• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Roadtrip to Carson City Interest Thread (updated 2/27)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
There is going to be a big Brawl tournament on April 5th in Carson City, NV. I already know that some Socal people are making plans to carpool up there, so I decided to make a thread and see who all wants to go.

We could probably get housing and **** if this gets planned early.

The trip is ~860 miles roundtrip from Riverside. It will most likely be more for those that have to go around and pick everyone up.

We could look for renting cars at various sites. I was checking out www.budget.com and found a 5 seat Hyundai with 25-36 MPG at $45 a day.

We could also look for trains, buses, etc. But we should all travel together.

Tournament thread

Confirmed Players

Gimpy's car
- Gimpyfish
- Mango
- Lucky
- PsychoMidget

???'s car
- Extragrandeben
- Futile
- Kouryuu

...and Glenn.

Interested Players
- JTB
- Connor
- Chiefrocka
- Nestor
- Rob West

So yeah, if you are interested in going, post and ****. I kinda want to go just because the AZ roadtrip last year was so fun, and it would be great to go to another OoS tournament with a big group.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
What we really need are drivers. I have a old truck, but it eats up gas so fast, plus its not very comfortable for 5 people.

We could always rent a van, then take 8 people in one car or something.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'm going, but I don't know if I'll throw my hand up in need of housing, especially if it's a 1-day tourney. If there's hotel options near the venue, please let me know. Or I'll just sleep in my truck or w/e.

--GCII

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
If I can go and CAN drive, my car gets pretty decent milage. I'd be willing to take 3 others in my car IF I can go.

I guarantee nothing however.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Some calculations on renting a 5 seat vehicle.

Lets assume the trip is 900 miles roundtrip, with gas at $3.50 a gallon (an approximation) and a car I found for $45 a day. I'm assuming we rent the car for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So a total rate of $135. And the car I was looking at gets 25-36 mpg, so lets assume worst case scenario of 25 mpg.

Breaking down prices
- 900 miles / 25 mpg = 36 gallons of gas
- 36 gallons * $3.5 = $126 + $135 = $261
- $261 / 5 = $52.2 per person

Thats not horribly bad, especially in worst case scenario. Since we will be driving on a stretch of road for a long time, we will get more than 25 mpg easily. Gas prices are an uncertainity since this is 2 months away and gas can easily change in a short time.

Other things to take into account:

- Costs for housing (assuming we don't get a smasher to house us)
- Food
- Tournament costs

cheifrocka

Smash Apprentice
Well my car gets good mileage, I COULD take 3 people aside from myself (4 uncomfortably - it's a 1990 toyota corolla) assuming I got the gas money for it.

On the plus side I have a bumpin sound system with two 12 inch woofers. :D

festizzio

Smash Champion
I would love to go to this, only problem is I wouldn't dare drive my car that far, gets terrible gas mileage and it's pretty old. I like the idea of renting a van though, that would be hella fun. Except you have to be 25 to rent a car, at least in California. I don't think anyone here is 25. :-\

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I'll probably go since I was planning on traveling for Brawl. And of course, assuming nothing comes up at the last minute.

Zoap

Smash Master
Scamp is 30 ask him. Also dont forget that car rentals have taxes which on $135 could change the total depending on what taxes they apply.

pockyD

Smash Legend
scamp is a dinosaur

and you aren't in socal anyway are you ricardo?

edit: also when i first moved here (norcal anyway) i could rent a car at 21 (it costs more though than if you're 25 or over)

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I actually had a rental car when I was 19 for when my car was in the shop for over a month. My parents set it all up but they knew that I was going to be the main driver of the car, so you guys should check that out, and see if you can get your parental unit to sing off on it, assuming they still do that anyway. The company was Enterprise.

I think some companies rent to you if you're under 25 if you have a major credit card (not debit) or something.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
It depends on the company but usually if you're under 25 they force you to get some kind of bull**** insurance and generally make life harder for you. But I'm sure it's because our ancestors who were under 25 screwed everything up for us.

I'm not 30, by the way. I think I'm something like 32. That's easy to remember because it's Magic Johnson's number.

extragrandeben

Smash Journeyman
If someone wants to get together and rent that van, I have no problem driving. If not, we'll probably take my car which is a 99 Camry but the gas mileage isn't that great.

Anyone want to carpool maybe in their car that has better gas mileage? I'll drive if that's cool with you.

hitori

Smash Journeyman
This is Cameron aka Fresh on hitori's account.

If you guys need housing there will several spots available at our houses but we will only be doing so many per region. There will be a hotel for the tournament that yous guys can crash at for a discount price but I am still in negotiations with a couple hotels. If you have any questions email me at ddrbpc@yahoo.com or call me 1-775-343-9234

Charoo

Smash Champion
we got this.

Put me down for now. I need to paly brawl again before I know if I really got this haha.

edrees needs to come with me.

bbb

Smash Champion
socal? brawl? carpooling?

**** sounds down, I'm totally in for kickin it old school all the way to some tourney somewhere, sign me up.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm thinking housing for the Super Smash Twins would be needed, and we haven't really asked around yet.
Also, I heard something about vegan food X^)

hitori

Smash Journeyman
timmy/tommy are vegan? o.0

I don't think any of the smashers down here are vegan, though CLAW is vegetarian...he and I both live pretty close to some great vegetarian/vegan restaurants if you two are interested!! ^^

Charoo

Smash Champion
i want to carpool with u guys too but I'm not driving guys haha

edit: you got this

The Game II

Smash Champion
With the "I Miss Melee" thread in full effect, I just remembered about this.

So ... have people's plans changed, or are most people still planning to go to this?

--GCII

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'll determine my plans based on how many people do want to go. I rather not go since I'm saving up for a new car, but if interest for this explodes in socal, I'll probably go. Since I'm not terribly fond of the game, just having a good time with other socal people would take priority.

But...theres like no one from socal going.

T0MMY

Smash Master
timmy/tommy are vegan? o.0

I don't think any of the smashers down here are vegan, though CLAW is vegetarian...he and I both live pretty close to some great vegetarian/vegan restaurants if you two are interested!! ^^
Yes, we're known for our veganness almost as much as our Smashiness. Hehe.
OR & CA have vegans, I don't know if NV has vegans as far as I know, but it wasn't until a few months ago I knew they had Smash players X^)
CLAW should show us a nice vegetarian restaurant when we're in town.

Top Bottom