• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Keeps getting hotter and hotter.
Except Baby Peach is near the end after the gymnast and football ones. Oh and Pink Gold Peach is right at the end ;)
Oh and all this Splatoon news is great- Single player looks brilliant, another more strategic online mode, good matchmaking, and the best part is of course no voice chat! Everything is going just the way I wanted. :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a nifty question.

Which of Nintendo's series do you think have made the most impact, be it through culture (references in the media, pop culture, etc) or gaming exclusively (pioneering a genre, etc)?

If I were to say my opinion, I'd say...

Super Mario = Cultural and Gaming (obv)
Donkey Kong/Country = Cultural and Gaming (though Country is more so in the Gaming department, but DK himself has culture)
Pokemon = Cultural and Gaming (again, obv)
Legend of Zelda = Cultural and Gaming (the last major obv)
Metroid = Gaming (Pioneer of Metroidvania) and Culture (Pioneer of Female Protagonists in Gaming, though not the first to do so)
Kirby = Gaming (Extremely notable platformer known for its accessibility, fun, and ease [but also for its challenging post-game challenges])
Star Fox = Gaming (Star Fox 64 is arguably one of the most well-regarded in the rail shooter genre)
Animal Crossing = Gaming (A much-loved series and among the most acclaimed Life Sims. Large cult following, which may delve into culture)
Fire Emblem = Gaming (Pioneer of the Strategy/Tactical RPG, and among the most successful of its kind)
Punch-Out = Culture (Do you even know how often this gets referenced in the media? Add in the fact that the original for the NES had endorsement from a well-known celebrity...)

Just a few that came to mind. Any other viewpoints?

R0Y

Smash Master
Aside from the pre-rendered 3D graphics and maybe the tag-team element if DKC was first, I don't think the series was very innovative, fantastic though sure.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Here's a nifty question.

Which of Nintendo's series do you think have made the most impact, be it through culture (references in the media, pop culture, etc) or gaming exclusively (pioneering a genre, etc)?

What about Duck Hunt? The dog itself is iconic enough. And it was one of the first shooting games plus the use of the NES Zapper.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Here's a nifty question.

Donkey Kong/Country = Cultural and Gaming (though Country is more so in the Gaming department, but DK himself has culture)
Metroid = Gaming (Pioneer of Metroidvania) and Culture (Pioneer of Female Protagonists in Gaming, though not the first to do so)
Kirby = Gaming (Extremely notable platformer known for its accessibility, fun, and ease [but also for its challenging post-game challenges])
Star Fox = Gaming (Star Fox 64 is arguably one of the most well-regarded in the rail shooter genre)
Animal Crossing = Gaming (A much-loved series and among the most acclaimed Life Sims. Large cult following, which may delve into culture)
Fire Emblem = Gaming (Pioneer of the Strategy/Tactical RPG, and among the most successful of its kind)
Punch-Out = Culture (Do you even know how often this gets referenced in the media? Add in the fact that the original for the NES had endorsement from a well-known celebrity...)

Donkey Kong for sure
I would go in depth on this but I've got to disappear

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's a rumor claiming that Hideo Kojima is leaving Konami because he feels limited as part of the company.

Kojima says he wants to do new games, while Konami wants him to keep doing MGS sequels.

Now, doesn't this sound familiar?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here's a nifty question.

Probably Mario since he basically defines videogames in my opinion, Star Fox for the StarWars like style and "Do a Barrel Roll" being an Easter egg in Google, and Zelda since it's so inspirational as far as storyline, as well as Robin Williams naming his own daughter Zelda.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There's a rumor claiming that Hideo Kojima is leaving Konami because he feels limited as part of the company.

Kojima says he wants to do new games, while Konami wants him to keep doing MGS sequels.

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that he's leaving after the Phantom Pain. Though with Kojima, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all still apart of some elaborate ruse. Why? I don't know, it's Kojima.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that he's leaving after the Phantom Pain. Though with Kojima, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all still apart of some elaborate ruse. Why? I don't know, it's Kojima.
Unless...Kojima and Sakurai plan on founding a new company. And both Nintendo and Konami will team up for a Mario X Metal Gear crossover.

Not really. As you can make an entire list of "creators who wanted to do their own thing but couldn't because reasons".

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh my, what a surprise... *yawns*
Actually, it kinda is.
I said this over in the Rumors and Leaks group, and I'll say it here. Implying that they've been toys all this time, what does that make the trophies then? Technically speaking they're not exactly meant to be played with.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Did people skip the intro in the first Smash Bros.?

I could've sworn that was stated from the very beginning.
This.

The games have always been obvious about it. Toys, trophies... The same principle.

Not really. As you can make an entire list of "creators who wanted to do their own thing but couldn't because reasons".
:facepalm:

The reason for Kojima leaving Konami, should the rumor be true, is the exact same reason as Sakurai leaving HAL.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Missed the Yoshi wars.
GOD DAMN IT. :yoshi64:
I poached myself a Yoshi, Plebs :yoshi64::yoshimelee::yoshi2::4yoshi:
Also, mr. Sonic Buddha, I've got nothing else to say other than you should lock your windows at night. :yoshimelee:
Why? Eh, for no reason. At all. *pulls out a knfe* hehehehehehhehahHAHAHAHAHAH

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Aside from the pre-rendered 3D graphics and maybe the tag-team element if DKC was first, I don't think the series was very innovative, fantastic though sure.
Hence why I put it as Donkey Kong/Country. :p

The character himself and the arcade game have undeniable impact on both fronts. Adding his own series on top of that was more of just icing, haha. Felt it was at least worthy of mention.

D

Deleted member

The reason for Kojima leaving Konami, should the rumor be true, is the exact same reason as Sakurai leaving HAL.
Almost nothing but Metal Gear sequels in Kojima's case, almost nothing but Kirby sequels in Sakurai's case.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Actually, it kinda is.
I said this over in the Rumors and Leaks group, and I'll say it here. Implying that they've been toys all this time, what does that make the trophies then? Technically speaking they're not exactly meant to be played with.
The trophies symbolize the kid growing up to a teenager. Since he is no longer a kid, he doesn't want toys anymore and decides he wants collectables instead, but still wishes to play with them. The fact that he grew up also sorta explains Melee's "darker and edgier" look compared to 64 as well as the first appearence of Crazy Hand, since he's probably going through the "edgier is cooler" fase.

In "Brawl", he has now became an adult. He still plays with his trophies, but society looks down on him for it. This explains the Subspace Emissary's main antagonist, "Taboo", and why he manipulates Master Hand. However, the trophies triumph against the enemy, which symbolizes the now-grown up kid decides to stop caring about other's opinions and continues to play.

About the fourth game, I'm guessing that he had a kid, and passed down his trophies to him, which explains the more colorful and vibrant look in this game.

I still prefer to think that it's the real characters fighting in a friendly competition though. It sounds more fun to me. :yoshimelee:
Also, a large portion of this was taken from Game Theory's video on the lore.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Oh hai, how are you all ? I just repaired my Melee disc and tried to replay the game for the first time after, what, 3 or 4 years. And sweet baby Jesus, it's weird when you go from Smash 4 back to Melee. But it's fun, really. I always prefered Melee for the fun, the freedom it always gave me. And it's good to play Doc at its best. :drmario:

Anyway, what's new here ?

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Oh hai, how are you all ? I just repaired my Melee disc and tried to replay the game for the first time after, what, 3 or 4 years. And sweet baby Jesus, it's weird when you go from Smash 4 back to Melee. But it's fun, really. I always prefered Melee for the fun, the freedom it always gave me. And it's good to play Doc at its best. :drmario:

Melee Sheik is god:sheikmelee:
You can win matches and disrespect at the same time :happysheep:
Im terrible

D

Deleted member

Nothing much.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The trophies symbolize the kid growing up to a teenager. Since he is no longer a kid, he doesn't want toys anymore and decides he wants collectables instead, but still wishes to play with them. The fact that he grew up also sorta explains Melee's "darker and edgier" look compared to 64 as well as the first appearence of Crazy Hand, since he's probably going through the "edgier is cooler" fase.

In "Brawl", he has now became an adult. He still plays with his trophies, but society looks down on him for it. This explains the Subspace Emissary's main antagonist, "Taboo", and why he manipulates Master Hand. However, the trophies triumph against the enemy, which symbolizes the now-grown up kid decides to stop caring about other's opinions and continues to play.

About the fourth game, I'm guessing that he had a kid, and passed down his trophies to him, which explains the more colorful and vibrant look in this game.

I still prefer to think that it's the real characters fighting in a friendly competition though. It sounds more fun to me. :yoshimelee:
Also, a large portion of this was taken from Game Theory's video on the lore.
But wouldn't that go against the whole "they are toys" quote? Because they aren't the plushies like we see in Smash 64.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604

-.- I frequently play Melee and smash 4... the only problem is i sometimes try to L cancel and wavedash in smash 4. :foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee:all the waaaay....
Edit: MisterVideoGaming, depending on what you are talking about, they are now action figures, witch can be played with. (I play with amiibos (Witch are "trophys") and action figures.)
Wow ( and ) in a ( ) WAT

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
But wouldn't that go against the whole "they are toys" quote? Because they aren't the plushies like we see in Smash 64.
Here's the meaning of the word toy, taken from the internet.
Toy:
: something a child plays with

: something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment

: something that is very small
The trophies fall into the second and third categories as you can see. Just because they aren't plushies doesn't mean they aren't toys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom