• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Sonic was far more popular on consoles than he'd ever be on PC. It wouldn't make sense. He's finished.
You really don't know that. And he sure wasn't popular on the wii u. I also heard more praise about the steam version of Generations. Especially since you can mod it.

ALSO the steam version of All star racing transformed has way more characters.

Soul.

Speaking of Boom Knux, am I the only one who thinks that he was based on Thrash the Tasmanian Devil? The similarities between both characters do look pretty uncanny (large upper body, long hair, big gloves, ect.) and this guy was even one of Knuckles enemies in the Sonic comics. Hell, the character himself was created for the sake of giving Canon!Knuckles a run for his money given his grudge against the Echidna Race.

That looks like a recolor more than anything. Is that from the Sonic comics?

Also hi.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Speaking of Boom Knux, am I the only one who thinks that he was based on Thrash the Tasmanian Devil? The similarities between both characters do look pretty uncanny (large upper body, long hair, big gloves, ect.) and this guy was even one of Knuckles enemies in the Sonic comics. Hell, the character himself was created for the sake of giving Canon!Knuckles a run for his money given his grudge against the Echidna Race.

I'm not familiar with Sonic's comics, mostly since I'm just not interested in Sonic these days. And the original characters seemed weird. (as opposed to the Mega Man comics, which only introduced a few new humans and a female robot so far, but that's likely just personal preference.) But you have a point there. The only character I really liked that much was Knuckles, which was one of the first examples of a "jarring" redesign.

Thing is, Samus and Link still keep a Japanese feel to them.

That X and Bomberman redesigns hardly retain anything that makes them iconic and the characters that they are.

Compare Link, Samus and Pit (1986 vs. Smash Bros. 4):
[collapse="1986 art work"]

[/collapse]

[collapse="Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U"]

[/collapse]

Yes, the later look more detailed and more modern, but keep their most identifiable traits despite the artistic evolution.

The modern ones are still in-line with Japanese character design: more similar to modern anime like how the original designs were more similar to anime from back then.

You see there's a more natural evolution, without being forced. Sure, Pit was actually forced but it is a what-if design that managed to do the job well in emulating the same art evolution as the likes of Link and Samus.
That much is true. Link Samus and Pit are a bit more closely tied to their original designs, despite being somewhat realistic. That might have to do with said designs not being 100% grounded in reality. But I still see Mega Man X's redesign to be leagues above Bomberman's, though it might not be saying much.

While it's true that the latter two have more western designs, that, to me, isn't the inherently bad part. I'd say that sits more in how well any alternate design can remain recognizable alongside the original. Which is why I think Mega Man X's kind of works, though not as well as Pit or Samus. He's got enough similarities to still be seen as X. Similar color scheme, similar helmet, red lights, arm cannon. Still far from perfect(he could use some saturation and bulkier legs), but at least they tried. With Bomberman, they actively ****ed up, they just had to.

It's an interesting topic to me. Can't help but wonder if any other characters got such major changes, prototypes or not. Simon Belmont comes to mind. But he's far less consistent than the likes of Link, Samus and the even various Mega Men.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Y'know, I must say, after watching some of the SSF2 stream, and seeing the game for the first time in years, I must say that it doesn't look all that bad.

And I like the main theme.
It's pretty cool.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That much is true. Link Samus and Pit are a bit more closely tied to their original designs, despite being somewhat realistic. That might have to do with said designs not being 100% grounded in reality. But I still see Mega Man X's redesign to be leagues above Bomberman's, though it might not be saying much.

While it's true that the latter two have more western designs, that, to me, isn't the inherently bad part. I'd say that sits more in how well any alternate design can remain recognizable alongside the original. Which is why I think Mega Man X's kind of works, though not as well as Pit or Samus. He's got enough similarities to still be seen as X. Similar color scheme, similar helmet, red lights, arm cannon. Still far from perfect(he could use some saturation and bulkier legs), but at least they tried. With Bomberman, they actively ****ed up, they just had to.

It's an interesting topic to me. Can't help but wonder if any other characters got such major changes, prototypes or not. Simon Belmont comes to mind. But he's far less consistent than the likes of Link, Samus and the even various Mega Men.
I think the major fault in that X redesign is how the helmet covers the entire face. It makes the character unrecognizable.

I've seen more realistic designs of Link, Samus and Pit that keep the iconic traits about them. The art style is one thing, another is the characterization of the characters, which is what is at fault with the Bomberman and that X redesign. You can change the former without changing the latter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Actually edgerman was inspired in a bad box art too:
Well I'll be damned, his reboot look actually had meaning to it. The 80's and 90's were the dark ages when plenty of games had misleading or terrible video game box art in the West. Here's a perfect example which is Super Bust-a-Move on the Sega Saturn:

What the hell does a man holding his eyes open with matches has to do with cute dragons solving puzzles? In fact, I REALLY do not want to know.

D

Deleted member

Well I'll be damned, his reboot look actually had meaning to it. The 80's and 90's were the dark ages when plenty of games had misleading or terrible video game box art in the West. Here's a perfect example which is Super Bust-a-Move on the Sega Saturn:

What the hell does a man holding his eyes open with matches has to do with cute dragons solving puzzles? In fact, I REALLY do not want to know.
Now I understand why Acclaim ceased to exist. :troll:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Speaking of villager, I recently got into playing with him. He's very fun! Love all his little tricks he has up his sleeve and all the mix ups you can do. His gyroid and aerials are amazing! <3

I'm also going to try to get back into New leaf since my interest in Animal crossing came back. I do wish I bought the digital version a while back. >.>

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

I realized that trend only stopped when anime and manga started to become more popular outside of Japan.

I agree that some redesigns were questionable at best.

Thankfully, Nintendo didn't do that sort of stuff.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero

'cos it's so addicting, you never know want to look away for a second. You never want to sleep if it means to stop playing. And it's an old man because you will play this game for decades.

In other words, it's a bad retro game box art.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know why Nintendo eShop only accepts Mastercard and Visa cards? It feels redundant that I have to pay for a £10 eShop voucher at minimum if I only want to buy a £3-5 game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Hello, new Desktop Background.
Nice seeing you here.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
On an unrelated note, does anyone know why Nintendo eShop only accepts Mastercard and Visa cards? It feels redundant that I have to pay for a £10 eShop voucher at minimum if I only want to buy a £3-5 game.
Yeah, I've had that happen to me before.

It's kind of frustrating loading my eShop account 10€ just to buy a 3-4€ game, when 5€ would have sufficed. I don't remember loading more than 10€ ever.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think the major fault in that X redesign is how the helmet covers the entire face. It makes the character unrecognizable.

I've seen more realistic designs of Link, Samus and Pit that keep the iconic traits about them. The art style is one thing, another is the characterization of the characters, which is what is at fault with the Bomberman and that X redesign. You can change the former without changing the latter.
Pretty much. I've seen some fan designs that meet a better compromise between realism and mirroring the original. But again, if you ask me, nothing will be as bad as that Bomberman.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Pretty much. I've seen some fan designs that meet a better compromise between realism and mirroring the original. But again, if you ask me, nothing will be as bad as that Bomberman.

My point exactly. In that artwork, you get a definitively Western feel reminiscent of Marvel and DC comics.

Yet, you can immediately identify the characters. You can see those are Mega Man, Proto Man, Bass and Dr. Light at the first glance.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Shenmue supposed to be a spin-off of Virtua Fighter early on? Or am I thinking of another game?

And again on the topic of designs and redesigns, Simon Belmont isn't as consistent as other iconic characters. But they did seem to keep red and black as a fairly common look for him. Super Castlevaina sticks out like a sore thumb, judging solely on the official art. It's the only time he's comprised of mostly "cooler" colors. Even his hair is drastically different. The look itself is fine. But the colors need to fit more with the others.

Last edited:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
My point exactly. In that artwork, you get a definitively Western feel reminiscent of Marvel and DC comics.

Yet, you can immediately identify the characters. You can see those are Mega Man, Proto Man, Bass and Dr. Light at the first glance.
Yeh, and that's Optimus Prime towering in the ba- wait a min.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Speaking of villager, I recently got into playing with him. He's very fun! Love all his little tricks he has up his sleeve and all the mix ups you can do. His gyroid and aerials are amazing! <3

I'm also going to try to get back into New leaf since my interest in Animal crossing came back. I do wish I bought the digital version a while back. >.>
I downlaodd it, I need to remake my town soon XD

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
It amazes me when a company seems to do all the wrong things for a certain product.

Take for instance, a cross-over racing game featuring a whole line-up of Sega characters. What's their idea for DLC characters?
Disney Characters, Valve characters, a sportscar racer and a bloody football coach in a helmet.

I understand the inclusion of Wreck-it Ralph. Valve characters, ehhh, strange and unnecessary. And I wont bother explaining the others.

Playstation All-Stars did it somewhat better, but it was mostly a marketing campaign. There was a quite a few unwanted characters (Heavenly Sword? Eh?), and then there were those that weren't even Playstation exclusive. (Big Daddy, Dante, ...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom