• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
And the universe spited me back by having them be the only company actually interested in my favorite genres anymore.

At the risk of coming off racist, I just want more American games. I want more american made fighting games, and hack n slashes, and platformers, and plenty of other genres that I’m not into. There’s just a different flavor to content made in each respective region and I don’t like Japanese food. I mean, I can put up with it when it’s the only thing on the menu, but I’d much rather go to the burger place down town. Oh wait, I can’t go there anymore because “the market shifted” and now all they do is make quinoa salads because it’s “more artistic” and “better for you”. Makes me wanna throw up.
...what?

You know Nintendo being a succeful company doesn't mean that other video game Americain company can't have their part of the cake too, right?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Sure. The company is. But most of their big first party franchises are made by American studios. Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Sony Santa Monica, etc. They’re all american studios.
Nintendo's got some western studios too, ya know...

Retro Studios for one.

And while they don't necessarily own Next Level Games, they are planning to work exclusively with Nintendo from now on.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I honestly don't care where my games come from lol.

With that said, I don't like when people complain that western games are "too
political", and then treat Japanese games as the Holy Grail of apolitical games that never "get woke", that's lame and isn't even true in the slightest.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just thought this was neat.

Basically Claude takes a ton of inspiration from ancient Persian and Turkish culture as opposed to the Western European flair that most Fire Emblem lords get. Also notable that he's one of the very few important explicitly-middle eastern Nintendo characters, alongside Bald Bull and possibly Ganondorf/the Gerudo (though they're a bit more of a hodgepodge).

Nifty.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Speaking of Next Level Games, new Mario Strikers please?
The Mario Strikers games were something special for sure.

They had this sort of edge to them that I'm kinda surprised Nintendo even approved of.

That, and I absolutely loved how they gave each captain their own style of theme music in Charged.

Whoever proposed the idea of giving Waluigi bluegrass needs a pay raise.

Really hope we get another one. Would love to see Rosalina and others join in on the fun.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
...what?

You know Nintendo being a succeful company doesn't mean that other video game Americain company can't have their part of the cake too, right?
It sure feels like it sometimes. No matter what anyone else does, they struggle to sell and maintain an audience without dumbing down/ruining their series. Or filling it up with micro transactions that make the game unplayable.

Meanwhile all Nintendo has to do is sneeze and it will sell millions. Even if it’s not good. It’s the same problem I have with Disney.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It sure feels like it sometimes. No matter what anyone else does, they struggle to sell and maintain an audience without dumbing down/ruining their series. Or filling it up with micro transactions that make the game unplayable.

Meanwhile all Nintendo has to do is sneeze and it will sell millions. Even if it’s not good. It’s the same problem I have with Disney.
Man, I sure do wish Nintendo sneeze out F-Zero here and then and sell millions easily, cuz' while I ain't no F-Zero fan, I sure know alot of peoples who would want anything tht isn't cameo at this point.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well, if it makes you feel better, modern day DK and Metroid are pretty much dumped onto American Studios.
Nintendo's got some western studios too, ya know...

Retro Studios for one.

And while they don't necessarily own Next Level Games, they are planning to work exclusively with Nintendo from now on.
Not really the point. Although that does explain why DKC appeals to me in a way no other series they own really does.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The Wii U alone seems to disprove that last part.

I'm sure there are plenty of inventive indie games that think outside the box when it comes to gameplay, but you can't expect independent developers to reinvent the wheel whenever they make a new game, especially if funding or income is uncertain. Some times, people want to take what they love and expand on it, or add to it, or pay tribute to it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean, personally, looking at the Switch, the only million plus seller that I think can be truly called bad would be 1, 2, Switch but it makes sense given the context. Yeah it's basically a tech demo, but it came out when there were only like three other games on the system.

All the other top sellers for Nintendo I'd say are at least quality games.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Idk, Federation Force and Color Splash (even though people ended up liking CS in retrospect) both did pretty terribly, Amiibo Cash Grab Festival is considered to be amongst the worst game on the Wii U, and it did awful, Codename Steam... yeah, remember that game?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Idk, Federation Force and Color Splash (even though people ended up liking CS in retrospect) both did pretty terribly, Amiibo Cash Grab Festival is considered to be amongst the worst game on the Wii U, and it did awful, Codename Steam... yeah, remember that game?
It's very sad to see Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. listed alongside Amiibo Festival.

S.T.E.A.M. deserved better. :/

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of Next Level Games, new Mario Strikers please?
Hopefully once they're done with Luigi's Mansion 3

Completely depends on the series - yeah, Pokemon, Smash and Mario Kart are always gonna do well, but their smaller franchises are by no means guaranteed successful sales

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I mean, personally, looking at the Switch, the only million plus seller that I think can be truly called bad would be 1, 2, Switch but it makes sense given the context. Yeah it's basically a tech demo, but it came out when there were only like three other games on the system.

isnt MK8D still selling?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It's very sad to see Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. listed alongside Amiibo Festival.

S.T.E.A.M. deserved better. :/
people: "man i wish intsys did more than just making fire emblem every few years"
intsys: makes codename STEAM, a big passion project of theirs
people: "man i wish intsys just stuck to fire emblem"

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Still applying for jobs, hoping my interviews go well this week. I have a set of 4 interviews/shadowing sessions within the next 7 days, so it better yield something positive. That's the most I've ever had within one week so far.
Good luck man, I hope you get something.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
people: "man i wish intsys did more than just making fire emblem every few years"
intsys: makes codename STEAM, a big passion project of theirs
people: "man i wish intsys just stuck to fire emblem"
In my honest opinion, I feel like the crests are to blame here.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The Wii U alone seems to disprove that last part.

I'm sure there are plenty of inventive indie games that think outside the box when it comes to gameplay, but you can't expect independent developers to reinvent the wheel whenever they make a new game, especially if funding or income is uncertain. Some times, people want to take what they love and expand on it, or add to it, or pay tribute to it.
i understand. I still think they look very samey. But whatever. I guess I’m wrong.

I don’t know. Am I wrong in thinking that most of what we saw looked like HD versions of titles you’d find on the SNES? Every 3D game was either a shooter or that weird Minecraft copycat with anti-grav gimmicks.

Honestly. That’s the part that frustrates me the most.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
i understand. I still think they look very samey. But whatever. I guess I’m wrong.

Honestly. That’s the part that frustrates me the most.
I'm not sure what you mean. You're upset that Nintendo games sell so much when you think they're often pretty bad, but you're also upset that all but, like, one of the best selling first party Switch games are good games?

I'm just trying to understand.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
The Sonic discussion is mind boggling to me, why should Nintendo be blamed for Sega making bad decisions with the Sonic franchise? It's not like Nintendo physically marched into Sega and said "split your team up so we get a game," Sega just tends to make bad business decisions, they always have. Looking at you Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

And I don't like the idea that Nintendo should be chastised for making a console that's underpowered compared to the competition, if the Wii had the same power as the 360 or PS3 it probably would have cost an extra $100 or more. Being underpowered is what made the Wii interesting, it appealed to a wider range of people because it had a lower price point. Forcing companies to have strict guidelines on how powerful a console should be would kill creativity.

Also, Disney "sneezed out" Dumbo and it flopped.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure what you mean. You're upset that Nintendo games sell so much when you think they're often pretty bad, but you're also upset that all but, like, one of the best selling first party Switch games are good games?

I'm just trying to understand.
What I think is good and what everyone else thinks is good is often very different. And when games that I don’t like do well, it means that we get less of the ones I do.

When Nintendo does well other people fail. There are only so many studios. So many potential employees. And people only have so much money to spend on games.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo flat out cannibilized their own franchise with Steam, aside from the fact that there was nothing special abiut it when it was shown off at E3, STEAM also was competing with Splatoon, which got all the hype for being a Nintendo shooter, but STEAM just got a measly Treehouse presentation which just showed off the same level for like 30 minutes, 1 amiibo trailer, and that's it. Barely any hands on, lack of info, large droughts for a game not very convincing, so it fizzled out and died on arrival.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What I think is good and what everyone else thinks is good is often very different. And when games that I don’t like do well, it means that we get less of the ones I do.

When Nintendo does well other people fail. There are only so many studios. So many potential employees. And people only have so much money to spend on games.
That's what I don't get. It's not like a Kirby outperforming a Mass Effect game means the Mass Effect devs are going to be forced to make Kirby games. It's a correlation vs causation issue.

Not to mention different audiences exist for different games. Do you have any examples of the bolded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom