• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal *POUND* 4 travel stuff

Lovage

Smash Hero

pound 4 is coming up really fast
for those that don't know it's january 16th, 17th and 18th (MLK monday)

[for those of you who havn't convinced themselves to go to this tournament yet, it's going to have every notable smash player you can think of, including Armada, Zgetto, and way more european smashers, 100+ TVs, an obvious bias for MELEE, and a great venue. if you think you aren't good enough to fly across the country for smash, you must know that huge out of state tournaments like this are one of the most amazing ways to level up, think of it as an investment for when you start ****** socal]

it's about time for us to buy tickets. i've been searching on bing and expedia for a few days, i'm planning to buy my ticket tomorrow. i made this thread so that we can coordinate our travel arrangements and have 4-10 socal people on one flight and get a **** hotel room together

flights: there's a looooot to choose from in terms of flights, but for the purposes of this thread i'm going to assume that smashers are a) lazy and b) cheap, so i've been looking at the cheapest, most convenient flights.

first things first, the days of our trip . this is a 3 day tournament currently split up into this schedule:

saturday day 1: melee only
sunday day 2: melee + brawl
monday day 3: brawl only

one of the biggest attractions about this tournament are plank's promises to have over 100 TVs, bought for the cheap on ebay, craigslist, plus community brought setups. and so far he has said that during the brawl only day (monday) there will be lots of setups for melee friendlies.

so i've been planning up to this point to stay for the brawl day and hang out with our favorite smashers from all over the country, playing friendlies and getting drunk/swimming at the hotel. it's like if they managed to finish genesis in one day, would you wanna drive back to socal the next day? *** that, and this goes even more so for a tournament across the country that is going to be (arguably) bigger than genesis, so as of now i'm planning my trip for

flying in 1/15/10 (friday) and flying back 1/19/10 (tuesday)

discounts/offers

the smashers from puerto rico have set up a 10% discount for all out-of-state travelers going to *POUND* 4 who are flying on AirTrans

Kasht said:
I booked 8 plane tickets for my players in Puerto Rico who are attending Pound 4, so we have 8 players confirmed. BTW, I dont play Smash, but I am the person who makes all the travel arrangements for the PR players (FAST1, Genesis, etc...)

While doing this, I requested an EVENT CODE with Airtran Airways for all the out-of-state players flying into BWI to attend the event. This EVENT CODE will give you a 10% discount on your fare, without taxes. I encourage everybody to use this code as I need to meet a number of people using the code, otherwise I have to pay for the difference.

Anyhow, here is what you have to do:
Kasht said:
  • Contact the AirTran Airways EventSavers Desk at 1-866-68EVENT (1-866-683-8368) for reservations.
  • Provide the following Event Code: BWI011510
  • Provide the following Event Name: Pound 4
  • Provide the flight details or ask the customer rep to help you find the cheapest rate.
  • Once the cheapest rate is found, they will apply a 10% discount on the fare.
  • Provide payment info to customer rep
  • Enjoy your 10% discount!!!

If someone has any questions dont hesitate to ask me. Also, if someone needs help with finding flights or paying for it, let me know and I can probably assist.

Thanks.

Kasht

because of this i've been trying to find the cheapest AirTrans ticket over any other airline, because we can tack on a reduced 10% to the price.

airports: LAX vs. SNA

LAX and SNA are the two biggest airports in the socal area, LAX is of course in los angeles, and SNA is in orange county. they are about 45-60 minutes away from each other on the 405. while SNA might be closer to some people (irvine,) the selection of flights is much smaller, being that it is a smaller airport, so orange county/irvine area smashers may not be able to find an AirTrans ticket (10% off) to Maryland for our selected days. i can't decide the travel plans of every smasher in socal, but it would be dope if our melee community could get a good group of people flying out of LAX and all going on the same flight instead of splitting up. but its up to YOU.

the best flight i've found so far:

hotels:
plank has set up a hotel discount at 89$ a night at the marriot close to the venue. this includes a free shuttle service every day bringing is there and back. 6-8 smashers in a room = hella cheap per night. btw, if you were at genesis, you know that hotels are the way to go, too much fun. so anyone who from socal who is going to *POUND* 4, let's get a few rooms together

if you want to coordinate plans or discuss travel arrangements, aim me at lingbling6

Zoap

Smash Master
It should also be mentioned that the schedule is tentative. It'd feel pretty ****ty to book coming back monday and have melee singles extended through monday.

Also depending on how many of you have schedule issues, priceline will give anywhere between 20%-40% off your flights but you may end up with ****ty times and a layover of 2 hrs. Still guaranteed for the dates you choose but 40% off of 279 is roughly 108 making a possible 170-180 ticket plausible. I'm unaware if you get to pick your seats, but if an airline accepts your offer I'm 90% sure you do.

Lovage

Smash Hero
It should also be mentioned that the schedule is tentative. It'd feel pretty ****ty to book coming back monday and have melee singles extended through monday.

Also depending on how many of you have schedule issues, priceline will give anywhere between 20%-40% off your flights but you may end up with ****ty times and a layover of 2 hrs. Still guaranteed for the dates you choose but 40% off of 279 is roughly 108 making a possible 170-180 ticket plausible. I'm unaware if you get to pick your seats, but if an airline accepts your offer I'm 90% sure you do.
can you explain this discount more?

Zoap

Smash Master
Well you go to priceline and type in all your stuff(dates airports etc) and get the prices to pop up. after that you will see a name your price icon this will initiate the discount. first it asked for your preferred airport. Note that if you select say LAX and SNA then you could be flying out of either, so if airports are an issue only select the ones you want. After that there is a little box that says name your price. Now its important in the very beginning when all the prices pop up to look at the taxes and the amount. For this actual date and airport LAX-BWI taxes are $21, now this will give you a general idea of what number to put into the name your price box as taxes are calculated on it later. so lets say i want to go for the gusto and save 40%, 40% of 258(price without taxes) is roughly $100. So I type in $170 then enter in some phony name on the bottom. The reason i say a phony name is if you get a price back that you're not cool with and would like to try again(until you feel its good enough) then who cares if the name is correct. So with the 170 taxes bump it up to 219(uncool because they charge basically double) but thats $60 off or more than 20% of the original ticket.

So when you get a price your happy with go back and put in your real name(the one that matches your California Drivers License or ID card ill explain why later). Next review that you like all the specs, NOW THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART!! Please check the times on which all flights are leaving out of said airport. Why you ask because with the name your price they have a few stipulations, first and foremost is that "The airlines will choose your flight times. Your trip will start between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. and you will arrive no later than 12:30 a.m. the next day. " If you get caught on anything after 8 pm for a Friday flight you could be late on Saturday. Now the latest flight from LAX-BWI leaves at 10:50 arriving at 11:20am Saturday. The other stipulation is you will get a layover and it could be up to 2 hrs long.

So now its up to you, there are about 15 or so flights leaving out of LAX that day to BWI, the chances that you catch that 1 are slim but is it worth the $60 to possibly miss out on some warmup time.

Now after you enter in all of your info priceline will notify you(usually with in 2-3 days) of whether your offer has been accepted. If it has then you just saved some money, if not then you can try a rebid.

To the ID issue, the reason I say it has to match your ID perfectly is now most major airports are being strict on this rule and will not allow passage if there are any differences.

Any more questions just feel free to ask.

Zoap

Smash Master
Tickets out of LAX to IAD are 190.40 right now. Plank is picking up from this airport but if you book it please let him know you need pickup.

EDIT: Also remember the price on Registering goes up another 2.50 at the end of this month to 52.50. So make sure you register.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
that's the cheapest ticket i've EVER seen from cali, that's really awesome.

edit:: zoap i love you

Lovage

Smash Hero
so
i talked to zoap about tickets to pound, and the priceline "name your price" system. you CAN save 20-50 dollars on your ticket by "offering" a price and hoping they accept it, but you have no control over your flight. it can leave anytime between 6am and 10pm, and it very often has 3 hour layovers in a random city (ATL.)

so i'm probably going to just buy a regular ticket, there are a few AA tickets from LAX -> IAD 240 including tax, that's probably as good as it gets for right now.

oh and that 190.40 ticket got sold out super fast so that's off the table

MacD

Banned via Administration
i need to buy my ticket too

irvine is being lame and rumor has it me and zhu are most likely the only ones going (though i could be wrong)

i think it'd be cooler to go with smashers out of LAX rather than hope john wayne airport is better, so let me know what ups with your ticket (when you're going to buy, what times you're looking at, etc.) and i'll buy mine with you

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah that's what i'm hoping for...let's all fly out of LAX so we can sit next to each other :)

wtf, kiras not going?

MacD

don't quote me, but i know he wants to, but it's something like money/us wasting money going to tourny play johns and school johns or something

all i know is he said he probably won't go

ps kira laughs evertime he thinks of our tourny play tickets because i picked seats next to him... i don't get why it's that funny

MacD

if you wanna be with the cool kids, go to orbitz and use this info to get the correct flight

LAX>IAD 10:55a – 7:00p
IAD>LAX 9:30a – 11:58a

we might even tell you our seat numbers and what airline we're using if you really wanna know

Lovage

Smash Hero
ticket was 259.10, this is the cheapest nonstop flight ur gonna find

Friday, January 15, 2010
United Airlines # 856

Los Angeles International (LAX) to Washington Dulles Intl (IAD)
Departure (LAX): January 15, 10:55 AM PST (morning)
Arrival (IAD): January 15, 7:00 PM EST (evening)

Tuesday, January 19, 2010
United Airlines # 83

Washington Dulles Intl (IAD) to Los Angeles International (LAX)
Departure (IAD): January 19, 9:30 AM EST (morning)
Arrival (LAX): January 19, 11:58 AM PST (morning)

we bought seats 16a, 16b, 16c on the flight up
and seats 20a, 20b, 20c on the flight down

BUY FAST OR ELSE U WILL PAY 40 BUX MORE

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I bought my tix

Los Angeles (LAX) to Baltimore (BWI) 01/15/10 9:05 AM - 4:59 PM UNITED 306
Baltimore (BWI) to Los Angeles (LAX) 01/18/10 5:18 PM - 8:12 PM UNITED 307

I'm down to split a hotel with ya'll. Just let me know.

-Tafokints (Aim: L99 at kmart)

MacD

the times of our flights got changed

Friday
Departure: (LAX): January 15, 11:39 AM PST (morning)
Arrival: (IAD): January 15, 7:23 PM EST (evening)

Tuesday
Departure: (IAD): January 19, 8:55 AM EST (morning)
Arrival: (LAX): January 19, 11:41 AM PST (morning)

Zoap

Smash Master
2 weeks ago they were under a 100 round trip Hugo. Now I believe there about 120 round trip.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
yep it's gonna be AMAZING

plank is buying a bunch of TVs from goodwill. soooo many setups

DJMirror

Smash Master
I have enough money for 3 people to fly there and rent 1 hotel room and to cover both melee and brawl singles and doubles for one person but i cant go =(

Top Bottom