressor, who uses Dimitri as her lapdog. Dimitri is a good man, no doubt. But he lacks vision of his own, or doesn’t care enough about changing lives for the better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It’s not BBC Sherlock. It’s the Conan Doyle estate. They insist on trying to maintain ahold of the copyright to the character despite being in the public domaine by most readings of the law. Some people can afford to keep their lawyers away. Which is how we get things like Sherlock and Elementary. Others can not, mostly Japanese companies, which is why things like that movie and that one Ace Attorney game can’t leave Japan.

Also, BBC Sherlock is long canceled if memory serves.
Ah, my bad

Also smh we're talking about 3H morality when the BL route is the only one that isn't grey from what I've seen

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can't believe I'm finding myself agreeing with you 100%. Please keep bringing out the 3H essays, my man.
Can’t believe you’re agreeing with me? Come now. There’s plenty of room for agreement when it comes to changing the world order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom