• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Ow the edge Bomberman though:

That seriously has to be the most jarring character redesign in video game history. It makes Boom Knuckles and Bad Box-Art Mega Man look like strokes of genius.

I mean, if this was a stand alone design, it wouldn't even be THAT horrible. At the very least, it's generic robot dude. But the big hand adds something to the aesthetic. But considering it's supposed to be representing Bomberman of all characters, it serverly lacks any connection to the source. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to color him white and blue.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
...I've been thinking. Sure sega is moving to PC/mobile devices, but why does that mean sonic is dead? If I'm not mistaken, PC is a very popular platform. They've been releasing sonic games on the PC. So even if it isn't on consoles, I can still see an actual sonic game be developed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Brawl in the Family made the same joke. But with Dark Olimar.

Yeah, I know.

It's still funny, though. :p

That seriously has to be the most jarring character redesign in video game history. It makes Boom Knuckles and Bad Box-Art Mega Man look like strokes of genius.

I mean, if this was a stand alone design, it wouldn't even be THAT horrible. At the very least, it's generic robot dude. But the big hand adds something to the aesthetic. But considering it's supposed to be representing Bomberman of all characters, it serverly lacks any connection to the source. Hell, they couldn't even be bothered to color him white and blue.

B-but it's realistic and mature, bro! Who wnts to fricking play as kiddy colorful games, dude?

(Misspellings were intentional.)

Wouldn't Giygas's "brain" form with the Ness imagery in its eye count as Dark Ness? :troll:

View attachment 37578
*shrugs*

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
...I've been thinking. Sure sega is moving to PC/mobile devices, but why does that mean sonic is dead? If I'm not mistaken, PC is a very popular platform. They've been releasing sonic games on the PC. So even if it isn't on consoles, I can still see an actual sonic game be developed.
It doesn't I guess, but I've seen what mobile games do to some franchises and I don't like it.
Ex. Breath of Fire ;-;
Maybe if the next couple of Sonic games does well, they'll venture back to console games

Super Bowl Sunday hype

The day where everyone roots for teams they know nothing about
- a salty saints fan, yours truly

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Everything just went downhill after Sonic Generations...
This can't be

D

Deleted member

Super Bowl Sunday hype
The day where everyone roots for teams they know nothing about
- a salty saints fan, yours truly
I root for whoever's winning at the moment. I don't even know the rules of Football.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's going to be Luigi.
My 2 cents:
View attachment 37390

If the placement of the locked character actually means anything (there's always the chance it might not), I have a couple ideas:

- Kirby (like :4dedede:)
- Donkey Kong (like :4diddy:, Dixie Kong, or K. Rool)
- A different Nintendo IP

I have STRONG doubts it could be Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts (or any 3rd party) due to it's clear they made so the top and middle rows are Nintendo characters while the bottom row is 3rd Party & anime.

As usual, I'm not making any real predictions. We'll find out who on the third day.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I simply don't get what happened to Banjo. First there were his N64 games then the next thing i knew, he was moved to xbox and that was it.
Rare and Nintendo had many differences and disputes after Bad Fur Day. So when Microsoft entered the video game business, they sold the british company. Many workers started to left.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Are they stopping with the sonic characters after Tails?
Also what happened to Isaac, if its obvious, then I've been living under a rock

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
B-but it's realistic and mature, bro! Who wnts to fricking play as kiddy colorful games, dude?

(Misspellings were intentional.)
I imagine that's the idea they got in their heads. But I don't mind realistic designs from a previously cartoony character. So long as it's handled properly. You could say that was the case with Link and Samus(compare Zelda 1 Link to Twilight Princess Link for example) to an extent. Mega Man X was going to get one of these designs, for that prototype game but it was just that, a prototype. And it didn't look too terrible(more like an american superhero), could have used some tweaks is all. If someone were to tell me that it was a realistic Mega Man, I'd believe them. Not so much with the Bomberman reject.

D

Deleted member

Isn't it funny that Microsoft actually wanted to buy Nintendo back when the original Xbox was going to launch? It was rejected so we're good.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Are they stopping with the sonic characters after Tails?
Also what happened to Isaac, if its obvious, then I've been living under a rock
I have no idea if we'll see anymore Sanic characters.

As for Isaac, he's coming in the next demo (in fact, he was playable at McLeodGaming's APEX stream). Also announced for the next demo is :4bowser:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Speaking of Boom Knux, am I the only one who thinks that he was based on Thrash the Tasmanian Devil? The similarities between both characters do look pretty uncanny (large upper body, long hair, big gloves, ect.) and this guy was even one of Knuckles enemies in the Sonic comics. Hell, the character himself was created for the sake of giving Canon!Knuckles a run for his money given his grudge against the Echidna Race.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, I just had a pretty lame shopping trip. The GameStop at MOA says they pushed back the wave 3 Amiibos except for bowser. Since I couldn't pick up any of my preorders, I purchased Bowser.

Sonic was far more popular on consoles than he'd ever be on PC. It wouldn't make sense. He's finished.

D

Deleted member

Well, I just had a pretty lame shopping trip. The GameStop at MOA says they pushed back the wave 3 Amiibos except for bowser. Since I couldn't pick up any of my preorders, I purchased Bowser.
The ETA on the GameStop website for everyone (except Bowser) has been 2/13 for a while now. Mega Man and Sonic are dated for 2/20.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553

Sonic was far more popular on consoles than he'd ever be on PC. It wouldn't make sense. He's finished.
I think Bowser is still a good one to get. Shame that happened though.

Thanks, Sonic Boom. You ruined Sega... oh wait...

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
To be honest, Rare was already a shell of its former glory before Nintendo sold them. Not to mention most of the big names at Rare left the company ages ago.

So not much was truly lost.
True, Nintendo knew that too. That's why they sold them off. Although, Microsoft fully killed them during the 360 when Kinect came along and all they're doing now is Kinect Sports and stuff.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I imagine that's the idea they got in their heads. But I don't mind realistic designs from a previously cartoony character. So long as it's handled properly. You could say that was the case with Link and Samus(compare Zelda 1 Link to Twilight Princess Link for example) to an extent. Mega Man X was going to get one of these designs, for that prototype game but it was just that, a prototype. And it didn't look too terrible(more like an american superhero), could have used some tweaks is all. If someone were to tell me that it was a realistic Mega Man, I'd believe them. Not so much with the Bomberman reject.

Thing is, Samus and Link still keep a Japanese feel to them.

That X and Bomberman redesigns hardly retain anything that makes them iconic and the characters that they are.

Compare Link, Samus and Pit (1986 vs. Smash Bros. 4):
[collapse="1986 art work"]

[/collapse]

[collapse="Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U"]

[/collapse]

Yes, the latter look more detailed and more modern, but keep their most identifiable traits despite the artistic evolution.

The modern ones are still in-line with Japanese character design: more similar to modern anime like how the original designs were more similar to anime from back then.

You see there's a more natural evolution, without being forced. Sure, Pit was actually forced but it is a what-if design that managed to do the job well in emulating the same art evolution as the likes of Link and Samus.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Isn't it funny that Microsoft actually wanted to buy Nintendo back when the original Xbox was going to launch? It was rejected so we're good.
What? No wonder they purchased Rare from Nintendo.
The ETA on the GameStop website for everyone (except Bowser) has been 2/13 for a while now. Mega Man and Sonic are dated for 2/20.
I think Bowser is still a good one to get. Shame that happened though.

Thanks, Sonic Boom. You ruined Sega... oh wait...
I didn't regret my decision to buy Bowser at all. I like Bowser. Better than the other ones they had I didn't, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member

What? No wonder they purchased Rare from Nintendo.

I didn't regret my decision to buy Bowser at all. I like Bowser. Better than the other ones they had I didn't, that's for sure.
I'll get the source as soon as I can on that. Pretty much they wanted the Xbox to go big in Japan and ditch the GameCube.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I have no idea why Sega thought it was a good idea to redesign some of the sonic characters and introduce a new one. Then they make a tv show. I can't say anything about the games because I've never seen gameplay of it. Also I don't think they understand that people want to see more of Shadow, Blaze, Silver, maybe even Jet and Espio.

Strofirko

Smash Master
I was trying to forget that game even exists and you had to show me Edgerman of all things. :mad088:

That was a dumb move on Konami's part to think that an edgy Bomber Man title would please the dedicated Bomberman fans or the Xbox crowd. Now that I think of it, Edgerman and Bad Box Art Mega Man should hang out sometime and reminisce about games when they were at their prime. :troll:
Actually edgerman was inspired in a bad box art too:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I called it not being Dedede or Luigi! What do I win? Nothing? Meh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom