• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They went into the 4.0 details as well. If there was other content, they would have probably shown it.
They spent barely any time on it. Even joker’s presentation focused just as much on 3.0 content. This barely did that and had even more time dedicated to it. But that time went straight to dragon quest and pointing out the finest if details. It couldn’t be more obviously they were trying their best to promote the franchise above all else. We have to wait and see when the update drops, it I really don’t think extra content is unlikely

D

Deleted member

It’s very clear that the presentation was just made as a huge dragon quest advertising campaign. I doubt square wanted anything else they had stealing the spotlight. After all the rumors going around were saying he was in for promotion.
The whole Sakurai advertising DQ bit made me think sumthin was up.

D

Deleted member

Bottom-line is:
-Prior to the video we didn't know what the **** was going on with the last 2 characters
-Now that the video is out we still don't know what the **** is going on with the last 2 characters

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If Sakurai wanted to rip bandages off quickly he would've showed Shadow and Isaac earlier and not save them until the end. I don't really see the logic to how Geno not getting his mii costume back means he's playable when the possibility that his mii costume got cut very much exists. Isaac had his AT cut back in Smash 4, he didn't turn up playable as DLC for Smash 4 or this game.
Shadow is a stretch. He didn’t pick up until they revealed echos.

And Sakurai definitely does rip bandages off. Remember in the August direct? They shoved Ashley in the new assist trophy section just to show she wasn’t playable because was becoming so requested. She was very much put their to quiet and not disappoint her fan base any further. Issac is a weird scenario, but maybe he’s not as popular as everyone thinks. Thats a mystery, but As I stated the other two have solid reasons behind them

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bottom-line is:
-Prior to the video we didn't know what the **** was going on with the last 2 characters
-Now that the video is out we still don't know what the **** is going on with the last 2 characters
Do you expect a reveal or something?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is it like Mokujin in Tekken where he randomly selects another fighter's moveset?

Wouldn't that be a fancy random button when you get down to it?
Yes but one that changes between rounds, not just picking the fighter for the match.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
They spent barely any time on it. Even joker’s presentation focused just as much on 3.0 content. This barely did that and had even more time dedicated to it. But that time went straight to dragon quest and pointing out the finest if details. It couldn’t be more obviously they were trying their best to promote the franchise above all else. We have to wait and see when the update drops, it I really don’t think extra content is unlikely
Keep in mind that this was promoted as a demo from the very beginning. If Nintendo had plans to promote other new content outside of Hero, they probably would've advertised it as a Direct.

StormC

Smash Hero
I would put mad cash down for a Grunty costume. The only costumes I bought last time were K. Rool and Geno.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Keep in mind that this was promoted as a demo from the very beginning. If Nintendo had plans to promote other new content outside of Hero, they probably would've advertised it as a Direct.
Maybe, but at the same time I feel it’s no coincidence that this is about the character from what seems to be the hardest company to work with. So it being treated differently and being basically all hero, makes me really think square had a hand in how they would showcase this or they would have done what they did with joker.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If none of the other heroes were in as alts, DQ would’ve only have two songs in Smash from DQ11.

DQ was barely close from repeating a FF situation, and the DQ spirit list seems abysmally smaller than Persona 5’s.
I'm pretty sure it'd have more if it was only 1. The licensing agreement would've just changed.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But why are they named after the number game they're in? That is sooooo dumb.
because thats what the fans call them in JP and also, that isnt their names, they literaly dont have any canon names. Only thing with a canon name with the Heros is Munchie

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother looking into the Mii Costumes anymore. Ever since Ultimate was first announced, we've been trying to create some type of pattern with both old and new costumes, but nothing has really stuck yet.

This new theory of "X series doesn't have Mii Costumes, therefore it's more likely" doesn't do us squat. Literally any franchise not already represented in Smash is fair game, and that doesn't help us narrow things down at all. And even then, this theory has a lot of flaws in its logic. I could argue a Pokemon newcomer is more likely because we don't have any Pokemon Mii Costumes yet.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo costumes? Mumbo, Grunty, Bottles, Banjo, etc. could all be turned into costumes.
I think if there were no rumors, that would be the most likely scenario. However, since Verge was mentioning Minecraft content since April 2018, I think it's likely it was referring to Mii costumes. Could be spirits or some other form of representation, but I think it's much more likely for Microsoft to have more content, especially since they were likely one of the easier companies to work with. Added to the datamine showed Rare spirits in the code, so I think at the very least, we will get non-Banjo content in one form or the other.

The lack of expected content coming with Hero may not be that predictive and could just be Square being square.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
They didn’t spend much time on the other content since that was all they had to show. There’s no other reason. And pointing out fine details is something they do for every fighter. At the end of the day, companies do this to promote their brand and to please fans. There’s nothing wrong with promoting something. I agree that Square can be a bit stingy, but in this case they are just doing what’s best for them and for the fans. They get money, fans get The Hero.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Maybe, but at the same time I feel it’s no coincidence that this is about the character from what seems to be the hardest company to work with. So it being treated differently and being basically all hero, makes me really think square had a hand in how they would showcase this or they would have done what they did with joker.
To be fair, it's not like Atlus didn't cash in on Joker's Direct. Weren't two new Persona games shown off just a few days later?

While I do think SE had some input, I feel like this was mainly Sakurai eagerly showing everyone what he's been working on and how much attention to detail he put into Hero. I don't think this was necessarily one big DQ ad.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
Alright, just finished watching the demo. Hero looks solid, he has a really good moveset, espically that down special. His new stage looks clean, and we have more than one music track!!!! Thank God.

As far as 4.0, I like the new prediction thing that was added in spectator. I kinda laughed at the very easy mode in WoL, bu eh, whatever.

Overall, Hero looks solid! Now to just wait for him to come out later in the day!

osby

Smash Obsessed
So just like ATLUS forcing Sakurai to hold off Joker until their concert.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
ngl if there is absolutely no Minecraft content coming then I'd be salty, mostly at Vergeben for leading us on a wild goose chase all this time.

StormC

Smash Hero
ngl if there is absolutely no Minecraft content coming then I'd be salty, mostly at Vergeben for leading us on a wild goose chase all this time.
I mean, Vergeben never promised a character. He was very careful with his words. He always said it was "possible."

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Dragon Quest comes from Enix.

Geno and Final Fantasy come from Square.

They're one company now, but still; different branches handling stuff.

I mean, Vergeben never promised a character. He was very careful with his words. He always said it was "possible."
He did believe in "content," though.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I had a feeling Mii Costumes were going to be a hot topic after today.

I'm a bit foggy on which Square costumes are missing, but if it's just Geno then yeah I don't think that's enough to kill the whole Mii Costume theory. He very obviously has other limitations that could have prevented his costume from coming back.

Can we talk about Hero though?

As a representative of Dragon Quest, he does a good job of it. His moveset really embodies the RPG genre and it's clear they really wanted to stuff as much as they could into the character.

That being said, him embodying that makes me think he's gonna be incredibly salt inducing. The MP costs didn't really seem too big, and he got quite a bit back from aerials. On top of this some of his spells seem really powerful, Snooze especially being the big one. It's fast, comes out quick, applies the sleep effect AND CAN WORK IN THE AIR. I think it's gonna be a pretty good edgeguarding tool, despite the fact it only goes straight.

The crit mechanic on smashes is something that completely caught me off guard and seems like another big salt inducer. Luigi Misfire effect on a smash is not something I thought I'd ever have to face in a Smash game.

The matchup seems like it's gonna require a lot of practice just to remember all of his spells and how to react to them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the community grow to dislike fighting against him.

You guys want to hear the scary thing about Hero?

Not all of his spells were shown.

Sizz, Sizzle, Whack, and Boom where nowhere to be seen.
Sizz and Sizzle are the only spell variant we didn't see, and it's being described as a moving pillar of fire similar to Robin's arcfire.

Whack is the weaker version of Thwack, and Boom is the weaker version of Kaboom.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Today, I learned Solo's voice actor also voices Trunks regularly. This game by default is an anime crossover.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't be surprised to see the community grow to dislike fighting against him.
Me too, this community dislikes fighting against pretty much any character that isn't Fox or Captain Falcon.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly with what Sakurai said about the Geno costume last time, I'd find it very disappointing if it stays gone and there's still no playable Geno.

inb4 someone tells me to "lower my expectations" when they're already decently low and I'm the calm disappointment kind of guy.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not sure, but I don't recall that.
I don't think he said anything about Minecraft when saying he heard Banjo; someone may have asked him if it was still coming but I'm not sure.
I tried to look it up and this is what I found, he says he still believes Minecraft content is happening. He had the chance to drop Minecraft right here and there while leaking Banjo but he still said Minecraft is getting content of some sort.

Screenshot_2019-07-30 Does Vergeben have anything to say about the Banjo leaks - Super Smash B...png

Potato_

Smash Lord
Me too, this community dislikes fighting against pretty much any character that isn't Fox or Captain Falcon.
Fox sometimes too. I think Falcon is the only character that doesn't get any complaints funnily enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom