• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't be wrong in ditching Shulk. I thought at first he might be Super Saiyan Marth with an Xboxhuegest but after playing against him, his windups are crippling. He might be able to stall some matchups with his epeed but that's it.
I still do well with Shulk and use him most of the time (Which implies that I don't use Robin that much and I rarely use Ness). His arts change the mechanics of his standard attacks. Buster makes his attacks safer on shield which allow for great pokes (thank Sakurai his f-air's landing lag was reduced), Smash allows his grabs to KO so I don't have to rely on hard reads, jump Shulk is outright scary because of his air mobility, and speed Shulk is the most insane of them all. Shield is a bit underwhelming but it helps in delaying the inevitable. The windup is something that halters Shulk but being ultra-mobile while having humongous range speaks for itself if you switching between jump or speed (or just running Decisive speed) most of the time. That, and his counter is ridiculous

Blah. Stuff. Thanks to anyone who advised me not to give damn about the hate

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I only read tiers to learn the advantages top tier characters have from the rest. Regardless, in Melee :luigimelee: and :falconmelee: have no problem handling the top 3.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So your win is null because you ignore tiers? I don't get it. I ignore tiers all the time
Yes, and you also play for fun.
The best tier lists are created using data from hundreds and hundreds battles determining the best characters. Yes, they will change as new strategies are discovered, but that doesn't mean you should always ignore the current tier list. Especially if you want to win a match.
There are players who play characters that are low tiered and do very well, but they're the exception, not the rule. They practice their "bad" character rigorously and are exception at the game. If you try to play a low-tier character you don't know well or you aren't skilled and you go up against a serious player who uses a superior character, you will lose.
Of course, this advice may have no value to you, since you play "for fun".

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yes, and you also play for fun.
The best tier lists are created using data from hundreds and hundreds battles determining the best characters. Yes, they will change as new strategies are discovered, but that doesn't mean you should always ignore the current tier list. Especially if you want to win a match.
There are players who play characters that are low tiered and do very well, but they're the exception, not the rule. They practice their "bad" character rigorously and are exception at the game. If you try to play a low-tier character you don't know well or you aren't skilled and you go up against a serious player who uses a superior character, you will lose.
Of course, this advice may have no value to you, since you play "for fun".
well getting of tiers...

what is everyone doing?

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I only read tiers to learn the advantages top tier characters have from the rest. Regardless, in Melee :luigimelee: and :falconmelee: have no problem handling the top 3.
I've gotten into following tier discussions for Project M because it's a continually changing platform. It's also interesting seeing how characters are being brought up to the power level of Melee's S list (and consequently how characters like Captain Falcon got kicked out)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Of course, Smash 4 is the one game where I myself don't care about tiers at the moment, because

A) It's been out for three months
B) Patches
C) This is probably the most balanced Smash game

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
well getting of tiers...

what is everyone doing?
Playing Spíder-Man Unlimited trying to clear the Cyborg Spider-Man event.
ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!

Anyway, would you guys rather have Toy Story 4 revolve around Woody and Andy's dad or the unconfirmed "love story" Lasseter is toying with?
You mean Buzz and Jessie or what?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Playing Spíder-Man Unlimited trying to clear the Cyborg Spider-Man event.

You mean Buzz and Jessie or what?
Toy Story 4's plot is going to be a love story but no one knows who it's going to involve.
I've gotten into following tier discussions for Project M because it's a continually changing platform. It's also interesting seeing how characters are being brought up to the power level of Melee's S list (and consequently how characters like Captain Falcon got kicked out)
Project M is interesting since the devs strive to balance all of the characters. I like that it adds more variety to tournaments. The alts are good too.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

The Master Emerald holder, Knuckles the Echidna, is fighting the true ennemy of this world : the chuckling blu hedgehog.
While the Chuckling Hedgehog was strong, Knuckles The Echidna from Angel Island is tougher than leather, and by flexing his muscles, easily kill the Blu terror. But evil never dies, and each year, he comes back, with more crappy games to sell to humanity. Only Knuckles the Echidna from Angel Island can save us, poor flowers of the earth, from this blue anarchy.
Good luck Magical Emerald Holder, may the power of the Master Emerald allows you to feel.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It would suck if Mewtwo wasn't held up to the same balancing standards as the rest of the cast or had some glaring oversights like :4shulk:. I'm pretty sure the "no more balance patches" thing includes him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm gonna see if I can somehow get Smash 3DS soon. I won't get anything else for now (except maybe sell my PS1 copies of Final Fantasy VII and VIII and get their Steam versions instead) cause my backlog of games that aren't open-ended is huuuuge

Also, trying to learn the fundamentals of GarageBand, and music in general.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Toy Story 4's plot is going to be a love story but no one knows who it's going to involve.
I have mixed feelings on this. Well, as long as they don't make something stupid like a relationship upgrade between Rex and Trixie only for being dinosaur toys...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I agree. But Diddy tho?
Don't even get me started on Diddy. I hate monkeys as animals anyway, I always have, the revolting ****-throwing little ********, and now I'm seeing them everywhere.

Imagine if he becomes the new Brawl MK. Lol.
That would be a problem.
Not just in my normal "I can't play as top-tiers out of principle" kind of problem-worrytude.
If that happened, people would accuse Nintendo of Bribing Your Way To Victory. Just like PSASBR Kat and Isaac Clarke.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Hey guys, how's it going?

I'm gonna see if I can somehow get Smash 3DS soon. I won't get anything else for now (except maybe sell my PS1 copies of Final Fantasy VII and VIII and get their Steam versions instead) cause my backlog of games that aren't open-ended is huuuuge

Also, trying to learn the fundamentals of GarageBand, and music in general.
Don't sell VII.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm cautious about Toy Story 4. And Finding Dory/Incredibles 2/etc. Why? Because Cars 2 taught me that Pixar is in fact capable of screwing up.

This is coming from someone who actually liked Cars 1.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Ash once again proves how gravity is useless in this world. Also very flexible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom