• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

sometimes they fail (:4shulk:).
The bite actually came from WarioWare. It's from a microgame where he bites a hotdog.

But just curious, what issues do you have with Shulk's design? I think his abilities are represented quite well. Sure some of the Monado Arts don't function the same way as the did in Xenoblade, or were made up, but I think they make sense considering what Monado can do, and all of his animations that were made up seem in character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
The bite actually came from WarioWare. It's from a microgame where he bites a hotdog.

But just curious, what issues do you have with Shulk's design? I think his abilities are represented quite well. Sure some of the Monado Arts don't function the same way as the did in Xenoblade, or were made up, but I think they make sense considering what Monado can do, and all of his animations that were made up seem in character.
Yes and no : it mostly came from Wario World, with the ability of Wario to suck and eat money, like Kirby. But it could be from this minigame, since his Wario Waft also comes from there.

As for :4shulk:, it's his personality that don't match the character pretty well. In Smash, he's literally a happy go lucky guy, while in his games, he's more serious. The fact that people will only remember him as a meme saddens me, since I'm pretty sure he's more complex than how he's represented in Smash. But I've never played Xenoblade, so I can't say a lot about it.

D

Deleted member

As for :4shulk:, it's his personality that don't match the character pretty well. In Smash, he's literally a happy go lucky guy, while in his games, he's more serious. The fact that people will only remember him as a meme saddens me, since I'm pretty sure he's more complex than how he's represented in Smash. But I've never played Xenoblade, so I can't say a lot about it.
You are correct in that he can be a lot more serious, but every single one of his lines (with the exception of "Now It's Shulk Time") is directly taken or paraphrased from Xenoblade. His victory quotes are either lines he says when he levels up, successfully changes the future, or wins a battle, while his taunt quotes (again, excepting "Now It's Shulk Time") are various lines he can say in battle. It is a shame that most people will just know him as the "I'm really feeling it" guy, but so long as you're not sitting in a corner and taunt spamming, he's in character. Also Sakurai has no control over localization. It's really the fault of the fanbase for turning him into the "character" he is now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
You are correct in that he can be a lot more serious, but basically every single one of his lines (with the exception of "Now It's Shulk Time") is directly taken or paraphrased from Xenoblade. His victory quotes are either lines he says when he levels up, successfully changes the future, or wins a battle, while his taunt quotes (excepting "Now It's Shulk Time") are various lines he can say in battle. It is a shame that most people will just know him as the "I'm really feeling it" guy, but so long as you're not sitting in a corner and taunt spamming, he's in character. Also Sakurai has no control over localization, so unless the Japanese Internet has a similar meme, then it's not his fault.
Yeah, I just don't like the way he's always portrayed as a "happy guy with no problems".

I still wonder why :4bowser: and :4dk: have gruntings over there real voices. I can understand for Bowser in Melee, he didn't had a voice at that time, so grunting and yelling was okay at that time, just like :luigimelee: having a high pitch voice from Mario (it was still funny though). But now ? He has his own voice, why would he need to only look like a big lizard turtle, when the games portrayed him as a, somewhat, intelligent but hot headed vilain.
Same goes with DK, why does he still do monkey noises ? He has a voice now, and even before with DK 64. I know Grant Kirkhope (voiced DK in DK 64) was called to do the voices for Melee, but the recordings were canceled by Sakurai. Why does he still do monkey noises, he doesn't do that in any of his games. It's weird.

On an other note, anyone wants to battle on Smash 4 Wii U ? I'm up for some matches.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeah, I just don't like the way he's always portrayed as a "happy guy with no problems".

I still wonder why :4bowser: and :4dk: have gruntings over there real voices. I can understand for Bowser in Melee, he didn't had a voice at that time, so grunting and yelling was okay at that time, just like :luigimelee: having a high pitch voice from Mario (it was still funny though). But now ? He has his own voice, why would he need to only look like a big lizard turtle, when the games portrayed him as a, somewhat, intelligent but hot headed vilain.
Same goes with DK, why does he still do monkey noises ? He has a voice now, and even before with DK 64. I know Grant Kirkhope (voiced DK in DK 64) was called to do the voices for Melee, but the recordings were canceled by Sakurai. Why does he still do monkey noises, he doesn't do that in any of his games. It's weird.

On an other note, anyone wants to battle on Smash 4 Wii U ? I'm up for some matches.
If you don't mind facing someone that you horribly outmatch, I'm game :p

D

Deleted member

Aw i'd play with you if you were asking to play Smash 3ds .-. I GOTS NO WII U .-.

i know, this reply doesnt matter ._.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
If you don't mind facing someone that you horribly outmatch, I'm game :p
If you want. At least that'll make you progress if you think you can't win. The best way to learn is to be aware of your mistakes and correct them afterall. :)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If you want. At least that'll make you progress if you think you can't win. The best way to learn is to be aware of your mistakes and correct them afterall. :)
I'll open a room. Custom fighters will be allowed, though I won't be using any myself. I may be using some custom stages, though - I'll let you know what they are after if you want.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I'll open a room. Custom fighters will be allowed, though I won't be using any myself. I may be using some custom stages, though - I'll let you know what they are after if you want.
Let's just play on basic stages, like Smash Ville or Battlefield, it's better for training than custom ones.
Also, I hope you only use custom moves and no boosts. :p

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Generally speaking, even in the world of Nintendo, there are bosses that look far more strange than the Yellow Devil. What kinds of games have you been playing?
Like recently, I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles, but ive also been doing Shadow the Hedgehog, Hyrule Warriors, Rise of Lyric, and Smash.
Give an example of something you don't find weird, to help us compare.
Something I don't find weird. Gohdan from Legend of Zelda Wind Waker.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Dude, you disconnected from it. And you also closed the room.
My internet must've hiccuped... I wonder what my service trouble is lately...

My phone's been dropping connections, too.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
My internet must've hiccuped... I wonder what my service trouble is lately...
Well, I'll open a room. We're going vanilla stuff, so no custom moves or stages. And we're going on stages like Battlefield, Smash ville, FD, System Lylat and Halbert. Okay ?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

I remember Sakurai said somewhere that giving those 2 characters and others the sounds they make seems more natural than giving them a voice. While I personally would want Bowser's "SHOWTIME" part, I'm okay with what he has now. It's better than his Melee voice which are commonly used monster sounds heard in cartoons and such.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Like recently, I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles, but ive also been doing Shadow the Hedgehog, Hyrule Warriors, Rise of Lyric, and Smash.

Something I don't find weird. Gohdan from Legend of Zelda Wind Waker.
I read that as "Gohan from Legend of Zelda Wind Waker".

Well, I'll open a room. We're going vanilla stuff, so no custom moves or stages. And we're going on stages like Battlefield, Smash ville, FD, System Lylat and Halbert. Okay ?
Got it. I'll go into detail about why I was suggesting custom stuff later, but I'll try again in your room for now.

HylianDuelist

Smash Cadet
I remember Sakurai said somewhere that giving those 2 characters and others the sounds they make seems more natural than giving them a voice. While I personally would want Bowser's "SHOWTIME" part, I'm okay with what he has now. It's better than his Melee voice which are commonly used monster sounds heard in cartoons and such.
Yeah, this is true. I heard they tried to gey DK's DK64 voice in 64 and Melee, but they changed their minds both times :p

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I read that as "Gohan from Legend of Zelda Wind Waker".

Got it. I'll go into detail about why I was suggesting custom stuff later, but I'll try again in your room for now.
Saving this image for future use.

Also, today I will be enjoying the company of myself for the first time in a while. Wanna see my starter kit?

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I swear I'm not doing this on purpose, @ Luggy Luggy ...
I know, your internet is a bit crappy if it crashes like that.
I think we should stop then. It would be better for your connexion. But it was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom