• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
These things?

They call them muffins. From what I've just looked up and been disgusted by, biscuit means something like a scone in North America.

Like wtf, it wasn't enough to change spelling of things, US English had to completely change the meaning of Jam, Biscuit and Cookies. It's like it was designed to **** up morning and afternoon tea.
it didn't even occur to me that americans were calling scones 'biscuits'

jesus christ america get your **** together

MainJPW

M.T.A
Glad to know this impresses you like it does me.

I think Project Hero is made by a team of three or four people, but you're right that this is the kind of new blood they need.
I heard it was developed by two people.

Project Hero had a really neat touch in earlier builds where, if you used the Drop Dash while in free fall, Sonic would throw out his arms before rolling in a shout-out to the Sonic CD opening. It was one of my favourite little things in the old showcase but I'm not sure if it's still present.
Oh yeah, this?

Sonic Utopia has him do this, too.

When I see Project Hero and Sonic Utopia I see how much potential 3D gameplay still has because right now these are easily the best and most faithful recreation of 2D physics in 3D...and that's where the level design that compliments the physics and gameplay elements comes in. With a game that replicates Sonic's 2D physics on a 3D plane, you can make some extravagant levels.

Don’t get too excited. Unless this fan game drops the Sonic characters asap it’s DMCA City.
No it's not, SEGA's cool with this kind of stuff.
Seriously, what ****ing happened?
Lack of budget and shifting around of developers. The guys who worked on Generations went to work on Mario & Sonic. The guys who worked on Forces were the branch who worked on Lost World.
Things were going good with Colors and Generations and then.... I don’t know what to say about Lost World, it was just... eh. Then the next game in line is Forces which was fun yes, but really uninspired and so god damn short.
Forces has far more problems than just being short and uninspired.

It's a full-on trainwreck built off of Lost World's engine with bad physics and linear, boring, and uninteresting straight line level design.

It's a smelly game that belongs in the bin and SEGA needs to wake up and start treating their mascot with respect by not allowing trash to hit the shelves.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It's a smelly game that belongs in the bin and SEGA needs to wake up and start treating their mascot with respect by not allowing trash to hit the shelves.
Now I ain't goin that far.

It's till pretty fun aside from Classic Sonic segments. Kinda mindless fun, but fun.

And that said:

I do concede all points here.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Please use collapse tags/regular links when posting large images/media
I like the Non-Classic Sonic parts of Sonic Forces but I can't for the life of me figure out what level of Irony it's on.

It's like playing a Sonic Fan-fic with the "Oh dear Lord that kid needs therapy now!" parts cut out.

And I am glad they brought back lyrical themes. Modern Sonic isn't Modern Sonic without the buttrock.

Fist Bump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gc0169Ht48
Infinite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8_XJn7Jhrk
Avatar Green Hill Zone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIODPvMdISw

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
These things?

They call them muffins. From what I've just looked up and been disgusted by, biscuit means something like a scone in North America.

Like wtf, it wasn't enough to change spelling of things, US English had to completely change the meaning of Jam, Biscuit and Cookies. It's like it was designed to **** up morning and afternoon tea.
Americans call scones biscuits?

America... what the **** are you playing at?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
No, we call them scones. What we call "biscuits" may look similar, but they're not the same :yoshi:
Why are you calling things similar to scones biscuits?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
don't call yourself a biscuit if you don't have that satisfying crunch

1559643761325.png

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We Americans can call biscuits whatever we please. We live in a free country. It's our right.

But I suppose you outsiders with your fancy-dancy metric systems wouldn't understand.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
We Americans can call biscuits whatever we please. We live in a free country. It's our right.

But I suppose you outsiders with your fancy-dancy metric systems wouldn't understand.
your biscuits are built on a mountain of lies

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Also they're crisps not chips

Crisps - crunchy things you buy in small (mostly air-filled) bags to have as a snack
Chips - thicker potato-y things you have with condiments like ketchup or mayo
French fries - a specific kind of chip (i.e. doesn't refer to all of them) which are much thinner and are typically served by Maccy D's

Get it rite u silly yankees

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Also they're crisps not chips

Crisps - crunchy things you buy in small (mostly air-filled) bags to have as a snack
Chips - thicker potato-y things you have with condiments like ketchup or mayo
French fries - a specific kind of chip (i.e. doesn't refer to all of them) which are much thinner and are typically served by Maccy D's

Get it rite u silly yankees
You lost the Australian here. We just call them all chips.

We also call McDonald's, Macca's.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know if someone's fact checked you, but actually Ace Attorney started on the Gameboy Advanced. The first game released in 2001. The series has also always been exclusive to Nintendo outside of remakes and ports. New releases hit Nintendo consoles first before any other system.

If you're going to try to discredit Phoenix Wright, at least get your facts straight.
I don’t even know why I said 3DS, it’s like I knew it was on Nintendo consoles earlier than that but still put 3DS. Big oof on my part. Probably on autopilot at the time.

I wouldn’t say i’m discrediting him. I’m planning on playing the series myself, as i’ve heard great things about the series, but I just don’t think he has the same odds of getting in over a larger demographic. His series being more prominent in Nintendo Handhelds makes it seem even more that it’s not expanding the demographic nearly as much, which is why I think he’ll miss out.

It’s got nothing to do with quality or “discrediting” the series. I’m sure he’s a great character.

But we’ll see. Still betting on another Capcom series getting in.

EDIT: Also, I almost forgot, but i’m glad to see you’re back!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A friend of mine drew this for me and OH MY GOD I LOVE IT
My OC is on the left and his is on the right.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I heard it was developed by two people.

Oh yeah, this?

Sonic Utopia has him do this, too.

When I see Project Hero and Sonic Utopia I see how much potential 3D gameplay still has because right now these are easily the best and most faithful recreation of 2D physics in 3D...and that's where the level design that compliments the physics and gameplay elements comes in. With a game that replicates Sonic's 2D physics on a 3D plane, you can make some extravagant levels.

No it's not, SEGA's cool with this kind of stuff.

Lack of budget and shifting around of developers. The guys who worked on Generations went to work on Mario & Sonic. The guys who worked on Forces were the branch who worked on Lost World.

Forces has far more problems than just being short and uninspired.

It's a full-on trainwreck built off of Lost World's engine with bad physics and linear, boring, and uninteresting straight line level design.

Most companies aren’t Nintendo. If they put money into a product, they HAVE to sell it, because otherwise it could do major damage to their financial standing and they won’t be able to make games anymore. It’s not like the games just happen and SEGA just screens them before sending them out to be printed.

As for Forces... I mean, it’s not great. But now that i’ve played it, I don’t feel it’s anything to get angry over either. Not even Classic Sonic. I mean, it helps that I’m not the biggest fan of the genesis games/controls. Not even Mania.

Seriously, at least with Forces I was able to comfortably get through it and have some semblance of fun. In Mania I would game over every two minutes and shout “what am I even supposed to do?”

Also, I like the boost formula. I haven’t played the Adventure games (probably won’t unless they get N. Sane style total remakes, too buggy with a weird ass artstyle), but boosting like that in a game like Generations makes you feel sooo ****ing powerful! The physics, I don’t know, that feels harmless enough. It’s the controls I worry about. I probably won’t play Mania’s sequel or any Classic Sonic games because I can’t get behind the controls. If they made a whole game out of Generations Classic Sonic, then I could get behind that. But if MODERN Sonic got all those “move faster than the speed of sound into enemies and obstacles and take damage because you’re not invincible while running but your also not a god so you have to just play over and over again till you’ve memorized the level, but you can’t even do that because you’ve got lives which force you to restart the level every 3 deaths and prevent you from actually practicing the part you’re stuck on” then I would scream bloody murder.

Seriously, what is even the point of lives. I get it in Arcades, a life is a try at the game, pay to get more, that kind of thing. But in consoles, I never understood the point of them, for the reasons outlined above. Can we just agree as a society that we’re beyond lives and ban them from being in any more games?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if someone's fact checked you, but actually Ace Attorney started on the Gameboy Advanced. The first game released in 2001. The series has also always been exclusive to Nintendo outside of remakes and ports. New releases hit Nintendo consoles first before any other system.

If you're going to try to discredit Phoenix Wright, at least get your facts straight.

I had nothing else productive to say.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Listen fam.

Listen.

I just want fried potatoes and baked goods.

And as long as they're tasty I don't care what they are or what you call em.

Just pass me some already.

Thread making me hungry again smh.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is it weird that one of the reasons I haven’t bought the Ace Attorney collection yet is because I can only get it digitally, and I like having physical copies of games?

Anyone else like that with physical vs. digital games?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Is it weird that one of the reasons I haven’t bought the Ace Attorney collection yet is because I can only get it digitally, and I like having physical copies of games?

I ultimately prefer having physical copies, but at the end of the day, if I want a game and it’s just not available, i’ll buy the digital version. Like with Fighting EX Layer. Arika can’t afford a physical release and I want to support Arika. So, I’m gonna buy the digital.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think I was click baited by history.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2019/5/27/18526122/sega-girls-task-force-female-players

Like, that headline did happen, but nothing exciting came out of it. The only thing that did was me feeling slightly invalidated as a trans person because I like “boy games” according to market research from the 1990s”. It’s rediculous, but that’s the human brain and emotions for you.

Like the time one of my film teachers said about one of my female classmates that “you can tell when a film was made by a woman”. I don’t think she meant anything by it but I was hurt by that sentiment.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Most companies aren’t Nintendo. If they put money into a product, they HAVE to sell it, because otherwise it could do major damage to their financial standing and they won’t be able to make games anymore.
Which is why they released things like Starfox 2 on the SNES, Earthbound 64, Metroid 64, the Wii Vitality Sensor and also didn't scrap Metroid Prime 4 and restart from scratch.

With things like iTunes shutting down and now Telltale Games disappearing, you're not the only one. I always grab physical when I can. And half he time these days, it ends up being cheaper too.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Which is why they released things like Starfox 2 on the SNES, Earthbound 64, Metroid 64, the Wii Vitality Sensor and also didn't scrap Metroid Prime 4 and restart from scratch.
.... did you read my post.

I’m saying that Nintendo are the only people who CAN do that stuff because they’ve got so much stockpiled money. But the likes of SEGA, Capcom, Namco, or even smaller indie devs, that’s a luxury they can’t afford.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

With things like iTunes shutting down and now Telltale Games disappearing, you're not the only one. I always grab physical when I can. And half he time these days, it ends up being cheaper too.
Wait. iTunes is shutting down!?! What does that even mean?!?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They are phasing it out in favor of their streaming service. Currently you can listen to songs you purchased on itunes through this service (with an option for offline copies), but I have no clue what they will do with that feature next.
But like, I have a windows computer.

Also, what if I just want to buy the song I want and not pay monthly for a service and thousands of songs I never will listen too. And what about all those indie creators? It was SOOOO easy to publish your songs on iTunes. Is that just gone now?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
But like, I have a windows computer.

Also, what if I just want to buy the song I want and not pay monthly for a service and thousands of songs I never will listen too. And what about all those indie creators? It was SOOOO easy to publish your songs on iTunes. Is that just gone now?
You can do Apple Music on Windows I think, but there are a ton of other streaming and/or purchasing services that allow you to buy without having a subscription.

On the indie creator front, Bandcamp is pretty much the biggest indie site. Especially if you want to purchase individual albums. But even then, most bands nowadays publish across the major streaming sites like Google, Spotify, Apple, etc instead of just Bandcamp or Itunes.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You can do Apple Music on Windows I think, but there are a ton of other streaming and/or purchasing services that allow you to buy without having a subscription.

On the indie creator front, Bandcamp is pretty much the biggest indie site. Especially if you want to purchase individual albums. But even then, most bands nowadays publish across the major streaming sites like Google, Spotify, Apple, etc instead of just Bandcamp or Itunes.
I’m talking about Random Encounters and Big Bad Bosses. Or Epic Rap Battles of History. Those kinds of people. Bands are bands. Don’t really care. But those youtube creators. This was perfect for their music.

I don’t want to have to use other services. I want to click the link in the description on my phone, go straight to the iTunes page, and then buy it and immediately be able to listen to it in the music app without having to run it through conversion programs and violating copyright law.

God, if there is one invention I could erase from history, it would be Netflix streaming services. Because it’s causing entertainment to move away from “pay a bunch of money for the one thing you want” to “pay is a smaller amount of money every month for the rest of your life for all this stuff you don’t even want! Oh, and we reserve the right to remove it from the service at any time”. I just want to own the media I want, nothing else, and be able to watch it whenever I want. And not have to chain my credit card to 50 different subscriptions. God damn, **** subscriptions.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I’m talking about Random Encounters and Big Bad Bosses. Or Epic Rap Battles of History. Those kinds of people. Bands are bands. Don’t really care. But those youtube creators. This was perfect for their music.

I don’t want to have to use other services. I want to click the link in the description on my phone, go straight to the iTunes page, and then buy it and immediately be able to listen to it in the music app without having to run it through conversion programs and violating copyright law.

God, if there is one invention I could erase from history, it would be Netflix streaming services. Because it’s causing entertainment to move away from “pay a bunch of money for the one thing you want” to “pay is a smaller amount of money every month for the rest of your life for all this stuff you don’t even want! Oh, and we reserve the right to remove it from the service at any time”. I just want to own the media I want, nothing else, and be able to watch it whenever I want. And not have to chain my credit card to 50 different subscriptions. God damn, **** subscriptions.
... But there are many other services that do exactly what you're describing. Heck, Google does both at once. Subscriptions didn't take away this feature.

I expect the youtube creators will move to other platforms like bandcamp, if they haven't already.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
... But there are many other services that do exactly what you're describing. Heck, Google does both at once. Subscriptions didn't take away this feature.

I expect the youtube creators will move to other platforms like bandcamp, if they haven't already.
Did I mention I have an iPhone? It was all just so convenient before. Apple has my card in it and when I want to buy a song, I just click a few buttons. Now, i’ll Have to drag out my computer, put in my card info every single time, and then somehow break the copyright protection so I can upload it to my iTunes library and listen to it on my phone.

And it’s not just music. It’s movies, games, comics, tv, everything. I’m so sick of subscriptions and streaming. I just want what I want. And I want to watch it whenever I want. And I don’t want to have to live in fear of John universal insulting Mr Netflix’s dog’s sweater at a Christmas party and now I can’t watch Jurassic Park anymore.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Did I mention I have an iPhone? It was all just so convenient before. Apple has my card in it and when I want to buy a song, I just click a few buttons. Now, i’ll Have to drag out my computer, put in my card info every single time, and then somehow break the copyright protection so I can upload it to my iTunes library and listen to it on my phone.

And it’s not just music. It’s movies, games, comics, tv, everything. I’m so sick of subscriptions and streaming. I just want what I want. And I want to watch it whenever I want. And I don’t want to have to live in fear of John universal insulting Mr Netflix’s dog’s sweater at a Christmas party and now I can’t watch Jurassic Park anymore.
Then in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kept the option for direct purchases.

But Bandcamp and many other platforms pride themselves on being DRM free. No copyright protection. Same with a ton of other platforms for other forms of media too. There's a great balance of options out there nowadays.

Today's the final day of my tenure at my workplace. Gonna feel weird leaving; it's depressing.
I know this feeling too well. I hope it goes OK for you.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like the final Sega Genesis Mini games were announced with no sign of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Ristar, Revenge of Shinobi, Pulseman, or Rocket Knight Adventures.

Still we got some big titles in return to bring the total up to 42 games. Monster World IV will get it's first physical English release. Alisia Dragoon is a hidden gem (JP Boxart is amazing). MD Tetris isn't particularly great, but it's big because it's the rarest Sega Genesis game by a long shot and is the first international release of this version (JP only PS2 port).

Why they gave us the hot mess that is Virtua Fighter 2 is beyond me.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kept the option for direct purchases.

But Bandcamp and many other platforms pride themselves on being DRM free. No copyright protection. Same with a ton of other platforms for other forms of media too. There's a great balance of options out there nowadays.

I know this feeling too well. I hope it goes OK for you.
Ok then. I guess.

Even if there are options, I will miss the days when it was more self contained and simple.

And I still hate streaming and subscription services.

Looks like the final Sega Genesis Mini games were announced with no sign of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Ristar, Revenge of Shinobi, Pulseman, or Rocket Knight Adventures.

Still we got some big titles in return to bring the total up to 42 games. Monster World IV will get it's first physical English release. Alisia Dragoon is a hidden gem (JP Boxart is amazing). MD Tetris isn't particularly great, but it's big because it's the rarest Sega Genesis game by a long shot and is the first international release of this version (JP only PS2 port).

Why they gave us the hot mess that is Virtua Fighter 2 is beyond me.
There’s some weird copyright BS between SEGA and Micheal Jackson. Sonic 3 gets like, no love because of it. I’m really surprised we didn’t get any Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom