• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I need to buy books for school ;-; but now I don't want to do it online ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
That reminds me that I haven't caught a shiny since last year :troll:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
hm....

now it wandered its way onto safari :c

the one time I'm active on this site......

of course this would happen....

and schol starts monday....

so I'll see you guys.....

uh....

in like a year -.-

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
would it be a virus that only appears on this site? All other sites work just fine for me. This one just keeps sending me to different ad things.
I've noticed as well. Usually sends me to some site about a fitness magazine for women.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Most people in Japan assumes that foreigners are unable to speak Japanese. When you do, it's either:

A) a shocked expression followed by a "Come again?" (In Japanese of course)

B) a surprised reaction like "Oh wow your Japanese is so good!"

I've been living in Japan for 5 years now but first came here 10-11 years ago. I still get asked these questions/comments:

A) Can you eat Japanese o-sushi? O-sushi is Japabese raw fish on Japanese vinegar steam white rice. Do you know? (In English)

B) Can you use Japanese hashi? (Chopsticks) (in English)

C) Oh wow, your Japanese is so good! (After hearing me say "Arigatou gozaimasu" or thank you in Japanese) (in Japanese)

D) Do you have Japanese O-shougatsu (New Years) in America?

E) Are you Christian? Every American is Christian, right?

I get these types of questions/comments on a regular basis. Even from people who have known me for years. That's the curse of being a foreigner in Japan. You get the celebrity status (depending where in Japan you live) but you aren't treated as part of the club. Meaning, no matter how good your Japanese is, how much kanji you know, how much about Japanese culture you know, or how you've mastered every dialect; you will still be seen as a foreigner and treated the same.
****, I freaking hate stereotypes. One day! One day I will master a Scottish accent and troll everyone!

Anyway, this might be a joke, but considering that stereotypes do exist, I think it's a thing in most countries where if you don't speak their language and you try your own language, they just **** on you and call you a dumb foreigner or something. But if you try and are bad at their language, they'll still **** on you. Now if you're fluent, then they'll be all amazed and stuff that a foreigner speaks their own language.

There was a story - it might be fictional, but whatever - about a Korean War veteran who was African American. He was shopping in a Korean grocery. For whatever reason, the owners badmouthed African Americans in Korean. You know what's going to happen. The veteran hears everything and when he finishes shopping and pays for his stuff, he thanks them and everything along with telling them he served in the Korean War entirely in Korean. Imagine the look on their faces.

Knowing four languages and swear words in Spanish and Italian - thank my friends and Assassin's Creed - helps and it's kind of hilarious. I might not be fluent with half of them, but it's still funny.

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
This question isn't that surprising considering how Christianity had taken over 66% of the entire planet by storm (Which was something Interesting that I learned in Global History). It's just one of those religions that were easy to spread in the past and exploded in popularity until modern day times. Though I'm not implying that anyone can't feel free to choose their own path regardless of their home or background.
****, I freaking hate stereotypes. One day! One day I will master a Scottish accent and troll everyone!

Anyway, this might be a joke, but considering that stereotypes do exist, I think it's a thing in most countries where if you don't speak their language and you try your own language, they just **** on you and call you a dumb foreigner or something. But if you try and are bad at their language, they'll still **** on you. Now if you're fluent, then they'll be all amazed and stuff that a foreigner speaks their own language.

There was a story - it might be fictional, but whatever - about a Korean War veteran who was African American. He was shopping in a Korean grocery. For whatever reason, the owners badmouthed African Americans in Korean. You know what's going to happen. The veteran hears everything and when he finishes shopping and pays for his stuff, he thanks them and everything along with telling them he served in the Korean War entirely in Korean. Imagine the look on their faces.

Knowing four languages and swear words in Spanish and Italian - thank my friends and Assassin's Creed - helps and it's kind of hilarious. I might not be fluent with half of them, but it's still funny.

I think the 400 years of isolation is still in effect. Gaijin Goomba talks about this and said Japan acts like a far away island. It's especially weird since a nation that has lower moral standards than a doorbell lives next door.

D

Deleted member

I think the 400 years of isolation is still in effect. Gaijin Goomba talks about this and said Japan acts like a far away island. It's especially weird since a nation that has lower moral standards than a doorbell lives next door.
I take offense to this...

...my doorbell is quite refined.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
China or North Korea?

Speaking of North Korea, I finally watched the Interview. Really funny, especially the honey ******* part.

Now it's time to figure out what the censor is!

D

Deleted member

I agree x9000 with this post. People should try to help foreigners rather than telling them they're really bad at it. I honestly think websites should be in all languages to help these kind of users too.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Most people in Japan assumes that foreigners are unable to speak Japanese. When you do, it's either:

I've been living in Japan for 5 years now but first came here 10-11 years ago. I still get asked these questions/comments:

A) Can you eat Japanese o-sushi? O-sushi is Japabese raw fish on Japanese vinegar steam white rice. Do you know? (In English)

C) Oh wow, your Japanese is so good! (After hearing me say "Arigatou gozaimasu" or thank you in Japanese) (in Japanese)

I get these types of questions/comments on a regular basis. Even from people who have known me for years. That's the curse of being a foreigner in Japan. You get the celebrity status (depending where in Japan you live) but you aren't treated as part of the club. Meaning, no matter how good your Japanese is, how much kanji you know, how much about Japanese culture you know, or how you've mastered every dialect; you will still be seen as a foreigner and treated the same.
Had B and C happen to me while I was over there. At Hikone-jou a couple tourists from the other side of the country tapped me on the shoulder and tried to speak in English to me. Was caught off guard but they still impressed for whatever reason.

Same thing happened when a local camera crew at a school my class was visiting asked me a couple questions.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

You mean of being a non-East Asian foreigner right? I'm ethnically Chinese, so I might be able to fit in more, but I'm still sure some people will notice I'm different if I went back to Japan by the way I dress and behave.

R0Y

Smash Master
You mean of being a non-East Asian foreigner right? I'm ethnically Chinese, so I might be able to fit in more, but I'm still sure some people will notice I'm different if I went back to Japan by the way I dress and behave.
It's a reality in Japan that many people would treat a non-Asian foreigner better than one who is Asian but not Japanese. There's a lot of animosity in that part of the world.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's a reality in Japan that many people would treat a non-Asian foreigner better than one who is Asian but not Japanese. There's a lot of animosity in that part of the world.
Many people think I'm part Japanese so maybe i'd fit in. lol

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well, it is an island. :p

Japan is still better than what extremists in Russia, Africa, North Korea, and the Middle East want. At least Japan interacts internationally in a positive way even if internally, they're conservative.

I agree x9000 with this post. People should try to help foreigners rather than telling them they're really bad at it. I honestly think websites should be in all languages to help these kind of users too.
It's also the foreigners (read: tourists) fault too. Question: Why do people go to Africa? Answer: To see the ******* tribes and "noble savages" who might as well be lumped under "exotic animals". Screw you, damned tourists and your preconceptions of the world. If I'm going to Africa, I'm going to see the places Nelson Mandela worked in and other historical stuff. Now, if I was working with African languages or studying African tribes, then of course I'd go see them and treat them with respect instead of being at awe that there are people who choose to live in traditional ways. That's like going to see Amish people like it was a freaking field trip to the zoo.

Even if you don't speak their language, you could at least practice certain phrases like if you're in France, but don't speak French, you could remember the phrase: "Parlez-vous anglais?", which is more or less since literal translations tend to be bad: "Do you speak English?" They might not and they could find someone who does or direct you somehow how to find somewhere that could help you or they might, but at least you tried.

It's just so weird how people are xenophobic of other people or who believe they are superior or all knowing of other people.

Don't like the food or can't eat it for some reason? Politely decline or at least try. Oh, you're a vegetarian, that's fine and would be an easy pass in some places like say, Vietnam since Buddhists are sometimes vegetarians, but meat's not going to kill you. Hell, trying and saying sorry or politely declining is better than treating like what they're eating is savage and disgusting.

D

Deleted member

The only correct way to use a counter:

Wait until the opponent has committed and then laugh.

DISCLAIMER: There are still better ways to kill people. This way is just the most humiliating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I've noticed as well. Usually sends me to some site about a fitness magazine for women.
interesting....

are you on a mac like me?

You having the same problems helps me out a bit. I thought it was going to be like the sheep all over again O_O

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's also the foreigners (read: tourists) fault too. Question: Why do people go to Africa? Answer: To see the ******* tribes and "noble savages" who might as well be lumped under "exotic animals". Screw you, damned tourists and your preconceptions of the world. If I'm going to Africa, I'm going to see the places Nelson Mandela worked in and other historical stuff. Now, if I was working with African languages or studying African tribes, then of course I'd go see them and treat them with respect instead of being at awe that there are people who choose to live in traditional ways. That's like going to see Amish people like it was a freaking field trip to the zoo.

Even if you don't speak their language, you could at least practice certain phrases like if you're in France, but don't speak French, you could remember the phrase: "Parlez-vous anglais?", which is more or less since literal translations tend to be bad: "Do you speak English?" They might not and they could find someone who does or direct you somehow how to find somewhere that could help you or they might, but at least you tried.

It's just so weird how people are xenophobic of other people or who believe they are superior or all knowing of other people.

Don't like the food or can't eat it for some reason? Politely decline or at least try. Oh, you're a vegetarian, that's fine and would be an easy pass in some places like say, Vietnam since Buddhists are sometimes vegetarians, but meat's not going to kill you. Hell, trying and saying sorry or politely declining is better than treating like what they're eating is savage and disgusting.
Is that Discovery Channel in a nutshell? :troll:

Well I guess learning certain phrases works even though you don't know the entire language. That's right.

D

Deleted member

Ooo, Platinum M? Is this like the Project M of Pokémon that brings back the glory days of Pokémon and balances stuff out? :p
Reverts psychic to the Gen 1 form and replaces Sinnoh Region with the Kanto Region.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
China or North Korea?

Speaking of North Korea, I finally watched the Interview. Really funny, especially the honey ****ing part.

Now it's time to figure out what the censor is!
Both actually. They're as paranoid as Stalin and execute more than the rest of the world combined. Kim Jung Ill in the Head and Gi Xingping make the most extreme of fake muslims and stupid patriots look like who you want to be around.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is that Discovery Channel in a nutshell? :troll:

Well I guess learning certain phrases works even though you don't know the entire language. That's right.
Or National Geographic which basically was a poor man's Playboy mag, but now, we have the internet. :p

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
After a long time of debating, I've decided to buy a Tekken 3 arcade machine.

A movie theater in the town next to mine is closing down, and they had three arcade machines: a claw game, a Ms. Pac-Man, and the aforementioned Tekken 3 machine. It's in perfect condition, has everybody already unlocked (I might reset that, though), and has a pre-made feature for coinless gameplay. The asking price is $200, which isn't too steep for such a well-treated machine, as they normally run you $500-1,000. I only have $145, but I have a feeling I can dicker the price a bit since my dad knows the manager of the theater. I might put it in my room, but it would have to obscure a window. Or it can go in my basement, but ever since Japanese crickets migrated there I've been afraid to go downstairs. So storage is pretty much my only issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom